Need Suggestions/Wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013 | 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

Need Suggestions/Wisdom

I am looking to buy my first car

Ideally, I would have gotten an RSX or integra in a manual, but since the parents are paying for the car, its gonna have to be an automatic, and a sedan

So basically, I need some advice. I am looking for a car that falls under all or most of the following categories:
- Automatic with tiptronic/manumatic/sportshift-- u get the idea, i want the fun of holding a car in gear, but I can't get a manual. I drove a 2010 GTi with the DSG and liked it.
- Sedan
- Decent looking, I'd like a sporty looking car even if its a sedan
- Must be good for winter driving (basically mean no RWD, only FWD and AWD/4x4)
- Should have a good amount of aftermarket parts cause thats just half the fun
- NO RHD
- And the biggest setback---> I am only allowed to spend under $5k CANADIAN on this car. I know some of you might be in the states where cars are cheaper, but try consider the fact that I need to buy the car in Calgary, AB.

Please help me out with any models you think suit my needs.
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

$5000 CAD is $5072 USD.

I think with a budget like that, you can still get a civic or integra sedan. It won't have the sportshift like you want but it'll have everything else that you're looking for.
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
$5000 CAD is $5072 USD.

I think with a budget like that, you can still get a civic or integra sedan. It won't have the sportshift like you want but it'll have everything else that you're looking for.
Well, a sportshift type thing is kind of the main thing I want since I can't have a manual. Plus the integra sedan seems to be scarce in my local area. Can only find a handful in decent condition.
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:16 PM

with a budget like 5000.. you wont get much.. a 1998 civic auto would be a choice.... maybe get a job first, save some money like 10k to get a better car?
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by potmilkz
with a budget like 5000.. you wont get much.. a 1998 civic auto would be a choice.... maybe get a job first, save some money like 10k to get a better car?
This car is being paid for specifically so I don't need to get a job. It doesn't have to be Honda/Acura. Just have the sportshift, and potential for me to upgrade it in the future when a little cash comes my way. When I say upgrade I mean mostly performance.

My cousin picked up an '04 Mazda 3i with 149000 kms for 4000. Not into that car specifically, but I know its possible to get a decent one for 5k.
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:29 PM

2G TL, with a good tranny?
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

You can get a 2G Acura TL for $5k. It'll have the sportshift, 4 doors, and FWD. If you don't think it's sporty enough or it lacks aftermarket parts, check out the 2G TL section and look at some of the other users' progress threads.

Some other suggestions:

- Nissan Altima
- Subaru Impreza
- Lexus IS300
- Toyota Corolla
- BMW E46

Last edited by DaeHanMeenGuk; 01-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

You can get a 2G Acura TL for $5k. It'll have the sportshift, 4 doors, and FWD. If you don't think it's sporty enough or it lacks aftermarket parts, check out the 2G TL section and look at some of the other users' progress threads.
Good suggestion, I'll check that out. What about german vehicles? Older BMWs, Audis, VWs?
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:48 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

i would just get a job.. save up your money.. pool it together with your parents $5k

have a nicer, newer car with way less miles than what your cousin picked up.

or just use only your money you make and get yourself that manual car you want with nice/new/lower miles.
Old 01-04-2013 | 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jjashaa
i would just get a job.. save up your money.. pool it together with your parents $5k

have a nicer, newer car with way less miles than what your cousin picked up.

or just use only your money you make and get yourself that manual car you want with nice/new/lower miles.
I see what your saying, but I'm gonna make the best of what my parents are gifting me, and get myself through university with it.
Old 01-04-2013 | 05:01 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

then just get whatever that is out there that'll last you through college and get your own better car later to invest your own money into for modifications.

Originally Posted by r1337

- Automatic
- Sedan
- FWD and AWD/4x4
- NO RHD
- $5k CANADIAN
Old 01-04-2013 | 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

I am looking to buy my first car

Ideally, I would have gotten an RSX or integra in a manual, but since the parents are paying for the car, its gonna have to be an automatic, and a sedan

So basically, I need some advice. I am looking for a car that falls under all or most of the following categories:
- Automatic with tiptronic/manumatic/sportshift-- u get the idea, i want the fun of holding a car in gear, but I can't get a manual. I drove a 2010 GTi with the DSG and liked it.
- Sedan
- Decent looking, I'd like a sporty looking car even if its a sedan
- Must be good for winter driving (basically mean no RWD, only FWD and AWD/4x4)
- Should have a good amount of aftermarket parts cause thats just half the fun
- NO RHD
- And the biggest setback---> I am only allowed to spend under $5k CANADIAN on this car. I know some of you might be in the states where cars are cheaper, but try consider the fact that I need to buy the car in Calgary, AB.

