Observations: 3 weeks w/G35 after TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Observations: 3 weeks w/G35 after TL

Today marks 3 weeks that I traded my TL for a G35, and I thought I might share my experiences with those in the market as the G appears to be the TL's most direct competitor.

Overall, the G is sportier, edgier, more tossable, though less luxurious.

Plusses: RWD, 53/47 F/R weight distribution, auto headlights, tire pressure monitor, speed-sensitive audio volume, ingress/egress assist, larger fuel tank, more cubbies (non-nav), 4 auto up/down windows, seems to be screwed together better and has a more solid "feel"-doors close w/an authoritative "thunk", trunk lid does not make that tinny ring when closed, and is supported by complex-hinge, gas-strut opener.

Minuses: Non-telescope wheel, though gauges move w/wheel and distance (for me) seems OK, quality of audio system output, unlit steering-wheel, Homelink, & overhead switches, no mirror memory (minor), step-on parking brake (AT), open hood has prop-rod!!

Since the driving force behind my trade was to return to RWD and its attendent driving dynamics, I am happy with the end result. Personally, I am OK with giving up some of the TL's goodies (the blue gauges and lighting are the coolest, and I still love the styling, both in and out) for the performance car responses.

Hope at least some one finds this helpful. I've tried to be pragmatic and unemotional, and have prurposely avoided bashing/flaming/judging anyone or their automotive choices and beliefs.

Dave
Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
10th Gear

Did you look into the AWD version?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Instructor

I was seriously thinking about the G35 instead of the TL. My father owns a G35 and loves it. He also spent 2 grand on winter wheels and tires because he can't drive it in snow/bad weather.
Infiniti is asking to much money for the AWD and you loss all the great rear wheel performance.
That's how I ended up choosing the TL. Plus for the same price I was able to get the Nav.

Also I noticed in a G35 advertisment they re-designed the front end for '05
Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Though I am waiting for my 05 TL to arrive next week, I have owned a 03.5 G35 for 9 months. Dave I think you gave a good review of some of the differences between the two cars. You however left out a major difference and one of the reasons why I sold the G in the first place is the cheap looking interior. The interior of the G is not befitting of a $35,000 car with the use of low quality plastics and I never got used to the looks of the air vents-just cheap looking IMO.

True the G is more tossable but I never felt connected to the road despite the RWD and distribution of weight factor. The service I received at Infinity was first rate and I hope Acura can live up to those standards. In the end, different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by DavePA
Today marks 3 weeks that I traded my TL for a G35, and I thought I might share my experiences with those in the market as the G appears to be the TL's most direct competitor.

Plusses: RWD, 53/47 F/R weight distribution, auto headlights, tire pressure monitor, speed-sensitive audio volume, ingress/egress assist, larger fuel tank, more cubbies (non-nav), 4 auto up/down windows, seems to be screwed together better and has a more solid "feel"-doors close w/an authoritative "thunk", trunk lid does not make that tinny ring when closed, and is supported by complex-hinge, gas-strut opener.

Minuses: Non-telescope wheel, though gauges move w/wheel and distance (for me) seems OK, quality of audio system output, unlit steering-wheel, Homelink, & overhead switches, no mirror memory (minor), step-on parking brake (AT), open hood has prop-rod!!

Since the driving force behind my trade was to return to RWD and its attendent driving dynamics, I am happy with the end result. Personally, I am OK with giving up some of the TL's goodies (the blue gauges and lighting are the coolest, and I still love the styling, both in and out) for the performance car responses.

Hope at least some one finds this helpful. I've tried to be pragmatic and unemotional, and have prurposely avoided bashing/flaming/judging anyone or their automotive choices and beliefs.

Dave
Good review!

