Japanese automakers ripped in Nikkei editorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Japanese automakers ripped in Nikkei editorial

From TTAC...

Today, this is the most uttered sentence in the Japanese auto industry. Under the headline “fast action needed to revamp carmakers”, Japan’s leading business daily rips its own carmakers several new orifices. The editorial doesn’t mince words:

“Japanese automakers lack the momentum of their South Korean and German rivals and may find themselves losing out big on the global stage unless they rethink their strategies.”

As far as the Nikkei is concerned, Japanese carmakers messed up big-time. Let’s start where it counts, at the bottom line:

“Although Honda Motor Co. will likely turn in the top performance among Japanese automakers for the year through March, its net profit is expected to fall short of the fiscal 2007 level, before the “Lehman shock” hit. In contrast, 2010 net profit at Hyundai Motor Co. of South Korea was triple that of 2007, while German carmaker Volkswagen AG’s profit in the first nine months of 2010 was sharply higher than that for same period of 2007.”

Japanese carmakers don’t let a day go by without complaining about the strong yen, but “the weaker performance of Japanese automakers is not attributable to the yen’s appreciation alone,” says the Nikkei. “Even in emerging markets, they lag their rivals.”

“For example, Toyota Motor Corp. is the largest automaker in the world in terms of sales volume, but it has a market share of just 7 percent in China, the world’s biggest auto market. The share is half that of Volkswagen, the top player in China.”

And who is way ahead of Japan in the emerging markets? It’s those evil twins from Germany and Korea again.

Volkswagen says it aims to keep increasing sales in China and become the world’s biggest carmaker in 2018. It commands the second-largest share in Brazil, and it is strengthening its position in India by forming a capital and business alliance with Suzuki Motor Corp.

Hyundai, for its part, boosted its position to the second and third places in India and China, respectively, in 2010. It also sells as many cars as Nissan Motor Co. in the U.S., the bread-and-butter market for Japanese carmakers, and has already topped Toyota in Europe.

Having sufficiently shamed its Japanese readership into choking on their morning ochya (tea), the Nikkei writes what borders on sedition in a quality-obsessed (and Korea-adverse) Japan:

“In terms of quality, the difference between Japanese and South Korean vehicles is not large. Unless Japanese carmakers do something to shake up the status quo, they will likely find themselves under serious threat from South Korean manufacturers.”
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Rok ftw!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
So Nikkei still believes the quality of Korean cars are not quite up to the Japanese snuff yet.

They are probably correct.

...but the clock is ticking.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
They are probably correct.
...that the Koreans surpassed VW's quality. :wink:
Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
...that the Koreans surpassed VW's quality. :wink:
Quality? Doubtful.

Reliability....I'll give 'em that......just don't ask for Portland's opinion on that. :wink:
Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Quality and reliability are mutually exclusive?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by princelybug
Quality and reliability are mutually exclusive?
Nope....take interiors for example. They can have cheap quality plastics, but the car can still be reliable.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Got it.

So you're saying that an expensive car can break down more often than average, but if high quality materials are used in the build, that car is of "higher quality" than an economy car that doesn't break down more often than average?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Got it.

So you're saying that an expensive car can break down more often than average, but if high quality materials are used in the build, that car is of "higher quality" than an economy car that doesn't break down more often than average?
I'd say so, a bmw has higher quality than a civic in my mind.

But I'd also say that the term quality is a little vague. How much of that quality refers to the build of a car with materials, etc. and how much of that quality refers to the build of a car that in terms of it being reliable. There's not real set definition. Its different in everyone's eyes its different. For me, I favor materials used over reliability.

Either when when I talk about quality I distinguish the two things separately.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by speedemon90
I'd say so, a bmw has higher quality than a civic in my mind.

But I'd also say that the term quality is a little vague. How much of that quality refers to the build of a car with materials, etc. and how much of that quality refers to the build of a car that in terms of it being reliable. There's not real set definition. Its different in everyone's eyes its different. For me, I favor materials used over reliability.

Either way when I talk about quality I distinguish the two things separately.

This is what I was trying to get at.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Got it.

One does not compare the quality of a Bentley to that of a Genesis.

Clearly the Genesis will be found lacking in the quality department.

However, when comparing the reliability of drive train & other various components it's a whole different ballgame all together.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,830 Likes on 4,281 Posts
I think something can be said that a reliable machine possesses a certain level of quality. Posh refinement might be another story, however.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
and now management changes!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-all-shook-up/

What ever happened to the fabled Japanese job security? Instead of kaizen (continuous improvement), there is continuous change. A week ago, The Nikkei [sub] predicted that Toyota will cut its sprawling board from 27 members down to a more manageable 10-15. The announcement will most likely come at a press conference on March 9. The announcement hasn’t even been made, and Honda is already following suit by reducing its number if suits.

Honda said today it will prune its board to 12 members from currently 20. The idea is to speed up decision-making, says Reuters.

The shake-ups will filter down to the ranks. Also on the 9th, it is expected that Toyota will announce that it will shift 100 of its roughly 1,000 domestic sales personnel to emerging market work.

The reassigned staffers “will work out of Japan for the time being, making trips to local markets as needed.” They are supposed to light a fire under emerging market sales.

“Toyota enjoys a nearly 50 percent market share in Japan but has lagged behind foreign rivals in emerging countries,” says a a finger-wagging Nikkei. “In Brazil, which overtook Germany to become the world’s fourth-largest auto market in 2010, its share amounts to just 3 percent. And in China, now the world’s biggest auto market, it has a share of 7 percent.”
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
I dont know if that is a good thing or not for Honda? Making the decisions faster? Does that now mean we have almost a 50% better chance that uglier cars will be made sooner? Im hoping that it makes the opposite and that better cars will be built because there are less to like the bad
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I dont know if that is a good thing or not for Honda? Making the decisions faster? Does that now mean we have almost a 50% better chance that uglier cars will be made sooner? Im hoping that it makes the opposite and that better cars will be built because there are less to like the bad