AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   Midsize SUV good cargo / commuter (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/midsize-suv-good-cargo-commuter-978613/)

ThermonMermon 04-08-2019 08:44 PM

Midsize SUV good cargo / commuter

Hey guys. We currently have a Subaru Outback (which has been great BTW) but we are quickly outgrowing w kids stuff. This will double as a commuter car for my wife for dense traffic in and out of Newark area, and she can’t drive cars that “drive big”.

what is a good all in one car that fits the following criteria

-cargo volume near or above 40 Ft. Outback is 35 Ft. Three row car is too big
-car-like tight steering, easy to maneuver in traffic. Can’t drive like a truck
-good awd system
-not terribly wide or long. Scratch out the Honda passport, Buick Enclave, mdx. Basically anything that offers a third row is too big
-decent mpg

45-50k budget with leather all tech features. But could stretch. Brand somewhat important but not everything. Could go CPO if close to 40.

literally the only car I am finding is the Ford Edge Titanium that checks all the boxes. Edge drives really well for quick manuevers and city driving without being incredibly large. 40 ft of cargo. The Jeep GC drives too truck like for my wife. The X5 which maybe we could swing is frankly too nice and the cargo area is actually similar to the outback. Passport is too wide and drives like a truck. New nautilus is a decent option but steering feel isn’t as tight as the edge and it is much more. Xc60 too small. Xc90 too big. V90 cargo is same as the outback.

Thanks

rockstar143 04-08-2019 08:46 PM

Sq5 :O

ThermonMermon 04-08-2019 08:57 PM

Audi Q5 cargo is atrocious. It’s odd. All of the research I’m doing (which starts at cargo volume) is so minimal for the Germans. It’s like they box out the trunk for a clean fit and finish and the volume numbers are abysmal

If I had it my way I would get a Velar. Or a slightly used Velar. But even that has similar cargo to the Outback...on paper.

mrmako 04-08-2019 09:05 PM

If you're thinking Edge, what about an ST? :racing:

So is the 40ft with the seats up or down? The XC60 is a nice vehicle as well.

ThermonMermon 04-08-2019 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrmako (Post 16408940)
If you're thinking Edge, what about an ST? :racing:

So is the 40ft with the seats up or down? The XC60 is a nice vehicle as well.

seats up. Xc60 cargo is way too small. Smaller than the outback. Whole point of replacing the outback is to have more cargo. Xc60 is actually smaller than the outgoing model.

I pay for the car. She pays for the gas. If the edge ST were priced the same as the base engine she would still prefer the base given you could get by on regular and have better mpg. We already went through this convo when I pushed her to get the 3.6r outback. Lol

This is the wifes City commuter / baby hauler.

mrmako 04-08-2019 09:21 PM

Hmm, an XC90 is 41 with the far rear seats down, but you said a 7 seater is a no go. How about a Subaru Ascent? Not that much bigger on the outside than an Outback, but very roomy inside? :shrug:

ThermonMermon 04-08-2019 09:33 PM

She drove my friends ascent. Wayyy to big. She’s navigating through many highway mergers in bumper to bumper traffic, then fighting off 100 cars to snag a parking space in a mass commuter parking garage. Even myself...a better driver, would absolutely hate driving a 3 row suv through that on a daily basis.
The ascent is basically the size of the minivan.

