New Car Research

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022 | 08:54 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by ELIN
I don't think the CRV or RAV4 does 0-60 in 6-7 sec (one of the criterias in my first post). Not sure why you think I want something mediocre. I drive a TLX and was considering the CX50. If that screams mediocre, you may have to answer to some angry TLX and CX50 fans.

I've never ordered something this far in advance. I would only do it for something where the demand is expected to be high, like the '23 IONIQ 6 EV or the '23 GR Corolla (too bad I can't drive stick!).
Sorry but it does...

The CRV hybrid does 7.5s which isn't bad for what it is. A car doing 0-60 in 6-7 seconds isn't going to blow your socks off by any means so what's another 0.5s if it gives you everything else you want?

FWIW, my neighbors have been waiting 8 months for a Toyota Sienna (still haven't gotten it) and my coworker waited 7 months for a Kia Telluride and I've been waiting for more than a year for my truck to show up (still not here) so it's not like the only cars with crazy wait times are the super special limited run performance cars.
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:56 AM

^ Agreed, slightly different, but Maverick allocations are something like nearly a year. My dad got his order in for a '23 so we'll see how long it takes to get built/delivered.
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:56 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by mrmako
Your license should be revoked...... Can't drive a stick.

Seriously, Like someone above said, take a look at these: V60 CC
0-60 time is too slow lol, it's like 8 seconds for that one.

What about an Outback XT? Apparently the 0-60 time for that is in the high 5's.
Old 10-06-2022 | 09:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SamDoe1

It’s more like 6.4, not 8. OP is looking for 6-7 so this is right in there.
Old 10-06-2022 | 12:05 PM
Drifting

Your license should be revoked...... Can't drive a stick.

Seriously, Like someone above said, take a look at these: V60 CC
Living near NYC, knowing how to drive stick would be as useful as a Targaryen w/o a dragon!

Any comments on this (Edmund's review of the V60 CC):

"As infotainment screens have grown over the years, Volvo's 9-inch touchscreen has become a bit less striking. And with some controls buried under multiple menu layers, it's less intuitive than other systems. The absence of physical buttons and knobs means basic operations, like adjusting the climate control system, must be performed via the touchscreen. Volvo has added dual USB-C power ports for the back seat and a wireless phone charger up front. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration systems come standard, but they look small on Volvo's vertically oriented screen."

I hate not having physical button redundancy.
Old 10-06-2022 | 12:09 PM
Drifting

Not a fan of Subaru. I saw the CX50 as a much nicer version of the Outback/Forester.
Old 10-06-2022 | 12:10 PM
Drifting

Sorry but it does...

The CRV hybrid does 7.5s which isn't bad for what it is. A car doing 0-60 in 6-7 seconds isn't going to blow your socks off by any means so what's another 0.5s if it gives you everything else you want?

FWIW, my neighbors have been waiting 8 months for a Toyota Sienna (still haven't gotten it) and my coworker waited 7 months for a Kia Telluride and I've been waiting for more than a year for my truck to show up (still not here) so it's not like the only cars with crazy wait times are the super special limited run performance cars.
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ Agreed, slightly different, but Maverick allocations are something like nearly a year. My dad got his order in for a '23 so we'll see how long it takes to get built/delivered.
I'll keep this in mind and start asking dealers how long the wait time is for vehicles I'm interested in.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2022 | 01:25 PM
My first Avatar....

Not a fan of Subaru. I saw the CX50 as a much nicer version of the Outback/Forester.
thought the cx5/50 were off the list because of the back seat, or something.
Old 10-06-2022 | 01:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pttl
thought the cx5/50 were off the list because of the back seat, or something.
It is. I was answering why I wouldn't consider a Subaru since I actually put the CX50 ahead of it.

It's a lot to keep track of...
Old 10-06-2022 | 01:50 PM

I'd have no qualms about an Outback XT, but not the newest ones because they're on the outside.
Nearly bought a OB Limited a couple years ago.
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:33 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

So I just had a Volvo XC90 as a rental car in Germany a few weeks ago. The system was responsive, the GPS was a bit weird. Sometimes the directions would be "bear right" when it should have been "take the exit"... And there are some physical controls below the screen. I wouldn't worry about the screen just going dark and you control nothing.

One thing I will say, Volvo has very comfortable seats. If you drive for a while, you will appreciate that aspect. Wouldn't hurt to give it a look.