Please help me out with any models you think suit my needs.
Here are a few that I think would work out:
1. BMW 325/328 (like 1998-2000ish)
2. 2G Acura CL or TL (but these have "glass" transmissions...)
3. 6G or Older Accord
4. Acura Legend/RL
Old 01-04-2013 | 06:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Don't confuse the GTI DSG gearbox with a steptronic unit.

The DSG is in the GTI is a dual clutch gearbox.
An automatic transmission with a "manual mode" will not function in the same way as you will encounter a delay in shifts, along with not being able to hold certain gears (depending on the vehicle)

The DSG gearbox is near instantaneous shift times, and you can hold the gears.
Old 01-04-2013 | 07:12 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by csmeance
3. 6G or Older Accord
4. Acura Legend/RL
6G Accord coupe
Old 01-04-2013 | 07:25 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

An automatic transmission with a "manual mode" will not function in the same way as you will encounter a delay in shifts, along with not being able to hold certain gears (depending on the vehicle)

Excellent point. OP you might want to reconsider making a steptronic auto less of a priority so you open the door to other options.
Old 01-04-2013 | 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Excellent point. OP you might want to reconsider making a steptronic auto less of a priority so you open the door to other options.
^ agree, the novelty of paddle shifters and holding gears isn't really worth it, esp with a 5K budget. I have the feature in 3 cars and probably use it once in a blue moon, and that too is out of bordom or VERY sprited driving which is rare.

I think getting a car that's more reliable, comfortable, or has other features would be well worth it vs. the "manual mode".

IMO I'd get an older luxury car like an older RL, (one of my friends has a beautiful 92 LS with a V8), etc since they have been taken care of really well and plus are build to last unlike newer cars. Plus you can always find aftermarket parts since newer cars use the tech. from the old stuff!
Old 01-04-2013 | 08:48 PM
Cruisin'

then just get whatever that is out there that'll last you through college and get your own better car later to invest your own money into for modifications.
Well, I wanna make the best out of the $5k I get. I can spend all $5k, and it is basically I used it or I don't. Might as well make it a car I will enjoy throughout college.

3. 6G or Older Accord
4. Acura Legend/RL
After a previous post on this thread, I was considering the 2G TL. The transmission issue is what concerned me. I like the BMWs, but do they come with tiptronic??

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

I liked DSG a lot, but cannot afford any model with this tranny in my budget. The tiptronic on the Mazda 3 seems to be decent. I just don't like the Mazda 3.

How does the DSG compare to the tiptronic on the earlier model passats?

6G Accord coupe
I wish :P i'd love a coupe but thats probably a no no.

^ agree, the novelty of paddle shifters and holding gears isn't really worth it, esp with a 5K budget. I have the feature in 3 cars and probably use it once in a blue moon, and that too is out of bordom or VERY sprited driving which is rare.

I think getting a car that's more reliable, comfortable, or has other features would be well worth it vs. the "manual mode".

IMO I'd get an older luxury car like an older RL, (one of my friends has a beautiful 92 LS with a V8), etc since they have been taken care of really well and plus are build to last unlike newer cars. Plus you can always find aftermarket parts since newer cars use the tech. from the old stuff!
If I sacrafice the tiptronic, I'd still like to have a car thats fun to drive. What do you suggest in that case?
Old 01-04-2013 | 08:54 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

No BMWs for a first car. Dear God, I beseech thee ...

You will be so savaged anally by one like the Sisters did Andy Dufresne you will seriously consider setting it on fire.

Don't buy an Audi either. They were not good prior to 2004.

Buy a Honda. Be responsible. Realize you have the rest of your life to get a cool car.

Jesus. A BMW. Might as well tell him to dip his balls in fish guts and go chase polar bears.
Old 01-04-2013 | 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by charliemike

You will be so savaged anally by one like the Sisters did Andy Dufresne you will seriously consider setting it on fire.

Buy a Honda. Be responsible. Realize you have the rest of your life to get a cool car.

