Mystery Meat's K5

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:50 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Thanks!!!

I LOVE the way the car looks... But, I just spent $900 for tires and a tpms sensor...

Anyway, the 2.4 is sometimes annoying, and I hate how the steering wiggles if you shake the wheel while rolling... Also, the suspension feels unsettled on an interstate cloverleaf... I have a heavy foot at times and I'm starting to fear I'll blow her up one day, she hates to rev...

IDK why, but my feelings are changing again and I hate it...
Your car has 169K miles on it, unless recent suspension work was done I don't think it's strange for you to feel some play in the steering. Have the suspension checked and maybe all you need for now is a swap from rubber to poly bushings.. If you're lucky..

With all those miles of course it hates to rev LOL.. If you're constantly putting your foot into it it may eventually catch up with you, try to baby it a little and you may extend it's life...
Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
Your car has 169K miles on it, unless recent suspension work was done I don't think it's strange for you to feel some play in the steering. Have the suspension checked and maybe all you need for now is a swap from rubber to poly bushings.. If you're lucky..

With all those miles of course it hates to rev LOL.. If you're constantly putting your foot into it it may eventually catch up with you, try to baby it a little and you may extend it's life...

I had the steering coupler replaced and clock spring... It's tight, just vauge from the EPS, 2014+ are supposed to be much better...

I'm the kind of person who believes that babying a car really doesn't make much of a difference...

I floored the snot out of my old Sportage... This car has gotten from 0-60 a second or second and a half faster than all car reports came in at when it was new...

It's LOADED to the roof which isn't helping...

I like to let it shift at around 2.5-3.5K rpm in normal boulevard traffic...

It is really a great car... It's just that I came from a 2008 TL, and have a 2007 RDX, and it's really nice to pass someone at 75mph without breaking 4K rpm!!!

I originally wanted a TSX last year but hell no now, I need atleast 250+hp for me!!!

Also, I absolutely love the Kia/Hyundai brand, just have some issues with this model... I'm sure if it were an SX, I wouldn't be saying anything like this...

We drove a 2011 Sorento SX V6 this past March and loved it!!! Sadly, it was 6K over budget... It had HPS and the tourqey Lambda 3.5 V6, which is a smoother engine, more like a Honda...

At low RPMs, it will take off like an older 3.0 V6 Toyota or Lexus, but after about 30-40 mph, if that much, power is dead, but I may feel different after emptying the car when I finally get an apartment...

I love the car, but there's just something missing...

Heard a strut bar will tighten up the steering, according to the Optima Forums...

It is burning about 1 quart per 1200 miles, and my RDX is doing that too...

I really need help with the RDX, I think vtec quit working, I noticed it last night...

Has oil on the dipstick, but it's just smeared up the side, not really readable... A few weeks ago, it was bone dry and giving an oil light, added 2 quarts, and when I had it changed last week, thry sait it was 1 quart low... Seems ok for now, but will check it weekly...

Dealer said it leaks a little too...

Power seems normal, minus the vtec...

232,300 miles and damn proud of it!!!!
Old 11-01-2018, 06:29 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Got it, so more about the particular model you have and not the miles.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by JT4
Got it, so more about the particular model you have and not the miles.

No, man... It's just that I can't accept that my new, 7 year old car, is already over the hill... I know 169K is more than most people would give a second look at...

Just trying to keep her muscles tight!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Null and proud of it

No, man... It's just that I can't accept that my new, 7 year old car, is already over the hill... I know 169K is more than most people would give a second look at...

Just trying to keep her muscles tight!!!

Staring to think I made a mistake... Need more old...
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Null and proud of it

Old 11-26-2018, 01:26 AM
Null and proud of it

White Knuckle Experience

BAD IDEA- DON'T drive this car on the interstate in high wind... It's like driving 70mph on ice... EPS sucks... The RDX is perfect and this car is just garbage in terms of handling... I'm kinda upset right now because y'all are probably thinking, WTF, MM! But im beginning to realize that this car is misrepresented as a sporty-ish car... Maybe with suspension upgrades, but stock, it's like a Camry SE... A little firm, but still a boat, not a yatch, but a small boat...

Sorry, guys....

