My CL was hit two weeks ago and now the guy is denying it

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My CL was hit two weeks ago and now the guy is denying it

So two weeks ago my fiance, my mom and I head off to DE on vacation. We are sitting in stop and go traffic on route 1 south. My car is completely stopped and then bang im hit from behind. All three of us get out and inspect the damage. I walk back and tell the guy I want his info. He hops out and gives me all his paperwork and I copy all the stuff down. Whiles this is going on my fiance is taking pictures of everything, and im glad she did. We decide we are done and head on our way. I call my insurance co on the way and report the accident.

When I get back I called his insurance company (AIG) and they stated he has already reported it to them. They say the next step is to have an adjuster come out and inspect the vehicle. They guy came out a week later and gave an estimate of ~$500. I get a call today from AIG and they say they have the estimate but at this time they insured person is denying being in an accident with me . So I ask a few questions 1) why do I have pictures of him and his info? 2) Why did he call and report it?
The lady wants me to email her the pictures to use as part of their investigation. Hopefully justice will prevail

Cliffs
Got rear ended on vacation
took pics and got all the guys info
guy is now denying hitting me
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Sue him for everything.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Let your insurance take care of all of this.

Why are you getting involved with the other guy's insurance company?

This is the job of your insurance company. Let your insurance company deal with his insurance company.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
^^^^

Next time get a police report. I don't trust people any more.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
This guy is a comedian....Should be a no brainer for you...
Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

happy 4,106
Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

This is the job of your insurance company. Let your insurance company deal with his insurance company.
My insurance company won't touch it. The only way they will get involved is if I have it fixed and they they will fight the other company and try and get refunded. She said at this route it could take months.

I don't really have the ability to put out money for the repairs and rental car and wait months for that money to possibly return

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs

Next time get a police report. I don't trust people any more.
Police won't come out unless someone is hurt
Old 09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by spdy0001
Police won't come out unless someone is hurt
Is that just where you were, because when I was rear-ended I called the cops and they came out even though no one was hurt. I have been in 2 car accidents where I called the cops and both times no one was hurt.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I wish I had called the Police when I was rear-ended. It cost me $500 and my insurance company a lot more.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I wish I had called the Police when I was rear-ended. It cost me $500 and my insurance company a lot more.
That was 4 years ago and I just got my deductable back in the mail last month. It cost me and the insurance company over $10K between repairs and my sister's medical bills. She had back pains after the accident. I'm 100% sure that the guy that hit me would have bolted if we didn't call the cops. After he hit me, he refused to leave his car and he backed up to get around me. I wrote his plate number down and then his VIN down and told him if he left he is TOAST.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Is that just where you were, because when I was rear-ended I called the cops and they came out even though no one was hurt. I have been in 2 car accidents where I called the cops and both times no one was hurt.
Didn't attempt to call this time because of previous experience when they wouldn't come out.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Didn't attempt to call this time because of previous experience when they wouldn't come out.
That's messed up.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Man you might need legal help for this one.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by asianspec
Man you might need legal help for this one.
That's what you pay your insurance company for.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

My insurance company won't touch it. The only way they will get involved is if I have it fixed and they they will fight the other company and try and get refunded. She said at this route it could take months.

I don't really have the ability to put out money for the repairs and rental car and wait months for that money to possibly return
So have your insurance company pay to have your car fixed, then your insurance company will fight the other guy's insurance company to get reimbursed.

Meanwhile your car is fixed, and no headaches for you.

What's the trouble with that? That is why you have insurance...no?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM

So have your insurance company pay to have your car fixed, then your insurance company will fight the other guy's insurance company to get reimbursed.

Meanwhile your car is fixed, and no headaches for you.

What's the trouble with that? That is why you have insurance...no?
The problem is that I don't have the extra $500 (my deductible) right now, plus the price of the rental car.