Honestly, what she needs is a Prius. But I’m trying to figure out a way to replace the outback with something with a bitttt more cargo without sacrificing on maneuverability or exterior dimensions. Which will give full freedom for car #2 replacement. Which will basically be a toy for non family use. New ford bronco with removable doors or wrangler or E90 vert - Etc

ThermonMermon 04-08-2019 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrmako (Post 16408949)
Hmm, an XC90 is 41 with the far rear seats down, but you said a 7 seater is a no go. How about a Subaru Ascent? Not that much bigger on the outside than an Outback, but very roomy inside? :shrug:

luxury cars have much smaller cargo capacity. Likely due to a cleaner look with cubbies etc. Yes even an XC90 which is too big has 41 ft compared to an outback with 35/36. The only thing I’m seeing so far is a Ford Edge with 40. And the merc Gle which has class leading cargo for a 2 row. But seems excessive for what we truly need

JT4 04-09-2019 06:07 AM

I know you said no third row and near or above 40 for the cargo volume, however what about a Mazda CX-9? With the 2nd row up its 38.2, granted not 40 but close, with the 3rd row seats up it's 14.4, and with everything folded its 71.

I have never driven one but those who have say it drives much smaller than it is and swear by the way it handles.. Just a thought

ThermonMermon 04-09-2019 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by JT4 (Post 16409026)
I know you said no third row and near or above 40 for the cargo volume, however what about a Mazda CX-9? With the 2nd row up its 38.2, granted not 40 but close, with the 3rd row seats up it's 14.4, and with everything folded its 71.

I have never driven one but those who have say it drives much smaller than it is and swear by the way it handles.. Just a thought

was thinking that too, but it’s 202 in long and 78 wide.

Outback is 187 x 72. Edge is 188x76

this search keeps coming back to the edge. Very strange. It’s as if the big cargo / usable 2 row suv is dead. Where’s the cx7? Where’s the car that slots between the ascent and outback?

rockstar143 04-09-2019 07:50 AM

Damn Thermon...
PM me if you'd consider the Volvo V60.
It just dawned on me that it basically checks all the boxes for you.
Cargo space listed below with seating for 5, great gas mileage for stop and go and highway, nimble AF IMO...handles like a much smaller car, no joke.

28 ft³, 43.1 ft³ with seat area
and honestly, I don't see a better version of it for sale at a more reasonable price. It's literally the perfect commuter car...gorgeous interior matched with paint that is in great condition...it's called black ember which has a copper like metallic flake in it..37mpg highway with the new drive-e 2.0t
Easily the cleanest used car I've owned. I'm only selling because future wife picked it then realized she needed another minivan and I took it as my own. I ended up buying a used S4
last week so I decided this has to go although after a Sunday spent in it at Cars and Coffee and then commuting in it today, I'm reticent to let it go that quickly. :tomato:

https://acurazine.com/forums/market/978511

gatrhumpy 04-09-2019 08:43 AM

I think that's the only time he would actually purchase a vulva. :snicker:

00TL-P3.2 04-09-2019 09:03 AM

Might be on the long side, but what about a Flex?

Ours (FWD) has been trouble free in the ~4 yrs we've had it. My in-laws have an AWD & it's been good to them as well.

Drives like a car, handles decently & doesn't sit as 'tall' as an SUV.

Flipster23 04-10-2019 12:14 AM

^ and looks like a hurse.

:snicker:

00TL-P3.2 04-10-2019 08:54 AM

:chuckle: It is 2 boxes on wheels, but you can fit a MST* of stuff in it.

Spoiler

JS + XES 04-10-2019 12:22 PM

My family was in the same situation last year right before our second kid was born. We wanted to get the new Q7. Then we checked out Sienna and realized how amazing the storage volume is and got the Sienna SE. :pofl:

Lost the man card but it's just insanely convenient as a family car. I can put the bigass two kid stroller without folding it at all.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6df7be6449.jpg
I

ttribe 04-10-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Flipster23 (Post 16409493)
^ and looks like a hurse.

:snicker:

*hearse

[/spellingnazimode]

ThermonMermon 04-10-2019 01:57 PM

So far....

I think we owe it to ourselves to test drive the XC90. I am reading reviews that say it drives two classes smaller.

