Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

The Jetta has been living a double life

Notices

The Jetta has been living a double life

 
Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM
  #41  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,781
Received 2,587 Likes on 1,810 Posts
I turned mine off since the very first time i got into the car and it has been off since. Forgot it is even there. If i wanted to save 0.5 mpg, i would just go easy on my gas pedal for 1 minute. It is much easier.
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 PM
  #42  
Lucky Enzo!
Thread Starter
 
kurtatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,096
Received 1,244 Likes on 871 Posts

kurtatx is online now  
The following 7 users liked this post by kurtatx:
00TL-P3.2 (10-15-2018), 1killercls (10-17-2018), Curious3GTL (10-19-2018), JT4 (10-13-2018), rockstar143 (10-18-2018), TacoBello (10-17-2018), Yumcha (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:53 AM
  #43  
Registered Member
 
SVTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 191
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Very nice...have a B8.5 myself. Course, I have a Jetta too, which is why I clicked here (not upset at all though)

Any plans for it?
SVTour is offline  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:18 AM
  #44  
Lucky Enzo!
Thread Starter
 
kurtatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,096
Received 1,244 Likes on 871 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTour View Post
Very nice...have a B8.5 myself. Course, I have a Jetta too, which is why I clicked here (not upset at all though)

Any plans for it?
The only imminent thing is either Audi logo or Audi Sport logo puddle lights
kurtatx is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 04:45 PM
  #45  
Registered Member
 
SVTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 191
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx View Post
The only imminent thing is either Audi logo or Audi Sport logo puddle lights
There's so much more than just puddle lights...


But, truth be told though- I went with the S4 logo...liked these the best. I will tell you, buy extras - your drivers side door will start to fade and get a halo around 6-9 months. For the most part, the rest of them will last...just the drivers side.


SVTour is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 07:47 PM
  #46  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,647
Received 343 Likes on 305 Posts
Cool!!!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 08:19 PM
  #47  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 147,254
Received 15,156 Likes on 9,406 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx View Post
The only imminent thing is either Audi logo or Audi Sport logo puddle lights
You can get either the Audi or quattro logos for cars now...? I think I have the Audi logo puddles for the S5.
Yumcha is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 PM
  #48  
Lucky Enzo!
Thread Starter
 
kurtatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,096
Received 1,244 Likes on 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha View Post
You can get either the Audi or quattro logos for cars now...? I think I have the Audi logo puddles for the S5.
They make a bunch but the only official Audi ones are like $200 for a set.

I might just go OEM rings .
kurtatx is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 08:57 PM
  #49  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 147,254
Received 15,156 Likes on 9,406 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx View Post
They make a bunch but the only official Audi ones are like $200 for a set.

I might just go OEM rings .
Ah okay. I think mine were toss-ins as part of the negotiations.
Yumcha is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 09:24 PM
  #50  
Excels at nothing
 
svtmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Age: 54
Posts: 36,119
Received 2,835 Likes on 1,548 Posts
My stealership is running a special on black rings front and rear... only $299 installed.

My feeling on the puddle lights is I want them to light up puddles.
svtmike is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 PM
  #51  
Lucky Enzo!
Thread Starter
 
kurtatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,096
Received 1,244 Likes on 871 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
My stealership is running a special on black rings front and rear... only $299 installed.

My feeling on the puddle lights is I want them to light up puddles.
Yeah. Honestly, you can find them for about $130 and they only take a small flat head screwdriver to install, but you're right. I'm really in no hurry to get them.
kurtatx is online now  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:32 PM
  #52  
FOUR RINGS
 
