AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   The Jetta has been living a double life (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/jetta-has-been-living-double-life-973946/)

SamDoe1 10-23-2018 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16318274)
True that...
although fire wood is heavy!

I have a crap ton of firewood already. Also, my house doesn't heat from firewood. :rofl:

Originally Posted by TylerT (Post 16318297)
More like, as an engineer you'd APPRECIATE another 90ftlb of torque. :bitelip:

There's no doubt about that. I'm in no hurry though. After driving the S2k for the past few days, the R feels like a rocketship lol.

rockstar143 10-23-2018 03:46 PM

pellets then!

Saintor 10-23-2018 06:51 PM

Got rid of that 2.0Toy *check*
Got a ZF transmission (like Acura, well somehow) *check*

Good for you.

rockstar143 10-23-2018 09:01 PM

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

kurtatx 10-23-2018 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16318703)

He has a problem with small engines. And a bigger problem with name calling.

Saintor 10-23-2018 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16318703)

Good thing... but he still doesn't get it, obviously.

ttribe 10-23-2018 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Saintor (Post 16318712)
Good thing... but he still doesn't get it, obviously.

Watch yourself. This isn't your thread and my patience with you is very thin.

kurtatx 10-23-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16318719)
Watch yourself. This isn't your thread and my patience with you is very thin.

We can share it :hug:

kurtatx 10-23-2018 09:41 PM

Anyway some additional impressions
  • Virtual Cockpit is still as good as advertised, but I mostly use it for the diagnostic display
  • The shifts are much smoother than the A4's DCT in lower revs. I don't prefer the ZF8 for spirited driving but in my regular commute it's preferable.
  • Got 30 mpgs taking my wife to the airport, which is pretty damn insane
  • The transmission belches on gear changes. I generally like the sound of it.
  • The car drives more spirited like an A4 possessed by a demon. The engine is loud and generally pleasing
  • There is definitely a bit of a lag when hitting the gas hard at low speeds, but it's not too bad.
  • Engine characteristics feel a lot more like a V8 than an 2.0T, which I am generally fine with, but it's a little bit of a change
  • The auto start/stop is too damn aggressive, but I have said that before

Flipster23 10-23-2018 10:15 PM

That tranny belch is dope!

rockstar143 10-24-2018 07:30 AM

You know what shifts like fucking butter? My Volvo...
hmmm...I guess it's not the ZF?
The Aisin AW F8FXX series is the world's first 8-speed automatic transmission designed for use ... It is also called the TG-81SC (Volvo), AF50-8 (Opel/Vauxhall) or AWF8F45 (Cadillac). ... 2015–2018 Volvo S60 II; 2015–2018 Volvo V60; 2014–present Volvo XC90 II; 2016–present Volvo S90 II; 2016–present Volvo V90 II ...

00TL-P3.2 10-24-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16318728)
  • Virtual Cockpit is still as good as advertised, but I mostly use it for the diagnostic display
  • The shifts are much smoother than the A4's DCT in lower revs. I don't prefer the ZF8 for spirited driving but in my regular commute it's preferable.
  • The car drives more spirited like an A4 possessed by a demon. The engine is loud and generally pleasing
  • There is definitely a bit of a lag when hitting the gas hard at low speeds, but it's not too bad.
  • Engine characteristics feel a lot more like a V8 than an 2.0T, which I am generally fine with, but it's a little bit of a change

Time to hit up some 2222 & Lime Creek Rd twisties.
Our B&B for the F1 race was on 2222 just outside 360, fun roads out there.

I've started disabling auto stop in mine, unless I know I'll be stationary for more than a few seconds. Just too intrusive.

kurtatx 10-24-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16318920)
Time to hit up some 2222 & Lime Creek Rd twisties.
Our B&B for the F1 race was on 2222 just outside 360, fun roads out there.

I've started disabling auto stop in mine, unless I know I'll be stationary for more than a few seconds. Just too intrusive.

Once the rain stops

rockstar143 10-24-2018 11:01 AM

I'm programmed to turn off auto off in both my work truck and Volvo...

kurtatx 10-24-2018 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16319004)
I'm programmed to turn off auto off in both my work truck and Volvo...