After only test driving both the G35X and TL back to back, I can attest to the G doors/trunk feeling a bit more solid than the TL. (But that's NOT to say that the TL isnt built solid.) If I had to choose a 5AT, it'd have to be the G35S/X; it has more cajones than the TL 5AT. (butt dyno)

BTW: I'm still trying to figure out why a $35g 04 Infiniti G35 has a prop rod but my $27g 02 Nissan Maxima has hood jacks.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Instructor

The G35's power seat buttons are like magnets for cups of coffee.
The birds eye view on the Nav. looks great the pop screen doesn't.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:05 AM
USC YQUE

Today marks 3 weeks that I traded my TL for a G35, and I thought I might share my experiences with those in the market as the G appears to be the TL's most direct competitor...

...Hope at least some one finds this helpful. I've tried to be pragmatic and unemotional, and have prurposely avoided bashing/flaming/judging anyone or their automotive choices and beliefs.

Dave
Very good write-up. I too, love the blue background lighting on the TL.

Happy motorin'!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by titansbaseball
Did you look into the AWD version?
Yes, but slower, longer braking distances and more expensive. Winter tires are sufficient for PA winters. I drove a BMW for 5 yrs. that way, and actually prefer RWD so equipped in snow/ice.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Instructor

The G35 doesn't have gas struts on the hood because the hood is made of aluminum. In addition during a collision the hood is designed to fold in half creating a barrier to prevent things from entering into the passenger compartment.

People always bitch about the g35"s interior saying it's cheap. I find that many of those same people have little expirience with the interior other than see it in pictures or taking a short 15 minute test drive. The materials used in the G35 are higher quality than those used in the TL. the only thing you can argue is the design which is subjective for most. one thing the G35 thankfully doesn't have is that thin aluminum trim that dents easily and burns the $hit out of your arm when you car has been sitting in the hot sun.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

Dave
The G35 comes with Homelink and overhead switches, so I am not sure why you mean ont hat.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by insmanblue
Though I am waiting for my 05 TL to arrive next week, I have owned a 03.5 G35 for 9 months. Dave I think you gave a good review of some of the differences between the two cars. You however left out a major difference and one of the reasons why I sold the G in the first place is the cheap looking interior. The interior of the G is not befitting of a $35,000 car with the use of low quality plastics and I never got used to the looks of the air vents-just cheap looking IMO.

True the G is more tossable but I never felt connected to the road despite the RWD and distribution of weight factor. The service I received at Infinity was first rate and I hope Acura can live up to those standards. In the end, different strokes for different folks.
Well he probably didn't mention it because the interior really isn't that CHEAP looking. It's built better with cheaper looking products.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by F23A4
Good review!

After only test driving both the G35X and TL back to back, I can attest to the G doors/trunk feeling a bit more solid than the TL. (But that's NOT to say that the TL isnt built solid.) If I had to choose a 5AT, it'd have to be the G35S/X; it has more cajones than the TL 5AT. (butt dyno)

BTW: I'm still trying to figure out why a $35g 04 Infiniti G35 has a prop rod but my $27g 02 Nissan Maxima has hood jacks.
The G35 has a prop rod because the hood is made out of Aluminum. I experimented on my car installing hood struts. They worked, except for the fact that the hood was flexing in the middle. I didn't like that, so they were removed.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Instructor

People always bitch about the g35"s interior saying it's cheap. I find that many of those same people have little expirience with the interior other than see it in pictures or taking a short 15 minute test drive. The materials used in the G35 are higher quality than those used in the TL. the only thing you can argue is the design which is subjective for most. one thing the G35 thankfully doesn't have is that thin aluminum trim that dents easily and burns the $hit out of your arm when you car has been sitting in the hot sun.[/QUOTE]

Even Infiniti has recognized their flaws in the interior design, they simplified it.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhunter9999
I was seriously thinking about the G35 instead of the TL. My father owns a G35 and loves it. He also spent 2 grand on winter wheels and tires because he can't drive it in snow/bad weather.
Infiniti is asking to much money for the AWD and you loss all the great rear wheel performance.
That's how I ended up choosing the TL. Plus for the same price I was able to get the Nav.