1killercls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dunedin, Fla.
Posts: 43,206
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Jelly.
1killercls is online now  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:19 PM
  #53  
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34,806
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,730 Posts
Pulled some rockstar143 type shit.
Flipster23 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Flipster23:
kurtatx (10-18-2018), rockstar143 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM
  #54  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,781
Received 2,587 Likes on 1,810 Posts
My friend at BMW gave me 2 sets of those and i gave them back to him. It is just too much of a show off to me. That is just me.
oonowindoo is online now  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 05:24 PM
  #55  
Mi Boosta
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,832
Received 1,651 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Money is better spent on more vrooms
TylerT is online now  
Old 10-17-2018, 05:41 PM
  #56  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
I’m not much of a fan of them either. Sometimes I want to get in my car and take off with out alerting everyone around. So much for being low key, in that regard

I mean, if they were already on the car, all good. But to spend that much for them, otherwise... ehhhhh...
TacoBello is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 06:29 PM
  #57  
Registered Member
 
SVTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 191
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
These are 14 bucks on ebay...why pay any more?

SVTour is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 AM
  #58  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
For quality.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 AM
  #59  
Lucky Enzo!
Thread Starter
 
kurtatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,096
Received 1,244 Likes on 871 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTour View Post
These are 14 bucks on ebay...why pay any more?
I'm quoting this mostly because the dog in your picture is beautiful
kurtatx is online now  
Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 AM
  #60  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,673
Received 15,081 Likes on 11,229 Posts
Wow Kurt...
you rock, man.

Thanks Kev.

Nice choice...
S4 Manny is still on my radar for the future. Great all around car.
rockstar143 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 PM
  #61  
Registered Member
 
SVTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 191
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx View Post
I'm quoting this mostly because the dog in your picture is beautiful
Thanks...my white shepherd looks even better (but that's the wife's dog). I'll need to post some pics in the pets thread.
SVTour is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 PM
  #62  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,673
Received 15,081 Likes on 11,229 Posts
It don't matter if you're black or white, man
rockstar143 is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 10:06 AM
  #63  
iWhine S/C 6MT TL
iTrader: (1)
 
04WDPSeDaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 4,265
Received 1,032 Likes on 578 Posts
Congrats!
04WDPSeDaN is online now  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 AM
  #64  
Mi Boosta
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,832
Received 1,651 Likes on 1,014 Posts
So ...........................


Tuned yet?
TylerT is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM
  #65  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,781
Received 2,587 Likes on 1,810 Posts
Are we gonna start that? then we gotta start with Tintz -> Lowered first
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 PM
  #66  
Mi Boosta
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,832
Received 1,651 Likes on 1,014 Posts
We're just instigators / looking out for his best interests
TylerT is online now  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 02:03 PM
  #67  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
So I’ve been thinking about my own S4 aspirations. I’m now actively on the hunt. Nothing that meets my criteria, Canada wide though. I know it will take some time for something to pop up.

But... given that I’m looking for a 2016, it will still have warranty. I’m hoping in time the last year of the 6MT will hold its value better, so I don’t want to mess with the ECU. I just want to keep it untouched, as far as anyone is concerned.

Now, if I’m not mistaken, we should have JB4 available for our cars, no? It keeps the ECU completely untouched, and is connected after the ECU, if I’m not mistaken. Therefore you can remove it when taking your car to the dealership and it would not trip any ECU codes and void your warranty.... is that something you’d consider, Kurt? It doesn’t give you as much power as say a full APR tune, but, it still bumps it nicely and can accommodate some minor mods, I believe.

Personally, I think that will be the route I take. Still keeps everything appear unmolested.
TacoBello is offline  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 02:12 PM
  #68  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,673
Received 15,081 Likes on 11,229 Posts
TacoBello Contact Predatorbird
He knows all there is about what you're talking about.
rockstar143 is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
kurtatx (10-19-2018), TacoBello (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 02:18 PM
  #69  
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34,806
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,730 Posts
TacoBello Don't
Flipster23 is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 02:19 PM
  #70  
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34,806
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,730 Posts
ZL1 is the answer Taco.
Flipster23 is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 02:56 PM
  #71  
Lucky Enzo!
Thread Starter
 
kurtatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,096
Received 1,244 Likes on 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23 View Post
ZL1 is the answer Taco.
That car has bigger blind spots than Hellen Keller did
kurtatx is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
00TL-P3.2 (10-23-2018), TacoBello (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:34 PM
  #72  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23 View Post
ZL1 is the answer Taco.
I need something more practical, as it will be my DD. I enjoyed my Z, but it was the furthest thing from being practical. Iíve heard the current gen Camaros are even worse than before, when it comes to room and trunk space.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 04:03 PM
  #73  
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34,806
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,730 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post


