Is knowing how to drive stick in America still essential?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by SimonCL-S6
If you want to DRIVE a car- manual transmission
If you want to RIDE your car- automatic transmission

With manual you not only get more of a feel for the car, but overall better feel for driving. Never owned and auto and never will, living in the UK now, RHD+manual is pretty sick lol there might be a toyota ft86 in my near future
I was reading this topic on my express bus commute home Friday night and I'm thinking the word 'OPERATE' is the most applicable term to use with regard to the auto tranny.

(NOTE: I derived the term 'operate' from the 'DO NOT TALK TO OPERATOR WHILE BUS IS IN MOTION' placard at the front of the bus I was on.)
Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
manual is more fun to drive cause you get to do crap. It won't move unless you make it move.
I do agree that the MPG advantage is a think of the past. My buddy's auto TL gets the same if not better mpg than me more regularly.
I dunno about now, but cost used to be SLIGHTLY lower compared to the automatics, but maintenance wise, I think it costs more to own a manual.
Depending on where you are and how you drive you might be swapping out tranny fluid more often and possibly differential fluid.
Not that I recommend it, but in an auto, you could leave the tranny fluid alone for a VERY LONG time, without any real adverse consequences.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
The sad reality of manual transmissions (and driving in general) is stated very well in this article: "You have to want to play golf to go take a golf lesson."

In my experience, I had almost no motivation to pursue driving as something more than a transportation exercise, let alone attempt driving a car with a manual transmission. When my parents tried to explain it could be fun, I would think "Why is adding difficulty to driving any fun?"

Luckily for me, after a good amount of practice, I finally found out why driving a manual equipped car is fun. Not only do you get a better feel for the car as well as the added fun factor, but you also gradually understand how the car works and respect it for its mechanical complexity. Additionally, driving a manual can be a very rewarding experience if you challenge yourself to shift just a tad smoother, or a second faster. Or, for example, try to teach yourself heel and toe downshifting.

The lack of motivation to try something different is the fundamental problem with manual transmissions, and it really is a shame too. In my opinion, a lot of people don't realize what they're missing out on.

(Of course, there are other circumstances that prevent drivers from learning to drive MT, such as not having a MT car in the family. This is another reality that must be considered when you try to tell other drivers they should learn to operate MT.)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,477 Likes on 934 Posts
I wish I had the chance to drive a MT when I was getting my driver's license, but my family didn't own any MT cars.

I had to learn when I was 18 or so from a friend that taught me. After that, I have the utmost respect for it. There's nothing like being directly connected to the vehicle you are manipulating.

I'm about to purchase my first MT car. With that being said - it is damn difficult to find a new '12 6MT TL. My salesman is doing his best to find one, or it may ultimately come down to a factory order.

For instance, if you look at cars.com (disregarding any inaccuracies), only about 0.7% of all '12 TL models in the US are 6MT. It would be interesting to see the numbers off the production line.

No wonder it's so hard to find one.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
^ I believe that is due to the "luxury" nature of the car you are looking for. Acura has seen not having to shift as a "luxury" since the early '90s a la 2G Legend. Now, a sports car will have much more production of the MT due to the target audience.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
I definitely love my 6MT and I've driven manual most of my driving career. I would say it is a nice break to drive an auto sometimes but I would have to prefer all my cars to be manual. If permitted, I will buy a 6MT for everything and if I really want numbers on a track or something I'd have a dsg counter part I suppose
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
My oldest son is on his fourth car, all of which have been MT. There are cars that he absolutely likes (i.e.: M45, FX35/45, etc,...) but refused to get because they're auto only. So, he has the manual tranny bug really bad. (Even in his search for a beater car to back up his 04 350Z 6MT, he's only looking at MT cars.)

I was born and raised in NYC and learned to drive in the area. While I enjoy driving a manual, the vast majority of NYC area drivers couldn't be bothered. Some even regarding it in the same manner as roll up windows.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always wondered if my '05 6MT TL is less likely to be stolen since it's a manual - punk thief may not know how to drive one. I guess I'm out of luck if a more experienced car thief targets me though.

I was very surprised to read that by 1957 over 80% of cars were automatics. I always had the perception that the great majority of cars in the 50's were manual!

My last four cars have been manuals ('91 Corolla - my first car, 2000 Maxima, 2002 Maxima, and '05 TL). I've always hated the game dealers play: "Oh manuals are rare" so they won't deal on price as much when you buy. When you trade in "Oh, nobody wants manuals" so they won't give as much. (I know the solution is not to trade in but to sell it myself.)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza17
I've always wondered if my '05 6MT TL is less likely to be stolen since it's a manual - punk thief may not know how to drive one. I guess I'm out of luck if a more experienced car thief targets me though.

I was very surprised to read that by 1957 over 80% of cars were automatics. I always had the perception that the great majority of cars in the 50's were manual!

My last four cars have been manuals ('91 Corolla - my first car, 2000 Maxima, 2002 Maxima, and '05 TL). I've always hated the game dealers play: "Oh manuals are rare" so they won't deal on price as much when you buy. When you trade in "Oh, nobody wants manuals" so they won't give as much. (I know the solution is not to trade in but to sell it myself.)
Actually I heard this through someone else and didn't look up the story for the facts, but a car thief tried to steal a car but couldn't drive a stick so the owner dopped him off where he needed to go.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I learned how to drive in a 5-speed manual Toyota Corolla wagon in 1976. My first car was a 1979 Plymouth Horizon with a stick. I feel fortunate to have learned how to drive in that Toyota. You never know when you'll run across a manual (like renting a U-Haul?) and it's nice to know how to drive one.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I like manuals on low powered cars, you get more out of them with a manual.

I took my driving test at 16 in a manual. The DMV employee thought I was nuts. He asked me twice if I was sure I wanted to take the test in a manual trans car.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It is an extremely handy skill if you ever travel outside of the Americas (not sure about SA), when I go to the UK the rental car is massively cheaper in MT.

I love my 6MT though in my TSX. It is fun, gives me something to do, I have a lot more control over the car, and it keeps me awake while commuting through the horrible traffic I am forced to drive in every morning. The MPG isn't too bad either
Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had an MT on every car I've owned, but I'm selling my TSX on Thursday and can't wait to have an autmoatic in my next vehicle, a 2012 Grand Cherokee. The amount of time I spend in gridlocked I95 commute traffic makes me long for the new truck already. Having to clutch in daily rush hour situations is just obnoxious by this point (I was originally able to justify it as, "I like having something to do!"). Some day I'll have an MT weekend/fun car, but nothing that I have to commute in. It's just not fun.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,477 Likes on 934 Posts
^ I love your TSX. If you don't mind, what is your mileage and how much are you selling it for? I'm curious.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
As long as they continue to make manuals I will drive a manual.
I read no further then this statement.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

My daughter is 14 and she WILL learn how to drive a stick. She has no choice....both my cars and my wifes car are manuals.