NASCAR bans “General Lee” from Phoenix race

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
This is naive, short sided thinking.

I'm guessing all those history buffs that do Civil War Battle Re-enactments, who are on the side of the Confederates, are a bunch of racist bigots too, right?

You can't be serious.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean

Well when I stop seeing this, then I will agree with you
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie

I assume a cross offends you too....since that is associate with the KKK.

Again...you can't be serious.

You must be trolling.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Hell, i still use my dukes of hazard cereal bowl that i got 30 years ago.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 5,933 Likes on 2,926 Posts

Those IDIOTS stole that symbol. The more you protest the use of that symbol for its legitimate purposes, the more you empower the IDIOTS. Moog got it right - do you feel the same way about the cross?
The following users liked this post:
FirePR2002 (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You must be trolling.
And sunglasses - that dude in the back is wearing them....
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by FirePR2002
And sunglasses - that dude in the back is wearing them....
Then ray charles must be one of them too.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

You must be trolling.
He has to be. Unless he objects everytime one group steals another's symbol, tradition, etc. and uses it for something bad.

I wonder if he sleeps on bed sheets with pillow cases since that is what the KKK used for their "uniforms" back in the day
Old 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM
bringin lead

Didn't the Nazis wear boots?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Ultra Negro

Yes a group of idiots have made that flag an issue at technically which should be alright to fly at a NASCAR Race, but there are more than just a few people that have been hurt by those waving that flag shouting things that are bad and harming people, hence why those people shun it.

Imagine if you got told you couldn't do something because of the color of your skin, you got beat because of that, you were told you were stupid because of that, and it was the American flag being waved in your face while it was being done, I am sure you was have a completely different view of the flag after that.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Anyway...............

Going back to the original theme of the thread, I still think NASCAR's rationing is more of a business decision than anything else. I certainly think the original Dukes of Hazard program and the confederate flag used on the GL wasn't used with any ill intent.

It's unfortunate that some racist groups or individuals, however, have chosen to associate themselves with the flag. This is no different than the Nazis choosing to use the swastika as part of their identity. As I'm sure most of you know, the swastika was around well before the Nazi party and certainly was never associated in a hateful manner before being adopted by the Nazis.

All this being said, with NASCAR losing it's core base and very few new viewers tuning in, it isn't going to associate itself with anything that may offend potential viewers. And more importantly, not piss off the corporate sponsors that also continue to leave. The confederate flag has a rich history, and through the actions of some, it has been misrepresented at times. I can understand why some may take offense, and as such NASCAR isn't going to associate itself with anything that may be cause people to turn away from the sport (well, if you can call that current circus a sport).
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by teranfon
Anyway...............

Going back to the original theme of the thread, I still think NASCAR's rationing is more of a business decision than anything else. I certainly think the original Dukes of Hazard program and the confederate flag used on the GL wasn't used with any ill intent.

It's unfortunate that some racist groups or individuals, however, have chosen to associate themselves with the flag. This is no different than the Nazis choosing to use the swastika as part of their identity. As I'm sure most of you know, the swastika was around well before the Nazi party and certainly was never associated in a hateful manner before being adopted by the Nazis.

All this being said, with NASCAR losing it's core base and very few new viewers tuning in, it isn't going to associate itself with anything that may offend potential viewers. And more importantly, not piss off the corporate sponsors that also continue to leave. The confederate flag has a rich history, and through the actions of some, it has been misrepresented at times. I can understand why some may take offense, and as such NASCAR isn't going to associate itself with anything that may be cause people to turn away from the sport (well, if you can call that current circus a sport).
Now I completely agree with what you said there. Well written.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:24 PM
bringin lead

Yes a group of idiots have made that flag an issue at technically which should be alright to fly at a NASCAR Race, but there are more than just a few people that have been hurt by those waving that flag shouting things that are bad and harming people, hence why those people shun it.

Imagine if you got told you couldn't do something because of the color of your skin, you got beat because of that, you were told you were stupid because of that, and it was the American flag being waved in your face while it was being done, I am sure you was have a completely different view of the flag after that.
I understand where you're coming from, but you are misdirecting your contempt to the flag and other inanimate symbols and not the individuals that are responsible for the actions which cause the harm.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Ultra Negro

I understand where you're coming from, but you are misdirecting your contempt to the flag and other inanimate symbols and not the individuals that are responsible for the actions which cause the harm.
Fair enough.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
This is why The Sarlacc never goes to airshows.

He gets very offended when a Messerschmitt Bf 109 flies by.
He gets very offended when a Junkers Ju 87 is on display.

