The Jetta has been living a double life

Old 10-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
You are only 50% correct. It is a plug and play kinda thing and you can remove it when you visit dealership.. but IF you blow up your engine and you want the dealership to fix it under warranty, they will tell you that you had aftermarket tuning software.
Some people say JB4 and others are 100% detectable if the dealer runs a log and some say they never had any issues. So i guess it depends on the dealer, if they want to find it, they will.
This is correct. If you were to blow the engine, the dealer can investigate further than just the flash count and see you were running more boost. I raced my friend the other day with a manual GTI with JB4. From a roll, he got the initial jump and i slowly pulled on him. The JB4 is a pretty serious piggy-back setup that will run with OTS tunes.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
You are only 50% correct. It is a plug and play kinda thing and you can remove it when you visit dealership.. but IF you blow up your engine and you want the dealership to fix it under warranty, they will tell you that you had aftermarket tuning software.
Some people say JB4 and others are 100% detectable if the dealer runs a log and some say they never had any issues. So i guess it depends on the dealer, if they want to find it, they will.
I know I have read in multiple places that the dealership can see if you tune. Some sort of encryption is broken or something.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Adam, CTs-V is on my list along with scat pack, but then I’ve been eyeing Lifted Tundras, and other shit. But I really need a daily.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I know I have read in multiple places that the dealership can see if you tune. Some sort of encryption is broken or something.
Correctomundo. Exactly why no tune on my Audi until February 2019. Then? Stage 2.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1killercls:
kurtatx (10-22-2018), TylerT (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by 1killercls
Correctomundo. Exactly why no tune on my Audi until February 2019. Then? Stage 2.
Definitely. I have a while to wait before I can tune the S4 but I am definitely looking forward to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
1killercls (10-22-2018), TylerT (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
S4s are such good rounded cars from factory. I'm sure you're enjoying the hell out of it.

Is the turbo easily accessible in these cars? I know they aren't top mounted, but are they under the IM? Behind the motor?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yes, except for the terrible understeering Audi’s face when pushed through a corner. There’s no getting around the engine being so far forward in their cars. The sport diff helps, but doesn’t eliminate it. FWD characteristics in a car that is anything but.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by TylerT
S4s are such good rounded cars from factory. I'm sure you're enjoying the hell out of it.

Is the turbo easily accessible in these cars? I know they aren't top mounted, but are they under the IM? Behind the motor?
They're in the V in the V6.

The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
1killercls (10-22-2018), TylerT (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Turd Polisher

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Yes, except for the terrible understeering Audi’s face when pushed through a corner. There’s no getting around the engine being so far forward in their cars. The sport diff helps, but doesn’t eliminate it. FWD characteristics in a car that is anything but.
Yeah because, we're all looking for oversteer in our everyday commutes

A few years back at an autocross event, I rode in a B8 S4 with a sport differential and it had no problems with some lift off oversteer / rotation. It wasn't as quick as my S2000, but it certainly wasn't far behind - like any Audi, you definitely need to adapt your driving style ... it'll never be like a knife edge M3 / something with RWD / LSD.

I feel like most owners who decide on actually buying an S4, they want a comfortable highway rocket .. you know, where you spend 99% of your time.

The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts

Adam's post sounded like someone that read a lot of online reviews on it and didn't have a lot of Audi experience.
I am not sure about all that stuff but I can tell you I am pretty sure my A3 would handle exceptionally well around curves...oddly enough.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 AM
Turd Polisher

They're in the V in the V6.

Well, that's convenient AF

That doesn't not seem hard to replace or modify.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143

Adam's post sounded like someone that read a lot of online reviews on it and didn't have a lot of Audi experience.
I am not sure about all that stuff but I can tell you I am pretty sure my A3 would handle exceptionally well around curves...oddly enough.
yeah, so?!

