Nissan not honoring recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Nissan not honoring recall

My mother is the owner of a 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL. She purchased the car brand new. Last week it started to experience a rough idle and loss of power. She got a CEL for a cylinder 1 misfire. I did some research and found a recall for the power valves in the 2.5 motor. Apparently the screws that hold them come loose and get into the cylinder which will cause a misfire. Her car is within the vin range on the recall. I called the dealer and they told her that there is no open recalls for her car and that they have no history of that recall being done.

I then called Nissans recall line and spoke to a rep. She also showed no open recalls, so I gave her the recall ID. She was surprised to see that her car was within the VIN range and that it was now showing up. She forwarded our claim to a manager, who called us back the next day. She told us to take out car to a dealer for diagnosis and then to call her back. We took it to the dealer and waited for them to call back. When they did, they told us that we are not covered because of the area we are in and that we will have to pay for a diagnosis. BS, it doesn't say anywhere on the recall that you have to be in a region.

I am upset that I was told by Nissan corp to drive the car to a dealer just to be told they wont cover it when they already had all my info.

Here is a link to the recall with the exact symptoms I am having:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...NTB05-058b.pdf
Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it isn't a recall actually. It is what's loosely known as a technical service bulletin, or in Nissan-speak a "Service Campaign Bulletin". Recalls are more serious and reserved for items that affect the potential safety of the car and its occupants.

Nevertheless, I have no idea why the dealer would refuse the inspection due to the "the area you are in", that doesn't make any sense.

This just doesn't add up. Call that dealer's service manager and have him explain exactly why they won't do the inspection for free.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Well, it isn't a recall actually. It is what's loosely known as a technical service bulletin, or in Nissan-speak a "Service Campaign Bulletin". Recalls are more serious and reserved for items that affect the potential safety of the car and its occupants.

Nevertheless, I have no idea why the dealer would refuse the inspection due to the "the area you are in", that doesn't make any sense.

This just doesn't add up. Call that dealer's service manager and have him explain exactly why they won't do the inspection for free.
The service manager is the person I talked to. He told me it only effects cars in certain regions, which it does not state on the bulletin. I am waiting to hear back from Nissan Corp again.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
^what he said, or try another dealer, there are a bunch down there.

i don't understand the reasoning of cars in certain states???? dopes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
i don't understand the reasoning of cars in certain states???? dopes
Maybe if the affected cars have PZEV emissions or something, meaning the affected part(s) are different from non-PZEV vehicles.

Regardless, any Nissan dealer should handle it.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Maybe if the affected cars have PZEV emissions or something, meaning the affected part(s) are different from non-PZEV vehicles.

Regardless, any Nissan dealer should handle it.
They left a message, the dealer wants us to pay for a 1 hour diagnosis.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
If its a TSB it won't be covered out of warranty. If its an actual recall (and your VIN is included in the recall range), it should be fixed regardless of how old the car is or what area its in....
Old 04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
If its a TSB it won't be covered out of warranty. If its an actual recall (and your VIN is included in the recall range), it should be fixed regardless of how old the car is or what area its in....
I don't know why I thought it was a recall. I think i saw someone refer to it as such. I have not seen a manufacturer with as many TSB's as Nissan does.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I dont know what regions should have to do with it if there is a TSB on it and your car is effected. I think i would be making a few more calls, First one being back to Nissan.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I dont know what regions should have to do with it if there is a TSB on it and your car is effected. I think i would be making a few more calls, First one being back to Nissan.
They will be talked to first thing tomorrow morning, trust me
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck, but I have a feeling Nissan won't cover it.

Service bulletins are just there to let techs know about common issues in a certain model. They are not like recalls in which they must be taken care of for free no matter the age or mileage.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Good luck, but I have a feeling Nissan won't cover it.

Service bulletins are just there to let techs know about common issues in a certain model. They are not like recalls in which they must be taken care of for free no matter the age or mileage.
Its a bunch of BS. You would think a manufacturer would cover an issue where something in the motor comes loose and fails from normal driving. Maybe they will be more inclined to help since my mother is the original owner and purchased it new from the dealer.