For he knows those aircraft only mean one thing and one thing only: Death to the Jews!!!...and by displaying them it surely means that the airshow organizers are in support of Nazi policies.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 5,933 Likes on 2,926 Posts
Fair enough.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

100% agreed. It's completely a business decision. Not sure it's a really wise one though. I mean really, why not just put a removable piece of orange vinyl on the roof that matches the body color and be done with it? Much less of a big deal and the car still gets to enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people at the track and millions on TV. If they did that from the beginning it would have received much less attention and the show would still go on.

Instead they go with the knee-jerk reaction and end up looking worse IMO. I'm sure they're loving the free publicity... but still think cutting some vinyl would have been the better way to go...
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM
bringin lead

^I'm not so sure there'd be that much less fanfare about it though. Wouldn't there be the purists that would complain that it wasn't THE general lee, but a watered-down form? I guess I'm saying people are gonna complain either way.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, either way there would be complaints... but a quick cover-up on the roof and the car still drives the track. NASCAR still gets some media attention for it, some sh!t for covering it up, but at least it happens. Personally I think that would have been the lesser of two evils.

But you're right... can't please everyone. The smartest thing would have been to never commit to having the car there in the first place. I mean, it's not like the car just got the flag yesterday. They didn't seem to think this through all the way...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
This is naive, short sided thinking.

I'm guessing all those history buffs that do Civil War Battle Re-enactments, who are on the side of the Confederates, are a bunch of racist bigots too, right?

You can't be serious.
I'm Black, fairly conservative (as many here can attest) and a card carrying Republican (literally) but OperationDarkie is right: It stands for racism and bigotry in the black community. Honestly, the confederate flag is to African Americans what the Swastika is the Jewish people.

Now, even if a bunch of nutjobs "hijacked" that flag, it was still the flag that was proudly waving during a time when hundreds of black men were being lynched across this country. It's still a flag that symbolizes looking back --with fondness -- at a southern heritage and way of life during which blacks were held in the same regard as any other piece of personal property.

to R&P this thread but, it's headed there anyway.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Ultra Negro

I think what it boils down to is the history of that part of the flag and NASCAR didn't what to be apart of that particular history of flag. I know it is part of the history of running moonshine, but I think NASCAR didn't want to be part of the bad part of that history which is why they didn't want it to be shown on National TV, granted I did get carried away with my examples but there are a lot of people (not just black people) that do not want to be associated with that part of the history.

But one thing is right about this topic, it was definitely done for publicity.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
got any pix of a black guy holding that flag?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
oh i found it.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I think the important thing here is to understand the symbol (in this case the confederate flag) in its context. 99% of the public know that the flag on the General Lee has nothing to do with racism. Don't live under a rock the whole time and then come out and bitch about it. People these days are completely unaware of history and then ruin it for everyone.

This can also be said about the swastika being associated with the nazis. The symbol is just a symbol, and actually means good luck in Hindu/Buddhist cultures.

The same type of people complain about saying "under God" in the pledge of allegiance or banning Christmas from schools. This generation is filled with effing whiners. Grow over it.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
oh i found it.

Yeah I am sure that one black guy represents a whole ethnicity.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^Not that it matters given the current consensus on matter, but I think you missed the whole point of his post(s), that one specifically.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Anyway...............

+1, i think it was a NASCAR media attention ploy as well.

Pretty good article in the Wall Street Journal last year about how the sponsors are shrinking their budgets which had a ripple down effect to the teams and their operations. Also NASCAR expanded too fast into old and new markets and now having multiple races at the same tracks have cut attendance.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Also NASCAR expanded too fast into old and new markets and now having multiple races at the same tracks have cut attendance.
Agreed. I think that was really one of the biggest causes of their downfall. They took the races out of the core areas where fan support was off the charts (Rockingham, North Wilksboro, Riverside, etc) and built these big flashy tracks in "non-NASCAR" markets that were rich in money, but not so much in loyal fans. Then they staged multiple events at the tracks (instead of spreading it around) and increased the lenght of the season to where it's so long no casual fan is going to stay interested, and now they're taking it on the cheek. I think the General Lee debacle is just another black eye in a long series of blunders over the last 5 years or so...

Last edited by juniorbean; 02-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^Yep. And with so many rules on the cars, the races almost seem staged.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Ultra Negro

yeah nascar used to be interesting to watch but it seems like they let whoever hometown advantage win sometimes.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
bringin lead

wait, you guys probably think boxing is rigged also, right?