Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
NJ sues Nissan over stolen headlights

Could Honda (Acura) be next?:

NJ sues Nissan over stolen headlights
By WAYNE PARRY
Associated Press Writer

March 8, 2004, 12:29 PM EST

NEWARK, N.J. -- New Jersey authorities sued Nissan North America Inc. on Monday, alleging the automaker failed to warn customers that the super-bright headlights on its Maximas were hot targets for thieves.

The suit, filed in Superior Court in Somerset County, also alleges Nissan profited by having customers purchase anti-theft kits that should have been provided for free. The company's dealerships also profited by performing repair work on cars victimized by thieves, state Attorney General Peter Harvey said.

"We allege the company sold cars with these fancy lights, but kept consumers in the dark about how attractive the headlamps were to thieves," said Reni Erdos, director of the state Division of Consumer Affairs, which filed the suit. "Nissan's actions, or lack thereof, rendered consumers vulnerable to the criminals who targeted their vehicles."

Authorities surveyed police departments in 19 New Jersey municipalities over the past two years and documented 756 thefts or attempted thefts of the moon-blue lights from 2002 or 2003 Maximas. Newark led the state with 277, followed by Bloomfield with 135, Jersey City with 108 and Hillside and Butler with 50 each.

"Nissan knew since at least September 2002 that thieves ere targeting the xenon headlamps in Maximas," Harvey said. "However, it wasn't until more than a year later that Nissan finally began notifying 2002 and 2003 Maxima owners of the risk of theft and the availability of anti-theft devices.

"Meanwhile, numerous victims were hit with huge repair bills. We're seeking restitution for those consumers."

The lights cost about $1,800 to replace _ not counting repair costs for other damage done by thieves, which can bring the total to $4,000 or more.

In a statement, Nissan said it does more than any other manufacturer to help reduce xenon headlight theft, which also plagues other vehicle makes and models.

"While nothing can completely eliminate the thefts of parts from vehicles, we believe the proactive steps taken by Nissan will help deter criminals from stealing headlights from our customers' Maximas," the company's statement read.

Nissan said it began an anti-theft initiative last fall, sending letters to consumers informing them they can bring their Maximas to a dealer where a bracket would be installed, free of charge, to make the headlights more difficult to steal.

But the lawsuit alleges that on Sept. 26, 2002, the company issued a bulletin to its service technicians stating that a replacement connector kit was available for the headlights damaged by theft.

Two months later, the complaint alleges, Nissan sent out another bulletin to service reps informing them that a $175 theft deterrent kit was available "if a customer requests" and "for customer pay only."

It was not until November 2003 that Nissan sent letters to consumers offering "securing devices" for the lights. But Harvey said these kits were different from the anti-theft kit.

"The customer would only have found out about the anti-theft kit if he had asked about it, which obviously he couldn't have," Harvey said.

Nissan spokesman John Schilling said he could not comment beyond the prepared statement, which did not address allegations that the company knew about problems with the lights being stolen long before it warned customers and that the free securing kit it offered provided less protection than the anti-theft kit customers had to purchase.

The lawsuit does not name other automakers whose lights are also frequently stolen by thieves, including Acura.

Sandra Feeley of Morris Township witnessed the theft of headlights from her Maxima on a Manhattan street corner last May.

Feeley, who spoke at Monday's news conference, took the vehicle to a dealership to have the lights replaced and $4,000 worth of damage repaired.

"Everyone there said, `Oh, this is an issue here," she said. "I was like, `Why wasn't I told about this?"'

She said she would not have bought a Nissan Maxima had she known its headlights were so popular with thieves.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press | Article licensing and reprint options
Old 03-08-2004, 03:31 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
yea, that's gonna hold up
Old 03-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not gonna work....
Old 03-08-2004, 03:39 PM
A senior member

It's a shame that quite often it requires lawsuits for the company to pay attention to the consumers' welfare. You know, this is the area that consumer advocate, Ralph Nader, should pay attention to rather than try to run for the president for which he knows nothing about.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:40 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Porsche will probably be next, the 996 headlights can be popped out w/ just a flat head screwdriver
Old 03-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
I don't think you will see many Porsche's in Newark NJ.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BS!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
I don't think you will see many Porsche's in Newark NJ.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
too many fucking lawyers in this world.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
my friend works at the outback...they said a customer went outside to find his maxima with no lights...right in the parking lot!

must be easy to steal
Old 03-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

NJ blaming Nissan for THEIR crime problems.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:15 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by Slooo97CL
my friend works at the outback...they said a customer went outside to find his maxima with no lights...right in the parking lot!

must be easy to steal
some guy on this porsche board i'm on said he was gone literally 10 minutes and his got stolen somewhere
Old 03-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
dumb fucks... "I WOULDNT BUY A MAXIMA BECAUSE MY HEADLIGHTS ARE SO POPULAR AND FANCY".. she should have said "I should not have married my husband because the diamond ring he gave me was too big..."
Old 03-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Banned

Im sorry but NJ will win this case...remember statistics dont lie...remember our tranny problem. If Nissan knowing of this problem of headlight theft problem then something should of been done about it...it can be as simple as putting a sign up in the dealership. You gotta remember its all about transferring blame from NJ police dept. to Nissan dealer.