Own a Subaru. Love the car, hate the screen and system they use. Just horrible. The 2.5i is a weak engine, and CVT is your only transmission choice. But the AWD is rock solid and you will not get stuck anywhere.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:52 PM
Drifting

So I just had a Volvo XC90 as a rental car in Germany a few weeks ago. The system was responsive, the GPS was a bit weird. Sometimes the directions would be "bear right" when it should have been "take the exit"... And there are some physical controls below the screen. I wouldn't worry about the screen just going dark and you control nothing.

One thing I will say, Volvo has very comfortable seats. If you drive for a while, you will appreciate that aspect. Wouldn't hurt to give it a look.

Own a Subaru. Love the car, hate the screen and system they use. Just horrible. The 2.5i is a weak engine, and CVT is your only transmission choice. But the AWD is rock solid and you will not get stuck anywhere.
I've heard the same about Volvo's comfortable seats. I may end up trying the V60 CC but it will be compared directly against German cars I've owned (especially since the pricing is expected to be similar).
Old 10-07-2022 | 01:13 PM
Ex-OEM King

They've improved on all those things. Our 2021 has a great screen, responsive, and has android auto/apple carplay which is all one really needs anyway. The new Outback comes with the 2.5T engine option which has like 100hp more (and a crap ton more torque) than what yours has. Our Ascent has the same motor and, while not fast, it's certainly good enough to get out of its own way. In a smaller/lighter Outback, it would be even better.

CVT is still the only option but it's not bad. I generally don't even notice it's a CVT when driving it. The car isn't a sports car or even a performance car but it's also not meant to be either.
mrmako (10-07-2022)
Old 10-08-2022 | 08:50 PM
Drifting

Dealer visit update

So I made a visit to Lexus and Volvo today. My mind was blown by the power they had over the buyer.
Here's a short recap:

Lexus -
I asked about the NX350 and NX350h. I was told that for every 20 regular NX350s, they only got in one of the hybrids. They were willing to do MSRP for the regular NX350 but there was about 5k markup on the hybrid versions.
I sat in an NX250 in the showroom and was impressed by the newer tech. I wasn't too thrilled by the shifter which appeared to be a glorified joystick. It had the look of a shifter but moved in the cardinal directions. I don't see how this is better than the push button method. Most disappointing of all, the sales guy mentioned Lexus is not allowing anyone to special order. Most cars coming in are already accounted for. I have no advantage with a year remaining for my next car.

Volvo -
I went in asking for the V60 CC. None in stock and all are special orders. He had two where the special order was cancelled (customer deposit not refunded). He wanted $3500 above MSRP for the V60 CC. If I didn't want it, someone down the road would take it (I believe it). If I chose one of the SUVs (like the XC60), there would be no markup. Not being able to test drive this car is a deal breaker for me. I'm thinking my Volvo journey ends here as this was the only car I was interested in.
Old 10-09-2022 | 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Our Volvo dealer here in Buffalo is a complete jerk and their service dept roundly gets criticized for doing inadequate work by a lot of my Volvo-loving friends. I'd never buy one and it's what swayed me away from buying a V90.
Old 10-09-2022 | 05:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Our Volvo dealer here in Buffalo is a complete jerk and their service dept roundly gets criticized for doing inadequate work by a lot of my Volvo-loving friends. I'd never buy one and it's what swayed me away from buying a V90.
It's tough to buy a car knowing that you may not be able to get it serviced at the closest dealer!

With my Volvo dealership, no such issue but the V60 CC has been given "rarefied" status. The Lexus dealership I went to was world class and I would have no qualms going back there for service if I were to pull the trigger on an NX350.
Old 10-09-2022 | 08:20 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

So I made a visit to Lexus and Volvo today. My mind was blown by the power they had over the buyer.
Here's a short recap:

Lexus -
I asked about the NX350 and NX350h. I was told that for every 20 regular NX350s, they only got in one of the hybrids. They were willing to do MSRP for the regular NX350 but there was about 5k markup on the hybrid versions.
I sat in an NX250 in the showroom and was impressed by the newer tech. I wasn't too thrilled by the shifter which appeared to be a glorified joystick. It had the look of a shifter but moved in the cardinal directions. I don't see how this is better than the push button method. Most disappointing of all, the sales guy mentioned Lexus is not allowing anyone to special order. Most cars coming in are already accounted for. I have no advantage with a year remaining for my next car.

Volvo -
I went in asking for the V60 CC. None in stock and all are special orders. He had two where the special order was cancelled (customer deposit not refunded). He wanted $3500 above MSRP for the V60 CC. If I didn't want it, someone down the road would take it (I believe it). If I chose one of the SUVs (like the XC60), there would be no markup. Not being able to test drive this car is a deal breaker for me. I'm thinking my Volvo journey ends here as this was the only car I was interested in.
That sucks. Nothing like a dealer to make you turn away from a brand.