Can't do anything about it right now, but, by the way I feel, it won't be here in 6 months... Im just pissed right now...
Old 11-26-2018, 01:32 AM
Null and proud of it

Not to mention people flying by me at 80+ mph, and I'm going 65 mph and being pushed into the next lane, combating this with steering correctins causing moderate body roll at high speeds... No precision in the steering whatsoever, feels like driving stright on ice and snow, you know, when you feel wobbly and like any sudden movements, voluntary or involuntary, will be catastrophic... I've driven in wind before, but have NEVER felt this.... Thank god for not much traffic...

15-30 mph gust from NW... Was traveling westbound on I10...
Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
BAD IDEA- DON'T drive this car on the interstate in high wind... It's like driving 70mph on ice... EPS sucks... The RDX is perfect and this car is just garbage in terms of handling... I'm kinda upset right now because y'all are probably thinking, WTF, MM! But im beginning to realize that this car is misrepresented as a sporty-ish car... Maybe with suspension upgrades, but stock, it's like a Camry SE... A little firm, but still a boat, not a yatch, but a small boat...

Sorry, guys....

Can't do anything about it right now, but, by the way I feel, it won't be here in 6 months... Im just pissed right now...
Lol come on MM, it's a family sedan! Not to mention this isn't the SX with the sport tuned suspension! You should sell it and look at some older mazda 6's! Those handle pretty decent.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:59 AM
Null and proud of it

Thanks... I feel better now... That just scared me a bit... I can't seem to find a sedan that compares closely to the RDX...

Resale and trade value is an absalute joke on the Optima... I did nearly even trades to get from Camry to TL to Optima, losing residual value eash time... I now have only 40% the monetary value I started with... That being said, I've wanted a 2007 Accord V6 since I first loooked into one in July 2015... And no matter what I drive, get, look at, I always think about the Accord...

I found a beautiful 2007 AV6 Navi in Moroccan Red Pearl... Not so much as a scratch on it... Maybe 4 tiny rock chips on the front bumper, and one small tear on the side of the bolster on the drivers seat... The wheels don't have a scratch on them, I was mesmerized....

Perfect car....

Hydraulic Steering
Double Wishbone Suspenion

^^^ Makes for a tossable car!!!

BUT,

I've got a few thousand saved for an apartment, and I'm still job hunting... I'm living in an unfamiliar city, and despite everything, I'm forcing myself to work kt out, but everything feels so out of place... This is causing me to kinda panic when I should take action... I'm getting cold feet... I need to survive, but this isn't really what I want, and my past is beginning to haunt me...

So, how can I justify car shopping... I guess because it brings me great joy... It helps me cope... But now I fell in love with a car I can't afford...

Back to the Mazda... I looked at 2007 6 V6's and they seem to be scetchy in reliability... They're nice cars, but the Accord is more like an Acura, wheras the Mazda is like a Ford or Nissan... I love the 2014's, but the laxk of V6 kills it for me...

A 6 wagon would be nice, but they're rare...

Thanks...

Seen any good XC90's as of late?
Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks... I feel better now... That just scared me a bit... I can't seem to find a sedan that compares closely to the RDX...

Resale and trade value is an absalute joke on the Optima... I did nearly even trades to get from Camry to TL to Optima, losing residual value eash time... I now have only 40% the monetary value I started with... That being said, I've wanted a 2007 Accord V6 since I first loooked into one in July 2015... And no matter what I drive, get, look at, I always think about the Accord...

I found a beautiful 2007 AV6 Navi in Moroccan Red Pearl... Not so much as a scratch on it... Maybe 4 tiny rock chips on the front bumper, and one small tear on the side of the bolster on the drivers seat... The wheels don't have a scratch on them, I was mesmerized....

Perfect car....

Hydraulic Steering
Double Wishbone Suspenion

^^^ Makes for a tossable car!!!

BUT,

I've got a few thousand saved for an apartment, and I'm still job hunting... I'm living in an unfamiliar city, and despite everything, I'm forcing myself to work kt out, but everything feels so out of place... This is causing me to kinda panic when I should take action... I'm getting cold feet... I need to survive, but this isn't really what I want, and my past is beginning to haunt me...

So, how can I justify car shopping... I guess because it brings me great joy... It helps me cope... But now I fell in love with a car I can't afford...

Back to the Mazda... I looked at 2007 6 V6's and they seem to be scetchy in reliability... They're nice cars, but the Accord is more like an Acura, wheras the Mazda is like a Ford or Nissan... I love the 2014's, but the laxk of V6 kills it for me...

