need help picking out an SUV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
07 santa fe > 6-7 year old lexus or acura suvs IMO.

maybe it's just me but i've never had any luck with suvs with high mileage. i've had 3 of them, and all ended up trading for a newer and less headache cars. even if it doesn't break, you still have to replace those expensive parts. having a peace of mind is more important to me. i loved my mdx, but after 100k, it gave me problems after problems. little things, but it cost me alot of money i wish i didn't had to spend.
wear and tear happens. big deal, its all part of owning a car.

And I still say for a little old lady, lexus dealer will treat her better than any hyundai dealer.

Unless she is ultra cheap and doesnt care about that, then sure go for a santa fe. The new ones are pretty nice.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 AM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my boss has a 07 santa fe, its not bad. but im more comfortable working with toyota/lexus. and thanks for the offer shoofin, im probably gonna go talk to her later today to see if she's willing to go for it.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
buy a car..... do you really need a pseudo truck (my apologies to is300eater, who has the exception to my rule of Stupid Useless Vehicles).....
Cars just don't offer enough cargo space. Granted, most of the time I am not lugging anything around, but when you have to make trips to hardware stores or when buying anything larger, getting it in a car can be tough. My wife has a RAV4 and even though it is about as small of an suv as you can get, it really does come in handy.

Also most people either love or hate minivans/wagons, so if you do not like one you are not going to spend all that money on one. I know I wouldn't. I like having one car and one suv in the household. On the other hand, I will agree that many families have multiple oversized vehicles that go well beyond their needs.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock2534
Cars just don't offer enough cargo space. Granted, most of the time I am not lugging anything around, but when you have to make trips to hardware stores or when buying anything larger, getting it in a car can be tough. My wife has a RAV4 and even though it is about as small of an suv as you can get, it really does come in handy.

Also most people either love or hate minivans/wagons, so if you do not like one you are not going to spend all that money on one. I know I wouldn't. I like having one car and one suv in the household. On the other hand, I will agree that many families have multiple oversized vehicles that go well beyond their needs.
That's my point. I guess I'm a bit passionate about it. If this is a second or third vehicle, then sure, something that can be used to haul large things, etc... makes some sense. Now, some of the unibody types (Chevy Traverse, Rav4, CR-V) are more like cars and fit this well (I guess the Lexus fits here too). At least these try to pull 20-25 MPG.

But when I visit the US, and see tiny women driving a Suburban, or a Tahoe (insert large SUV make here), and it has never left pavement, or towed anything more than groceries I get pissed. Plus they bitch when gas prices go up? Go to hell. Drive what you can afford.

I do admit my favorite grocery getter would be an Audi RS6............... 560HP..........
Old 12-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Lexus or Hyundai? I think the answer is clear. I don't care how much better today's Hyundai's are than it's past...It 'aint no Lexus..
Old 12-28-2008, 03:09 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the mdx, those engines in the rx arnt too good. Unless you plan on changing it. Guess it was a bad time for toyota. My dads 02 4runner needed a new engine at 80k. Wasnt cheap.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
That's my point. I guess I'm a bit passionate about it. If this is a second or third vehicle, then sure, something that can be used to haul large things, etc... makes some sense. Now, some of the unibody types (Chevy Traverse, Rav4, CR-V) are more like cars and fit this well (I guess the Lexus fits here too). At least these try to pull 20-25 MPG.

But when I visit the US, and see tiny women driving a Suburban, or a Tahoe (insert large SUV make here), and it has never left pavement, or towed anything more than groceries I get pissed. Plus they bitch when gas prices go up? Go to hell. Drive what you can afford.

I do admit my favorite grocery getter would be an Audi RS6............... 560HP..........
I took the wifes Rav to buy two suitcases a few weeks ago, when I was going out to the car this little hottie came tearin in with her big as Yukon and parked next to me, I felt like a little bee-atch getting in the Rav with her big ass ride next to me!!