My Volvo dealer, can't say much as I have serviced mine away from them. But my Subaru, second best dealer in the nation. The best is where a HS friend of mine and my brother work at in the Rochester NY area.

Anyway, why not give Subaru a look. Can't hurt, and I will say their seats are almost as good as Volvo's. And as Sam Doe said above, their tech has improved.
Old 10-10-2022 | 11:56 AM
Drifting

Anyway, why not give Subaru a look. Can't hurt, and I will say their seats are almost as good as Volvo's. And as Sam Doe said above, their tech has improved.
I'd like a little more luxury than Subaru. If not Volvo, I will most likely go back to the Germans or try Lexus for the first time.
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:10 PM
Ex-OEM King

I'd like a little more luxury than Subaru. If not Volvo, I will most likely go back to the Germans or try Lexus for the first time.
You can go higher in the trim level to get more luxury and features/tech. For example, our Ascent Touring has upgraded/nicer leather, a heated steering wheel, vented seats, adaptive cruise, lane centering (which is 95% as good as my Tesla), heated rear seats, big sunroof, the camera rearview mirror, etc. All the things that would be present in a "luxury car" but at a cheaper price. It's not going to be a luxury car but it's not far off. As it pertains to a Lexus, our Subaru is every bit as good as the rental RX I had a few weeks ago. Better in a lot of ways, especially the infotainment and driver assist. It's not as good as a Benz or BMW or Audi...definitely on par or better than an Acura though.
00TL-P3.2 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:10 PM
Drifting

One annoying tidbit to add to my Lexus experience is that the Luxury package I wanted (which gives HUD and upgraded wheels) is super rare in my area and.....can't be special ordered!
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:13 PM
Drifting

It's not as good as a Benz or BMW or Audi...definitely on par or better than an Acura though.
In my 5 years with Acura, I can honestly say it gives "premium" a bad name.
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:17 PM
Ex-OEM King

In my 5 years with Acura, I can honestly say it gives "premium" a bad name.
I will say that the higher Subaru trims for something like the Outback or Ascent are going to be on par with or better than the "cheap" German cars like the GLA, X1, Q3, etc in terms of fit/finish and material quality. The Forester and Impreza versions aren't as good, even at the higher trim levels but they are also priced accordingly. None of them are as good as a X3, GLC, or higher but they are also considerably cheaper than those ones...and bigger too.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (10-11-2022), ELIN (10-10-2022), mrmako (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:20 PM
Drifting

Unless I'm mistaken, the only car in Subaru's lineup that can do 0-60 in 6-7 sec is the WRX, right? This is really important to me due to the really short entry ramps to the highway in my area.

When I first got my TLX, I nearly got hit by oncoming traffic because my prior experience with a sedan was a 2015 Audi A6 3.0L that made no apologies.
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:36 PM
Ex-OEM King

Unless I'm mistaken, the only car in Subaru's lineup that can do 0-60 in 6-7 sec is the WRX, right? This is really important to me due to the really short entry ramps to the highway in my area.

When I first got my TLX, I nearly got hit by oncoming traffic because my prior experience with a sedan was a 2015 Audi A6 3.0L that made no apologies.
Outback XT does 0-60 in 5.9s.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...w-performance/

If you're that sensitive to 0-60 times, you should reconsider your EV stance. That will get you up to any speed any time faster than nearly any car out there.
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:00 PM
Safety Car

If on-ramps is what you care about, don't bother looking at 0-60 numbers. 5-60 is what you want to key in on, unless you plan on using launch control every time you need to merge.
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
If on-ramps is what you care about, don't bother looking at 0-60 numbers. 5-60 is what you want to key in on, unless you plan on using launch control every time you need to merge.
Maybe you're thinking of the nice Cali entry ramps that allow someone to come up to speed to join the main highway. We have STOP and YIELD signs that are equivalent to STOP simply because of heavy traffic.

5-60 times mean you get a running start, yes?
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:05 PM
Ex-OEM King

Probably 30-60 times even.
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Maybe you're thinking of the nice Cali entry ramps that allow someone to come up to speed to join the main highway. We have STOP and YIELD signs that are equivalent to STOP simply because of heavy traffic.

5-60 times mean you get a running start, yes?
5-60 means you floor the accelerator as soon as you lift off from the brake. It's still from a stop, but you're not pre-loading the drivetrain.

0-60 numbers are only relevant when you use launch control, brake torque, or dump the clutch at high RPMs.
ELIN (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:16 PM
Drifting

5-60 means you floor the accelerator as soon as you lift off from the brake. It's still from a stop, but you're not pre-loading the drivetrain.

