AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   No fog lights on Acuras? (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/no-fog-lights-acuras-942005/)

cabanalane 02-15-2016 11:29 AM

No fog lights on Acuras?

I've noticed that on many Acura models, fog lights don't seem to come with the car anymore.

This is especially on models with the LED headlights.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...rn-closeup.jpg

I can see why fog lights are not standard on the base model like the Accord LX. You have to step up to the EX model. But we are talking about a luxury brand here, and cars costing $40,000.

Do you owners feel that the LED headlights is bright enough that one does not need fog lights?

thoiboi 02-15-2016 11:34 AM

What's the reasoning for fog lights 'standard' on all cars? I never saw fog lights as a key differentiator to what a luxury car is.

musty hustla 02-15-2016 11:36 AM

Good question. It bothers me too. Back in the day all Acuras were fully loaded and the only option was navigation.

cabanalane 02-15-2016 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15680431)
What's the reasoning for fog lights 'standard' on all cars? I never saw fog lights as a key differentiator to what a luxury car is.

Because owners are paying a lot of money, so it should be standard.

Outside of that, I think it finishes the look for the car.

juniorbean 02-15-2016 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by cabanalane (Post 15680454)

I don't get it. How does paying a lot of money mean they should include fog lights?

I would think that with the development and inclusion of LEDs, fog lights are no longer necessary like they used to be. So yes, people may be paying a lot of money, but they're getting LED headlights which do the job of headlights and fogs. They are an accessory at this point...

crazyasiantl 02-15-2016 12:04 PM

My aunts A7 Prestige has LED low beams and no fog lights. They are not needed anymore. They are an option, but not a "must have."

TacoBello 02-15-2016 12:07 PM

The 04-06 TL in Canada never had fog lights :dunno:

And if you want them, you can ask Acura to do one of two things:

1. Raise the overall price of the car (and no, it likely won't just be $200)

2. Cut some other feature out of the car and add the fogs.

I'm pretty sure car companies do a bit of a balancing act when it comes to features and overall price. Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too!

thoiboi 02-15-2016 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl (Post 15680471)
My aunts A7 Prestige has LED low beams and no fog lights. They are not needed anymore. They are an option, but not a "must have."

but she paid a lot of money for it (significantly more than a lowly TLX :rofl:)... thus it should be standard :O :smirk:

:precious:

TacoBello 02-15-2016 12:10 PM

I'm guessing it's similar down south, but here, driving in town with fog lights on is actually illegal. Yup. Not supposed to be used in the city. Even if there is fog.

Personally, I like fog lights too, but they're more just an esthetic thing than anything else. I can't really think of a time where I really needed them. They're useless on the highway too, because of how low they are aimed.

RPhilMan1 02-15-2016 12:17 PM

The only reason why fog lights were deemed luxurious was because the lower trims had an empty plastic bezel around the area where the fog lights would go - thus making it less attractive and not as luxurious.

Now with the headlight technology, they are not really needed.

I know some people like driving around with their headlights and fog lights on at night. But I literally only use my fog lights when it's actually foggy out. Go figure?

SamDoe1 02-15-2016 02:00 PM

ITT we finally learn why Acura is not a luxury brand anymore.

honda_nut 02-15-2016 03:51 PM

Dude, have you ever seen a BMW? Leather isn't standard on most of their cars unless you step up to a 6 or 7 series. A base model 3 series doesn't have HIDs, leather, power seats, sunroof, backup camera, etc., yet you still pay a "lot of money." Luxury does not mean standard features.

Curious3GTL 02-15-2016 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by honda_nut (Post 15680687)
Dude, have you ever seen a BMW? Leather isn't standard on most of their cars unless you step up to a 6 or 7 series. A base model 3 series doesn't have HIDs, leather, power seats, sunroof, backup camera, etc., yet you still pay a "lot of money." Luxury does not mean standard features.

Get an M sport and they remove the fog lights, same with the IS F sport.

Headlight technology has just gotten really good. :shrug:

Rae Rad 02-15-2016 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 15680480)
I'm guessing it's similar down south, but here, driving in town with fog lights on is actually illegal. Yup. Not supposed to be used in the city. Even if there is fog.

Personally, I like fog lights too, but they're more just an esthetic thing than anything else. I can't really think of a time where I really needed them. They're useless on the highway too, because of how low they are aimed.