I turn it off so seldomly I have it on by default. I get pretty decent mileage and it definitely helps

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Flipster23 (Post 16318743)
That tranny belch is dope!

Yah but i rarely get to experience it here in LA... it is either there is never any open space or i would be going too fast without knowing it...

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16319021)
I turn it off so seldomly I have it on by default. I get pretty decent mileage and it definitely helps

I have the BMW tech disabled it permanently until he turns it back on. :rofl:

It is still unknown how much additional wear and tear that Auto/Stop Go thing would have on your engine in long term. IMO the 1 or 2 MPG you saved is not worth the risk.
You know, Audi does not care about your engine the moment the warranty expires..

rockstar143 10-24-2018 11:37 AM

I guess I should try leaving it on although Scotty Kilmer says not to

kurtatx 10-24-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16319028)
I have the BMW tech disabled it permanently until he turns it back on. :rofl:

It is still unknown how much additional wear and tear that Auto/Stop Go thing would have on your engine in long term. IMO the 1 or 2 MPG you saved is not worth the risk.
You know, Audi does not care about your engine the moment the warranty expires..

They don't design start/stop engines the same. They're rated for a lot more starts and stops over a lifetime (some quotes suggest 10 times as many starts and stops).

Depends if you believe this source is real

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...r-cars-starter

(1) The gear ratio from the starter-drive pinion to the flywheel ring gear is optimized to make the starter's motor turn more slowly. This can be done without materially changing the design of the transmission or flywheel at all on existing designs.

Crucially, this reduces starter-motor speed (in RPM), since 90 percent of starter-motor brush wear occurs not during cranking, but during the coast-down after the start has finished. If a higher-torque motor can spin more slowly, its coast-down time is shorter, increasing its longevity.

(2) The composition of the carbon and copper brushes on a start-stop motor differs from its traditional counterparts to increase longevity without accelerating the wear on the commutator.

(3) Rather than rely on oil-impregnated bushings for the rotating assemblies, start-stop starters mostly use needle bearings.

(4) The solenoid on start-stop starters decouples the mechanical action of engaging the drive pinion into the flywheel from the electrical action of stopping and starting the motor.

This allows for a dedicated design to turn power on and off to the motor, optimizing contact design and wear, against contacts that have to be integrated as part of a spring-loaded plunger.

This also reduces the electrical load requires to turn the engine, so that there is enough current available for accessories/lighting to operate during the start event.

(5) Finally, start-stop motors are integrated with other technologies that identify when each cylinder of the engine will reach top-dead center.

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 12:16 PM

I can identify so many loop holes in that report. I still believe only time will tell. But even when there is issue down the road, how can we relate those issues with Start/Stop is another issue by itself.

Just to name a few: That report is obviously biased... since they are a Green report, they are for all things "green"

2nd. Even if i believe this is true, then all Honda engines are going to be dead a lot sooner

If a higher-torque motor can spin more slowly, its coast-down time is shorter, increasing its longevity.

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 12:25 PM

I am no engine expert.. but for what it's worth here is what i googled :D

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-car-s-engine

Disadvantages of stop-start technology:

Does stop-start wear out my engine?

When it comes to durability and long life, all the bases relating to the starter gear itself should be covered, but the higher number of stop-start cycles lead to increased engine wear unless steps are taken to prevent it.

“A normal car without automatic stop-start can be expected to go through up to 50,000 stop-start events during its lifetime,” says Gerhard Arnold, who is responsible for bearing design at Federal Mogul.

“But with automatic stop-start being activated every time the car comes to a standstill, the figure rises dramatically, perhaps to as many as 500,000 stop-start cycles over the engine’s life.”

That’s a big jump and one that poses major challenges to the durability and life of the engine’s bearings.

A fundamental component of the engine and also one of the heaviest is the crankshaft. It’s supported as it spins by a number of precision ground journals along its length running in ‘plain’ main bearings (no ball bearings or rollers, just smooth metal). These are the main bearings and the effect is greater on the bearing at the back of the engine immediately adjacent to the starter motor.

