Jaguar S-Type observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Jaguar S-Type observations

So I'm here staying at my better half's parents' house while they're gone out of town.

His mom has a really nice Jaguar S-Type 4.0. in the garage. I believe it's around an 02-04, but I could be wrong. Low mileage, garage kept. Very elegant and classy.

I've always liked Jags, horror stories not-withstanding; I wouldn't buy one over a BMW or MB, but still, the old (97-0?) version XK8 convertible, that's one of the most beautiful cars on the road, IMO. It's almost a 15 year old design but absolutely gorgeous and classy. XJ's are nice too, but again, S-class if I'm spending that kinda cheese.

Anyway, I've made a few observations.

I am aware that the S-type uses Ford underpinnings, platform, whatever, and it's painfully obvious. I haven't driven or ridden in the car, so I'll reserve judgement for that, but I can say that it's obvious in the switchgear.

The wood trim is REALLY nice, feels very solid and of very high quality. The leather is okay, nothing to write home about, but it's okay.

The gauges SUCK...I think a Civic has better gauges. Also, the first thing I noticed is that they must be lifted straight from the Ford parts bin...AND THEY AREN'T 10-30-50-70-90 like in other Jags, which is an example of how freakin' classy Jags can be. I can't explain it, but the odd first digits (so different from the norm) in Jag gauges are F'N CLASSY!!!!

Now the worst part...the second I shut the door I could've cringed. It reminded me (and sounded/felt like) of my first car, a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO, a car which I had to manually screw the doors on so they'd stay shut....not good for a Jaguar. Not only were they flimsy, light, but the sound of shutting, that alone would drive me far away from a car that's supposed to be a Jag, and sounded just like an old Ford. Not good.

In terms of that, my Acura (and every Nissan/Infiniti I've owned) BLOWS IT COMPLETELY OUT OF THE WATER, on just the doors shutting, not to mention the heavy-ness and feel. Like I said it's got some really nice wood in it, but that's it. Not a "real" Jag, IMO. But I'd drive it :-)

Just thought I'd post.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
they have some great looking cars. Before ford purchased them there was the saying"buy two so you can drive one while the other is in the shop". They had major electrical problems and were in the basement like range rover is now with reliability. Who knows what direction tata motors will take them.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
The S-type was a step up in reliability from the pre-Ford XJs due to use of the Ford parts bin; I considered one before getting the TL, but was deterred by Jaguar's reputation for unreliability.

The XF replaced the S-type-- very different cars aesthetically. Check out the interior on the XF if you get a chance-- I liked it a lot, but lots of electronics.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Yeah, I like the exterior of this car, expecially the R version. I rented one when I was out of town a few years ago and I was not impressed with the ride or seat comfort. It and the Lincoln LS are pretty much the same car. Both were not good reliability-wise. My friend had an LS for like 6 month before he got rid of it because of so much minor and major work that was need constantly.

I guess if your better half's parents (I guess you're not married.... yet ) keep it in the garage and do not drive it much they should be a-ok.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Nothing to observe...It's a piece of crap..
Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Our neighbor has an XF-R and its very nice. Fast as hell and the exhaust doesn't sound too bad either.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-type was a POS until the 03 redesign and 04's had the 4.2
Old 07-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i agree with most comments here.

the S-Type pricing allowed ppl to step up to buy a jag...while in the process, overlooking all of the ford parts that made it possible for the S-Type to be that much less than the other jags.

the car became semi-decent during the 03 revision, as mentioned. but its still no hitter.

also, 'the price of car' : 'the price of repairs' ratio makes purchase pretty hard to stomach. when comparing to land rover, at least its worthwhile to spend $$$ to maintain a 70k vehicle. who the hell wants to spend thousands to maintain a dressed up ford with a jag badge?