Interesting to hear fog lights are illegal in the city. I wonder why? NYC is notorious for pot holes, visiting there may be the only time i use my fogs. Being that they're aimed low helps view street imperfections , And even then they still make very little of a difference. Fogs nowadays is just an accessory to beautify your vehicle

usdmJON 02-15-2016 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by cabanalane (Post 15680425)
I've noticed that on many Acura models, fog lights don't seem to come with the car anymore.

This is especially on models with the LED headlights.

WTF?! Seriously what the actual fuck are you on?

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/kbrau...nt-Driving.jpg

ILX has fogs

http://sportscarillustrated.com/img/.../P/15_1553.jpg

TLX has fogs

http://lln.mnmcdn.com/photos/content...x-prev_653.jpg

RDX has fogs

http://acuraconnected.com/wp-content...3_11_26_09.jpg

MDX has fogs

Literally the ONLY Acura to not have fog lights is the current NSX and they all have the same LED headlights you mentioned.

:whyme: I'm just going to pretend you never posted this fail thread.

Rae Rad 02-15-2016 11:54 PM

I believe he was stating that fogs are not standard on base trims

AZuser 02-16-2016 12:11 AM

I can see why fog lights are not standard on the base model like the Accord LX. You have to step up to the EX model. But we are talking about a luxury brand here, and cars costing $40,000.

Luxury brand. :rofl: That's a good one.

usdmJON 02-16-2016 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rae Rad (Post 15680956)
I believe he was stating that fogs are not standard on base trims

Well i mean he said 40g cars. Im sure all the 40g acuras have fogs.

As well it would be dumb to complain that not all of them have fogs. Some people simply dont need or want them.

How i saw it was OP was upset acuras dont have fogs anymore but they do you just have to not buy the cheap base trims.

cabanalane 02-16-2016 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 15680977)
Well i mean he said 40g cars. Im sure all the 40g acuras have fogs.

2016 Acura RDX Tech Pkg - Stock#A1603490 | Chapman Acura Tucson

Nope. Got to spend a bit more.

Some of you guys get my point. It's not about if you want them or not. Or find them useful.

It's that fog lights are not "standard" on Acuras anymore vs. 10, 20, or even 30 years ago.

And my reference to LED headlights, I was wondering if perhaps the better performance of the LED headlights was the reason why Acura does not include them. Or is it a cost cutting move? That plastic bezel just looks unfinished without the fog lights.

thoiboi 02-16-2016 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cabanalane (Post 15681224)

Some of you guys get my point. It's not about if you want them or not. Or find them useful.

WTF? Do you not understand basic economics? Supply vs. Demand? If no one wants them or finds them useful why would Acura continue to put them on their cars..?:screwy:

It's that fog lights are not "standard" on Acuras anymore vs. 10, 20, or even 30 years ago.

:rona:

you come off as just a guy that wants to rant for the sake of ranting..

Seatbelts used to be on automatic retractors... now we have to buckle them ourselves?!?! Bring back automatic seatbelts
:rant:

HondaGuy347 02-16-2016 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by cabanalane (Post 15680454)

I don't think fogs are necessary with HID or LED lights, but I will say the pre-facelift 2G RDX with the black round cutouts for fogs and no fogs on the non-tech pack was absurdly cheap looking.

https://pictures.dealer.com/d/dchacu...b71e51313x.jpg

honda_nut 02-16-2016 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347 (Post 15681445)
I don't think fogs are necessary with HID or LED lights, but I will say the pre-facelift 2G RDX with the black round cutouts for fogs and no fogs on the non-tech pack was absurdly cheap looking.

https://pictures.dealer.com/d/dchacu...b71e51313x.jpg

I agree, if you are not going to include a feature, then don't put in a cheap plastic piece reminding me every time that I cheaped out. That reminds me of a base model Chevy Malibu or something.

thoiboi 02-16-2016 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by honda_nut (Post 15681453)
I agree, if you are not going to include a feature, then don't put in a cheap plastic piece reminding me every time that I cheaped out. That reminds me of a base model Chevy Malibu or something.

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347 (Post 15681445)

ORRR Maybe they did that on purpose so as to sell more fog lights :ponder: :genius:

AZuser 02-16-2016 07:32 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about. Fog lights were not standard 10, 20, or even 30 years ago....

10+ years ago: 2003-2005 Acura TSX

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d93d376245.jpg

20 years ago: 1996 Acura RL

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ea3c13dc50.jpg

28 years ago: 1998 Acura Legend coupe

standard without fogs

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...35d383de77.jpg

with optional fogs

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...5e48e845b3.jpg

WheelMcCoy 02-16-2016 08:18 PM

Do you owners feel that the LED headlights is bright enough that one does not need fog lights?