A 6 wagon would be nice, but they're rare...

Thanks...

Seen any good XC90's as of late?
In your situation I wouldn't even consider looking at cars, it's just a car at the end of the day meant to get you from point A to point B. As long as it's working and drives, then don't think about it. I meant in a few months to a year once you're settled down. Not now!

Also just keep pushing and don't panic, think of it as a positive thing. You get to start your life somewhere new and you're in charge of your destiny in a sense. I often wish I could get up and leave and go where I want. I'm hoping to get married in the next couple of years here and moving to the west coast, and yes it's scary as hell but nothing good comes without sacrifices right.

Nope sadly V8 XC90's are rare and V8 sport or r-design XC90's are EXTREMELY rare. Tons of 3.2 r-designs but no V8's or at least none with low mileage. Personally I'm starting to consider maybe not going euro, I need something to be reliable throughout my uni and being in another city I can't afford (literally and figuratively) to be having an unreliable vehicle. So it really would be stupid of me. I have a very good indy euro mechanic here, but I know none where I'm going so I don't want that hassle and headache. My other options are things like the pilot, highlander, santa fe, edge....etc and I'd rather go with those options.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Never had any trouble with wind on the highway, apart from the beginnings of Hurricane Ike in my Infiniti J30, and that was only mildly pushing the car around.
I've had gusts hit the car & give a little shove, but never anything like 'driving on ice' due to wind on a dry road.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 PM
Null and proud of it

It did fine today... The only time it felt unstable was when passing a tractor trailer, and when going over a steel grate drawbridge... But, that wind had to be one of the worst experiences I've ever had...

I keep rethinking everything... I keep thinking that this is where I belong, then, sonething else calls my name....

I'm currently on the Gulf Coast, and looking to settle here, however, I spent so much time in southwest/central part of the state, I keep thinking, well, maybe I should go to the Jackson area... I'm much more familiar with it, and people are nicer, but the crime is high, roads are bad, and overall, it's kinda blah, like Atlanta or Memphis.... Somtimes I want it, sometimes I don't...

It seems getting a Volvo may be a butt-kick with reliability... IDK much avout them, and haven't heard too much bad, but, it's still Euro and that can becone dicey over time...

I know you hate it when I say this, but, I like a hood Odyessey... I know you don't, haha... It would make a great daily, but, I couldn't have that as my only mode of transportation...

What's got me upset is that I feel every attempt I make to better myself, I'm pushing myself away from what I really want more, and don't find out until later on weather I was happier with what I had, or what I traded in for...

Trying to stay positive, but knowing every move I make I may come to regret is making me feel almost blocked off in a way... Making a job hunt difficult...

I'm burning out when I can't afford to and I hate it...

I'm Running Blind...

But, it'll be alright... Living on the coast is supposed to be a combination of my LA and MS life, like in cultural influence, architecture and such... Which it is... It's also very loney and pretty big, but still not huge, and being alone means I drive a lot for peace and relaxation...

If I could get paid to burn a tank of gas a day, I'd be set!!!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 11-26-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: N
Old 11-27-2018, 12:55 AM
Suzuka Master

It did fine today... The only time it felt unstable was when passing a tractor trailer, and when going over a steel grate drawbridge... But, that wind had to be one of the worst experiences I've ever had...

I keep rethinking everything... I keep thinking that this is where I belong, then, sonething else calls my name....

I'm currently on the Gulf Coast, and looking to settle here, however, I spent so much time in southwest/central part of the state, I keep thinking, well, maybe I should go to the Jackson area... I'm much more familiar with it, and people are nicer, but the crime is high, roads are bad, and overall, it's kinda blah, like Atlanta or Memphis.... Somtimes I want it, sometimes I don't...

It seems getting a Volvo may be a butt-kick with reliability... IDK much avout them, and haven't heard too much bad, but, it's still Euro and that can becone dicey over time...

I know you hate it when I say this, but, I like a hood Odyessey... I know you don't, haha... It would make a great daily, but, I couldn't have that as my only mode of transportation...

What's got me upset is that I feel every attempt I make to better myself, I'm pushing myself away from what I really want more, and don't find out until later on weather I was happier with what I had, or what I traded in for...

