The Official Gas Price Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.

I just paid $4.08 per gallon for premium at the local Chevron this morning- $60.85 to fill the car.
The goal is $5 per gallon for regular... ... I cant wait!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just filled up tonight. $3.69/gallon for 93.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
pffffffffffffft we don't even get 93 out here... and our 91's over $4/gallon
Old 04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
just filled up tonight. $3.69/gallon for 93.

Cry me a river dude.

Put in $72 this morning for 55 litres (14.7 gallons of 91). Works out to $4.89 a gallon. ($1.32 a litre)
Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
The oil companies have invested so much money in preventing anything substantial from coming to the market. They need petroleum to continue to power pretty much everything, so they will spend as much money as they have to in order to insure this.
And here comes the tinfoil hat crowd. You have no idea how supply and demand works do you?

I hope gas gets more expensive, there are way too many people driving huge SUV's around here. 90% of the time there is one woman in it streching to see over the steering wheel.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
3.59 for 93 yesterday... it's gone up 22 cents since tuesday
Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I shoot people

I went to look at cars yesterday with my friend who's shopping... and to my surprise the Camery Hybrid is actually cheaper than I thought... I'm trying to convince her to get it over the mid size SUVs she's eyeing (she's got a 2 year old daughter). When I was in Vancouver earlier this month I rented a Toyota Matrix and I gotta admit... the gas consumption was just soooooo economical that now I'm thinking of gettin' something on the side for DD...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
On a side note..saw a H2 Hummer driver driving oh so slowly...was he conserving? From 2 MPG to 5 MPG...LOL

we just all have to change our spending habits to have cash for gas...but then the economy suffers by you diverting money from normal everyday goods. No win situation.

Last edited by Black Tire; 04-21-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I shoot people

I say for those of you that's whining about the gas prices... but yet must have your Starbucks everyday... well guess what?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<<<< doesn't drink starbucks or any other kind of coffee
Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
On a side note..saw a H2 Hummer driver driving oh so slowly...was he conserving? From 2 MPG to 5 MPG...LOL

we just all have to change our spending habits to have cash for gas...but then the economy suffers by you diverting money from normal everyday goods. No win situation.
He was probably outta gas...

Cant wait for the new Fit.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by phile

Cant wait for the new Fit.

That has started to cross my mind as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:37 PM
B A N N E D

anyone else see this yet?

http://www.chryslerllc.com/en/refuel/

$2.99/gal when you go through Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$4.07 a gallon when i filled up for 55 bucks today. Fucking disgusting!!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zguy95135
I'd be happy, even joyful if premium was $3.67. I filled up yesterday at $4.11 a gallon, and that was cheap

pretty sad when we start saying $4 gallon is cheap .
Old 05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
10th Gear

Overhyped?

Does anyone else not really care what gas prices are doing? Every night I watch the news, the show has to include some sort of gas price crisis update. Unless you're driving 5,000 miles a month, how much does this REALLY affect your bottom line each month? I generally use about 25-30 gallons of gas a month, and I only get average gas mileage out of my car. So if it goes up $0.50 a gallon in a month, it screws me out of $15. I'm not saying $15 is an insignificant amount of money, but is it really worth national attention on a daily basis? I get the fact that if it does that EVERY month for awhile, it really does become a huge problem, but it hasn't done that at all. Consequently, I feel like there are far more pressing issues to deal with right now than gas prices.

I do think one good thing comes out of the media overhyping this issue, and that is the fact that people are now far more hesitant to drive enormous SUVs that they don't actually need. People are starting to buy cars that are size-appropriate for what they intend on using them for, and not just stuck in the rather juvenile "mine-is-bigger" competition. Yay for that. Still though, I think gas prices are focused on way too much.

