Mini Van Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
The best looking is the dodge or the Mazda(if they still make it). MB is coming out with there R. Looks like a minivan-the sliding doors, and it will be offered in AMG.
Only prob is it starts at about 50, loaded over 60, but you can dream.
I saw this at the auto show and do like it but could never unload that much $$$ for a family hauler.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
We have a dodge, has a lot of problems, but its under warrenty. I would talk with your wife to avoid the minivan at all costs(go with an SUV with three rows of seating). The Leaf Spring suspensions are a bitch. Stow and go seating is a waste of money IMO, you get more leg room without it and you may as well just take the seats out, takes all of 2 minutes more. Our dodge dealer had a minivan with an 8-80 warrenty, 10k miles, for 15 or 18k. But that was 6 months ago. My mother is sick of having minivans, after my dad gets the TL, and the bank account goes back up, shes gettin a magnum or a subaru.
Why are you pushing SUV's so much? For people on a budget, minivans make so much more sense. They do everything most SUV's can do (except go off road, but most SUV's can't even do that), and they do the people hauling job better. There's more interior room, and they often handle and drive better. And then there's the big matter of fuel economy, or lack thereof.

Wagons are a good alternative though, if one can afford to lose a row of seats.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by youngTL
Why are you pushing SUV's so much? For people on a budget, minivans make so much more sense. They do everything most SUV's can do (except go off road, but most SUV's can't even do that), and they do the people hauling job better. There's more interior room, and they often handle and drive better. And then there's the big matter of fuel economy, or lack thereof.

....you're 100% correct youngTL. Minivans arent the most glamourous vehicles on the road but they're so darn useful in ways that most SUVs cant even come close to. (The wife and I never wanted one but once we got one, we cant imagine life without one.)

I just brought my son to his summer camp job with his luggage and mountain bike inside my 00 Quest. Unless one has a large SUV, an Explorer or Pathfinder's not doing that unless the bike is disassembled or mounted outside (which I would never do). I saw countless wagons and SUVs with bikes and luggage mounted on the outside....with the minivan that's not even a consideration (exceptions: Christmas trees, skis and kayaks )
Old 06-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Why a van anyways? Seating, cargo? For seating you can get a 3 rowed Highlander. New it was low $20's but I think some vans are cheaper. The Chevy Uplander/Saturn Relay are in the low-mid $20's, seat 7, have removable chairs, optional 40GB mp3 player, standard DVD player, and tons of space. They don't look like vans neither.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
Why a van anyways? Seating, cargo? For seating you can get a 3 rowed Highlander. New it was low $20's but I think some vans are cheaper. The Chevy Uplander/Saturn Relay are in the low-mid $20's, seat 7, have removable chairs, optional 40GB mp3 player, standard DVD player, and tons of space. They don't look like vans neither.
Difference here is that adults can sit in the 3rd row of my 00 Quest (a relatively small minivan) without being leg amputees.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_it
I say get a Dodge Caravan w/ the V6. We used to own one (I think it was a 1995 model) and I raced my wife in it when we owned a 1994 GT grand-am w. the quad 4. That caravan waxed my ass. lol

But overall very roomy , but vans are not my cup of tea, I had to trade it in for a SUV. A buddy here at work owns one and has 5-kids. He said it works out fine for him, untill he can afford a ChevY Burban.
anything can wax the loud quad 4 engine, it was one of the worst engines they ahve made
Old 06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Comptech Freak

Chevy and Dodge if he wants the base model

the cheapest ones out there
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Team Owner

I just read the Car and Driver where they did the best trucks, vans, and SUV's. The top SUV was the new Odyssey. They also nominated the Grand Carvan (or was it the T&C) and the Sienna. They didn't get to review the Uplander/Relay/Montana/Terraza quadruplets.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

I thought the Pilot was C/D's top SUV.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by youngTL

well said. love how people are so anti minivan. Only thing an SUV does better than a minivan is go offroad and with all wheel drive minivans I am sure that is in question unless you get a real truck based SUV.