For fog lights to be effective, they need to be mounted low. At headlight level, there would be too much reflection in a fog, much the way high beams would be reflected back in a snow storm. Closer to the ground, they illuminate beneath the fog, a short distance in front and to the sides of the road. Naturally, one should be driving slowly through a fog. More importantly, when it comes to oncoming traffic, fog lights help you be seen by others.

As for what fog lights mean to luxury brands, it's hard to say. I think they complete the look. Skimping on them feels like skimping on a split rear folding seat. Or not having visible exhaust pipes (hybrids and electrics being the exception). Or having a single tone horn.

Fortunately, I think all Acuras have a high and low note horn.

00TL-P3.2 02-17-2016 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AZuser (Post 15681700)
You have no idea what you're talking about. Fog lights were not standard 10, 20, or even 30 years ago....

10+ years ago: 2003-2005 Acura TSX
20 years ago: 1996 Acura RL
28 years ago: 1998 Acura Legend coupe
standard without fogs

Also, the 99-01 TL = no fogs.
The early 3G TLs had the fogs integrated into the headlight IIRC.

thoiboi 02-17-2016 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 15681973)
Also, the 99-01 TL = no fogs.
The early 3G TLs had the fogs integrated into the headlight IIRC.

:nod:

04-06 "fog lights" were in the center of headlight.

07-08 had lower fog lights. the center of the headlights were re-purposed for DRL's.

fsttyms1 02-18-2016 01:35 PM

My microwave didnt come with popcorn. I should be disapointed but im not.

thoiboi 02-18-2016 01:57 PM

30-50 years ago all homes came with free lead...
Now home prices have increased yet no lead....

WTF?!?!?!:rant:

TacoBello 02-18-2016 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15681978)
:nod:

04-06 "fog lights" were in the center of headlight.

07-08 had lower fog lights. the center of the headlights were re-purposed for DRL's.

Not in canaduh. the early 3Gs had DRLs in place of where the American 3Gs had fogs :2cents:

TacoBello 02-18-2016 02:15 PM

And yes, Thoiboi is right. Fogs were NEVER standard fair on any Acura. Well.. save for the odd exception. If anything, they were generally offered as an option.

brian6speed 02-18-2016 02:21 PM

Real cars use that area for Brake ducts, not silly fog lights.

My 03 CL has no foglights, yet standard headlights illuminate road better than my ST3 Focus ST which has upgraded headlights with LandRover led fogs.

1killercls 02-18-2016 02:35 PM

I cant see a fucking thing.

juniorbean 02-18-2016 03:05 PM

For the record, my 02 TL-S had fogs standard. I even upgraded them bulbs to match the HIDs. Booyah!

thoiboi 02-18-2016 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by brian6speed

I thought you were going to say intake :O

TacoBello 02-19-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by brian6speed (Post 15683435)

My 03 CL has no foglights, yet standard headlights illuminate road better than my ST3 Focus ST which has upgraded headlights with LandRover led fogs.

Yes, because everyone needs to race to the next set of lights, for their daily driven vehicle :rolleyes:

And if your FoST is that big of a piece of junk, why dont you sell it and move on?

1killercls 02-19-2016 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15683494)
I thought you were going to say intake :O

My intercoolers are in that area on my Audi..I still have fucking fog lights.:butthead:

honda_nut 02-19-2016 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 15683979)
Yes, because everyone needs to race to the next set of lights, for their daily driven vehicle :rolleyes:

And if your FoST is that big of a piece of junk, why dont you sell it and move on?

Because his fwd CL is a super high performance race car and he can't drive it everyday duh.

1StGenCL 02-21-2016 04:30 PM

Fog lights are useless

Rocket_man 02-21-2016 07:31 PM

Foglights are worse than useless. In 36 years of driving I can't ever remember a time I actually needed them. Yet just about every local around here who has fog lights on their car has them on anytime their lights are on. Worse yet there are those that want the brightest and bluest fog lights and headlights they can find. Unlike head lights, fog lights are aimed pretty parallel to the road so for on-coming drivers (when there is no fog) just get fog lights right in their eyes. So for me I'm glad fog lights aren't standard on cars. When I see someone with fogs coming at me, I flash my brights at them. Maybe they will figure it out someday.