Let me state for the record I am a big fan of the S4. Of any S4, for that matter. But let’s not pretend like it is God’s Gift to the automotive world. It does have some inherent short comings, like any vehicle does. I’ve never been one about all out speed... but I am crazy about my corners. And the constant reviews do make me ponder if I’ll ultimately be happy with it. I still need some much needed seat time before I decide one way or another.

Not sure how relevant it is comparing the A3 to the S4, though. Seems like an apples to oranges comparison. For one, the engine is smaller and lighter, making its effects on handling likely lower than an engine with two extra cylinders.

It’s not surprising more and more folk are switching from Acuras to Audis these days... they seem like the natural progression. The Audis are nicer in pretty much every regard and seem to keep the same handling characteristics that Acuras are known for. Audis are the upscale Acuras that Acura never built

Last edited by TacoBello; 10-22-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Turd Polisher

yeah, so?!

Let me state for the record I am a big fan of the S4. Of any S4, for that matter. But let’s not pretend like it is God’s Gift to the automotive world. It does have some inherent short comings, like any vehicle does. I’ve never been one about all out speed... but I am crazy about my corners. And the constant reviews do make me ponder if I’ll ultimately be happy with it. I still need some much needed seat time before I decide one way or another.

Not sure how relevant it is comparing the A3 to the S4, though. Seems like an apples to oranges comparison. For one, the engine is smaller and lighter, making its effects on handling likely lower than an engine with two extra cylinders.

It’s not surprising more and more folk are switching from Acura’s to Audi’s these days... they seem like the natural progression. The Audi’s are nicer in pretty much every regard and seem to keep the same handling characteristics that Acura’s are known for. Audi’s are the upscale Acura’s that Acura never built
Lets not forget Audi's actually make power / torque .... Acuras never did that.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM

Yeah, probably not relevant...but my only experience has been the A3 and that S5.
The S5, at the time, felt like the best driving car all around that I had ever driven. I mean, this was a
few cars ago but still...it was amazing.

Go drive one, Adam...I know you will need to get that out of your system at some point and I agree...curves are
where it's at...which really makes it suck to live in FL.
TacoBello (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

That, and they actually have a sport line up. Acura gives you shitty Aspec badges that do nothing for the car besides make it look sporty and people throw their entire paychecks at them...

“springs are 1.3% stiffer”

“OMG this car is a rocket ship now!”

Old 10-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Turd Polisher

I don't want to muddy up kurtax's thread too badly, but the big reason why Acura has fell so far behind is because they haven't introduced FI into their performance line up.

J's A3 with a downpipe & tune would make short work of a new TLX A-spec and it has far less displacement
Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

Hey, we are still whoring about Audis in here, so I say it’s fair game!

Not gonna lie... you guys have made me realize that I’m likely being too much of a tool about the handling thing. There’s no such thing as one vehicle that is great at everything. If I want a handling monster, I should just pick up another toy specifically for that. And the more I think of it... I’m far more capable pushing an understeering car than an overtseering one... I grew up driving all FWD cars. I would drive my TL harder through corners than I would my supercharged Miata or Nismo Z.

The S4 would still reign for daily purposes though. Ugh... now why won’t the right color/option package show up for sale?!
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
rockstar143 (10-22-2018), TylerT (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Turd Polisher

Hey, we are still whoring about Audis in here, so I say it’s fair game!

Not gonna lie... you guys have made me realize that I’m likely being too much of a tool about the handling thing. There’s no such thing as one vehicle that is great at everything. If I want a handling monster, I should just pick up another toy specifically for that. And the more I think of it... I’m far more capable pushing an understeering car than an overtseering one... I grew up driving all FWD cars. I would drive my TL harder through corners than I would my supercharged Miata or Nismo Z.

The S4 would still reign for daily purposes though. Ugh... now why won’t the right color/option package show up for sale?!
We all want a swiss army knife garage - a car for every occasional (Cough, J, cough).

I would love a track monster to accompany my highway missile / daily .... in due time.
rockstar143 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I dont know how but they could.