What is Jersey pissed about how about filling out 10 reports a day possibly more on headlight theft. Highest Insurance rate evar because of acts like these...and also this is the state of NJ against Nissan.

Nissan has a great case as long as they can prove that headlight theft is not common in other parts of the USA. Im certain that headlights are being stolen off the new Maxima no matter what state your in NY,NJ, Cali, Florida ???
Old 03-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
next they'll be suing thong bikini manufacturers that there's no warning tag that says wearing them can get a woman raped in NJ.

nevermind going after the rapists and car thieves, lets just blame someone else and put warnings and padlocks on everything.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Banned

If I represented Nissan

first deny that they knew anything about it

second say that now that they were made aware of the problem a sign will be posted in the dealer and also mentioned to the customer of the headlight theft problem

by doing that they swept it under the rug and look like nice guys...that simple
Old 03-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
now u guys see why NJ is referred as "east coast biggest wasteland" or the "landfilled Ny"

(no offense 2 people living in NJ)

but the bureaucracy there is appaling....anyways we'll see what happens....it just looks like nj cops are tired of filing stolen headlight reports (i.e. tired of doing their jobs )
Old 03-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by unsure
now u guys see why NJ is referred as "east coast biggest wasteland" or the "landfilled Ny"

(no offense 2 people living in NJ), but the bureaucracy there is appaling....anyways we'll see what happens....it just looks like nj cops are tired of filing stolen headlight reports (i.e. tired of doing their jobs )
you mean "the armpit of america"

:nj:
Old 03-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

btw, why is NJ police so lazy 2 setup survelliance in the area's hotspots? i.e. salvage yards, body shops, etc...i'm sure if they made a huge bust we'd hear abt it 2 no end, instead it looks like they are taking the easy way out

btw, if Nj does win this case, it'll set a precedence and states and maybe even countries all over the world can sue over this and other types of ish(including other manufactureres)
Old 03-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Drifting

btw, why is NJ police so lazy 2 setup survelliance in the area's hotspots? i.e. salvage yards, body shops, etc...i'm sure if they made a huge bust we'd hear abt it 2 no end, instead it looks like they are taking the easy way out
that just cost more money. Maxima's are all over the place, not just in one desired area where they can be watched. Plus criminals arent idiots, and most likely are professionals at what they do, making it more difficult to catch them.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Banned

remember all NJ needs is a couple of Nissan customers that had their headlight stolen more than once or more than twice....or how about 8 outta 10 cars with stolen headlights are Nissan...or headlight theft on Nissans has increased 500% or whatever it is....remember statistics dont lie and they hold up in court so Ill be surprised Nissan getting out of this unscathed
Old 03-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

that just cost more money. Maxima's are all over the place, not just in one desired area where they can be watched. Plus criminals arent idiots, and most likely are professionals at what they do, making it more difficult to catch them.
tru

but bro, there are 2 many of these occuring 4 the police 2 not have any leads or stop the biggest rings...come on now, not all criminals are intelligent i.e. mikey
Old 03-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Drifting

tru

but bro, there are 2 many of these occuring 4 the police 2 not have any leads or stop the biggest rings...come on now, not all criminals are intelligent i.e. mikey
no doubt, its one ring of criminals most likely snatchin up all these hids..i guess its nissan's fault for making them easy to steal, and the cops fault for not catching them...
Old 03-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now I have to search ebay for some maxima headlights. glad I didn't but that car... must suck going out after dinner and finding you can't drive home because you have no headlights.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

no doubt, its one ring of criminals most likely snatchin up all these hids..i guess its nissan's fault for making them easy to steal, and the cops fault for not catching them...

i agree w/u that nissan is responsible 2 an extent, but NJ should harbor some of the responsibility themselves...oh well
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It is nissan's problem though. Because of them NJ's insurance keeps rising. IF this problem wasn't so huge, it would put 3 million dollars back in the pockets of insurance companies. Even though it's not a lot, we need all the breaks we can get out here in Jersey.

Also, about stealing them, it's not big rings. Any idiot with a crowbar can go out and pop them out of the car in like a minute. So all the small time crooks come out and think they'll make themselves a few extra bucks.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Instructor

this is retarded

this is like someone trying to sue honda because so many of their cars are getting stolen.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to Jersey
Old 03-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A good idea in theory but they're kinda late to be getting the ball rolling now. This has been going on for years in NJ.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:31 PM

A case of the car maker being too damn cheap. They know of problems before a car is sold. They know when they cheapened out on designs.