Trying to stay positive, but knowing every move I make I may come to regret is making me feel almost blocked off in a way... Making a job hunt difficult...

I'm burning out when I can't afford to and I hate it...

I'm Running Blind...

But, it'll be alright... Living on the coast is supposed to be a combination of my LA and MS life, like in cultural influence, architecture and such... Which it is... It's also very loney and pretty big, but still not huge, and being alone means I drive a lot for peace and relaxation...

If I could get paid to burn a tank of gas a day, I'd be set!!!
Life is not this easy roadmap that is laid out in steps, life is a series of choices that you make and hope work out. There will always be setbacks but what is important is that you keep on moving. I'm personally an extremely calculated person. I like to have options A to Z and 2-3 methods for each one.

But even with being that type of person I have learned within the past year to simply float. I say float because life is like a fast moving river, you can keep struggling against the current or you can float and let it take you. Sometimes you have to make mistakes in order to get it right and yes sometimes it feels like life is just unrelenting, like you're struggling to keep your head above water in that river of life (believe me my life has not been fun or easy the past 6 years now) but like I said you just keep on trying. You can sit there 10-20 years from now wondering "what if" or you can sit there 10-20 years from now saying "thankfully I tried this and that". The choice is yours.

As for the XC90, it's a mostly solid car. It was the same design and electronics for like 14 years. The V8 models have a japanese built engine and a Toyota transaxle. It's fairly solid. Save for one huge issue, that is that the transaxle is rated at 325lb/ft max and the V8 engine literally makes that much torque. So I don't have faith in it. Lol don't start me, I wouldn't drive a odyssey if it was the last car on earth. I'm starting to consider getting a 2G MDX again, but a tech package not Elite this time. We'll see what happens with school!
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 01:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I wouldn’t mess with a Mz6. I had an 08 buddy had an 07. Reliability sucks ass. I had two transmissions replaced on my 08 he had 1 on his 07.

those incidents has steered me away from Mazda, although, I like the CX-5 just to haul the kids around when I don’t want to take the Ody. I know they are better now, but, I still get that ummm feeling.

My my next car I’m all over the place, I wouldn’t mind a CUV to haul the kids in, part of me wants a scat pack, the other wants a 340 or a AMG. Part of me wants a truck. If I was rich, I’d have them all.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I wouldn’t mess with a Mz6. I had an 08 buddy had an 07. Reliability sucks ass. I had two transmissions replaced on my 08 he had 1 on his 07.

those incidents has steered me away from Mazda, although, I like the CX-5 just to haul the kids around when I don’t want to take the Ody. I know they are better now, but, I still get that ummm feeling.

My my next car I’m all over the place, I wouldn’t mind a CUV to haul the kids in, part of me wants a scat pack, the other wants a 340 or a AMG. Part of me wants a truck. If I was rich, I’d have them all.
Honestly when I suggested it, I had no knowledge about reliability so if that is the case, then definitely it's not a good idea.

You shouldn't look at Mazda today as Mazda of that era. Ford really did a number on the company but today they have all new engines, transmissions, platforms....just everything is strictly mazda. I'd personally consider it.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 AM
Null and proud of it

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...g-c2098_L18632

Damnit! If I could I'd buy this without even sitting in it...

I went after hours last week, and it was absolutely perfect... By far, the cleanest 7gen I have ever seen!

Before I joined AZ, I was hunting these down... Even drove 3 of them, well, 4, one was in a gracel parking lot, right before I got the TL.

I also drove a 2007 Mercury Milan.... Basically a Ford Fusion... I loved the steering and it was very comfortable, but it couldn't compete with the Accord... In fact, I'd go as far as to say 6g6gen and 7gen Accord EX-L V6 models are amost equil to a TL in overall niceness... Albiet, a bit dufferent...

I could hook and light up the tires on that TL, rev it, it would be at 6k rpm in a millisecond, it was awesome!

Problem was, it's a TL... Electrical errors, horrible turn radius, very low for a stock suspension, dash craking, pressure switches, engine tap from lack of attention by previous owner... Not to mention that I scratched the hell out of the right rear quater twice because I couldn't see...

It it was in better shape with nav I would've kept it...