Also it is kinda obvious if they ran a log and saw either you revved higher than Un-tuned cars, or more boost or many other things that an un-tuned Automatic car would never do..

I personally would only do tuning after my warranty is up or if i dont give a shit about $$.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Yeah because, we're all looking for oversteer in our everyday commutes

A few years back at an autocross event, I rode in a B8 S4 with a sport differential and it had no problems with some lift off oversteer / rotation. It wasn't as quick as my S2000, but it certainly wasn't far behind - like any Audi, you definitely need to adapt your driving style ... it'll never be like a knife edge M3 / something with RWD / LSD.

I feel like most owners who decide on actually buying an S4, they want a comfortable highway rocket .. you know, where you spend 99% of your time.
I drive like i am delivering tofu in the AE86 every morning on my freeway onramp
Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 AM

I'm just saying sometimes people that blog have ulterior motives or skewed opinions and are comparing sniper rifle stats...meaning sure, maybe one car does it slightly better...but doesn't mean the Audi isn't the car for you and still amazing to take through corners.

One car not checking all the boxes is literally the reason I have a small fleet.
TylerT (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

I’m starting to even debate the wait to tune thing. It’s increidbly rare for a power train to fail within the warranty period. And if it does, it’s usually a well known design problem that happens across numerous cars. The S4 doesn’t seem to have any of that.

so you wait four or five years for your warranty to expire before tuning... why? If the car still has warranty and fails, it’ll cost you just as much as if the car didn’t have warranty and fails. In essence, you’re fucked either way. I wouldn’t tune a brand new car, but shiiiet, if it’s three years sold, you more than likely don’t need to worry about engine failures. And with that... wouldn’t it be better to put more boost on an engine with lower mileage, as opposed to higher mileage?

We we act like warranty is the end all be all, but really, should it be?
TylerT (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Turd Polisher

I didn't hesitate throwing double the whp over stock at 133,000 miles ...

Knock on wood, rods haven't come knocking yet
Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Turd Polisher

I drive like i am delivering tofu in the AE86 every morning on my freeway onramp

Old 10-22-2018, 11:50 AM

I think that you should enjoy the car without a tune for a bit anyway because anticipation is half the fun and it'll mean more to you than if you tune the fuck out of it and then get used to the power anyway.
Plus, the reason people wait is to not void warranty on the rest of the stuff that might not get buggered by the tune in those first 3 or 4 years.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

Stage 1 tunes are safe. Stage 2 is a bit more worrisome, but still pretty damn safe. It’s not like guys are beefing up their transmissions or rear diffs and stuff at stage 2. And again, what’s the difference? You rather dump 10k into rebuilding your car when it’s 5+ years old, or doing the same when it’s 2-3 years old? Most would argue putting that kind of money into a car that’s worth even less as it ages is not the best idea. Unless your name is TylerT but I think it’s evident there aren’t a lot of people like that around.

I agree with enjoying the car stock at first... but shit, waiting for or five years isn’t changing anything. It really is a mind fuck thing.

And again... S4 power trains and drive trains seem pretty stout. They aren’t grenading themselves like the STi engines used to. If raising boost is going to cause a failure, it’s going to happen either way and will have to be dealt with in either case anyway.

and you don’t lose your entire warranty. You lose it for whatever has been modified. In this case, yes, engine warranty is gone. There isn’t any evidence to suggest that even a stage 1 tune will cause the drivetrain to fail.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Turd Polisher

Really depends on your generation ... but, Suburus aren't known for having stout drivetrains when the power is turned up. Reliable? Yes ... but not strong.

Audi's tend to be overengineered and maybe a tad less reliable ...but I'm coming a believer. They have pretty stout transmissions / differentials / engines that you can throw power at without much worry. .