Unfortunately, the Ford Edge leases horribly (low 50% residual). CPO is tough (given it is so hard to find a non fleet Ford Edge), nor would I buy new. My leasing broker is getting to $514/mo, 36/10.5, nothing down, tax and fees out of pocket. $47k sticker, $4k off, Titanium plus tech package, and appearance package (20s, and painted bumpers. So a really bad leased for a $43k car. My Outback is 335/mo INCLUDING taxes, and the sticker is $42,xxx.

Conversely an XC90 is $599/mo, 7,500 miles, T6 Trim, as a standard quote. But with some options and 10,000 miles, it will probably be in the mid 6s. A CPO T6 AWD looks to be around $43k with 20k miles for a 17/18 (2016 i read are to be avoided). To back into a mid 400/mo payment on financing, that is $17k down plus tax.

....considerations, considerations. I could also buy the Outback off lease, and invest in a Thule and save a ton. The Thule would pay for itself just based off the fact that the Outback could run on regular and gets very good MPGs, especially compared to the XC90.

JS + XES 04-10-2019 02:23 PM

Just keep the Outback after lease. That sounds much better than other two options. The numbers don't sound too good for those cars.

West6MT 04-10-2019 02:58 PM

What he said perhaps ^^

Used E class wagon?

ThermonMermon 04-10-2019 03:05 PM

I looked. 35 ft cargo, same as Outback. CPO are asking around 44-46k, similar to XC90. So same situation as XC90....but without added cargo. Doesnt really solve any problems.

or this - which has 30 ft of cargo (less than outback), but probably more usable. a longer and wider bed, just more shallow. 30 mpg highway. but honestly, id rather have an XC90 (which is practically like a range rover in my book), than an odd cladded up, lifted wagon. They make the regular V90 with AWD, but 5" of ground clearance doesnt really cut it for NJ winters.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

SamDoe1 04-12-2019 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon (Post 16409779)
So far....

I think we owe it to ourselves to test drive the XC90. I am reading reviews that say it drives two classes smaller.

Unfortunately, the Ford Edge leases horribly (low 50% residual). CPO is tough (given it is so hard to find a non fleet Ford Edge), nor would I buy new. My leasing broker is getting to $514/mo, 36/10.5, nothing down, tax and fees out of pocket. $47k sticker, $4k off, Titanium plus tech package, and appearance package (20s, and painted bumpers. So a really bad leased for a $43k car. My Outback is 335/mo INCLUDING taxes, and the sticker is $42,xxx.

Conversely an XC90 is $599/mo, 7,500 miles, T6 Trim, as a standard quote. But with some options and 10,000 miles, it will probably be in the mid 6s. A CPO T6 AWD looks to be around $43k with 20k miles for a 17/18 (2016 i read are to be avoided). To back into a mid 400/mo payment on financing, that is $17k down plus tax.

....considerations, considerations. I could also buy the Outback off lease, and invest in a Thule and save a ton. The Thule would pay for itself just based off the fact that the Outback could run on regular and gets very good MPGs, especially compared to the XC90.

You don't have the 3.6R and your MSRP was $42k?? How is that possible unless you went balls out with the accessories? Our fully loaded (with cargo net!) 3.6R Limited stickered at like $39k.

In any case, I think you're more wise to just get a roof carrier and call it good. Unless you ALWAYS need that extra space, it doesn't make a ton of sense to go buy a $60k car to just use the abilities some of the time. Outback is, as you already know, a solid, comfortable, and efficient (if you have the 4cyl lol) car to drive around all the time. Outback is actually pretty huge for what it is, it's as big or bigger than a Jeep Grand Cherokee for sure and, as you said, a similar size to a lot of "mid size" SUV's out there.

That said, the new Honda Passport might fit your bill. 41cf of cargo with seats up. The only downside is the ZF9, you'll have to see if it has improved at all. The new RAV4 has 37.5cf of space as well.