Also I noticed in a G35 advertisment they re-designed the front end for '05

I thought the G35X, AWD only kicks in when you need, I dont think its a full time AWD...
Old 10-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shodog
People always bitch about the g35"s interior saying it's cheap. I find that many of those same people have little expirience with the interior other than see it in pictures or taking a short 15 minute test drive. The materials used in the G35 are higher quality than those used in the TL.

I disagree. The whole gripe about interior materials is due to the abundance of hard plastic in the dash, console and doors. That's a Nissan touch, and the upscale brand simply shouldn't have it. Whatever those surfaces are made out of, it should be pliable, non-reflective, and with a texture somewhere between leather and rubber. Infiniti had a chance to do something about the G35 interior for '05, and they blew it.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Car and Drive, Motor Trend and AutoWeek all noted performance drops with the AWD. The performance drop was severe enough for them not to recommend it.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Car and Drive, Motor Trend and AutoWeek all noted performance drops with the AWD. The performance drop was severe enough for them not to recommend it.

The G35X that I test drove definitely wasnt as quick as my 02 Maxima. The sales guy swore that the X would totally outrun my Maxima; when I offered to place a wager on it, he declined.

Seriously though, the X is a bit sluggish and a def mid-15 second car.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

I drove a G35 rwd for a week and the interior was not close to the acura. INFINITY has alread anounced that the new 05 G has a redone nose and interior, much like they did with the Altima, they are bringing it up to spec.

Living in NE, I would take an AWD car over a front or rear if offered. I already miss my quatro A6 2.7T when trying taking off quick.

I would bet that the next siginficant change with the TL will be to get AWD as a 2006 option.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
The G35 comes with Homelink and overhead switches, so I am not sure why you mean ont hat.
Only that they are UNLIT. The TL's are lit and easy to find in the dark. One thing that initially put me off about the G35's interior was the plastic on the console that sparkled in direct sunlight. After I got my TL home - it did the same thing! I bought the G w/the Sport Suspension mainly for the suspension, but also because that very plastic is covered entirely w/titanium plastic trim.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Only that they are UNLIT. The TL's are lit and easy to find in the dark. One thing that initially put me off about the G35's interior was the plastic on the console that sparkled in direct sunlight. After I got my TL home - it did the same thing! I bought the G w/the Sport Suspension mainly for the suspension, but also because that very plastic is covered entirely w/titanium plastic trim.

This won't be popular but, I think both the TL and G35 camel interiors suffer from to many materials and colors. tan, black, wood, leather, titanium etc.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Racer

I own both a G35 coupe and a TL.

They both smiles on my face, but in different way.

When i go on a long trip, the TL's seating and navi is great, and the smoothness of the car is awesome. The suspension is a little too cushy for me. and the stomping of the gas doesnt bring a smile to my face like the G does. The TL torque steer does get annoying after a while as well. Its not bad, but its defintely there.

The G35 interior is not as nice as the TL, but the pure performance of this vehicle surpasses the TL. I've put both car side by side and ran them, and the G35 pulls on the TL everytime. Theres no comparing them.

All and all, both are great cars and ust depends on what yoru looking for.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Have a quote to support this? Just curious what exactly they said.

Scott
Old 10-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F23A4
Good review!

Its COJONES not CAJONES. DAMN IT! it would be nice if anglos could use foreign slang correctly! Cajones are boxes COJONES are testicles, balls or whatever you may want to name them.
BTW, numbers dont lie, acceleration times and slalom speeds in the TL and the G are essentially identical as you can gleam from most road tests. The G seems faster because it lacks refinement.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott GN231
Have a quote to support this? Just curious what exactly they said.

Scott

It's in the reviews. Check their websites and do a search.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Instructor

It's in the reviews. Check their websites and do a search.