Hell, there's still 5cyl 3B / AAN engines rolling around over 200,000 miles running 25+ PSI on larger turbos than stock - I'm not really in a financial position to be looking for one, but they are tempting .. despite how ugly / old they are
Old 10-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

I’m starting to even debate the wait to tune thing. It’s increidbly rare for a power train to fail within the warranty period. And if it does, it’s usually a well known design problem that happens across numerous cars. The S4 doesn’t seem to have any of that.

so you wait four or five years for your warranty to expire before tuning... why? If the car still has warranty and fails, it’ll cost you just as much as if the car didn’t have warranty and fails. In essence, you’re fucked either way. I wouldn’t tune a brand new car, but shiiiet, if it’s three years sold, you more than likely don’t need to worry about engine failures. And with that... wouldn’t it be better to put more boost on an engine with lower mileage, as opposed to higher mileage?

We we act like warranty is the end all be all, but really, should it be?
It is your car. if you are willing to take the risk, you just have to justify the purchase to yourself.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM

lol...
don't waste any more energy pretending you're convincing us...you already made up your mind! Get your damn manual S4 and stage 2 tune it, bro! We support you!
Old 10-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Azine Jabroni

lol...
don't waste any more energy pretending you're convincing us...you already made up your mind! Get your damn manual S4 and stage 2 tune it, bro! We support you!
S club has candy
TacoBello (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 02:26 PM
GEEZER

Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM
GEEZER

I didn't hesitate throwing double the whp over stock at 133,000 miles ...

Knock on wood, rods haven't come knocking yet
My B7 A4 2.oT had 117k when I sold it. It had a Stage one tune since 38k. Never burned oil, ran like a raped ape.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:40 PM

1killerrapedape

you are allowed one name change, IIRC.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

lol...
It's pretty much a done deal, hahaha. I just have to find the right one!!!

For DD purposes, I'll just keep it stage 1 with maybe some bolt ons. It'll be by far the most powerful car I've ever owned, even at that. I also don't want to start beefing everything else up along the way also...

Modding isn't the same for me anymore as it once was. I prefer the OEM+ route for myself more these days than anything else.

Getting old sucks
Old 10-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Team Owner

At least you are OEM+. I am 100% OEM now and not only that, I actually put my front license plate on my new car, which is something i have not done since my CL days.....

Talk about getting old...
Old 10-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,812 Likes on 3,842 Posts
Remember that you can get an APR+ stage 1 tune that will retain your factory warranty. By retain I mean it'll void the warranty but APR will pick up the tab if the motor/trans/diff blows up. It does cost more but probably a good safety net. I plan on getting that for the R next year especially because the factory warranty is 6/72 bumper to bumper.

As far as tune now vs later, I'd wait at least a year or 10k before tuning a car. That number is totally arbitrary but by 1yr/10k miles, many of the potential gremlins will have worked themselves out and the chance of future problems have diminished. Especially so in a place with actual seasons to go through one whole cycle of hot/cold before stressing the car even more. Also, you wait a year, spend a bit more, and BAM, new car.

If you're buying used then disregard all of what I just wrote and turn the dial up.
TacoBello (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:29 AM

If APR will pick it up, why not just go for it and start enjoying that extra 90 ft/lb now?
I'm (bi-)curious.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,812 Likes on 3,842 Posts
If APR will pick it up, why not just go for it and start enjoying that extra 90 ft/lb now?
I'm (bi-)curious.
I just want everything to go through the full shakedown through all the seasons before I take the plunge. As an engineer, I really have an appreciation for how all this stuff can go wrong lol. Plus I enjoy it as is now and I don't need the extra 90ftlb for the winter...
TacoBello (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM

True that...
although fire wood is heavy!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Turd Polisher

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I just want everything to go through the full shakedown through all the seasons before I take the plunge. As an engineer, I really have an appreciation for how all this stuff can go wrong lol. Plus I enjoy it as is now and I don't need the extra 90ftlb for the winter...
More like, as an engineer you'd APPRECIATE another 90ftlb of torque.
TacoBello (10-23-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Jetta has been living a double life