NASCAR bans “General Lee” from Phoenix race

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
NASCAR bans “General Lee” from Phoenix race

The Dukes of Hazzard has been off the air since 1985, but the television show’s biggest star – a 1969 Dodge Charger known as the “General Lee” – has landed in the middle of an odd controversy between a professional golfer and NASCAR.

The controversy began when PGA Tour golf pro Bubba Watson purchased a version of the General Lee at auction for $110,000. Through a tie-up between the PGA and NASCAR, Watson was invited to drive the General Lee for a parade lap during the March 4 Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway, but NASCAR has decided it would be best if Watson’s car remained in his garage during the event.

The issue stems from the General Lee’s paint job. Anyone familiar with the TV show will remember the General Lee’s Confederate flag roof, which NASCAR says doesn’t fit with the sport’s core values.

“(The) Confederate flag is not something that should play an official role in our sport as we continue to reach out to new fans and make NASCAR more inclusive,” NASCAR spokesman David Higdon said in a statement.

However, Ben Jones, who played “Cooter” Davenport on The Dukes of Hazzard and went on to become a Georgia congressman, doesn’t necessarily agree with NASCAR’s decision to ban the General Lee. “During this Sesquicentennial of the Civil War, NASCAR has chosen to dishonor those Southerners who fought and died in that terrible conflict by caving to political correctness and the uninformed concerns of corporate sponsors,” Jones said in a statement.

Unlike Jones, Watson is keeping quiet on the whole subject, but the golf pro says he still plans to attend the Phoenix race.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/nascar-b...enix-race.html

Idiots. Stupid PC Police run amok.

Everyone knows what the General Lee with it's Confederate Flag on the roof is all about.

I think we all know that it's certainly not a:
KKK recruiting vehicle
A Pro slavery poster vehicle

If you are offended by a car from a very popular nostalgic old television show, then chances are you are going to find more things at a NASCAR event that are going to offend you than the General Lee.

NASCAR took the easy way out.

Ridiculous.
The following 2 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
mrsteve (02-23-2012), ttribe (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 5,933 Likes on 2,926 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Everyone knows what the General Lee with it's Confederate Flag on the roof is all about.

KKK recruiting vehicle

If you are offended by a car from a very popular nostalgic old television show, then chances are you are going to find more things at a NASCAR event that are going to offend you than the General Lee.

Ridiculous.
This.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Well usually when you see anything with a confederate flag on it chances are most of them are the bigots throwing out remarks about someones skin color or something degrading.

As for me personally would I want to see the General Lee at a Nascar race? No

But I really don't go to Nascar races.

Only time I would like to see a Confederate flag is in a History Channel special, I know a lot of people offended by the flag, does it offend me, not really, but why take that chance?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ You are one of the peeps who don't understand THE CAR.

It's not about the flag.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Ultra Negro

Yeah but everyone SEES the flag first, and its not like this is a tribute to dukes of hazzard, its a publicity stunt for a golfer that bought the car.

I have to side with NASCAR.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
Yeah but everyone SEES the flag first, and its not like this is a tribute to dukes of hazzard, its a publicity stunt for a golfer that bought the car.

I have to side with NASCAR.
Through a tie-up between the PGA and NASCAR, Watson was invited to drive the General Lee for a parade lap during the March 4 Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway,

It has nothing to do with the golfer, it's all about THE CAR.

Perhaps you know nothing of the General Lee.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Ultra Negro

Corps change their mind all the time at the last minute, and no I don't know anything about the General Lee, only thing I associate with the confederate flag is all the guys I had to see all the time when stationed at various southern military bases shouting the N word at me in my car, when bigotry stops then the car can go on the track. That's how I feel about the flag on the car :P

But we all know bigotry will never stop because this is America :P
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Do yourself a favor and get informed. I had a feeling you had no idea about the car.

It's knee jerk reactions like you have, that kills something nostalgic like the General Lee from being put on display.

The General Lee has nothing to do with bigotry.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Ultra Negro

Well you could be nice and post a link, or we can continue to butt heads in this internet conversation that actually has been really nice for once, until that one troll comes in and makes everything go to hell.

And as for most of the links I have clicked on, the design of the car was to embody the southern united states and a horse, that is about it. But honestly when you see a Confederate flag on a vehicle and not in a civil war enactment people tend to think its part of some group of people that make a whole lot of people look bad.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I agree that the flag on the General Lee isn't meant to create any ill will towards anyone.

But.............., I can't help but wonder how this has to do with being "politically correct". NASCAR continues to lose viewers and most likely advertising revenue as well. Watching one race of "motorized wrestling" makes it clear why. You can bet that NASCAR is going to try to attract any sort of new viewer with every avenue open to them. Even the media involvement with this particular incident can probably have a positive effect on viewership.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Ultra Negro

I always thought NASCAR was doing ok, when did they start doing bad?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Well you could be nice and post a link, or we can continue to butt heads in this internet conversation that actually has been really nice for once, until that one troll comes in and makes everything go to hell.