But, I always wanted an Accord... It doesnt take much to get them looking very hot!!! I wouldn't even want to swap the wheels, Honda really nailed it with this car....
Old 11-27-2018, 02:05 AM
Null and proud of it

I almost want to go drive it, and put a hold deposit while I sell my Optima for top dollar privately, then, not loose anything over $1k tops...

Dreaming, I just can't right now...

But, will I ever find another?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:17 AM
Suzuka Master

I almost want to go drive it, and put a hold deposit while I sell my Optima for top dollar privately, then, not loose anything over $1k tops...

Dreaming, I just can't right now...

But, will I ever find another?
They've sold hundreds of thousands, you definitely will find another lmao.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:08 AM
Null and proud of it

Ok. So, I haven't posted on the car in a bit... That's because it's been doing fine... Last tank, I averaged about 26 mpg, so, not bad... So far, this tank has been different... In the course of just over what I assume was about 35 miles, it burned nearly the top 1/4 of it's tank... Computer says 22 -24 mpg, but after caclulating down for the 8.5 - 10% overstatement, it cones down to like, 20 - 21.5 mpg 60% city 40% highway...

(Bad photo and it seems a little lower than it looks here)

I topped off too, usually get an extra 30-60 miles before it's below full, but not this time... Mayve 15 miles, then it was judt off of full last night...

When I first got the car, it wouldn't even go up to full... Hahaha!!! Learned to top it off... It really is a bit misrepresented...

Supposed to be 24 city 35 highway... I know that's never acurate, but it's getting like 18 city 28 highway... My TL got 33 highway...

The RDX rated at like 17 city 23 highway will easilly get 28 or 29 highway...

It's just funny, that's all...

Oh, and I'm grannying it to... Never turned off ECO mode, never hit more than 3K rpm... I also drive at or under the speed limit...

At 71 mph, in final drive, RPM's are at 2100k and instant MPG is reading about dead on 26, where the road is flat... Go figure!!!

IMO, 4 bagers just aren't worth it unless they're really well engineered!!!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 12-09-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Forgot photo...
Old 12-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Check your tire pressure.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Null and proud of it

OK, so I did the math, and holy fuck!

215 miles driven
68% of tank burned
Started with 19.01 gallons

Mixed 50/50 driving.

Driving conservatively, seldomly exceeding 2.5K rpm, using ECO mode, maybe 5 wot runs onto interstate... But, driving very conservatively, IMO!

This equates to 16.64 MPG!

The car is rated at 24/35

This is about worse than my TL!

Now I get why Kia/Hyundai had a class action suit on this engine!

Funniest part is that car says I get like 24 MPG (still a little low), and I can drive 16 miles and only lose 7 off of the range... The computer is designed to lie so bad.

Now I know why they dropped from 200 HP to 192 HP to 185 HP, they had to to stay relevant... The car is very reliable, but damn, this sucks...
Old 12-12-2018, 06:30 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
If it makes you feel better, my wife's Optima does pretty well on LONG highway drive. I'm talking about a 3+ hour drive. Mixed driving, it's no where near where they claim the car to be. A lot of that also goes out the window when you start modifying the car. There are things in theory that helped and other things like the CAI that may have made the mpg worse. I've been successful on beating "Claimed MPG" even on my completely stock ML350 I can nail 23-25 MPG on the highway almost every single time.. While they claim it's only going to get 20-21 on the highway. A lot of it is how you maintain the vehicle and huge deal breaker is using cruise control. Just so you are aware, these are GDI engines. They are direct injection. They are notorious for carbon build-up. I've done the carbon cleaning service twice so far (done by the dealership) and the car currently has 56K. You may want to look into that.. The dealership charges around 200-250 for the service but it's a lengthy process. I would also wait til your oil is due. You can get a fresh oil change after the service and I would replace those spark plugs also, all after the service.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,136 Likes on 4,805 Posts
lol at googling the calculator

x2 on what Aman said - check your tire pressures. I don't know how many miles you have, but check the air filter and spark plugs too.