I need something more practical, as it will be my DD. I enjoyed my Z, but it was the furthest thing from being practical. Iíve heard the current gen Camaros are even worse than before, when it comes to room and trunk space.
1) Only live once, fuck practical

2) Single man what do you need room for

3) No kids.

CTS-V

Should have bought rockstar143 V..
Flipster23 is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 04:14 PM
  #74  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,781
Received 2,587 Likes on 1,810 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
So I’ve been thinking about my own S4 aspirations. I’m now actively on the hunt. Nothing that meets my criteria, Canada wide though. I know it will take some time for something to pop up.

But... given that I’m looking for a 2016, it will still have warranty. I’m hoping in time the last year of the 6MT will hold its value better, so I don’t want to mess with the ECU. I just want to keep it untouched, as far as anyone is concerned.

Now, if I’m not mistaken, we should have JB4 available for our cars, no? It keeps the ECU completely untouched, and is connected after the ECU, if I’m not mistaken. Therefore you can remove it when taking your car to the dealership and it would not trip any ECU codes and void your warranty.... is that something you’d consider, Kurt? It doesn’t give you as much power as say a full APR tune, but, it still bumps it nicely and can accommodate some minor mods, I believe.

Personally, I think that will be the route I take. Still keeps everything appear unmolested.
You are only 50% correct. It is a plug and play kinda thing and you can remove it when you visit dealership.. but IF you blow up your engine and you want the dealership to fix it under warranty, they will tell you that you had aftermarket tuning software.
Some people say JB4 and others are 100% detectable if the dealer runs a log and some say they never had any issues. So i guess it depends on the dealer, if they want to find it, they will.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 10-19-2018 at 04:19 PM.
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 04:20 PM
  #75  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,781
Received 2,587 Likes on 1,810 Posts
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 04:37 PM
  #76  
Mi Boosta
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,832
Received 1,651 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Keep in mind, the OP in that thread money shifted his M3 and the car jumped timing / bent valves. He's already got the odds stacked against him getting a replacement engine, whether if JB4 was detected or not
TylerT is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 06:10 PM
  #77  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,781
Received 2,587 Likes on 1,810 Posts
Yah, but the fact that the dealer can find out if he had the JB4 before whether he removed it or not is what i am trying to tell Taco.

we know how dealers are, when there is no issue, they will try to act all cool and shit.... when shit goes south, you are on your own.
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:12 PM
  #78  
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34,806
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,730 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx View Post

That car has bigger blind spots than Hellen Keller did
ffs Kurt.
Flipster23 is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 03:52 AM
  #79  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23 View Post
1) Only live once, fuck practical

2) Single man what do you need room for

3) No kids.

CTS-V

Should have bought rockstar143 V..
Ill watch you buy a CTS-V first, with premium fuel costing $5.67/gal+.

and I got a Poor Tobey. That’s why I need practical.


TacoBello is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 04:05 AM
  #80  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
You are only 50% correct. It is a plug and play kinda thing and you can remove it when you visit dealership.. but IF you blow up your engine and you want the dealership to fix it under warranty, they will tell you that you had aftermarket tuning software.
Some people say JB4 and others are 100% detectable if the dealer runs a log and some say they never had any issues. So i guess it depends on the dealer, if they want to find it, they will.
shiiiet I thought it was undetectable. At least thatís what I thought I read. I just searched again and youíre right, it seems. Dammit!!
TacoBello is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Jetta has been living a double life


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.