When the engine is running, the crankshaft and main bearing surfaces don’t actually touch, but are separated by a super-thin film of oil, fed under pressure and pumped around the bearing surfaces by the action of the spinning crankshaft. This process is called ‘hydrodynamic lubrication’ but when the engine stops, the crank settles onto the bearing, the two metal surfaces coming into contact.

How rust helps to prevent wear

When the engine starts, there’s a point before the two surfaces become separated by the oil film called the ‘boundary condition’, where the crankshaft is spinning, but there’s metal-to-metal contact between the bearing surfaces.

This is when most wear takes place. Fitting stop-start means the boundary condition (and metal-to-metal contact) could exist perhaps 500,000 times in the life of the engine instead of 50,000 and normal bearings would wear out long before that.

Two things prevent that happening. The first is that bearing manufacturers are developing new bearing material with greater self-lubricating properties to resist wear on start-up.

Federal Mogul has developed a new material called Irox with a polymer coating containing particles of iron oxide (rust), which in this microscopic form is surprisingly slippery.

In fact it’s so slippery that the coefficient of friction of an Irox bearing is 50 per cent lower than a conventional aluminium bearing and will easily last the life of an engine equipped with stop-start.

Low friction oils help prolong engine life

The second is improvements in lubricating oils. A modern engine oil contains an additive package comprising a complex chemical cocktail. The technical director of UK company, Millers Oils, Martyn Mann, says the formulation of these packages are critical: “We’ve reduced friction with our oils and improved durability of the oil film and we think that has to be the way forward with stop-start systems.”

Millers began researching low-friction oils in its laboratories back in 2006. “We put a formulation together, tested it on a friction rig and found we could reduce the sliding friction between typical components like pistons and liners by 50 percent,” says Mann.

stop-start systems.”

Millers began researching low-friction oils in its laboratories back in 2006. “We put a formulation together, tested it on a friction rig and found we could reduce the sliding friction between typical components like pistons and liners by 50 percent,” says Mann.

Generally, this reduces heat, power loss, fuel consumption and wear but Miller’s new triple ester nano-technology, known as Nanodrive, goes further. Tiny nano-particles like microscopic ball bearings exfoliate under high pressure, the polymer ‘flakes’ adhering to the engine surfaces.

So far the technology is available only in Miller’s high-end racing oils, but in relation to stop-start, it could also reduce wear during each re-start when the most wear takes place.

With low-friction bearing and lubrication technology in place the potential threat to engine life by stop-start systems should theoretically be overcome. But the current technology is still relatively new and only time will tell whether every car manufacturer has got it right.

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 12:32 PM

But obviously that is not the reason why i disabled mine. You know... BMW drivers needs every .01 sec to beat everyone off the line at the light.... Auto/Stop just get in my way. :rofl:

rockstar143 10-24-2018 12:42 PM

especially with drive by wire and turbo lag :annoyed:

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 01:08 PM

Actually, with a combination of Sport+ and the Sport Auto.... off the line is not an issue. If anything it is too sensitive and jumpy......
I usually experience the "Hurry the fuck up, where is the power?" type of turbo lag when i go from cruising to pedal to the metal... that is when NOTHING happens :rofl:

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 01:13 PM

I think when Yumcha get his... you Ass 4s could get together and have a cuck party

rockstar143 10-24-2018 01:17 PM

Funny, now that you mention it, when I do something called DTSC Off and Sport mode, she moves alright...there's even a little extra tap of the gas at the very end that UNLEASHES an extra 10 ft/lb supposedly :rofl:

rockstar143 10-24-2018 01:17 PM

in my EB F150...it's a pig unless I'm in sport mode...

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 01:30 PM

From what i heard... every car's sport mode feels different. I heard Lexus's does nothing :D

Have not had the chance to try the new Audi's Turbo yet.... does your brown A3 have sport mode? :D

Wait, you also got an F150? how many cars are you hording now?

rockstar143 10-24-2018 01:43 PM

LOL...F150 is my work truck, it's a '16 I've been driving for 2.5 years now.
A3 is Manual but I will say for a little 2.0t it's a peppy little turd! Especially when I pulled the catalytic off and opened up the exhaust some.

