neuronbob's Official CTS-V Appreciation Thread (6MT V wagon 10 yrs old, pg 46)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Simply awesome!!!!

Night and day from the RL to a CTS-V!!!!!!!!

What a car!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
nice upgrade...congrats!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I always knew I hated you. Now I know why.

Seriously, I almost bought one in '04 but got my TL instead. I still love (and lust for) the CTS-V and consider it to be the epitome of serious performance sedans. God love Cadillac and congratulations on a fine choice.

Only thing.. you really should have gotten a manual.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

The amazing thing about the CTS-V is the fact that it is a Clark Kent/Superman driving machine. You can take your lady to a fine dinner (do NOT make use of a valet) then perhaps a movie or concert or play, and she'll never know what lies beneath the hood just waiting for further inputs from your right foot. So is it Clark Kent/Superman or maybe Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde? I prefer Mr. Kent and his Superman alter ego.

What Cadillac has done with the CTS-V is come closer than any other car company in making the perfect car.

"How can you say this, SouthernBoy"?

I can for the simple reason that this car both answers and satisfies more of the visceral urges of a confirmed gearhead/enthusiast than maybe anything else on the planet.

"But what about the M5"?

The M5? Not only is the M5 slower than the CTS-V but it is more expensive. But there is more. People are prone to chastise the small block Chevy. Pushrods, two values per cylinder, wedge shaped combustion chamber. But you know what? That engine has been around for nearly 55 years in one form or another and it's still proving that Chevy got it right from day one. The thing just flat works. And it is easy to work on, too.

Yep, Cadillac has managed to move up to that rarefied air where few machines trek. Thank God they did this and thank God we have a bonafide make-no-excuses I'm-an-American-original supercar from them to take the reigns of the truly great driving machines.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
congrats, awesome car for real!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
After only three days with what I am calling an affordable supercar, I agree with you 100%. God Bless America!

If I weren't married, I would have bought a 6MT. Recall, however, that it was the automagical version that is the fastest in class on the 'ring.....though that was largely because that's because the driver apparently had more experience in the 6AT V than in the 6MT V and didn't want to take extra time to really learn the 6MT.....

I wish to God I had that kind of driving skill. I'm too old to get those kind of reflexes.

My wife has NO idea what's under the hood, and I have NO intention of telling her how significant this car is.

Last, NO WAY is this car EVER being touched by a valet. I mean, EVER!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The amazing thing about the CTS-V is the fact that it is a Clark Kent/Superman driving machine. You can take your lady to a fine dinner (do NOT make use of a valet) then perhaps a movie or concert or play, and she'll never know what lies beneath the hood just waiting for further inputs from your right foot. So is it Clark Kent/Superman or maybe Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde? I prefer Mr. Kent and his Superman alter ego.

What Cadillac has done with the CTS-V is come closer than any other car company in making the perfect car.

"How can you say this, SouthernBoy"?

I can for the simple reason that this car both answers and satisfies more of the visceral urges of a confirmed gearhead/enthusiast than maybe anything else on the planet.

"But what about the M5"?

The M5? Not only is the M5 slower than the CTS-V but it is more expensive. But there is more. People are prone to chastise the small block Chevy. Pushrods, two values per cylinder, wedge shaped combustion chamber. But you know what? That engine has been around for nearly 55 years in one form or another and it's still proving that Chevy got it right from day one. The thing just flat works. And it is easy to work on, too.

Yep, Cadillac has managed to move up to that rarefied air where few machines trek. Thank God they did this and thank God we have a bonafide make-no-excuses I'm-an-American-original supercar from them to take the reigns of the truly great driving machines.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by neuronbob
After only three days with what I am calling an affordable supercar, I agree with you 100%. God Bless America!

If I weren't married, I would have bought a 6MT. Recall, however, that it was the automagical version that is the fastest in class on the 'ring.....though that was largely because that's because the driver apparently had more experience in the 6AT V than in the 6MT V and didn't want to take extra time to really learn the 6MT.....

I wish to God I had that kind of driving skill. I'm too old to get those kind of reflexes.

My wife has NO idea what's under the hood, and I have NO intention of telling her how significant this car is.

The M5 is a fine machine, make no mistake. As are the various offerings from AMG. One would be a fool to call them anything less than magnificent and I certainly am not about to be that fool.

