AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   New Car Options (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/new-car-options-971336/)

A.Sensation 07-06-2018 09:20 PM

New Car Options

Yo so get this. Trump is increasing tax on all imported steel. That means the price of all imports will increase. This might be a broad discussion but what car would you pick to buy and why? It might be the last one for a while til a new Prez goes in.
I want to get a brz ts. Why a brz? Because one, the aftermarket for this car is limitless. Two, I rode in one that a friend of mine owns and the handling is amazing. I dont really believe in the crossover/SUV game because of the increasing price of gas.
I have an 05 TL ASPEC and it drives like a dream still. But I know I cant depend on this car forever.
So talk to me AZine family. What car and why?

AZuser 07-06-2018 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by A.Sensation (Post 16260174)
I dont really believe in the crossover/SUV game because of the increasing price of gas.

Subaru BRZ tS
21 MPG city / 29 MPG highway

Acura RDX
22 city / 28 highway

Mazda CX-5
25 MPG city / 31 MPG highway

Mazda CX-9
22 MPG city / 28 MPG highway

Audi Q5
23 MPG city / 27 MPG highway

Honda CR-V Touring
28 MPG city / 34 MPG highway

majin ssj eric 07-07-2018 12:04 AM

Wait, so importing a car counts as importing steel? I don't think that's how that works is it?

kurtatx 07-07-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 16260202)
Wait, so importing a car counts as importing steel? I don't think that's how that works is it?

I'm not sure, but I DO know that the cost of the steel in the car is only a small portion of the cost of the car itself.

svtmike 07-07-2018 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 16260202)

I don't think it is. I'd expect the tariffs to be technically applied to goods with particular HTS codes. Raw steel and finished automobiles are not the same. What you really need to worry about with the steel/aluminum tariffs is the cost of cars made in the US.

Remember how US appliance makers cheered the tariffs on imported home appliances and then went crying to their mommies about the tariffs on imported raw steel/aluminum? Same principle.

Now if he imposes a 20% tax on, say finished automobiles imported from Germany, then yes the prices of imported cars from Germany will rise.

That said the perfect replacement for an 05 TL is an A4 or A5.

kurtatx 07-07-2018 09:57 AM

And this farce that the US based car companies are just going to buying up more US originated steel is a joke. There just isn't enough steel to support the American car demand.

These things are going through my head, too. My lease is up in 18 months and I'm wondering what the automotive landscape is going to look like when my lease is done.

AZuser 07-07-2018 02:27 PM

Buy used? No tariffs on used cars.

majin ssj eric 07-07-2018 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16260277)
And this farce that the US based car companies are just going to buying up more US originated steel is a joke. There just isn't enough steel to support the American car demand.

These things are going through my head, too. My lease is up in 18 months and I'm wondering what the automotive landscape is going to look like when my lease is done.

I think expansion of the US domestic steel manufacturing sector is the primary reasoning for why he is implementing the tariffs. This will obviously create extra costs for domestic automakers in the short term but the goal would appear to be higher production of US steel in that time so the domestic companies no longer have to buy cheap imported steel. I don't know whether I agree or disagree with the tariffs yet as we need to see how it will play out and the trade implications for the US economy are definitely risky, but there's no question that cheap imported steel is the absolute number 1 cause for the drastic collapse of the domestic steel industry, which used to be the most robust in the world. Higher US steel production would be very good for the US economy, its just a question of whether or not its worth the risks highlighted above.

And after having read through the new tariffs I would conclude that this new policy will not affect the pricing of imported finished goods (such as cars) at all really. The actual car manufacturers who will hurt by this (for sure in the short term) are the domestic and US-built foreign brands as they will have to either pony up for the imported steel they currently use or try to source more expensive domestic steel. Only time will tell how this will work out in the long run, but its worth the short term pain if this revitalizes the domestic steel industry. If it doesn't (or it causes serious trade ramifications around the world such as retaliatory tariffs on imported US goods by other countries) then it could be a disaster for the US economy.

Yumcha 07-07-2018 10:15 PM

Replacing the TL...? Hrm...well, I'm biased since I just placed the order for one, but get an A5/S5. If the hatch is not your thing, the A4/S4 would be wonderful too. Cross-shop with BMW 3er and 4er as well to see how you like what's in the segment.

SamDoe1 07-08-2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by AZuser (Post 16260181)
Subaru BRZ tS
21 MPG city / 29 MPG highway

Acura RDX
22 city / 28 highway

Mazda CX-5
25 MPG city / 31 MPG highway

Mazda CX-9
22 MPG city / 28 MPG highway

Audi Q5
23 MPG city / 27 MPG highway

Honda CR-V Touring
28 MPG city / 34 MPG highway

:rofl:

Going from a TL to a BRZ as your only car will be painful.

Legend2TL 07-09-2018 08:21 AM

Honestly, keep your TL.
With proper maintenance and care, you can reasonably expect to get 250k+ miles out of it.