Jesus. A BMW. Might as well tell him to dip his balls in fish guts and go chase polar bears.
Why is that? I don't pay for the car, the maintainence or the gas. All I pay is insurance from my research work income and any mods I want to do.
Old 01-04-2013 | 09:16 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

jeez... save the troubles off your parents pockets and get a more reliable car.
Old 01-04-2013 | 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe charliemike is just trying to help you save you and your parents a headache as well as save some money that your parents will be spending on repairs and maintenance. The reliability of current BMWs may be great but many can't say the same about the older generation models.

In the end, it's your choice on what vehicle you choose to get. We can only give you suggestions. Ultimately, it's you who decides.

And to answer your question about whether or not the E46 comes with steptronic, I believe it does. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by DaeHanMeenGuk; 01-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2013 | 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

I understand, but if its going to fulfill all of my wishes in a car and keep it within the budget, then its a price we are willing to pay.

I believe charliemike is just trying to help you save you and your parents a headache as well as save some money that your parents will be spending on repairs and maintenance.

In the end, it's your choice on what vehicle you choose to get. We can only give you suggestions. Ultimately, it's you who decides.
LOL of course I will decide, but I am seeking the advice of the mighty Aziners haha so far, the advice has been good. Also, how do I edit the post? I want to add that if I was to go for a car without tiptronic, which options would I have in my price range?
Old 01-04-2013 | 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

try autotrader.com
Old 01-04-2013 | 09:33 PM
Coal

A civic or accord is where you need to be looking. German isn't something you get for a first car.

If you really want a triptronic/sport shift trans, get a job and save up for something better. 5k won't get you anything like what you want, sorry
Old 01-04-2013 | 10:15 PM
-Brandon

I'm 16 and if I were given ~$5k for a used car, I would consider the following:

- 2004+ Hyundai Tiburon (FWD, fun to drive, cheap to maintain) <---- FIND ONE... DO IT!
- 2001-2004 VW Passat (VW can get expensive for repairs, but it's a good car especially with a turbo)
- 2003-2005 Honda Accord (Coupe if you can find one)
- 2001+ Acura CL (Fun coupe that is like a boat with safety)
- 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT (I liked it when I was looking before I got a TL)
- 2000+ VW Golf (Those things never die)

Stay away from luxury cars like BMW/MB since it will tear you a new one if something goes wrong. Chances are, the car won't last you many years so be cautious putting in money aftermarket when the car's value doesn't make it a good investment. I'd also be careful with early year Fords and Chevys since they, in my opinion, weren't the 'best cars' around safety and reliability wise.

Edit: Any chance you'd consider a Toyota Celica?

Last edited by UA6~RBP; 01-04-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2013 | 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

@ OP not listening to suggestions on not insisting on sportshift. Those early sportshifts were crap and even some of the ones today are still gimmicks. Some of them don't hold the gear when you hit redline and the delay in shifts are terrible.

And the DSG in GTI isn't like regular sportshift because it doesn't have a torque converter. It's basically a manual transmission with 2 computer controlled clutches. Shifts are almost instant and acts like a real manual without driver controlling the clutch.
Old 01-04-2013 | 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by UA6~RBP

- 2004+ Hyundai Tiburon (FWD, fun to drive, cheap to maintain) <---- FIND ONE... DO IT!
- 2001-2004 VW Passat (VW can get expensive for repairs, but it's a good car especially with a turbo)

Stay away from luxury cars like BMW/MB since it will tear you a new one if something goes wrong. Chances are, the car won't last you many years so be cautious putting in money aftermarket when the car's value doesn't make it a good investment. I'd also be careful with early year Fords and Chevys since they, in my opinion, weren't the 'best cars' around safety and reliability wise.

OP said he's not allowed to pick out a coupe. 4 doors is a must. But if the number of doors didn't matter, I would've included the Celica into the short list I've made for OP.
Old 01-04-2013 | 10:46 PM
-Brandon

OP said he's not allowed to pick out a coupe. 4 doors is a must. But if the number of doors didn't matter, I would've included the Celica into the short list I've made for OP.
Whoops... reading > me

In that case, I heavily recommend the VW Passat, Golf, and any Subaru you can find. I still stand for the Accord and Elantra GT as well. I love hatchbacks.
Old 01-04-2013 | 11:56 PM
I like turtles

I understand, but if its going to fulfill all of my wishes in a car and keep it within the budget, then its a price we are willing to pay.
So, let me get this straight...you only have a 5k budget to spend on a car, but maintenance costs "are a price they are willing to pay" as long as you are happy?