If the car wasn't drive able I would certainly just go through my insurance. The damage is more of a hassle than anything.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
What kind of insurance company is this? And why are you going through the other guy's insurance if it's going to take this long?

You get your insurance company to cover your damages, they will then subrogate the other insurance company, and once they get the money back from the other company, you will be refunded your deductible.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by phile
What kind of insurance company is this? And why are you going through the other guy's insurance if it's going to take this long?

You get your insurance company to cover your damages, they will then subrogate the other insurance company, and once they get the money back from the other company, you will be refunded your deductible.
My insurance co is Erie Insurance. She said it might take that long for them to fight it out. For reference refer to Ravi's post above, it took him 4 years to get his check.

Ok now for the third time this thread im not going through my company because I don't have the extra money laying around to pay the deductible and rental car fee's.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
That's messed up.
Last time I was in a car accident the police refused to come. I said, I don't know if anyone in the other car was hurt, there are like 9 people in there. The dispatcher said "well, call back for an ambulance if you want, but we are really busy"
Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Pinky all stinky

My insurance co is Erie Insurance. She said it might take that long for them to fight it out. For reference refer to Ravi's post above, it took him 4 years to get his check.

Ok now for the third time this thread im not going through my company because I don't have the extra money laying around to pay the deductible and rental car fee's.

You have pictures clearly with the guy present there. Ravi's post is different - his accident required the two insurance companies to sit down and finally decide which of their insureds were wrong. It's called arbitration, and yes, it takes that long.

Your case, because you have proof that said clown was there and rear-ended you, it is a clear cut verdict. You will get your refund, it won't be within weeks, but not 4 years either.

So you drive a CL...you don't even have the $500 deductible to fix your car, and your insurance policy doesn't even include rental. You see anything wrong with that?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 PM

So you drive a CL...you don't even have the $500 deductible to fix your car, and your insurance policy doesn't even include rental. You see anything wrong with that?
Its a CL, not a ferrari

Yes I have $500 to pay the deductible if I had to, if lets say the car was severely damaged or something. Lets say its more a choice that I don't want to put out that money right now.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Understood. What made my case difficult was that the other driver was considered uninsured. It took 4 years for my insurance company to get all the money back since the driver was making payments.

It sounds like you're in for a fight from the other insurance company.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts

Your insurance company should be doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if they are dickin' with you because you are calling them instead of your insurance company calling them.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should post the pics up
Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Its a CL, not a ferrari

Yes I have $500 to pay the deductible if I had to, if lets say the car was severely damaged or something. Lets say its more a choice that I don't want to put out that money right now.
Just put out the $500. You're not doing yourself any favors. And add rental to your policy while you're at it.

In fact, go with a larger carrier like Geico or State Farm. You know you're getting your money's worth when your own insurance company is telling you to call the other guy's insurance company, when it's their JOB to do that for you. Pay more for a higher premium with a better company and you'll save yourself the hassle in the long run.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TzarChasm
Last time I was in a car accident the police refused to come. I said, I don't know if anyone in the other car was hurt, there are like 9 people in there. The dispatcher said "well, call back for an ambulance if you want, but we are really busy"
Wtf!?

You shouldve said you needed an ambulance just so you could get someone out there.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Just put out the $500. You're not doing yourself any favors. And add rental to your policy while you're at it.

In fact, go with a larger carrier like Geico or State Farm. You know you're getting your money's worth when your own insurance company is telling you to call the other guy's insurance company, when it's their JOB to do that for you. Pay more for a higher premium with a better company and you'll save yourself the hassle in the long run.

Isn't it the other insurance company that is supposed to deal with everything when it's not your fault?

Get yours involved and your premium could go up.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

Isn't it the other insurance company that is supposed to deal with everything when it's not your fault?

Get yours involved and your premium could go up.
Where are you getting this from? Your premium goes up whether you report it to the other car insurance company (which you shouldn't be doing) or your own.

