The little Japanese engine that sat ... and sat ... and sat.... (What wouldja do?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The little Japanese engine that sat ... and sat ... and sat.... (What wouldja do?)

This is not specifically TSX-related, but I'm asking of my Gen1 comrades, as it's a similar engine in question (I4, VVT-i, Toyota's flavor of VTEC).

Just bought my sweetie a 2001 Corolla with an unusual mileage ... 46,000. From the Carfax, it entered service in April, 2001, accrued only 11,325 miles by July, 2002, then after spending 3 years, 8 months in Kill Devil Hills (maybe), it only had added about 7600 miles by July, 2006. Yes. You read that right. I was driven roughly 1900 miles a year. ... It was then driven heavily for a year (18,000 miles), then was entrusted to another LOL who drove it Sundays. The seller bought it for his wife at Christmas, 2007, and since then it's only accrued about 1500 miles in 13 months.

Lots of service records indicate regular servicing by last 3 owners. (Last two owners were LOLs, and the last, the seller "bought it for the wife, she didn't like it, so it's pretty much sat here." He's pissed that he's losing $400 on the car in 14 months. I didn't offer Kleenex.)

The Question:

A car that has been driven minimally in the last 14 months has got to need a nice dino oil change immediately, I presume, followed in about 3000 miles (and a fuel injector cleaner treatment once or twice) with some fresh (synth) oil. What else would you change out? Brake fluid (flush and refill)? Tranny oils ought to be fine, right?

I'm open to suggestions. Just some quick searching online indicates that this can modded a bit to improve power, and just on inspection, I was intrigued by this engine (gf found that this engine was intro'ed in 2001 MY, and performance/economy improved).

In other news a 2009 TSX parked next to me at a Thai restaurant, so got to look around one for the 1st time. ... Nice seats.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Hmm, an 01 with that few miles on it is a rare find indeed. In addition to an oil change and fuel injector cleaning, I'd probably do a good TB cleaning (with a spray can and toothbrush if possible.) The reason I say use the spray and toothbrush is that I've known a few people with 01 - 03 Corollas that have had problems with gunk accumulating around the butterfly. I'd look through the maintenance records and see if its had a tranny flush done in the last 3 years or so. If not, I'd probably do that. And I'd definitely do a coolant flush and hose inspection. Reason I say that is that if its only been driving 1500 miles in 13 months, chances are the coolant has been doing a lot of sitting in the bottom of the radiator and gunking up.

On a side note, how's the interior? Rattles? Cracks? I've not been all that impressed with how those cars age, but I know there's exceptions to every rule. And not all of my friends take as good a care of their vehicles as I do.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
seafoam it!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
As you mentioned, an oil change is certainly required. At the current age, I would also change the coolant (make sure no pets are around). If the car has been sitting for extended periods as you claim, the brake fluid will probably need to be changed. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and thus attracts any type of moisture and most likely the fluid in your car has been contaminated. Visually check the transmission fluid. If it appears to be good I wouldn't be worried about it. I would, however, definitely change the fuel filter.

Other items such as belts should be checked and replaced if need be. Same as for items such as hoses and clamps. Other than that it should be fine. I'm sure as the car accrues more mileage you may find other items that need to be serviced, but I would replace them as warranted.

Terry
Old 02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
what terry said^
Old 02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
toyotas are solid cars... i have had a 94, 97, and now my other half drives an 07 as seen in my sig... i would suggest changing all the fluids just to be safe... the tranny fluid is a lifetime fill on 'regular' usage, but it wouldn't hurt to change it out... and fluid changes are probably the cheapest peace of mind you can have... i think even on that gen you have a timing chain too... so don't think you need to do belts in the future...

i am on toyotanation.com ... it is a great forum, not as good as AZ of course but you can find alot of people that have modded their cars there....
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dallison
what terry said^
terry is the man!!! he knows his stuff... thanks again on all your help with the GM...
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks guys ... maybe moving to Car Talk was a good thing after all (I flipped a coin). Appreciate the suggestions, you guys mentioned things that I would've "figured were okay," but from your reasoning, yeah, lots of fluid changes are pretty simple and will act to "clean" the parts.