If Nissan KNEW of the problem, that is the issue. If thieves just figured it out and Nissan found out later, they are not at fault.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:42 PM
teh Senior Instigator

even if they did know it could be a problem, they aren't liable IMO. It's not like we are talking bodily injury here.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by frank828
this is retarded

this is like someone trying to sue honda because so many of their cars are getting stolen.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:16 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

i'm siding with NJ on this one.

They knew about it since they started putting HIDs in the maxima. (years ago)

Every nissan car with HIDs should have been outfitted with the anti-theft kit from the factory. or at the very minimum a peice of metal to make the friggin headlights real hard to get.

If nissan had told customers upfront about the problem they wouldn't be getting sued.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nissan should be sued for the mere fact that they aren't giving the deterrent kits for free. They are making a fortune off their headlights being ripped off. It reminds me of the fact that my CLS doesn't come with a shock sensor. So a thief can bust my window out and rummage around and steal my airbags and take a crap in my back seat. There needs to be a deterrant.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Race Director

I'm going to agree with the state of New Jersey.

But I still think the law is irresponsible there and might be shifting the blame.

But if I were on the jury, I might see the auto manufacturer as partially responsible for this. After taking a look at the $$$$, I could see where their damages might amount to some pretty serious money.

You gotta look at this from a legal perspective, the American justice system, not from a moral or ethical who is right who is wrong point of view.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Instructor

In Nissan's defense, they have created a TSB which allows an owner to bring their car(s) in to have an HID theft deterant kit installed. Luckily, here in Ohio, we aren't seeing too much of a problem with this. But it does make you a bit concerned if you travel to some locations that are having this issue.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:21 AM
AWD Torque Monster

i remember seeing newpapers filled with acuras missing headlamps a year ago. now its nissans turn. people need to realize what they are buying and stop playing innocent victim. if you buy something and know nothing about its features and its technology then your an idiot. doesnt mean ppl deserve for this to happen, but they shouldn't be surprised. this reminds me of "premium" wheel theft back in the day when hubcaps were the norm.

nissan xenon systems aren't that great to begin with. theives need to be focusing on bmw and audi. on ebay d2r systems are hard to unload. if i was a theif i wouldn't even bother with nissan cars. its about time acura started using xenon projectors and led tails. led tail retros are growing i wouldn't be surprised if the next wave of news stories has cars with all 4 lamps stolen. just wait for aftermarket companies to get led civic tails popular.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by VXCL

nissan xenon systems aren't that great to begin with. theives need to be focusing on bmw and audi. on ebay d2r systems are hard to unload. if i was a theif i wouldn't even bother with nissan cars. its about time acura started using xenon projectors and led tails. led tail retros are growing i wouldn't be surprised if the next wave of news stories has cars with all 4 lamps stolen. just wait for aftermarket companies to get led civic tails popular.
dude your missing the bigger picture here its not that they are great headlights...who cares if they light up pink...for the thief it how liquid the parts are

imagine if you had a garage full of mint stolen headlights, the new maxima wheels 18" with tires those go like water....if you play your cards right there is an earning potential of $5k a week possibly more if you have steady customers like body shops...

If you steal Audi or Porsche or Benz..your limited to a particular customer making those parts less liquid .
Old 03-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
IMO, Nissan was well intentioned when adding the HID headlamp feature (on top of the VQ35DE and Navi option) on an otherwise unchanged 2000 Maxima.

It's a pity they couldnt have the foresight to know whether or not their HIDs could easily be snatched from Maximas. However, I dont see Toyota being sued when, their 88-91 Camrys have been the hottest auto theft target in NJ since 1988.

As much as I may want to benefit from this lawsuit (NJ 2002 Maxima owner here), I moreso dont want to open up yet another Pandora's Box of frivelous litigation. NJ has enough BS problems as it is. $.02

Sidenote: I kind of recall headlight theft being an issue on 1987-1993 Ford Mustangs in the past.

Peace.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:01 AM
AWD Torque Monster

what im sayin is that its hard to get $200 for a set of nissan ballasts and dr2 bulbs. when u can easily sell d2r xenon projedtors, bulbs, and ballasts for $300. the real $$ is in cars that have xenon as an option. if you can get a complete undamaged xenon headlamp you could get $500+ for the pair, but most of them destroy both the car and the headlamp. the other main prob is the morons who buy the stolen parts will prob not even be able to use the them becuase the amount of modification need to get them to focus in say a 9006 housing. i just don't understand how they unload the parts so fast unless its like $100 a pair. at that price i'd say screw it and go back to stealing rims. 3-4 years ago xenon stuff was worth alot on the street $800 easy, but not now. parts are readily avail on the internet for cheap from legitamet places. now that they aired that story i bet theft increases for a while while others hop on the bad wagon then it will prob die down becuase the demand for these parts will become limited. i say this because these are not parts that just plug in an work correctly like radios.

idk we'll see. all i know is xenon systems in cars need to stay out of the spotlight. i would hate for the us to outlaw them. they work so damn good and dont blind people if aimed correctly. it's nice to be able to see in the rain at night.

Quick Reply: NJ sues Nissan over stolen headlights