My 8G accord got in to an accident today!!! Sad, sad day!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question My 8G accord got in to an accident today!!! Sad, sad day!!!

Hi everyone,
I was off to work this morning and the car in front of me stopped suddenly. I rear ended the car (Yeah I accept it was my fault. I was driving very close to the car in the front). The car in the front was a SUV. (Old Saturn VUE). It was higher than my car so didn't really do much damage to it but mine is totally screwed up. The hood is bent, front bumper was broke, passenger side fender was bent etc. My airbags didn't deploy at all. radiator was damaged to because car was leaking green stuff.

I had only $5k remaining on it which I was planning to pay it off next month and planning to drive it for 4 -5 more years.......But bad luck it is. I have put a deposit down on 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD (BWP) for my wife.

Now, my question is : Should I keep the car after repairs or should I trade it in for a new one and go back to monthly payment hassle for two cars.......I like to drive my car for at least 7-8 years but now i doubt if I can do the same with the this car.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
get a quote on repairs

Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by WeTehPeople
I like to drive my car for at least 7-8 years but now i doubt if I can do the same with the this car.
Once car is fixed, what will have changed? It's not like car is totaled.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, I left at the Service king. They will give me a repair quote on Monday.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZuser
Once car is fixed, what will have changed? It's not like car is totaled.
Yeah man. I would still love the car and drive it few more years. It won't be totaled for sure. But i don't know if it will be still under the warranty. If something goes wrong after the warranty expires, I don't wanna put a hole in my pocket.That's a concern. Also, Will my car worth anything at all after the accident?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Doesnt sound too bad of damage, you will be fine once its all fixed up!
The following users liked this post:
WeTehPeople (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Doesnt sound too bad of damage, you will be fine once its all fixed up!
Thanks. I hope that too. I just put $12k down on a new 2012 tl last week and don't want to go back to paying so much every month.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
not even a cellphone pic?

doesn't sound too bad man

just fix it and forget about it
WeTehPeople (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i say keep it if its not totaled at least is not gonna be salvaged
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
keep it!

it's almost paid off
Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Where in tx are u?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
not even a cellphone pic?

doesn't sound too bad man

just fix it and forget about it
Thanks. It was a bad day from the beginning. I forgot to recharge my phone last night. My battery was low so, it wouldn't let me take picture.....I talked to the insurance company and 911 and it died completely.

Yeah, I would hope so. It should be just a bumper,hood,fender,AC and radiator parts.

Last edited by WeTehPeople; 08-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
Where in tx are u?
Arlington,TX. I was on my way to work. I work in Dallas.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
If you're diligent and find a good shop (In Canada the insured party can choose any shop independent of the insurance company, but I'm not sure how it works in the US) and the repairs done properly, you have nothing to worry about.

Don't worry about the value of the car either. If you drive the car for about eight years as you claim, the value of an eight year old Accord with no damage history is not going to be much more that an eight year old Accord with previous damage that was repaired properly.

Get the car repaired and enjoy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by teranfon:
mrmako (08-27-2011), WeTehPeople (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
It's not the end of the world. Just make sure that the paint matches and bodywork lines up, and you should be good to go.
WeTehPeople (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Depending on your insurance they may have recommended shops for repair that you can choose from. If that's the case, the work completed should be guaranteed for life. At least that's what my insurance company does. You may have to fight for some OEM parts rather than used or aftermarket.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teranfon
If you're diligent and find a good shop (In Canada the insured party can choose any shop independent of the insurance company, but I'm not sure how it works in the US) and the repairs done properly, you have nothing to worry about.

Don't worry about the value of the car either. If you drive the car for about eight years as you claim, the value of an eight year old Accord with no damage history is not going to be much more that an eight year old Accord with previous damage that was repaired properly.

Thanks. These two cents brought me a piece of mind. It makes total sense.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aman
It's not the end of the world. Just make sure that the paint matches and bodywork lines up, and you should be good to go.

