Moving to Manhattan... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Hate to bring this more OT, but where are you attending school and what are you majoring in? Just curious...
Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
If you leave your car at your parents for 2 years, it'll just be sitting there depreciating. I don't see the sense in that. And what if for some reason it gets damaged at your house? You'll have to get it repaired and it'll again just sit there.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey another accountant with a TL. congrats with the job. Parking in the city sucks. I drive to work in the city from brooklyn, but I work late nights and downtown. So I can park in the streets, but then again I usually drive my other car so I dont get and dings. parking in a lot will range 300-400 a month, might want to try it for a month or two to see if you like it. The idea of selling the car might be hard, depends on your life style if you will be in the city all the time I would sell it. The money you will get for it and the money saved from not parking in a lot and insurance will be a nice chunk of change like someone mentioned before. Also there is too many cabs around you there and also MTA.

Also parking lots towards the water tend to be cheaper.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I SMELL NAWZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eat clam chowder? i heard theres some seriously kick ass clam chowder around there
Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
So I'm confused. If you live/lived in Brooklyn what's the fascination with having to live in Manhattan? You can live anywhere in NYC & get to the heart of Manhattan in 20 minutes by subway.
Brooklyn is not Manhattan.... and it takes me about an hour to get to midtown....

Originally Posted by ks112
Accounting firm? One of the big 4 I assume. Damn when you mentioned Manhattan and crazy hours I thought you got in the investment banking. In that case you could easily afford to garage your car. I dunno man manhattan is expensive be prepared to shell out big bux for rent and food.
Yea... one of the big four. I wish I was talking about investment banking. I know Manhattan is expensive but I was looking at many nearby towns and the prices are about the same, but for bigger apartments. Also, I will be living with my fiance who is starting out nursing in the city (and she will be making more than me).

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Hate to bring this more OT, but where are you attending school and what are you majoring in? Just curious...
SUNY Binghamton... Accounting major.

Originally Posted by AMGala
If you leave your car at your parents for 2 years, it'll just be sitting there depreciating. I don't see the sense in that. And what if for some reason it gets damaged at your house? You'll have to get it repaired and it'll again just sit there.
I know... I thought about all that too. But at least I would get to see it maybe every week or so. I guess it really doesn't make sense though. Right now the best option maybe living somewhere like Jersey City or Williamsburg, where I can be very close to the city and keep the car.

Originally Posted by Bklyn02TypeS
hey another accountant with a TL. congrats with the job. Parking in the city sucks. I drive to work in the city from brooklyn, but I work late nights and downtown. So I can park in the streets, but then again I usually drive my other car so I dont get and dings. parking in a lot will range 300-400 a month, might want to try it for a month or two to see if you like it. The idea of selling the car might be hard, depends on your life style if you will be in the city all the time I would sell it. The money you will get for it and the money saved from not parking in a lot and insurance will be a nice chunk of change like someone mentioned before. Also there is too many cabs around you there and also MTA.

Also parking lots towards the water tend to be cheaper.

Good luck.
Wow, that really is a lot. I can't see spending that kind of money per month to have the car in the city. I know I will be using MTA and cabs more often anyway. Thanks for the advice and wishes.

Originally Posted by SanJoseRoller
eat clam chowder? i heard theres some seriously kick ass clam chowder around there
umm.... ok.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Pro

Which one of the big 4? deloite? Are you doing your CPA thing or are you in other departments. Because the big 4 firms still do transactional services and valuations, somewhat similar to ibanking, but a far cry from goldman sachs
Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by calgary2800
Our family lived in Brooklyn for 5 years, no car all subway. It drove us batty so we headed west and now our household has 3 cars. NYC felt like a jail, public transit gets so old after a while. Sorry to pop your bubble, dont sell the car you need to escape far away in a nice car on weekends trust me on this.
My car is like my escape from all the madness. Its my freedom and I dont think I could part with it. After school and work I put on my favorite music sit down in my comfortable leather seats and slowly drive home thru traffic lol