Anyone else with me on this one, or am I the only person that worries more about paying the rest of my [far larger] bills than about how much it costs me to fill up my car?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
anyone else see this yet?

http://www.chryslerllc.com/en/refuel/

$2.99/gal when you go through Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep?
Yep- there's a thread in CarTalk. The problems are that you have to get a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, and all SRT8s are excluded from the promo.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:35 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Yep- there's a thread in CarTalk. The problems are that you have to get a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, and all SRT8s are excluded from the promo.

i've had some nice jeeps in the past but i don't think i'd touch a new one (considering the wrangler is also excluded from that promo).

don't think i could justify dropping $38 grand on a commander which isn't too bad if you need to haul a soccer team or 4 dogs like my mom does.

why doesn't bmw do this kind of promo???
Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Cry me a river dude.

Put in $72 this morning for 55 litres (14.7 gallons of 91). Works out to $4.89 a gallon. ($1.32 a litre)
cost me $78 to fill up the TL the other day, drove around with the gas light on a little longer than I thought, I pumped right around 59-60litres.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
it was like 65ish dollars to fill up the TL..

i think i need to fix my bike and ride it to school.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:25 PM
K D
Cruisin'

You americans are still pretty lucky with your gas prices. Seeing that the dollar is almost the same accross the border you guys are still saving a bunch. Its costing me $70 to fill up the TL here in Alberta, Canada! I would love to be able to fill it up for $45-50 again!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Meh...we've still got it better than most places. I was in England last summer and it was about 95 pence per liter. That comes out to $7.25 per US gallon at the time. Now that's expensive.

To fill up the RL at that price would cost me about $120.

Personally, I think these high prices are a good thing. It gives people a reason to seriously invest in viable alternatives.

Last edited by PortlandRL; 05-11-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Personally, I think these high prices are a good thing. It gives people a reason to seriously invest in viable alternatives.
it makes the economics very favorable for alternative research and development. One of my professors was being interviewed for a spot on gas prices (morning news) as he is an economist and they started to cut him off after he got on a tangent about how the prices are good for the environment and alternative research and capital projects.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by baxter263
Does anyone else not really care what gas prices are doing? Every night I watch the news, the show has to include some sort of gas price crisis update. Unless you're driving 5,000 miles a month, how much does this REALLY affect your bottom line each month? I generally use about 25-30 gallons of gas a month
I guess you don't drive very much. I commute alot and I fill up twice a week. Thats 130 (65 dollar to fill up) dollar a week for driving..X 4 = 520$. (could be another car payment) Now when it was 1 something..it would cost me ONLY half of that. So yeah it would affect me alot to pay double each month.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sifuacura
I guess you don't drive very much. I commute alot and I fill up twice a week. Thats 130 (65 dollar to fill up) dollar a week for driving..X 4 = 520$. (could be another car payment) Now when it was 1 something..it would cost me ONLY half of that. So yeah it would affect me alot to pay double each month.
Well at some point you may have to look at weather or not it is economical to move closer to work. I do about 20K miles a year, and I only fill up once per week. If you are doing 40K miles to work each year, you are commuting too much.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Kang Ho

Just fill up my gas, $60
Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Does anyone else not really care what gas prices are doing? Every night I watch the news, the show has to include some sort of gas price crisis update. Unless you're driving 5,000 miles a month, how much does this REALLY affect your bottom line each month? I generally use about 25-30 gallons of gas a month, and I only get average gas mileage out of my car. So if it goes up $0.50 a gallon in a month, it screws me out of $15. I'm not saying $15 is an insignificant amount of money, but is it really worth national attention on a daily basis? I get the fact that if it does that EVERY month for awhile, it really does become a huge problem, but it hasn't done that at all. Consequently, I feel like there are far more pressing issues to deal with right now than gas prices.

I do think one good thing comes out of the media overhyping this issue, and that is the fact that people are now far more hesitant to drive enormous SUVs that they don't actually need. People are starting to buy cars that are size-appropriate for what they intend on using them for, and not just stuck in the rather juvenile "mine-is-bigger" competition. Yay for that. Still though, I think gas prices are focused on way too much.

Anyone else with me on this one, or am I the only person that worries more about paying the rest of my [far larger] bills than about how much it costs me to fill up my car?

