Need help with automotive electrical diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Need help with automotive electrical diagnosis

Need help diagnosing a problem in my wifes' Mazda Protege5.

The rear wiper is stopped about 1/2 way up. Normally if you are to turn the wiper off, it will reset to its normal position (horizontal), so I do NOT think the switch is the problem.

(Yes I checked the fuse already).

From the switch on the wiper stalk, there is a relay in the left rear of the hatch area, although I haven't been able to access it. This controls the wiper motor located (obviously) on the rear hatch. I was able to access the motor today, briefly, until it started to rain.

I was planning on checking the electrical signals at the plug from the relay that is plugged in to the motor, so I turned the multimeter to Ohms and put the leads on the POS and NEG plugs. I was getting, I think, something like 0.5 ohms (can't recall what setting it was on), although it was NOT alternating up and down like I "think" it should (relay sends on/off/on/off signal to motor, correct?).

How can I best diagnose this, considering I wasn't even sure what setting to have the multimeter on for sure? I am planning on pulling out the relay and checking continuity (what setting??!!??!! across the terminals according to the shop manual. How can I check the motor itself w/o uninstalling it, moving it to the front of the car, and attaching it directly to the battery? Or is that even a good idea?

Anything else that you can think of (and answer my questions about which setting on the multimeter I should be using to check continuity, and for checking if the relay is sending a signal through the wires to the motor).

Thanks everyone.

Electrical testing semi-n00b.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Sounds like the rear wiper motor is bad. From my experience with my Explorer it's a common problem. Try to grease the wiper motor & jimmy the wiper arm & see if if will go down. Or take out the motor & clean it then reinstall & see if it will work.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Sounds like the rear wiper motor is bad. From my experience with my Explorer it's a common problem. Try to grease the wiper motor & jimmy the wiper arm & see if if will go down. Or take out the motor & clean it then reinstall & see if it will work.
Definately going to try that tomorrow.

I called Mazda for "fun" and even with my discount through a friend, it's a $225 part. If that's the case, its gonna get tossed. LOL