0-60 numbers are only relevant when you use launch control, brake torque, or dump the clutch at high RPMs.
Got it. I'll start tracking 5-60 times now. Every little help counts!
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:20 PM
Safety Car

BTW I guarantee your onramp is no where as short as the ones on the 110. Check it out at the 3:15 mark. You've got less than 10 yards to get up to speed

Old 10-10-2022 | 01:25 PM
Drifting

BTW I guarantee your onramp is no where as short as the ones on the 110. Check it out at the 3:15 mark. You've got less than 10 yards to get up to speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hPBrEpaJZI
That's kinda normal for my area. Every out of town client has complained about our short entry/exit ramps. I nearly get into accidents in such entry ways with my TLX.

If there's a ranking, I'm sure the Route 3/Route 46/Garden State Parkway highway entry ramps would be some of the worst in the country!
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:26 PM
Drifting

If you're that sensitive to 0-60 times, you should reconsider your EV stance. That will get you up to any speed any time faster than nearly any car out there.
Thanks for the Outback XT suggestion! I'm not a fan of CVTs that are not hybrids (had a Murano once).

I know EV's give cheap torque and 0-60 but I'm not comfortable jumping on the EV bandwagon just yet.
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:29 PM
Ex-OEM King

Thanks for the Outback XT suggestion! I'm not a fan of CVTs that are not hybrids (had a Murano once).

I know EV's give cheap torque and 0-60 but I'm not comfortable jumping on the EV bandwagon just yet.
Go give it a shot and see what you think. The Subaru CVT is a lot different than the Nissan one. I've had a handful of Nissan rentals and they were all utter garbage all around but this is now the second Subaru we've had with a CVT. Even as a car guy, you can't really tell that it's a CVT.
ELIN (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:36 PM
Drifting

Go give it a shot and see what you think. The Subaru CVT is a lot different than the Nissan one. I've had a handful of Nissan rentals and they were all utter garbage all around but this is now the second Subaru we've had with a CVT. Even as a car guy, you can't really tell that it's a CVT.
Judging by my luck with my first 2 dealership visits, I will most likely have to open my mind to more options. According to TrueCar, I can probably do slightly better than MSRP with an Outback Limited XT.
Old 10-10-2022 | 03:02 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Judging by my luck with my first 2 dealership visits, I will most likely have to open my mind to more options. According to TrueCar, I can probably do slightly better than MSRP with an Outback Limited XT.
My Subaru dealer was easy, pick the car and the options and that was the price. No room to wiggle as they sell a lot of these things. Now might be tough but you're looking a few months down the road. I say give it a test drive and see what you think.
ELIN (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 03:08 PM
Ex-OEM King

^ Same here for both of the Subarus we've bought so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
ELIN (10-10-2022), mrmako (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 08:20 PM
5th Gear

Based on your list you should also look at the Maserati Levante. Great power with a ton of room in it. Sounds phenomenal as well. I’ve owned two over the past few years and loved every minute. The service interval is easy but it does cost a little more to service but only a little more than the Mercedes. Unfortunately I drive more 40 to 50,000 miles a year and it’s just too much for a car like that that. Went back to an Acura because of the mileage.
Old 10-10-2022 | 08:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sgstewart1
Based on your list you should also look at the Maserati Levante. Great power with a ton of room in it. Sounds phenomenal as well. I’ve owned two over the past few years and loved every minute. The service interval is easy but it does cost a little more to service but only a little more than the Mercedes. Unfortunately I drive more 40 to 50,000 miles a year and it’s just too much for a car like that that. Went back to an Acura because of the mileage.
Levante is too big and too pricey for my needs. For the money, I’d probably get my first Porsche (saving for mid-life crisis)!
Old 10-11-2022 | 09:20 AM

The Murano was what soured me on the CVT as well. Had one for a rental on a work trip & despised doesn't adequately describe my feelings on it.
The Outback CVT & the Impreza hatch that I rented in CA a couple years ago are significantly better than the Nissan unit. Much less of the rubber-band effect & drives more like an automatic than a CVT to me.
ELIN (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022 | 01:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
The Murano was what soured me on the CVT as well. Had one for a rental on a work trip & despised doesn't adequately describe my feelings on it.
The Outback CVT & the Impreza hatch that I rented in CA a couple years ago are significantly better than the Nissan unit. Much less of the rubber-band effect & drives more like an automatic than a CVT to me.
Good to know! Now to find a Subaru dealer...

Quick Reply: New Car Research