What makes the CTS-V unique and what sets it apart from the best from Germany, is the fact that it is so uniquely American. And as such, it doesn't need to make excuses, play "what-if" games, or offer any sort of apology. It is what it is. And because of what lurks under its hood, it harkens back to the days of the mid-60's when American supercars ruled and there was nothing, here or in Europe, that could touch them in terms of serious performance and quality for dollars spent. Now Cadillac has awakened that beautiful beast again and indeed filled him with a terrible resolve. Terrible for the competition, that is. We may not see the CTS-V for many more years. In fact I would bet its end is not too far down the road if the greenies and their ilk have their way. And the automotive world will be a poorer place when it exits. But while it's here, let's enjoy it and remember times past and times present.

Good for you, Bob. We all envy you and love your decision to take this wonderful leap. Please keep us up to date with your CTS-V adventures.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Unregistered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pics of the engine ?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

"But what about the M5"?

The M5? Not only is the M5 slower than the CTS-V but it is more expensive. But there is more.
In the M5's defense, the E60 is a little long in the tooth nowadays debuting back in 2002-03. So BMW is due for a new 5-series; particularly as the flagship F01 is now in production, they can dedicate their efforts on an E60/E61 replacement. Whether or not it'll be "faster" than the new CTS-V, time will tell. (NOTE: an ungoverned E60 can top out at over 200 mph in stock form.)

All that said, the CTS-V is now the benchmark.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

We may not see the CTS-V for many more years. In fact I would bet its end is not too far down the road if the greenies and their ilk have their way.
This is one of the reasons I finally decided to make the leap. The ultimate price of GM's acceptance of government money is that they will be forced to go green. I'm not saying that's good or bad, that's for our Religion and Politics subforum. I am saying that a car like this that scores a "1" on the Green Card (see my picture of it, LOL!) is not gonna be around long.

I grabbed one while I could, and I am going to enjoy it as long as I can.

Originally Posted by valeratj
Any pics of the engine ?
All in good time, my good Watson, all in good time.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like its time to go to Cleveland, OH with my car jacking clothes on Congrats you now have my dream car.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 PM
FOR SALE - BM

nice ride. not a big fan of caddys but this one is growing on me. maybe ill have to take that S2k off your hands.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,807 Likes on 3,727 Posts
What makes the CTS-V unique and what sets it apart from the best from Germany, is the fact that it is so uniquely American. And as such, it doesn't need to make excuses, play "what-if" games, or offer any sort of apology. It is what it is. And because of what lurks under its hood, it harkens back to the days of the mid-60's when American supercars ruled and there was nothing, here or in Europe, that could touch them in terms of serious performance and quality for dollars spent. Now Cadillac has awakened that beautiful beast again and indeed filled him with a terrible resolve. Terrible for the competition, that is. We may not see the CTS-V for many more years. In fact I would bet its end is not too far down the road if the greenies and their ilk have their way. And the automotive world will be a poorer place when it exits. But while it's here, let's enjoy it and remember times past and times present.
You should be a poet SouthernBoy.

Bob - what can be said...humanahumanahumana.

WOW!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
where are the engine pics?!?!?!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:49 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
That is a great looking car. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

CTS-V is the epitome of gasoline automobiles

well, only in manual trim of course
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drove one in manual, and that is one of the smoothest trans I ever shifted. Clutch is SOOOOO SMOOOTH. I bet your wife could have learned...

anyways, how much $$$
Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
My argument about the current gen. M5: It's ugly...as fawk. There is no argument of it against the CTS-V...unless one has blinders on and can stand driving around in a fast...but, supremely ugly car.

Sorry, I'm kinda biased against Bangle's 5-series.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Moderator

More pics of Bob's car, dammit!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
My argument about the current gen. M5: It's ugly...as fawk. There is no argument of it against the CTS-V...unless one has blinders on and can stand driving around in a fast...but, supremely ugly car.

Sorry, I'm kinda biased against Bangle's 5-series.
I'm with ya. Never was a fan of it, my mom is though
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Senior Moderator

^ I've had this argument before, the only reason why the M5 passes as "hawt" for some is the BMW logo.

You take that design and slap it on msl82's fave brand, Hyundai, and instant hatred.

But, I digress... @ CTS-V...
Old 03-24-2009, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pttl
You should be a poet SouthernBoy.

Bob - what can be said...humanahumanahumana.