And as for most of the links I have clicked on, the design of the car was to embody the southern united states and a horse, that is about it. But honestly when you see a Confederate flag on a vehicle and not in a civil war enactment people tend to think its part of some group of people that make a whole lot of people look bad.
Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_Lee

It also helps if: 1) you know the premise of the TV show The Dukes of Hazzard; 2) you know the role "runnin' shine" played in creating NASCAR; and 3) you consider how the Confederate Flag was viewed by the majority of the U.S. when this show came out (hint: it was a negative connotation about racism).
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (02-22-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I always thought NASCAR was doing ok, when did they start doing bad?
I think it's been a few years now. I refuse to watch that circus or keep up with it, but I've read in various publications that viewership continues to drop. Don't hold me to this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that viewership has dropped about 25% since 2006 or 2007.

With numbers like that, you can bet NASCAR will do anything they can to either retain or draw new viewers.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
I think it's been a few years now. I refuse to watch that circus or keep up with it, but I've read in various publications that viewership continues to drop. Don't hold me to this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that viewership has dropped about 25% since 2006 or 2007.

With numbers like that, you can bet NASCAR will do anything they can to either retain or draw new viewers.
Yes, I read that same article (can't seem to find it now). Basically saying that teams are now having to go with more, smallers sponsors because the "big" sponsors are pulling out. I think it even was talking about (gulp) Chinese investors.

As for the article, NASCAR is a business and whatever is not good for the bottom line is not good for the business. Regardless of how one feels about the General Lee, the Confederate flag, or the Dukes of Hazzard for that matter, it appears that NASCAR understands that it is bad for business and that in itself speaks volumes, especially for a sport that has it's roots in the same South that defended that very flag.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Chinese Investors are smart. They would rather invest in Jeremy Lin than NASCAR
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me preface this by saying this will sound harsher than I intend, however I tried to soften it up without any luck:

Take responsibility for your own intellect and stop requiring others to spoon feed you what you need to know.

That said, ttribe hit the nail on the head - runnin shine was the genesis of NASCAR. But as OperationDarkie states, bigotry, even "reverse bigotry" (is that a term?) will always be around to some degree.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Instead of making an issue out of it, they should have worked quietly behind the scenes to have the roof vinyled orange. 99% of people wouldn't have known the difference and the Orange Charger with the "01" on the side would've been "The General Lee".

BUT NO ..... NASCAR has to publically make some assinine point of being "sensitive" to their sponsors instead.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Let me preface this by saying this will sound harsher than I intend, however I tried to soften it up without any luck:

Take responsibility for your own intellect and stop requiring others to spoon feed you what you need to know.

That said, ttribe hit the nail on the head - runnin shine was the genesis of NASCAR. But as OperationDarkie states, bigotry, even "reverse bigotry" (is that a term?) will always be around to some degree.
Did I ask to be spoon fed? NO, I made a simple request trying to get someone else's view on the matter thanks for trying to be nice but trolling it up

Want some Kool-Aid? I got 8 flavors at the moment to go with my troll bait.

I mean the way you said your sentence sounds like this. Hey no offense but fuck you, like that is going to soften anything else up.

Last edited by OperationDarkie; 02-22-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
This is atrocious. Absurd.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
[QUOTE=Moog-Type-S;13570765It's knee jerk reactions like you have, that kills something nostalgic like the General Lee from being put on display.

The General Lee has nothing to do with bigotry.[/QUOTE]

the dukes on tv helped anyone, black or white. They were southern hospitality on tv and the flag never was portrayed in a negative light. It's a frakin car.

Growing up watching nascar and going to races and seeing the flag, it never once said racism to me, it was southern pride.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,780 Likes on 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

KKK recruiting vehicle

Ridiculous.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Have to disagree 100%. As someone who watched the show as a kid, had models, toys, etc... and still wishes to own one (replica is fine), the LAST thing I see is the flag. The first thing I think of or see is the 01 in blue on that bright orange body. Flag is pretty much invisible to me. It's no different then the STP logo from Richard Petty's #43 IMO. I think ttribe really hit the nail on the head regarding the car.

As for everything else, not much to add. I read this a few days ago and thought it was pretty sad. For NASCAR to pull the plug on this, but still let thousands of RV's and Campers into the infield with Confederate Flags flying (most of which are visible during telecasts) really shows they have lost their grip on the sport as well as its history...

Last edited by juniorbean; 02-22-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
As a small child I went everywhere with my Matchbox General Lee.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,333 Posts
I am not a NASCAR fan, I am not a Southerner and I liked Dukes of Hazzard. (it helps I was a kid when it was on) I always liked the General Lee and got that the Dukes were proud Southerners.