Minivans are, and will always be the swiss army knife of vehicles. In no other vehicle can you carry that many people, fold down the seats and carry that much stuff, all the while getting decent gas mileage and drive something that handles like a normal car.

I would recommend a slightly used sienna. Hondas are really nice but with how popular they are you can get a new sienna for the same price as a used honda in many areas. Know a few people that bought the toyota and they are very happy with it.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4
I thought the Pilot was C/D's top SUV.
Oops. Meant van.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM
TL no more!

You all are right about having a minivan as a utilitarian vehicle. It's a great concept. Having owned an Explorer AND a Town & Country years ago (Explorer was sold due to gas mileage and the Town & Country was totaled), our '94 Town & Country has bested the Explorer in almost all categories. The Town & Country has much more power, the AWD worked just as well as the Explorer (which has never been offroad other than a mudpit or two just for fun), better fuel economy (our T&C could get up to 25mpg before it was totaled at 121k), seats more people comfortably, has less problems than my Explorer, and most important of all, carry much more crap than my Explorer.

So that's why my parents bought another minivan ('05 Odyssey EX-L) instead of a sedan. My dad was leaning toward a TSX but mom told him that practicality is a lot more important. But he said he'd get a TL or an RL in a couple of years so we'll see.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:36 AM
563hp daily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My cousin just got '05 Quest for $21,000 in Chicago 'burbs due to his 2nd kid.

And I'm happy with my 4-banger '97 Caravan purchased 2 years ago as a beater for $6000 with only 49K mi (driven by some succer mom) .

This POS is good on gas, looks ok, got some balls (beats Civic ) and most important it carries so much stuff I don't know what I'd do without it. Last year I filled with 6 adults (incl. driver) and bags and went Wisconsin - 3hours trip. Just changed rotors/pad/calipers and charged a/c. I take care of it.
No issues whatsoever and passed smog test this month .

Last edited by 02AV6; 06-21-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you buy domestic, go for a used grand caravan with a chrysler extended warranty. There actually pretty good vechicles, and the resale value is horrible on them. You can pickup a slightly used for practically half price.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derrick
If you want something CHEAP, then the Chrysler will fit the bill. They make many of the Caravans in my hometown, Windsor. Let me tell you -- I know quite a few people on that assembly line and it's no wonder there are so many problems with these types of cars. The 'Stow-n-Go' concept is good -- but I wonder how durable those plastic components will last.

Similarly, the Pacifica is also assembled in Windsor, ON. Once Chysler figured out that making it with fabric interiors and dropping Celine Dion as the spokesperson, sales would improve. (They had it up against ML series MB and cheap X5 alternative) Whoever said they were bad on gas ... you're absolutely correct on that!
Chrysler crap...
I wouldn't buy a Jeep. Most of them are made in Detroit or Toledo. Kowality.

Go Ford Windstar! or if you can swing it, the Mercury Monterey.
"The wife is sure to approve" <= future tagline before Ford cancels the van production
Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 PM
hail to the victors

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
Chrysler crap...
I wouldn't buy a Jeep. Most of them are made in Detroit or Toledo. Kowality.

Go Ford Windstar! or if you can swing it, the Mercury Monterey.
"The wife is sure to approve" <= future tagline before Ford cancels the van production

you mean ford freestar?

well, i think freestar is pretty aweful compared to other vans.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
you mean ford freestar?

well, i think freestar is pretty aweful compared to other vans.
It is. But the Windstar was even worse. Especially if he's looking for a used van. The Chrysler vans will have insanely low resale, so you should be able to get one cheap. They're good bargains for the price compared to a 1G Odyssey or Sienna. The Mazda MPV is a pretty reliable van I've heard. Not sure if there's anything to back that up. The major thing with the Chryslers is the electrical problems and the transmission. But you should be able to feel a clunking transmission on a used van. If it's free of electrical issues and has no tranny probs, then thats the best way to go to save $$$.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

I like the looks/price(starts at 17k) of the new Mazda 5. Its a size under the current minivans(based off the Mazda 3) but it still looks fairly versatile.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Team Owner

That 5 is nice but if the thread starter ever tells us what he wants for the vehicle it's moot.