JT4 10-24-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16318728)

Do you feel the lag even when the trans is in sport mode? Now granted your S4 is turbocharged and my Q7 is supercharged, but I feel a very slight lag/hesitation on the Q7 when the trans is in "D", when it's in "S" it's a totally different animal. No lag and it moves!

I'm sure you know this. But besides the button on the dash, just keep it in Dynamic mode and it will disable the start / stop.. Problem solved..LOL

00TL-P3.2 10-24-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16318979)
Once the rain stops

:spanky: You gots quattro, foo!
Even with hooning up/down 2222 & City Park Rd, and lots of idling to get in/out of COTA, I still averaged 27mpg round trip.

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 02:29 PM

I dont know how you guys get 27... 30mpg... i get 20.2 and that is with 80% freeway..... with average speed of 20mph.

TacoBello 10-24-2018 02:31 PM

You keep forgetting to put your car in helicopter mode and flying over all the traffic jams :2cents:

kurtatx 10-24-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by JT4 (Post 16319156)
Do you feel the lag even when the trans is in sport mode? Now granted your S4 is turbocharged and my Q7 is supercharged, but I feel a very slight lag/hesitation on the Q7 when the trans is in "D", when it's in "S" it's a totally different animal. No lag and it moves!

I'm sure you know this. But besides the button on the dash, just keep it in Dynamic mode and it will disable the start / stop.. Problem solved..LOL

I don't drive around in dynamic that often, but no. Definitely don't feel it then. I tend to drive around with auto which is somewhere between zombie and arrested.

kurtatx 10-24-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16319191)
I dont know how you guys get 27... 30mpg... i get 20.2 and that is with 80% freeway..... with average speed of 20mph.

Yeah, my wife was asked if she was interested in a job in LA.

No, she's not

00TL-P3.2 10-24-2018 02:50 PM

2.0Toy :co: :smug:

JT4 10-24-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16319214)
I don't drive around in dynamic that often, but no. Definitely don't feel it then. I tend to drive around with auto which is somewhere between zombie and arrested.

Even if driving in Auto but with the trans in "S" you probably won't feel the lag. Regardless of the drive mode I'm in, the only time I drive in "D" is either at cruising speed on the highway or when in bumper to bumper traffic..

SamDoe1 10-24-2018 03:38 PM

2.0L motor off boost is pretty economical. :)

I get 33-35 just cruising on the highway. If you really hoon it, you'll be in the teens pretty easily.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16319136)
From what i heard... every car's sport mode feels different. I heard Lexus's does nothing :D

Have not had the chance to try the new Audi's Turbo yet.... does your brown A3 have sport mode? :D

Wait, you also got an F150? how many cars are you hording now?

The drive modes on the Golf are pretty discernible.
Eco: Car is totally neutered. Shifts before 3.5k rpm, lazy throttle response, 90's era gear changes, no juice.
Comfort: Little more power but still lazy throttle and the suspension is at old Caddy levels with less wafting. Gear changes are pretty lazy still.
Normal: What I typically use, good power, still comfortable, normal throttle, quick but not rapid gear changes
Race: Razor sharp throttle, DSG will slam gears in with the awesome DSG farts, suspension is noticeably stiffer, exhaust louder, etc.
Individual: Whatever combination of the above you want.

SHYUperman 10-24-2018 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JT4 (Post 16319156)

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16319214)

When my wife had her S4, we would get around 27mpg during long trips in dynamic mode and average around 24mpg around town (even with me driving it with a heavy foot). I agree that the auto start/stop is too aggressive, it definitely took some time to get used to it. Whenever I had passengers, they would think the engine stalled, though it did randomly stall once in reverse.

I rarely shifted it in "S" mode in the S4, dynamic was pretty good, but it's a different animal when in S mode. Now with wife's SQ5, I only drive in S mode, D mode just doesn't cut it. I think the S4 really spoiled my driving experience with any future Audi my wife gets.

Do you have the Sport seats or S sport seats?

oonowindoo 10-24-2018 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 16319195)
You keep forgetting to put your car in helicopter mode and flying over all the traffic jams :2cents:

I think you are confusing my car with Tesla...