WOW!
Thank you, sir. To write well requires a measure of inspiration, among other things. The CTS-V is as fine an example of serious automotive inspiration as I have seen in some time. It's beauty lies in its duality of purpose. You have to wonder what's with some manufacturers who don't see this.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I would buy a CTS-V over an M5 any day...now an Audi S6, that's a little harder.

Bob, despite her being unaware of the power under the hood, how did the wife feel about this, erm, unplanned purchase?

Sweet new ride, though, man. Congrats.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Thank you, sir. To write well requires a measure of inspiration, among other things. The CTS-V is as fine an example of serious automotive inspiration as I have seen in some time. It's beauty lies in its duality of purpose. You have to wonder what's with some manufacturers who don't see this.
I'd also add:

You have to wonder what's with GM for taking almost 20 years to see what the Germans did. I'm no BMW/Audi fanboy, but the M5, S4 were doing this long before GM figured it out. To some extent, the Japanese were too, though many of those cars were not available in the US until recently.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yumchah
my argument about the current gen. M5: It's ugly...as fawk. There is no argument of it against the cts-v...unless one has blinders on and can stand driving around in a fast...but, supremely ugly car. :o

sorry, i'm kinda biased against bangle's 5-series. :d
+1.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
I'd also add:

You have to wonder what's with GM for taking almost 20 years to see what the Germans did. I'm no BMW/Audi fanboy, but the M5, S4 were doing this long before GM figured it out. To some extent, the Japanese were too, though many of those cars were not available in the US until recently.
GM, as also Ford and Chrysler, once knew exactly what to do and what a segment of the market wanted. But they all lost this awareness in favor of other pursuits. Not necessarily at the same time, but they all did. The Pontiac G8 and the Cadillac CTS-V proves that there is still a market out there for these machines. The Germans never forgot it.. we should not have, either.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Bob,

Amazing car--Congrats

I would like to call dibs on the S if you ever decide you want to park all your cars in the garage and need the space.

The V is a rocket on 4 wheels , you have done well for yourself.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Sweet ride man! I love the CTS-V. Any plans for it? Looks like it could use a small drop and some rims.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
how handsome I am

God, just looking at those pics makes me sweat... what a hot car
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
^ I've had this argument before, the only reason why the M5 passes as "hawt" for some is the BMW logo.
With who?

I vote for more pics as well.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Wow Bob! You really set AZ with ur new Caddy!!!!!

I still want a Vette, but would love to have a car like yours in the garage next to it!!!!he

And you still have ur 'vert to boot!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
With who?

I vote for more pics as well.
Why you in this thread?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
where is....

you're not going to also get rid of the s2k s/c are you?!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts

That's gold. Congrats man!

Hope you enjoyed your jaunt down the sweet roads here in Motown - dodging potholes is practically a professional sport here.

Oh yeah, and more pics.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Wise words.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AznX TL
you're not going to also get rid of the s2k s/c are you?!
I'm not getting rid of the S2000, but I'm going to sell the supercharger and exhaust I bought for it. With a V, I no longer need them. Therefore, in planning for my purchase of this car, I realized that I can pay down more of the principal for the financing by selling those items. They'll eventually be in the Black Market.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Wow Bob! You really set AZ with ur new Caddy!!!!!

I still want a Vette, but would love to have a car like yours in the garage next to it!!!!he

And you still have ur 'vert to boot!!!!
I didn't expect to set AZ ablaze with my purchase of the CTS-V. What a response! Speaking of a 'vette, at this time last year it was S2000 vs. 'vette, and the S won. Now I've got a four-door 'vette AND the S2000, so the best of both worlds. I don't know how long either will last, but I sure am thankful I can afford these and I'm going to enjoy the ride as long as possible.

I'll do some engine pix this weekend if I can figure out how to take off the plastic shroud over the engine. I don't want to mess it up.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Race Director

Sweet Sweet Caddy! Now, get rid of the Pilot for a better badass SUV! The Pilot and CTS-V just don't fit together in a garage. I guess you will put the s2000 outside?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
Sweet Sweet Caddy! Now, get rid of the Pilot for a better badass SUV! The Pilot and CTS-V just don't fit together in a garage. I guess you will put the s2000 outside?
An ML63 AMG would be a good garage companion.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
way to go!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Congrats...

So jealous.

Quick Reply: neuronbob's Official CTS-V Appreciation Thread (6MT V wagon 10 yrs old, pg 46)