And keep in mind - most localities have switched over to winter blend, so you're bound to get worse gas mileage during this time of year.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Also, rather than estimating based on the fuel gauge. Reset Trip A, fill tank, drive, fill tank & do an actual miles/gal filled calculation.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
If it makes you feel better, my wife's Optima does pretty well on LONG highway drive. I'm talking about a 3+ hour drive. Mixed driving, it's no where near where they claim the car to be. A lot of that also goes out the window when you start modifying the car. There are things in theory that helped and other things like the CAI that may have made the mpg worse. I've been successful on beating "Claimed MPG" even on my completely stock ML350 I can nail 23-25 MPG on the highway almost every single time.. While they claim it's only going to get 20-21 on the highway. A lot of it is how you maintain the vehicle and huge deal breaker is using cruise control. Just so you are aware, these are GDI engines. They are direct injection. They are notorious for carbon build-up. I've done the carbon cleaning service twice so far (done by the dealership) and the car currently has 56K. You may want to look into that.. The dealership charges around 200-250 for the service but it's a lengthy process. I would also wait til your oil is due. You can get a fresh oil change after the service and I would replace those spark plugs also, all after the service.

Funny thing is that our 2007 Kia Sportage did excellently with an SRI! It got 2-3 MPG better and it was much quicker, IMO!!!

I had the engine test done a few months ago and it passed... It has it's full amount of power, I can really out-perform expected acceleration times...

I have noticed it's always low on oil, not leaking... It seems to lose about a quart every 1200 miles... But it's irregular!

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
lol at googling the calculator

x2 on what Aman said - check your tire pressures. I don't know how many miles you have, but check the air filter and spark plugs too.

And keep in mind - most localities have switched over to winter blend, so you're bound to get worse gas mileage during this time of year.
It was just easier......

Air filter appears new, IDK about plugs, but they had to be removed for an engine test a few months ago and no one ever told me anything...

I need to check tire pressure, they seem OK... They're brand new with about 5000 miles on them...

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Also, rather than estimating based on the fuel gauge. Reset Trip A, fill tank, drive, fill tank & do an actual miles/gal filled calculation.

I need to... I was just going off of memory of when I got fuel and how far I want after... I memorized the odometer numbers...
Old 12-14-2018, 01:00 AM
Null and proud of it

Ok, so I did the math and my Optima averaged 20.59 over this past tank. 50/50 city/highway.

Hmmm, the RDX usually shows an avereage of about 22.2 on the MMC, so, other than high speeds, or heavy city, it's about the same.

I mean, I'm a little suprised it wasn't 16-18 like it was coming to the other day, but I can really prove this one.

278 miles, and used about 13 of 19 galons, I have exact numbers on a receipt and on another phone.

Ok, this is about exactly what my TL got, maybe a tad better city, and much, much lower on the highway.

In everyone's opinion, was my quest for better mpg at the cost of power a misstep?

I want to be back in the Acura family, I'd like an Accord, but it would need some mods, but I can drive a stock Acura happily, after all, I need to do all of the maintenance first.

I'm starting to think of looking at a 2006-08 TSX navi, or maybe another TL, but I had my gripes about the TL, and I originally wanted a TSX but couldn't find one.

I'll be working on actually shopping later on, in like 6 months, but right now, what does everyone think, good idea?

One thing I'd like to add. When I had my TL, I hated it (mainly because of where I was living) but I still enjoyed driving it, with the Optima it's the other way around, it's easy to park and get in and out of, but I dislike driving it, am I nuts?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM

Damn. That's worse then the R around town
Old 12-14-2018, 09:17 AM

I'd be more concerned with steady employment before worrying about changing up the car situation.
20MPG does seem low, though. a 2.4 I4 Optima would do better than that, I'd think.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Null and proud of it

Drove 86 miles today.

Approximately 50/50 city/highway.

Started out with approximately 53% of fuel in tank -~ used about 23% of tank (4.3 gal.)

86 ÷ 4.3 = 20

20 MPG!

On the bright side, premium (93 octane) is only $2.36 at a local gas station..... Too bad I run regular....

Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 AM

With the N/A 2.4, there's pretty much no benefit to running 93 in your car, side from separating you from more of your $$$.
Keep burning the 87 & keep up with the maintenance.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Null and proud of it

I run regular in the Optima... Just saying how cheap premium is getting...

Down here, it's usually +50-80 cents more than regular...

It's hard to find under $2.75-$3.00 a gallon...
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Gotcha.
$2.529 for 93 this morning. 87 was $1.839

Been a long time since I remember gas prices this low.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:23 AM

I filled up the other day for $2.35/gallon for 93. There's a bunch of stations near me in the $1.90 range for 87.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I filled up the other day for $2.35/gallon for 93. There's a bunch of stations near me in the $1.90 range for 87.