I don't get why the flag is the big deal it is. I agree it has a negative connotation but on the car it is different.

That said, the guy that played Warrick on CSI had a current charger grafted into a 69 Charger and had the flag put on.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM
bringin lead

Did I ask to be spoon fed? NO, I made a simple request trying to get someone else's view on the matter thanks for trying to be nice but trolling it up

I mean the way you said your sentence sounds like this. Hey no offense but fuck you, like that is going to soften anything else up.

Moog suggested you get informed - you asked for a link to do so. I trolled because I suggested you take responsibility for your own intelligence? Suppose your mother was an asshole when she suggested you wean yourself from the teet also.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

OK you two... you've said your pieces... let's leave it at that and continue on topic...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
bringin lead

This is all I see when thinking of the General Lee:

Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ttribe
Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_Lee

It also helps if: 1) you know the premise of the TV show The Dukes of Hazzard; 2) you know the role "runnin' shine" played in creating NASCAR; and 3) you consider how the Confederate Flag was viewed by the majority of the U.S. when this show came out (hint: it was a negative connotation about racism).
That last sentence in the parenthesis should have read "(hint: it was NOT a negative connotation about racism)" That changes things a smidge.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,956 Likes on 2,639 Posts
Well usually when you see anything with a confederate flag on it chances are most of them are the bigots throwing out remarks about someones skin color or something degrading.

As for me personally would I want to see the General Lee at a Nascar race? No

But I really don't go to Nascar races.

Only time I would like to see a Confederate flag is in a History Channel special, I know a lot of people offended by the flag, does it offend me, not really, but why take that chance?

Well, where to begin...

You got a guy named "OperationDarkie" spouting off about bigotry...Claims he didn't ask to spoon fed, but clearly asked for a link...And he has about 8 flavors of kool-aid but I think that means you're liven large, cause thats got to be better than just having grape drink right?...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,780 Likes on 2,551 Posts
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
As a small child I went everywhere with my Matchbox General Lee.
This. I can't even count the number of those things I had as a kid.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Saw this the other day...total BS. The Dukes were cool, the General Lee was cool, end of story.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Ultra Negro

Well honestly you haven't had the black experience of growing with people proudly showing the confederate flag calling you a name you did not ask for, thinking you are less than human, and beating you up for no apparent reason.

Confederate flag stands for bigotry and you are fool to not think that, ask some older black people how they feel about the Confederate flag, chances are they will say they don't like which is why I am sure NASCAR took that route to avoid anything being related to something that would give them a negative view in the black community.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Moog suggested you get informed - you asked for a link to do so. I trolled because I suggested you take responsibility for your own intelligence? Suppose your mother was an asshole when she suggested you wean yourself from the teet also.
Thanks for supposing my mother was an asshole, real couth there.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Well, where to begin...

You got a guy named "OperationDarkie" spouting off about bigotry...Claims he didn't ask to spoon fed, but clearly asked for a link...And he has about 8 flavors of kool-aid but I think that means you're liven large, cause thats got to be better than just having grape drink right?...
Well at least I asked right, better than most internet forum peoples manners :P
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM
The Third Ball

Well honestly you haven't had the black experience of growing with people proudly showing the confederate flag calling you a name you did not ask for, thinking you are less than human, and beating you up for no apparent reason.

Confederate flag stands for bigotry and you are fool to not think that, ask some older black people how they feel about the Confederate flag, chances are they will say they don't like which is why I am sure NASCAR took that route to avoid anything being related to something that would give them a negative view in the black community.
No one said otherwise. I've spent a lot of time in the south and in odd parts of the south. I lived in an area of the south where there was one black kid and one jew...and I was the jew. At 13, I kicked people I thought were friends out of my home for calling black people N*ggers.

Despite all that...The General Lee is not about the flag on its roof, never has been, and anyone with half a brain knows it.

Its just Nascar making headlines to make numbers.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM
The Third Ball

Well at least I asked right, better than most internet forum peoples manners :P
Yeah, you were nice about it
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Despite all that...The General Lee is not about the flag on its roof, never has been, and anyone with half a brain knows it.

Its just Nascar making headlines to make numbers.

Oh noes, better keep the General Lee out b/c of the flag on the roof.

[Superfriends Announcer's Voice] Meanwhile, on the infield of the track... [/Superfriends Announcer's Voice]

On The Run (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

This is naive, short sided thinking.

I'm guessing all those history buffs that do Civil War Battle Re-enactments, who are on the side of the Confederates, are a bunch of racist bigots too, right?

You can't be serious.

Last edited by Moog-Type-S; 02-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.
juniorbean (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM
bringin lead

Shouldn't we also protest Winn-Dixie (grocery store)?

And you can't tell me you wouldn't slam this piece of ass.....

Quick Reply: NASCAR bans “General Lee” from Phoenix race