BTW, we didn't collect the car, only put it on hold with a check.

The seller is a crusty ol' coot (I said so from our phone conversation, gf didn't believe me, but after we left, I said, "okay, I said, survey said...?!" and she nodded) who refused to let me take the car to a shop for a look-over, even with a $600 check in his hands. "I've worked on this car and everything's fine with it." So I spent a good ten minutes eyeballing the engine. Serpentine belt looks great. Hoses and clamps, nothing looked very old or worn. All fluid reservoirs were clean (outside) and topped off. Still, when we pick it up Wednesday (funds available for a cashier's check), I've ordered gf to take to a shop for fluids and inspection immediately, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Unfortunately, we found out this morning that some subset of the 2001, 2002 Corollas had a "K75N" series of engine with a known problem with the valve ring size "mismatch" or something ... resulting in significant oil loss starting around 60,000 miles. In the 3-speed auto (which this CE is), highway driving aggravates it. Typical remedy: engine rebuild. Preventative maintenance: oil changed religiously at 3000 miles, and limited time above 60 MPH. She wondered if we could cancel the deal....

I don't know what this engine is ... but I reassured gf that even IF this one is that engine, even IF this problem would develop in 14,000 miles ... as little as she drives, she could resell it with still-low mileage in a year and maybe even not lose money. We'll see. Any anecdotes on problems that like are welcome.

As to the interior, it's nicer than a '99 I saw earlier that day. Partly due to a couple of LOL owners. Faint smell of smoke in there, the ashtray had been cleaned, but not washed out if you know whut'll mean. The arm rests and shifter had significant dirt buildup, and I imagine ArmorAll wipes will come off most surfaces yellow. But things like a shifter and armrests can be pulled off and scrubbed in a sink, replaced cheaply if need be. A bit of window molding that's peeling will take 30 seconds to re-glue. Upholstery is nice save one small rip. Otherwise clean inside. Outside ... pretty teal/metallic paint job, clear coat peeling/worn on 6" spot of rear bumper cover, pin striping has been lost but left trace adhesive, but what really sold me ... NO COLLISION evidence whatsoever. It appears to have never scrapped or crunched at all. All body panels in great shape.

BTW, anyone know where the fuel filter IS? I used to do my own on my Jeep, it was right up top, left side, hardly got your hands dirty changing it.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread explains a lot about that situation with some Toyota 1ZZFE four-cylinders.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...=244065&page=3

My personal advice is the same as above, replace fluids (coolant, oil, brake)....and get that engine a compression test to see if its one of the "bad ones". That only costs $20 bucks or so at a good local shop.

Last edited by TheMirror; 02-16-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheMirror
This thread explains a lot about that situation with some Toyota 1ZZFE four-cylinders.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...=244065&page=3

My personal advice is the same as above, replace fluids (coolant, oil, brake)....and get that engine a compression test to see if its one of the "bad ones". That only costs $20 bucks or so at a good local shop.
That's probably the very thread that my gf found Sunday ... then decided that we're going to reneg on the deal. (Bad karma, I know I know, but the seller was being pretty hard to please even while talking it over Saturday. Refused to let the car be examined by a mechanic; demanded cash only; asked if he was satisifed answered, "no I'm NOT happy, I got $6200 in this car, that's what I wanted." Senior citizen crybaby, not a pretty sight.) I could've gone back to inspect the engine serial # (for the dreaded K75N), but instead we've found a sa-WEET seven year old Echo with only 20K miles (I know, ) , snatched that bugger up quick, and a coworker will likely buy this Corolla. Sounds like if you treat the 1ZZ-FE well, it won't go bad on you too fast, too hard.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
what dallison said
Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

i guess that means you won't need to know how to replace the fuel filter anymore... but it is a pain to get to... need a lift to get to it from the bottom and a pretty long extension to get to the bolts...

congrats on the echo... they are pre yaris models...