I was telling my self the same thing since this morning. You finally convinced my. Thanks man.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MR1
Depending on your insurance they may have recommended shops for repair that you can choose from. If that's the case, the work completed should be guaranteed for life. At least that's what my insurance company does. You may have to fight for some OEM parts rather than used or aftermarket.
They have their recommended shops.....I picked where I wanted it to be done. ..Their work has a lifetime warranty too....... Service king collision repair is pretty reputable in DFW and Houston area. They use OEM parts only for the repairs. I just picked them and they were right next to the accident site fortunately.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon

That's the key right there. If you were one of those types that changes cars every couple of years, you might see a difference in value and/or have trouble selling it.
Document the damage, save all receipts for the work that was done, and be super anal with the shop before you accept it after the repair. Make sure the paint match and panel fit-up is perfect, and don't be afraid to make them re-do it until it's right.
Good Luck!
WeTehPeople (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
That's the key right there. If you were one of those types that changes cars every couple of years, you might see a difference in value and/or have trouble selling it.
Document the damage, save all receipts for the work that was done, and be super anal with the shop before you accept it after the repair. Make sure the paint match and panel fit-up is perfect, and don't be afraid to make them re-do it until it's right.
Good Luck!
Thanks. I wish I were one of those guys.......I only wish......But I am not....I like to enjoy everything I own till it's not enjoyable........

I do have a habit of documenting everything related to the car. I have all of the service records so far....I yet have to learn how to be anal to someone but advise is taken,sir. I will keep everything you said in mind.

I am a newbee to this forum ( but I was a secret visitor for a long long time tho). I posted my first thread few weeks ago when I was in a dilemma about which car to buy as our second car......

So far I have to say.......You guys are awesome...You guys have answers to almost everything...I coudn't stop thinking about my car and what to do with it until now.....But I am all calm now......Cheers to all of you........Cheers to Acurazine.

Last edited by WeTehPeople; 08-26-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
To be anal about repairs is like everything else. Check the gaps, paint and paint match, everything straight and functioning properly. Take your time before accepting the car. If anything seems off, point it out and request that it be corrected. After that, drive the car like you did when it was new for a while. Note any problems and take it back for correction.

No need to be rude or to yell, just point out the different areas where you aren't satisfied. I had to take my car back 4-5 times over the course of one year to get it to where I expected it to be. Then another year later I noticed that the hood wasn't perfect. My shop noted all of my concurs and took care of them. My shop had done a good job but I'm anal and wanted real close to perfect. Point is you can't catch everything all at once. Picking a good shop is a great first step.
WeTehPeople (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MR1
To be anal about repairs is like everything else. Check the gaps, paint and paint match, everything straight and functioning properly. Take your time before accepting the car. If anything seems off, point it out and request that it be corrected. After that, drive the car like you did when it was new for a while. Note any problems and take it back for correction.

No need to be rude or to yell, just point out the different areas where you aren't satisfied. I had to take my car back 4-5 times over the course of one year to get it to where I expected it to be. Then another year later I noticed that the hood wasn't perfect. My shop noted all of my concurs and took care of them. My shop had done a good job but I'm anal and wanted real close to perfect. Point is you can't catch everything all at once. Picking a good shop is a great first step.
Note taken,Sir. I am not a rude nature guy. I don't even remember last time I yelled.........I will sure point out everything you mentioned here in a very professional manner.........i do have an eye for small details so I will try to catch as much as I can.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I vote keep it. I got rear-ended when I had my CL and the body shop I took it to did an amazing job. Of course the trade in value took a hit but IMO it was better than before I got rear-ended.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Have shop fix it. Bring a 2nd (or even 3rd) pair of eyes to do inspection. If something isn't right, have shop fix it before taking possession of vehicle. Make sure you do test drive too, just in case.
WeTehPeople (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZuser
Have shop fix it. Bring a 2nd (or even 3rd) pair of eyes to do inspection. If something isn't right, have shop fix it before taking possession of vehicle. Make sure you do test drive too, just in case.

Sure I will do....I dropped my car at the Service King Collision Repair www.serviceking.com after filing a police report and insurance claim...Haven't heard back from insurance adjuster (State farm) or Service king. Hope everything will work out fine.....