Chief F1 Fan 04-12-2019 08:39 AM

I've got a CX-9 and as a hard-core car guy, I'm extremely satisfied with it. This CX-5 has the same engine but in a smaller package. It moves my 9 with a good deal of alacrity in everyday driving conditions. EPA cargo volume, rear seatback up/folded (cu ft) 30.9 / 59.6

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7278a05de2.png

ThermonMermon 04-12-2019 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16410536)
You don't have the 3.6R and your MSRP was $42k?? How is that possible unless you went balls out with the accessories? Our fully loaded (with cargo net!) 3.6R Limited stickered at like $39k.

In any case, I think you're more wise to just get a roof carrier and call it good. Unless you ALWAYS need that extra space, it doesn't make a ton of sense to go buy a $60k car to just use the abilities some of the time. Outback is, as you already know, a solid, comfortable, and efficient (if you have the 4cyl lol) car to drive around all the time. Outback is actually pretty huge for what it is, it's as big or bigger than a Jeep Grand Cherokee for sure and, as you said, a similar size to a lot of "mid size" SUV's out there.

That said, the new Honda Passport might fit your bill. 41cf of cargo with seats up. The only downside is the ZF9, you'll have to see if it has improved at all. The new RAV4 has 37.5cf of space as well.

2018 Outback Limited with EyeSight package, remote start, and floor mats.youre right. i had my numbers wrong. think it was 37ish

charliemike 04-12-2019 10:15 AM

Something to consider: I pitch a hitch on my CX-5 and a hitch platform with a waterproof bag and took it to Colorado and back with no issues.

Or you could go this route. Way cheaper than a new Volvo.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ca514357c0.gif

wackjum 04-12-2019 12:06 PM

I second cargo hitch baskets. They can be very useful. Just need to watch the weight you're putting on there because they act as a lever on your rear suspension.

00TL-P3.2 04-12-2019 12:18 PM

Some good points. If it's occasional use & you're happy with the OB, add a roof box for the times you need the extra space.
If it's a frequent need of space, a new/different car might make some sense.

Sarlacc 04-12-2019 12:28 PM

You're looking for a vehicle that doesn't exist. She just needs to get used to driving a bigger vehicle.

Aman 04-12-2019 09:53 PM

I think you're definitely going to have a hard time finding something that checks all your boxes.

What about the Forester? Or Honda Passport (I'm assuming you meant the Pilot that is out)

mrmako 04-13-2019 02:50 PM

The only caution I have for roof top boxes and bags, they may interfere with your XM antenna (if you have the service that is).

imj0257 04-13-2019 06:17 PM

If you didn't like the drive of the Passport, you won't like the GLE... drives like a truck. Don't bother. My wife wanted one that didn't feel big and bulky like a truck; she drove 100 feet in the GLE and was f this.

The XC90 T6 drives nicely.. plenty of power and cargo (you can fold the 3rd row down for extra cargo). I think it is a damn beautiful vehicle (we test drove the R Design) and that was my #1 pick, but both my wife and I HATED how EVERYTHING functions from the giant iPad thing in the front console. Too damn complicated.

The X5 is also very nice. I just have always had a thing against BMW dunno why, even though my wife loved it. I will say it drove nicely with plenty of power and agility. I also loved the fold down tailgate thing on it... like a pickup truck has.

The Q5 will be too small. Try a Q7 3.0T? Plenty of power and a nice, non-truck like ride. Plus tons of tech and a lot of it is standard. That is what we settled on.

CX line - I constantly hear great things about this line.. especially about how it is fun to drive. I'd check it out.

Other options could be the VW Atlas or that new Subarau Ascent?

mrmako 04-13-2019 10:05 PM

The Tiguan will give you 37.6 sq. ft of cargo, and you can get the nifty electronic dash. SEL 4 Motion MSRP around $34K

Tiguan Build

00TL-P3.2 04-15-2019 08:46 AM

:nod:
The GLE definitely drives 'big'. I had one for a loaner, and while it's quite comfortable, it drives similar to a Tahoe sized truck.

