Need info on MDX 2001-2003

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need info on MDX 2001-2003

I like to know if anyone here owned or test drove the Acura MDX from year 2001-2003. I plan on getting the Touring model.

Is there any bugs with these year range.

Over-all how is its quality, performance and comfort for traveling.

Wifes been bugging me to get one lately

Thanks 4 any thoughts about these MDX's
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
They have the same tranny problems as the CL/TLs.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by Shift_it
I like to know if anyone here owned or test drove the Acura MDX from year 2001-2003. I plan on getting the Touring model.

Is there any bugs with these year range.

Over-all how is its quality, performance and comfort for traveling.

Wifes been bugging me to get one lately

Thanks 4 any thoughts about these MDX's

My step mom drives a 2002 Touring model that I drive on a semi-regular basis.
I like it, and even considered buying it from her, but I decided that I'm too young to give up the sports cars just yet.
It is a very nice truck, rides smooth, quiet...and the 3.5 engine isn't too shabby either. Plenty of room for being a mid-sized SUV. The third row of seats is not suitable for adults, but just fine for children under 12-13 I would say.
The only mechanical problems that I have come to know about the MDX is some sort of chronic problem with the rear suspension ( I'm not familiar with exactly what that is) and they also suffer from the same transmission problems that some of the CL's & TL's face (which is covered for 100,000 miles).
All in all, a great SUV that I would not mind having. However, if I was looking to spend $25,000 on an SUV, used VW Toureg's have been going for about that much in this area as well, and I would be more inclined to pick one of those up instead. Just my .

Let us know what you decide to do, GOOD LUCK!

B
Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Racer

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!

So these MDX have the same transmission as the CL/TLs?

I mean I have a 99 TL, which I have to orginal tranny w/ 124K. No probs. Dammit.. what to tell the wife. I am not sure if I want the MDX now... I mean if its the same tranny platform as the 2000-2003 TLs
Or is it not the same tranny, but same issues?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Racer

*UpDate*

I called Acura service dept out. mention if the MDX has the same tranny issues.

Service rep been w/ the acura dealership for over 9 years and said that there is NO warrenty extension on the tranny on the MDX's like the TL's/CL's.
He said that there was a recall and that was to put the Jet kit on the MDX due to the 2nd gear shift. Overall he told me there is really no issues w/ the tranny and is really a top notch quality vehicle for what it offers. I provided the vin# to him and he said that the jet kit been installed on the MDX I am looking at. Well at least thats a good thing.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM
on to the next one...

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!

So these MDX have the same transmission as the CL/TLs?

I mean I have a 99 TL, which I have to orginal tranny w/ 124K. No probs. Dammit.. what to tell the wife. I am not sure if I want the MDX now... I mean if its the same tranny platform as the 2000-2003 TLs
Or is it not the same tranny, but same issues?

As far as I know, they are essentially the same transmission, but the problems are much less prevelant.
Personally, I have a 01' CL-S w/ 90k miles on it and still have a perfectly working first tranny, and the 02' MDX has 50k miles on it with a perfectly working first tranny as well. I don't know that I would let that keep you from buying a car you really, but then again, I've never had deal with the hassle of tranny problems either...

Best of luck!

B
Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
on to the next one...

*UpDate*

I called Acura service dept out. mention if the MDX has the same tranny issues.

Service rep been w/ the acura dealership for over 9 years and said that there is NO warrenty extension on the tranny on the MDX's like the TL's/CL's.
Well, He'd know more than me! Sorry for the misinformation. I know they had the recall because I took the MDX in the same time I took my CL-S in.
Because most MDX drivers do not have the same driving tendancies as some CL/TL drives, tranny failer is less common on the MDX, so unless you really plan on beating on the tranny, I wouldn't worry too much about it....
B
Old 09-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
As far as I know, they are essentially the same transmission, but the problems are much less prevelant.
Personally, I have a 01' CL-S w/ 90k miles on it and still have a perfectly working first tranny, and the 02' MDX has 50k miles on it with a perfectly working first tranny as well. I don't know that I would let that keep you from buying a car you really, but then again, I've never had deal with the hassle of tranny problems either...

Best of luck!

B
Thanks for the info.

BTW may I ask what kind of MPG your getting on your MDX? Also are you using Premium fuel or Regular?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 PM
on to the next one...

Thanks for the info.

BTW may I ask what kind of MPG your getting on your MDX? Also are you using Premium fuel or Regular?
Well, I've pretty much only used it for road-trips. But I believe it gets 15-17 city and about 25 on the highway. Regular fuel and the oil is NOT changed as often as it should be, so that probably makes a difference too..