I happen to agree with you, I started driving when gas was $3/gal so I kinda got used to it quickly. I've never been one to complain about gas prices EVER.... but then again my daily is a Z28 and I always offer to drive, just because I like driving. I actually calculate my MPG every few fillups or when I change my driving habits, so its not like I'm stupid or don't notice, but

Its understandable though... everyone who is like 25+ always talks about how gasoline used to be less than a dollar and when it went to over $1/gal people started freaking out (this was like in 1999-2000). But I don't think its as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.... what I DO think is a big deal however is how the entire world is going to adapt from being reliant on mostly petrol, to using whatever form of alternative fuel there is...

I watched something on TV about how in 2012 or so the world economy could potentially collapse due to fuel shortages, and countries may be fighting for the last reserves of oil that the UAE holds, and the UAE using nuclear weapons to defend their oil.

The one thing I've always laughed at is how companies are moving to turbocharged 4-cylinders and 6-cylinders and using "improved fuel economy" as an excuse. Funny thing is they still require the use of premium fuel and use just as much gas as a V8 with similar power output does.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I watched something on TV about how in 2012 or so the world economy could potentially collapse due to fuel shortages, and countries may be fighting for the last reserves of oil that the UAE holds, and the UAE using nuclear weapons to defend their oil.
Fear mongering or fiction. There's a ridiculous amount of oil left on this planet. We haven't even come close to finding all of it and there's plenty still left un-tapped that we know of.

What lower gas prices? Start drilling.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Unfortuantly while it may not effect you, the conscious driver so directly - the price of gas will definitely change your life indirectly. Everything from the stock market to the price of a loaf of bread can (and is) changing because of gas prices.

But yea - I agree that the media is hyping it up too. Kinda like home prices. People think they can get deals when thats simply because they hear about it on the news when that may not be true for their market.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Dude.... it effects our economy significantly.

If for NO OTHER reason, that the increased price of food and everything else because shipping costs are rising. Can you imagine being a long-haul trucker, and filling up 200-gallons of Diesel at $4.75/gallon????

Do the math... For them a fill-up now costs upwards of $800-$1000, when it used to be half that.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a few weeks ago i was somewhere in the boonies in cali and it was $4.69 for regular
Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Though I walk to and from school a lot these days to save on gas, it's a fucking hassle for a college student to constrict his budget this tightly because of how much I have to spend on gas .. I spend more on gas than I ever do on groceries in a month. But it's not like I have a choice anyway, I pay up and shut up .. For gas prices to come down, it's easy to hope for something that won't happen.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mystikk
Though I walk to and from school a lot these days to save on gas, it's a fucking hassle for a college student to constrict his budget this tightly because of how much I have to spend on gas .. I spend more on gas than I ever do on groceries in a month. But it's not like I have a choice anyway, I pay up and shut up .. For gas prices to come down, it's easy to hope for something that won't happen.

I easily pay 2x as much for gas then I do for food.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Race Director

My TL is getting low for the first time since I have been back from school I am afraid to go fill it.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i must say that it's quite disconcerting to fill up my 4 banger for nearly $60 ... pigs have been flying for weeks now i guess
Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

15.16 gallons out of 17.2 gallons paid $4.089/gallon for a total $62.00 for premium at Circle K in Central California...

Time to let my 10 year old 5 cylinder TL rest after 255,000+ miles and get me some sort of civic or bike...
Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by godfather2
i must say that it's quite disconcerting to fill up my 4 banger for nearly $60 ... pigs have been flying for weeks now i guess
How close do you live to SC? I live really close to the boarder and I have been thinking that it might be wroth it to get some cheap SC gas.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Race Director

i'm thinking about starting to put 89 in the TSX.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mokos23
i'm thinking about starting to put 89 in the TSX.
Good idea, you can save, what, maybe $3-4 a week that way? If you drive a lot?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 PM
B A N N E D

I still only hit about $55 when I fill with 93 oct with about 1/10th left in the tank

Quick Reply: The Official Gas Price Discussion Thread