Furthermore, there are different endorsements on a car's policy. If the other person doesn't have insurance, and you have Underinsured/Uninsured endorsement on your policy, you're covered by your own.

If the other person does have insurance, you can elect to go through them for repair - but then you have to play by their rules, and often it's not to your favor. They will appraise your damage lower to keep their out of pocket fees lower. You're better off going thru your own company even if it's not your fault simply because of their incentive to make you satisfied as a customer. But that's only with the big guys. Obviously a company like Erie who's telling him to call the other insurance company doesn't seem to care.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
car accidents... everyone is a loser... except last year...got rearended in a rental car... fortunately an offduty cop saw it and called it in... the other guy ran... the car was not driveable for the rest of our trip...the police called our insurance and our insurance adjuster got us another rental car within an hour, got the rental fixed, called and checked on us for two weeks to make sure we were OK too... my out of pocket was zero... 1st time the system worked for us, which was a blessing...the rental had 6k in damages...
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM

phile you make it sound like Erie is a small company

They only told me to contact his company to eliminate having to pay my deductible. Its my choice to proceed this way, they would rather me go through them. If I don't end up getting satisfactory results ill bite the bullet and go through my insurance
Old 09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I am praying that things work out well for you... in the past, about 20% of peeps in accidents that I have been involved in one way or the other, tell the truth... even in court, so it was no surprised when you said he was having amnesia....
Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Pinky all stinky

phile you make it sound like Erie is a small company

They only told me to contact his company to eliminate having to pay my deductible. Its my choice to proceed this way, they would rather me go through them. If I don't end up getting satisfactory results ill bite the bullet and go through my insurance
Show of hands: who here has heard of Erie insurance?

They shouldn't have had you contact his company - period. That's THEIR job. If you wanted to go through the other guy's insurance company, they still should have reported the claim on your behalf and have a claim adjuster from the other guy's company contact you. You essentially did their job for them. And when you chose to go through the other guy's insurance company, you also saved Erie money cause they don't have to pay for the damages caused by the other guy. And guess what? Your premium is going to go up anyway.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 PM

Show of hands: who here has heard of Erie insurance?

They shouldn't have had you contact his company - period. That's THEIR job. If you wanted to go through the other guy's insurance company, they still should have reported the claim on your behalf and have a claim adjuster from the other guy's company contact you. You essentially did their job for them. And when you chose to go through the other guy's insurance company, you also saved Erie money cause they don't have to pay for the damages caused by the other guy. And guess what? Your premium is going to go up anyway.
Erie is one of the largest providers in PA and services 11 states on the east coast. Almost everyone I know has them

No my rates are not going up I have already verified that with my agent.

Show of hands who voted phile as the local insurance guru?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

No offense to the OP, but it sounds like your Insurance Company is really dropping the ball here. Very poor customer service.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

If you wait for his insurance to pay then that could take months also.

Personally I would have more trust in my own insurance to battle this fight for me. If you dont have the $500 deductible then borrow it from someone.

You will get that money back once your insurance collects the money from his. At least im pretty sure.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Erie is one of the largest providers in PA and services 11 states on the east coast. Almost everyone I know has them

No my rates are not going up I have already verified that with my agent.

Show of hands who voted phile as the local insurance guru?
I'm trying to help you out. whatever, enjoy the crappy customer service. And one last word of advice: your agent doesn't determine if your premium goes up or not. It's the underwriting department of your insurance company, and your agent has no control over them.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ You can lead a horse to water........
Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had erie........they're the cheapest for a reason
Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

i tell this to everyone. always, always, ALWAYS call the police. if you have a police report stating who is at fault, or even the fact that you have a LEO that is a contactable witness there is no denying the claim.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
whether or not the police will come depends on what state you're in. for cali, there's no way they will come out unless they were already passing by, you're blocking a huge intersection, or someone is injured.

Quick Reply: My CL was hit two weeks ago and now the guy is denying it