Here the difference migh be $1.88 vs. $2.48.

Sonetimes, it can be $2.25 vs $2.95, it usually ends up being about $10 more for 93 per tank.

Optima cost $37 to fill and the RDX is almost $50.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so I did the math and my Optima averaged 20.59 over this past tank. 50/50 city/highway.

Hmmm, the RDX usually shows an avereage of about 22.2 on the MMC, so, other than high speeds, or heavy city, it's about the same.

I mean, I'm a little suprised it wasn't 16-18 like it was coming to the other day, but I can really prove this one.

278 miles, and used about 13 of 19 galons, I have exact numbers on a receipt and on another phone.

Ok, this is about exactly what my TL got, maybe a tad better city, and much, much lower on the highway.

In everyone's opinion, was my quest for better mpg at the cost of power a misstep?

I want to be back in the Acura family, I'd like an Accord, but it would need some mods, but I can drive a stock Acura happily, after all, I need to do all of the maintenance first.

I'm starting to think of looking at a 2006-08 TSX navi, or maybe another TL, but I had my gripes about the TL, and I originally wanted a TSX but couldn't find one.

I'll be working on actually shopping later on, in like 6 months, but right now, what does everyone think, good idea?

One thing I'd like to add. When I had my TL, I hated it (mainly because of where I was living) but I still enjoyed driving it, with the Optima it's the other way around, it's easy to park and get in and out of, but I dislike driving it, am I nuts?
I have both a 2006 TSX and 2008 TL. I think the TSX will frustrate you equally as much. Fuel economy isn't that much better than a TL, it still requires premium and is extremely sluggish. If you're looking for just comfort and reliability though then you can't go wrong with a TSX.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
After 2 long months and a tag, here I am! @rockstar143
Old 12-19-2018, 07:58 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Alex27
I have both a 2006 TSX and 2008 TL. I think the TSX will frustrate you equally as much. Fuel economy isn't that much better than a TL, it still requires premium and is extremely sluggish. If you're looking for just comfort and reliability though then you can't go wrong with a TSX.
It seems the TSX would be like a 1/2 way between the TL and my Optima. Really, I think F/E is the almost the same in both.

My Optima has 200hp so it actually has 5hp less than the TSX. It has a lot of low end torque, but feels grainy and rough up high. And no vtec.

I like the small footprint of the TSX, no matter how high I pushed the seat in my TL I couldn't see over the gauge cluster. I'd have to lean forward to see right in front of me.

I drove a TSX for 2 mins. right before I bought my TL, I also drove an Accord, all cars were 2006's, the TL may have been an 04, though... I drove them in a parking lot.

I actually liked the TSX most because of it's narrowness and excellent visibility. The breaks in the Accord were WAY too soft, but that car was beaten beyond shit... Worse than anything I've ever been in before... It looked like a dog chewed up the stitching everywhere, lol...

I ended up with the TL for two reasons, it looked cooler and I found a nice TL close to where I lived...

My concerns with getting another TL.

Trim damage
Dash cracks
Bluetooth failure (I use BT)
Higher maintenance
Pattern failures
Feels like a boat at lower speeds.

From my research, it appears TSX's have much fewer problems, no trim problems, like dash cracks or door panel trim coming loose.

It also appears they have fewer electrical problems.

I also didn't like the heavy doors, low entery/exit height of the TL. Rear cup holders sucked. AT wasn't responsive to downshift under part throttle.
I didn't care for the switchblade key either.

How much MPG different would you say a TSX is? Well, how much better than my 2007 RDX would it be, since I still have that.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Mystery...
what in tarnation are you trying to figure out here?
Put gas in your car and drive it...you'll drive yourself nuts with all these details.

Also, meant to chime in as someone that went all hand zaino originally to try and compound/polish...
fuck that shit and I'm not a lazy fuck either. Fuck that shit. At the very least buy a porter cable 7424...two orange pads for the megs 110, two white pads for the megs 210, and one red pad to apply some wolfgang deep gloss sealant.
That's IT...
Your car will look hot fyah when done without all the craziness of OCD detailing all the time.

I recently tried orange pad with klasse all in one and for a one step, it works well too...
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (12-20-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That looks awesome! HP?

Quick Reply: Mystery Meat's K5