Tiguan could be a contender, the new ones are pretty nice inside, though I've only been a passenger.

SamDoe1 04-16-2019 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon (Post 16410597)
2018 Outback Limited with EyeSight package, remote start, and floor mats.youre right. i had my numbers wrong. think it was 37ish

That makes sense then. In any case, I vote keep the Outback. If you want to do something cool with it, get a lift kit and some K02 tires. :)

ThermonMermon 04-16-2019 02:34 PM

awaiting the new 2020 outback (unveiled tomorrow). will probably check it out in person next week at the auto show after work. could always roll my lease into that. and continue to play it by ear...the new outback should be similar to the legacy, which was already released. its dash looks WAY nicer. A step closer to the volvo dash. honestly, i love the simplicity of my outback. at has all of the equipment one would need without the fuss or packaging nightmare. it has auto braking front and rear, adaptive cruise, bending LED headlights, is a beast in snow, gets great MPG on regular, and it just luxurious enough that im content, and dont have to drive myself nuts over minor scratches and kid scuffs, etc. nothing really comes close to touching it in terms of value. the only drawback are the looks....and the fact that they dont make a bigger 2 row suv. I really wish Subaru, or Mazda for that matter, made a tweener suv beneath their 200" long 3-rowers.

the tiguan i like, especially with the sliding seats to get max cargo. but some interior materials knock hard, and I wouldnt buy a VW. it would lease way worse than an outback. unfortunately, the subaru residuals keep me coming back.

thanks for the info on the gle. will cross it off.

ThermonMermon 04-16-2019 03:01 PM

https://www.vw.com/models/tiguan/tri...-color/n4q-cf/

Hello SEL R-Line 4-Motion....

36k with virtual cockpit, 19" and body kit

fiatlux 04-16-2019 03:40 PM

cargo volume near or above 40 Ft. Outback is 35 Ft. Three row car is too big
not terribly wide or long. Scratch out the Honda passport, Buick Enclave, mdx. Basically anything that offers a third row is too big
Yeah...I don't think you're going to find something that checks that box. Keep in mind that the Outback is something like 190 inches long. That's the same length as the passport, which you're saying is too big. If you want more cargo room you'll have to go bigger, but that puts you squarely into 3 row crossover length (MDX is 6 inches longer). Best bet might have been the previous generation Pilot, which is actually shorter than the Outback but has 47 cu.ft. of cargo space behind the 2nd rows thanks to its boxy design.

I really wish Subaru, or Mazda for that matter, made a tweener suv beneath their 200" long 3-rowers.
Subaru does make one; it's called the Outback. Forester is 182, Outback is 190, Ascent is 196. Sounds like a tweener to me.

Sarlacc 04-18-2019 12:03 AM

My mother's lease on her Lexus NX is up in Nov and she wanted to test drive some cars. She doesnt like driving "big" SUVs but likes to sit up high. Well, she decided she wanted to try the Subie Ascent knowing its bigger. She was shocked how "small" it felt while driving. Had plenty of power, turn radius was impressive, handling was great. I drove it, too, and I was very impressed. Its now her frontrunner for a replacement lease. She also liked the Mazda CX9 a lot and felt it, too, drove much smaller than it is.

00TL-P3.2 04-18-2019 09:51 AM

:nod: I can agree on the CX9, to echo the above & :chief: definitely doesn't drive like the 3-row hauler it is.

I'd imagine the Ascent wouldn't drive too much differently than the new Outback XT, but the Ascent is nearly a foot longer than the Outback, and likely wider I'd think.

2Blueyam 04-18-2019 10:23 AM

The closest you might get would be a Ford Transit Connect Passenger Wagon (SWB - 5 passenger model). The fully loaded Titanium model is only $31k. It has 47 cu ft behind the second row, I am pretty sure the "car like" handling will be missing. If you want to keep the exterior small, the 5 passenger SWB is only 174.2 inches long so even smaller than the OB.