From autoweek

On a regular, dry road course, lap-to-lap with competent pilots, the rear-drive G35 would have to be faster, given the weight difference, ride height and power available to the wheels. But the X model is just a little safer to play with...
Old 10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ClnOB
I thought the G35X, AWD only kicks in when you need, I dont think its a full time AWD...
You're correct, it's a Haldex-type system like on the Audi TT.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The G35 doesn't have gas struts on the hood because the hood is made of aluminum. In addition during a collision the hood is designed to fold in half creating a barrier to prevent things from entering into the passenger compartment.
no gas struts because the hood is aluminum? plenty of cars w/ aluminum hoods have gas struts. you are just pulling stuff out of...
and a barrier to prevent things from entering the passenger compartment? isn't that what the firewall is for?
People always bitch about the g35"s interior saying it's cheap. I find that many of those same people have little expirience with the interior other than see it in pictures or taking a short 15 minute test drive. The materials used in the G35 are higher quality than those used in the TL. the only thing you can argue is the design which is subjective for most. one thing the G35 thankfully doesn't have is that thin aluminum trim that dents easily and burns the $hit out of your arm when you car has been sitting in the hot sun.
you sound like a disgruntled g owner. if the g's interior materials are so great, why do so many people, tl owners or not , complain about it's poor quality? the g coupe is very nice to look at, but the interior is just a sore to most eyes.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
no gas struts because the hood is aluminum? plenty of cars w/ aluminum hoods have gas struts. you are just pulling stuff out of...
Really, which cars have aluminum hoods and gas struts?

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
and a barrier to prevent things from entering the passenger compartment? isn't that what the firewall is for?
Smart a$$ comments aside, the firewall protects the lower portion of the cabin but the folded hood protects you from stuff coming through the front window.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Sorry, but there's only one way to put it: the G35 interior is hideous. I like the overall lines of the car, but it's as if the interior designers decided to latch on to that awful "wedge" concept that permeates the entire Cadillac lineup. And the pop-up navigation screen?

To me, the TL interior is one of the finest designs I have ever seen. And no, I'm not talking about material quality, but overall ergonomic design. If the G35 interior weren't so hideous, I really would have considered the car as a worthy alternative. But when you put the two interiors head-to-head, there is really no comparison:

Old 10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Huh? many cars with hood struts have aluminum hoods - and a strut should have nothing to do with crash worthiness- the TL does fine in that regard. My bro's E55 AMG cost over $80, and has an aluminum hood and prop struts - i say give the TL its prop(ers), and not be an apologist for Nissan cheaping out.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:23 PM
10th Gear

G35 or TL

Dave
I previously owned a I30. It was a very well built auto with good dynamics and build. I was totally satisfied with Infiniti and was looking to stay in one. So I thoroughly drove the G35. I thought it was an excellent auto, and drove somewhat nicer than the TL. BUT! the interior was the main reason for going with the TL. Orange gauges, Plastic everywhere and 35K pricetag. This vehicle was built poorer than my 26K I30. I love the TL!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by dwcolt
Sorry, but there's only one way to put it: the G35 interior is hideous.
To me, the TL interior is one of the finest designs I have ever seen. And no, I'm not talking about material quality, but overall ergonomic design. If the G35 interior weren't so hideous, I really would have considered the car as a worthy alternative. But when you put the two interiors head-to-head, there is really no comparison:

totally
The cheap looking interior is one of the main reasons why I passed up purchasing a G.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Racer

The G35 might seem cheaper because it doesn't have struts, but I was happy when I found that my G Coupe had a prop rod. I've had two other cars in the past that the struts started to give way after about 5 years. This prop rod will last me a long time As for the interior, I've gotten used to it. It's not all that bad, but I definitely like the 3rd gen. TL interior. I also liked my old TLS interior. Actually, I miss the whole car
Old 10-13-2004, 01:51 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by da_illist_onE
totally
The cheap looking interior is one of the main reasons why I passed up purchasing a G.