Thats cool even tho I dont really understand that philosophy, but any BMW you buy for sub 5k (unless you know how to work on it) will be an instant regret.
The following users liked this post:
charliemike (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013 | 11:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, I wanna make the best out of the $5k I get. I can spend all $5k, and it is basically I used it or I don't. Might as well make it a car I will enjoy throughout college.

After a previous post on this thread, I was considering the 2G TL. The transmission issue is what concerned me. I like the BMWs, but do they come with tiptronic??

I liked DSG a lot, but cannot afford any model with this tranny in my budget. The tiptronic on the Mazda 3 seems to be decent. I just don't like the Mazda 3.

How does the DSG compare to the tiptronic on the earlier model passats?

I wish :P i'd love a coupe but thats probably a no no.

If I sacrafice the tiptronic, I'd still like to have a car thats fun to drive. What do you suggest in that case?
DSG is a whole different ball game and you won't find anything like it for 5K. Something fun to drive is going to be tough since you can't buy a 2door and then you can't buy a RWD car.

Originally Posted by charliemike

This is sound advice. I'm not sure what I was thinking suggesting a 325/328. If anything RUN AWAY unless you can get a PLATINUM extended warranty. Fiedlity Warranty services is the ONLY company that will now insure a BMW 760, and has spent $46,435 dollars on my car in the past 3 years on repairs for my 760. Let that sink in, FOURTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS. That's about 9 times your budget in 3 years on JUST repairs on things failing like seals, sensors, computers, etc.

My car was in the shop for more than 45 days in 2012 as well and I've been driving loaner cars. Hell I'm even driving a 2013 328i right now b/c my cooling system failed (Waterpump shattered and leaked everywhere)

Why is that? I don't pay for the car, the maintainence or the gas. All I pay is insurance from my research work income and any mods I want to do.
I'm sorry but that's the wrong attitude to have at your age. I'm going to be blunt and you won't like it. Your parents work DAMN hard to make sure you are happy.

They are giving you 5K and taking most of the expenses off you while you are young so you can study. Don't be immature and rude and not consider them when you are shopping for a car because they "can" or "will" foot the repair bill or gas bill. That's VERY selfish and you should apologize to your parents for even thinking that. If my kids did that I'd take the 5K back and tell them to figure out their own transportation.

Yeah I'm some guy on the internet saying this to you whose rambling. If you have had a job you know how hard it is to make a dollar and keep it. Your parents do the same thing. Even if they are well off the value of a dollar and the work they put in still stands there. If your kids pulled the same thing your thinking right now on you, you'd be equally as pissed.

LOL of course I will decide, but I am seeking the advice of the mighty Aziners haha so far, the advice has been good. Also, how do I edit the post? I want to add that if I was to go for a car without tiptronic, which options would I have in my price range?
Remember, your parents want to keep you happy, but that doesn't mean buying a 5K car that'll need 15K in repairs in the first 2 years or will have a 1K gas bill every month. If they could foot the 15K in bills in the future, don't you think they would have given you a larger budget?

IMO, get a 4 door civic or accord, or a camry. Mod it, drive the crap out of it and then when you are making money buy yourself a nicer car. You'll appreciate it a LOT more in the long run.

My list right now:
1. Honda Civic
2. Honda Accord
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Toyota Camry
5. Nissan Altima
6. Nissan Sentra
7. Ford Crown Vic
8. Ford Tarus
The following users liked this post:
tommystyle86 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013 | 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

maybe its just me but i hate when people start threads asking for advice. get well thought out good responses but completely ignore them.
The following 7 users liked this post by p.diddy:
08FLrdxSH-AWD (01-05-2013), EkSoni (01-05-2013), HeartTLs (01-05-2013), Redsand353 (01-05-2013), rossv1 (01-05-2013), tommystyle86 (01-05-2013), UA6~RBP (01-05-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2013 | 01:03 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
A civic or accord is where you need to be looking. German isn't something you get for a first car.
My first car was a 1985 528e $2500 bucks.

But that car was one of the last truly bullet proof bimmers. The engine was solid. The electronics started going at the end...but in the 4 years I owned it was all routine maintenance and wear and tear for the vast majority. I spent very little money on it over the course of my ownership.

