the manager of a brake/muffler place has hell to pay

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:36 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the manager of a brake/muffler place has hell to pay

RANT:
oKay about 6 months ago I took my Accord over to a local Monro Muffler and Brake. Only reason I took it to them is because I really really needed brakes(all 4) and 2 rotors on my Accord and they were a little cheaper than Honda(like 150 on an estimate) so I'm like as long as it works I don't really care:
So about August or September I take it in. They replace the front 2 rotors and 4 pads. came to 550 bucks.(which i didn't mind)
Paid for it went home drove it for 2-3 weeks. then it starts "hopping" in the pedal.
so I take it back to Monro that did it. explained to them what was going on. They turned the rotors( which I concidered odd because I had OEM rotors on it before and I didn't turn them until about 60,000-70,000 miles were on them.) so I thought whatever man. they didn't charge me.
drove it about 3-4 more months It starts the same crap over again. So I take it to a Honda certified mechanic.(because they we're doing something wrong). Here to find out after only about 6000 miles after turning the rotors they were with in 1 mm of being "shot"(according to Honda). Plus he put my back pads on backwards(it says all this on the work detail on Honda's printout).
So I go over there about a month later.(because it quit for awhile) I said to the manager. I have evidence right here on the paper you failed to do the job correctly. He said "Oh that isn't a big deal just the 'squeeler pad' won't squeel." I said "I got a bigger thing sir, why is my rotors down to 1 mm needing replaced when about 4 months ago they were BRAND NEW." (the old set lasted over 250,000 miles) He said "Oh Honda probably measured them wrong.(keep in mind at the Honda shop I went to all they work on is Hondas ALL DAY. they specialize in Hondas). He said if you're so confident about you're rotors are shot let me look at em. I said "the only way your looking at the car is if you promise to do it right." he said "yeah I promise I do it right." they got a mechanic there that looks like he has an IQ of a monkey on his best days. So he basically called Honda's specs Bull crap. but he replaced the rotors free.
Now this last weekend. my brakes are squeeling like hell. when I push on them pretty good. I called him up and said "my brakes are squeeling" he said "no problem we'll slap a new set of pads on it for you." well little does he know he's that I'm gonna demand my money back. It hasn't been right since I got them. He's gonna fight me kicking and screaming but he's done crappy job with it.
I know he'll want to put new pads on it but I've gave him 3 chances to make it right and he's failed all 3 times.
bottom line: DON'T GO TO MONRO MUFFLER AND BRAKE they'll screw you guys over.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:40 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Midas/Tuffy/Monro/any large auto repair place is usually pretty bad. They prey on people and usually do crappy work. There are exceptions of course, but you have to REALLY be careful with who works on your car. Check out the shop and ask if you can meet & talk to the guy working on your car. My gf took her Maxima to the local Midas to have the rotors turned and they did a fine job, but I talked to the mechanic and asked the mgr to see his ASE cert.

IMO just replace them yourself. Take it as a lesson learned and replace the rotors with some good aftermaarket ones, and some new OEM pads (or a perf pad if you like). Brakes are easy, just take your time and have some basic hand tools.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to a Midas and they did a pretty good job with my exhaust considering almost the whole downpipe was shot..I was pretty satisfied with the work...depends on where you go I guess..
Old 02-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Don't ever go to those shops liek Speedy/Midas, etc...
Old 02-28-2005, 02:03 PM
go like hell

Originally Posted by jtkz13
Midas/Tuffy/Monro/any large auto repair place is usually pretty bad. They prey on people and usually do crappy work. There are exceptions of course, but you have to REALLY be careful with who works on your car. Check out the shop and ask if you can meet & talk to the guy working on your car. My gf took her Maxima to the local Midas to have the rotors turned and they did a fine job, but I talked to the mechanic and asked the mgr to see his ASE cert.

IMO just replace them yourself. Take it as a lesson learned and replace the rotors with some good aftermaarket ones, and some new OEM pads (or a perf pad if you like). Brakes are easy, just take your time and have some basic hand tools.
the thing is I know how to do it because dad and I did brakes on mom's Odysee just the thing is I don't like doing rotors(because brakes are important to stop ) the other reason I want to stick it to Monro is they kept on screwing around with me.
I've been patient with them. I've tried to work with them.
They kept on saying Bendix pads and rotors are as good as Honda OEM pads/rotors. That's why I keep eating right through them.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

i remember the old thread....

as long as he is trying to rectify the problem, I do not see how they will fix them for free and give you back all of your money...

good luck.. keep us posted.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 PM
go like hell

I called him up last night.
He's an idiot.
#1. he won't service them on a wet or snowy day because it's normal for them to squeel on those days
#2. he's saying their probably crap in the brake lines so it's causing them to squeel. (which is B.S.) because only like 40-50k ago i cleaned the brake system.
#3. He said this is the first Honda he's had have all this problem.(if you read later this is why he's lieing)
He kept on saying I don't know what more I can do other than fix it. I said give me my money back. he said i'm sure not doing that.
the thing is I talked with my dad he used to have a Civic and he bought Napa brakes for it when it needed a brake job. they squeeled and sounded like sh!t. well he went got Honda brakes and it was fine. Honda brakes makes their with some kind of special compound that made to work with their rotors. so if you don't use them their noisy.