For me I can't stand the interior of the G35 with the old looking orange gauges. It reminds me of the early 80's toyota's or nissans. I thought about the G35 and test drove it but the TL is so much more confortable and roomier than the G. After looking at the dash board I was really turned off and especially that funny looking clock in the middle. Power wise is not much different but when it comes down to interior/exterior looks/and engine TL beats out the G35!!! Not saying this b/c I own a TL but that is my conclusion in why I picked a TL over G35!!!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Being that I've never liked the exterior of the G's, I've never been in one so that was the first time I saw the dash. Eeek..I agree.. fugly, but alas that's just IMHO. And the pop-up navi is pretty cheezy.

One thing I have always been fonda honda for is symmetry in their dashes. all buttons and knobs have a mirrored partner, and that looks sharp to me, i'm a visually oriented brain person. Even in the clusters, many have perfect mirrors, like the TSX did. To me that creates harmony and is easy on the eyes. The G definately doesn't have that in the dash.

If it weren't for the front end of the G sedan, I might have liked it cuz I like the tails, but I don't like the headlights on them, and I don't like the tails of the coupe (I hate round flowery tail light patterns like the G-coupe, and unfortunately the new RL, the Pilot)

To each his own, that's why there are multiple manufacturers, to suit multiple people.

P.S... what is the little compartment/handle looking thingy to the right of the G's dash under the glovebox ??
Old 10-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you forgot the look factor....the G35 sedan is freaking ugly, the coupe is sweet.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:32 AM
Old timer

Dave
I'd say you hit on most of the differences.

My comparison of the G35 Coupe to the CL TypeS would be similar, with other differences being:

+Remote windows down
+Heated side mirrors
+5AT shifts solid and quickly especially in sportshift mode, has control of 1st gear, much more performance-oriented than the Acura sportshift. If I hadn't needed a daily driver, the 6MT is also a pretty solid trans.
+Fold-down rear seats
+'04.5's nicer shiftknob (carried over to the '05 but they add a boot and less appealing base design)

-No driver's seat memory
-Shallow center console storage (probably due to RWD)
-Foot parking brake (I gotta mention that again - I almost didn't buy it because of that. I like having a real e-brake even if I don't have the 6MT.)

Btw, the hood prop rod is fine with me since the hood is rather lightweight aluminum, and we get pistons for the trunk.

Btw, I always thought the Gs were kinda ugly, inside and out. I'm not sure why, but once I test drove one, it suddenly was the right car and nothing else came close to replace the CL-S. It's like a CL-S with 10% more in every area - looks, performance, features, warranty, audio, seat design, service/dealer experience, price , etc, except perhaps the interior design, but even that has grown quite a bit on me.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Its COJONES not CAJONES. DAMN IT! it would be nice if anglos could use foreign slang correctly! Cajones are boxes COJONES are testicles, balls or whatever you may want to name them.
BTW, numbers dont lie, acceleration times and slalom speeds in the TL and the G are essentially identical as you can gleam from most road tests. The G seems faster because it lacks refinement.
On a similar note that should be VTEC , not VTECH

But I didnt have a chance to set up slalom cones for my test drive. And going by your last statement, I guess a Chevy Cavalier must feel like a rocket sled then.

Bottomline, those tests show 'green' G35s. Once broken in, the VQ35DE steps it up a notch.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Great review, still think you ask 5 people you get 5 different responses.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwcolt

The only problem I have with the G's dash layout is that titanium finish. My first mod would be carbon fiber dash overlay, although a bit nowadays. That said, it's still a good (if not edgy) layout and doesnt seem to hurting sales too much. And though not pictured, the popup Navi is a great touch.

The TL has more of a traditional conservative dash layout. It doesnt offend but doesnt WOW neither. In other words, it's a safe layout and looks very similar to its pygmy incarnation the TSX .

That said, neither the G nor the TL even come near the ES as far as ergonomics, IMHO:
Now, if it just had some real power and didnt have that jelly bean look to it....

Peace.

Quick Reply: Observations: 3 weeks w/G35 after TL