The flipside is...you wont find that experience today with German cars. (but charliemike is just experiencing karma with his bimmer...cause he is a dick) Forget the tiptronic/automanual...etc and just deal with an auto since its al you'll find anyway.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 01-05-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2013 | 01:09 AM
Pro

I agree so far with everyone above me that has posted, My personal pick would be a 98-02 accord. tons of aftermarket parts and easy on the cost of repair
Old 01-05-2013 | 01:10 AM
The Third Ball

So, you are a spoiled brat?
The following 3 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
05TLdcc (01-05-2013), jjashaa (01-05-2013), Redsand353 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013 | 02:40 AM
Pro

98-04/05 Accord its fun ,cheap, reliable and in your budget! Or even a 02-04 Altima might fit your budget.
Old 01-05-2013 | 02:51 AM
Drifting

get this

btw, don't try to be the coolest kid around town, that won't help you at all.
Old 01-05-2013 | 08:38 AM
I like turtles

Why not find an old Grand cherokee/Cherokee with the 4.0??? Not sure what those run for over in canada but in this country thats an easy find for <5k. Reliable (dont buy a limited), easy to work on, and great for winter. DO IT. (if not buy a honda)

and if you dont do either, your a fool
Old 01-05-2013 | 09:15 AM
Liquid Ice

2G TL would be a good choice. If the transmission has been replaced recently (I got mine replaced at 70K) it supposedly would be good for another 100K. If you're not worried about repairs - you could get a 2G TL and if the tranny breaks - then it would get fixed. Some people with 2G TLs are also replacing it with one out of an 06-07 5AT Accord and getting better reliability.

Another option - 5G Maxima, the 2002-2003 model has 255hp/246 lb-ft - Only a 4 speed transmission, I dont think it has sport shift

Reliability on the Maxima wouldn't be as good as the TL (except for the tranny) - My brother had a 6-speed Maxima and had a lot of suspension problems (probably from driving it like he stole it, but he had it from when it was new).
Old 01-05-2013 | 01:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 05TLdcc

If you really want a triptronic/sport shift trans, get a job and save up for something better. 5k won't get you anything like what you want, sorry
After talking it over with my parents over the evening, as well as thinking about it we have come to a different decision. I was only given a 5k budget because that way I can get 3rd party liability insurance. I wouldnt need collision or anything else. I'm gonna drop the tiptronic, and replace the car in 2-3 years, and drive a nicer one during the later years of university.

Originally Posted by UA6~RBP

I'd take a lot of those models, just the coupe idea isnt gonna fly with my parents. I LOVE the passat, but cannot find one under 5k. I like the elantra GT. May be looking into one of those.

Can I find a golf in auto? All the ones I saw for sale are standards.

Originally Posted by alex2364
@ OP not listening to suggestions on not insisting on sportshift. Those early sportshifts were crap and even some of the ones today are still gimmicks. Some of them don't hold the gear when you hit redline and the delay in shifts are terrible.

And the DSG in GTI isn't like regular sportshift because it doesn't have a torque converter. It's basically a manual transmission with 2 computer controlled clutches. Shifts are almost instant and acts like a real manual without driver controlling the clutch.
I'm listening to suggestions. After doing some research I know that BMWs are not a good idea, and that tiptronics arent what I really like. Im gonna replace this car in a couple years with VW with a DSG tranny, which will probably be cheaper by that time.

Originally Posted by Redsand353
So, let me get this straight...you only have a 5k budget to spend on a car, but maintenance costs "are a price they are willing to pay" as long as you are happy?

Thats cool even tho I dont really understand that philosophy, but any BMW you buy for sub 5k (unless you know how to work on it) will be an instant regret.
The reason for the smaller budget is insurance. Keep in mind if I want collision as a 16 y/o, its gonna cost a fortune.

DSG is a whole different ball game and you won't find anything like it for 5K. Something fun to drive is going to be tough since you can't buy a 2door and then you can't buy a RWD car.

This is sound advice. I'm not sure what I was thinking suggesting a 325/328. If anything RUN AWAY unless you can get a PLATINUM extended warranty. Fiedlity Warranty services is the ONLY company that will now insure a BMW 760, and has spent $46,435 dollars on my car in the past 3 years on repairs for my 760. Let that sink in, FOURTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS. That's about 9 times your budget in 3 years on JUST repairs on things failing like seals, sensors, computers, etc.