This happened on a highway.....The first car slammed on the brake. Then the car in front of me slammed on the brake and barely touched the car in front of it....and I failed to stop it on time.......I don't know now who will be in fault..(Police didn't issue any citation)....But meh......no buddy was hurt....Thats the main thing.

I wonder why my airbags didn't go off after such as a hit.....I may try to take some pictures when I go there on Monday.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Team Owner

Sure I will do....I dropped my car at the Service King Collision Repair www.serviceking.com after filing a police report and insurance claim...Haven't heard back from insurance adjuster (State farm) or Service king. Hope everything will work out fine.....

This happened on a highway.....The first car slammed on the brake. Then the car in front of me slammed on the brake and barely touched the car in front of it....and I failed to stop it on time.......I don't know now who will be in fault..(Police didn't issue any citation)....But meh......no buddy was hurt....Thats the main thing.

I wonder why my airbags didn't go off after such as a hit.....I may try to take some pictures when I go there on Monday.
Since you probably went under the SUV when you hit the car did not have a sudden enough deceleration to cause the airbags to deploy. That would be my edu-ma-cated guess.
WeTehPeople (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
As others have said, make sure that you are good with a once/twice/thrice over. And don't try to look at the paint match inside a garage. Outside in the sunlight might show the differences better.
WeTehPeople (08-27-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Since you probably went under the SUV when you hit the car did not have a sudden enough deceleration to cause the airbags to deploy. That would be my edu-ma-cated guess.
This.

Airbags don't deploy based on damage but rather the angle of impact and rate of deceleration. If you go from 40 to 0 in an instant in a head-on crash with another car or a stationary object like a tree or lamp post, the airbags will go off. But if you have a glancing blow with another car where only a fraction of the car's speed is lost, chances are good the airbags won't deploy. This computer must analyze a number of factors and in a hundredth of a second, make a determination as to whether or not the impact is severe enough to merit deployment. Newer cars even take seat position and seatbelt use into account.
WeTehPeople (08-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
This.

Airbags don't deploy based on damage but rather the angle of impact and rate of deceleration. If you go from 40 to 0 in an instant in a head-on crash with another car or a stationary object like a tree or lamp post, the airbags will go off. But if you have a glancing blow with another car where only a fraction of the car's speed is lost, chances are good the airbags won't deploy. This computer must analyze a number of factors and in a hundredth of a second, make a determination as to whether or not the impact is severe enough to merit deployment. Newer cars even take seat position and seatbelt use into account.
Thanks. That was some interesting info. I didn't know that.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
get it fixed and keep it, no reason for you to have to make 2 payments.
WeTehPeople (08-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
get it fixed and keep it, no reason for you to have to make 2 payments.
Thanks.That's what I want to do....I hope they don't declare it totaled.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

So Here are some cell phone pics I was able to get today when I was there..... Preliminary estimate, given by the shop, is $4500. What do you guys think?Too bad?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Pics of my wracked Accord!!

Sorry, I don't exactly know how to add pics.........But I hope it's right....
They actually removed the bumper and fenders.......But basically pics show the damage.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

So Here are some cell phone pics I was able to get today when I was there..... Preliminary estimate, given by the shop, is $4500. What do you guys think?Too bad?
I don't see pics. $4500 is not too bad. My CL had about $6K worth of damage.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

How abt now..........I put links for the pics here.........Or can someone educate me how to post pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2237560...n/photostream/

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Team Owner

WeTehPeople (08-29-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Team Owner

Check out this thread on how to post pics. I use Photobucket for pics. It is a lot easier.
WeTehPeople (08-29-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Check out this thread on how to post pics. I use Photobucket for pics. It is a lot easier.
Thanks a ton man.....I will check out the thread.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That's really not that bad, I'd keep the car. The damage doesn't seem to go back further than the front bulkhead so any reputable body shop can have that fixed 100% like new. Like you wouldn't even notice anything, car should ride exactly the same.
WeTehPeople (08-30-2011)

Quick Reply: My 8G accord got in to an accident today!!! Sad, sad day!!!