My car was in the shop for more than 45 days in 2012 as well and I've been driving loaner cars. Hell I'm even driving a 2013 328i right now b/c my cooling system failed (Waterpump shattered and leaked everywhere)

I'm sorry but that's the wrong attitude to have at your age. I'm going to be blunt and you won't like it. Your parents work DAMN hard to make sure you are happy.

They are giving you 5K and taking most of the expenses off you while you are young so you can study. Don't be immature and rude and not consider them when you are shopping for a car because they "can" or "will" foot the repair bill or gas bill. That's VERY selfish and you should apologize to your parents for even thinking that. If my kids did that I'd take the 5K back and tell them to figure out their own transportation.

Yeah I'm some guy on the internet saying this to you whose rambling. If you have had a job you know how hard it is to make a dollar and keep it. Your parents do the same thing. Even if they are well off the value of a dollar and the work they put in still stands there. If your kids pulled the same thing your thinking right now on you, you'd be equally as pissed.

Remember, your parents want to keep you happy, but that doesn't mean buying a 5K car that'll need 15K in repairs in the first 2 years or will have a 1K gas bill every month. If they could foot the 15K in bills in the future, don't you think they would have given you a larger budget?

IMO, get a 4 door civic or accord, or a camry. Mod it, drive the crap out of it and then when you are making money buy yourself a nicer car. You'll appreciate it a LOT more in the long run.

My list right now:
1. Honda Civic
2. Honda Accord
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Toyota Camry
5. Nissan Altima
6. Nissan Sentra
7. Ford Crown Vic
8. Ford Tarus
I understand what ur saying, but again just read my previous responses in this post and u will understand.

I like the accord, altima and sentra.

Originally Posted by p.diddy
maybe its just me but i hate when people start threads asking for advice. get well thought out good responses but completely ignore them.
I'm not ignoring any advice. Just taking it in, and trying to make my decision easier.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
My first car was a 1985 528e $2500 bucks.

But that car was one of the last truly bullet proof bimmers. The engine was solid. The electronics started going at the end...but in the 4 years I owned it was all routine maintenance and wear and tear for the vast majority. I spent very little money on it over the course of my ownership.

The flipside is...you wont find that experience today with German cars. (but charliemike is just experiencing karma with his bimmer...cause he is a dick) Forget the tiptronic/automanual...etc and just deal with an auto since its al you'll find anyway.
I've ditched the idea of a bmw, as well as tiptronic.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
So, you are a spoiled brat?
uncalled for, and not true.

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019

get this

btw, don't try to be the coolest kid around town, that won't help you at all.
I could never be the coolest kid in town at my HS. Theres kids rolling in with brand new BMWs, and camaros for their 16th bday.

I cannot find ANY Integra sedans on Autotrader or kijiji.

Originally Posted by Redsand353
Why not find an old Grand cherokee/Cherokee with the 4.0??? Not sure what those run for over in canada but in this country thats an easy find for <5k. Reliable (dont buy a limited), easy to work on, and great for winter. DO IT. (if not buy a honda)

and if you dont do either, your a fool
Not into the jeeps, but i'm leaning towards hondas now.

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
2G TL would be a good choice. If the transmission has been replaced recently (I got mine replaced at 70K) it supposedly would be good for another 100K. If you're not worried about repairs - you could get a 2G TL and if the tranny breaks - then it would get fixed. Some people with 2G TLs are also replacing it with one out of an 06-07 5AT Accord and getting better reliability.

Another option - 5G Maxima, the 2002-2003 model has 255hp/246 lb-ft - Only a 4 speed transmission, I dont think it has sport shift

Reliability on the Maxima wouldn't be as good as the TL (except for the tranny) - My brother had a 6-speed Maxima and had a lot of suspension problems (probably from driving it like he stole it, but he had it from when it was new).
Is that 70k miles? I like the 2G tl quite a bit. If I was shopping for the TL, what should I be looking for.
Old 01-05-2013 | 02:09 PM
KCCO

An SUV (like the jeep) or any other for that matter might be a better first car for many reasons other than just 4WD. Size is usually a huge things to parents and an SUV foots that bill (i had a '92 F-150 ext cab as a first car). Most good SUV's in your price range are fairly easy to keep up on mainteneance so theres a little bit of a money saver. Then there is the insurance issue. My second car was a 2004 mitsubishi eclipse gts and I was spending $120 a month on insurance. When I bought my RDX, my insurance took a downwards spiral in price just for the meer fact that it is an SUV and not a car. Something to keep in mind