I've Been Brainwashed, Too

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I hate it when attendants try to 'top it off' after your tank is full, too. The few times I've gone to full-serve stations, they've always done it. When the tank is full, pull out the hose, let me pay, and go. I don't care if I pay $23.36 or $25.00. In fact, I'd rather pay $23.86 than get an extra few drops of gas.
I find when I go to NJ gas stations if you pay in cash they will even off the amount (easier to make change) and will not if you use a debit/credit card
Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow...I didn't realize there are states which require full service!

The last full service station I went to, I was 17 and it was just across the border in WI. The guy washed my windows and cleaned my head/tail lights too. I tipped the guy a few bucks.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,450 Likes on 4,972 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
(a) Discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service; - Wow...just wow.

(b) Discriminates against customers who are elderly or have disabilities who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices; and
[/COLOR]
Wow. They just had to throw the word discriminate in there to get it to pass.

Whats next? Pumping your own gas is racist? Or an act of terrorism? Lets get the fire department to pump our gas, because as we all know, they should be the ones who are most experienced with flammable substances.

Such bullshit.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Although it does prevent station owners from having dumbshits drive off with the pump still attached. Happens quite a bit.
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
also prevents driving off without paying. Reason why more stations make you prepay or use a credit/debit card
Not really. It happened several times when a friend of mine worked at a Shell station back many years ago. I would think it might happen more because people aren't actively aware of the fueling status and simply ASSUME that it's finished without checking.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Wow. They just had to throw the word discriminate in there to get it to pass.

Whats next? Pumping your own gas is racist? Or an act of terrorism? Lets get the fire department to pump our gas, because as we all know, they should be the ones who are most experienced with flammable substances.

Such bullshit.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Although it does prevent station owners from having dumbshits drive off with the pump still attached. Happens quite a bit.
As I mentioned in my first post I believe just the opposite is true. People are *much* more likely to drive off with the nozzle still in the car if they're not in charge of the process...the minimum wage bozos who pump gas where I live aren't exactly IRL pit crew material.

I also lived in WA until I was 18...a state where you pump your own gas, and never once saw anyone do it.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:06 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
ive seen someone drive off with the nozzle once...that shit was scary
Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
ive seen someone drive off with the nozzle once...that shit was scary
I saw that happen in Jersey. I was laughing my ass off. She was on her cell phone when she thought her Tahoe was filled up.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:14 AM
it's a car-drive it

I like it when someone pulls up to the pumps and the gas tank is on the opposite side. It is fun to watch them.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I was visiting OR a few years ago when I found out about this asinine law.

I had my G35, and the moron put the cheap stuff in, despite the fact that I told him twice to put premium. I noticed when I saw the receipt about 50 miles later when we got to our destination. That was the first and only time that I have ever used octane booster.

I filled up in another state on the way home. By myself.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Not really. It happened several times when a friend of mine worked at a Shell station back many years ago. I would think it might happen more because people aren't actively aware of the fueling status and simply ASSUME that it's finished without checking.

I worked at a station when I was in college. We turned off the pumps at nigth because too many people didn't know how to fill the car.

I've been to Oregon, I spent a summer working for a firm up there. I wouldn't want them pumping their own gas either.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I couldn't believe this when I was in Jersey years ago. Was confused, and wasn't sure what to do.... tip ? No tip?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
I was visiting OR a few years ago when I found out about this asinine law.

I had my G35, and the moron put the cheap stuff in, despite the fact that I told him twice to put premium. I noticed when I saw the receipt about 50 miles later when we got to our destination. That was the first and only time that I have ever used octane booster.

I filled up in another state on the way home. By myself.
just 2 questions: why didn't you stop the pump if you knew it was the wrong grade. I grew up in jersey and have stopped the pump numerous times (I did not get arrested) If you did not see the receipt did you actually feel any difference in the way your car drove. Be honest.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:04 AM
it's a car-drive it

^^^^^^^^^
additional info:
when we were in Oregon a few weeks ago, my husband pumped his own gas while the attendent watched.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
God that is incredibly STUPID. I feel sorry for people who live in Oregon or NJ.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^^^^^^
additional info:
when we were in Oregon a few weeks ago, my husband pumped his own gas while the attendent watched.
That might be something worth trying... if they'll let you pump supervised =)
Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
One on the right for me

^ - They will in Oregon
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I'm pretty content pumping my own gas in NY!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

just 2 questions: why didn't you stop the pump if you knew it was the wrong grade. I grew up in jersey and have stopped the pump numerous times (I did not get arrested) If you did not see the receipt did you actually feel any difference in the way your car drove. Be honest.
I didn't notice until we ended up at our destination. All things being equal, I run the cheap stuff unless the car calls for the high test. Knock sensors are great, but there is only so much you can do to prevent detonation with fuel that is not resistant enough. You can only pull timing so much and then you have (premature) detonation.

Anyone that tells you they notice a difference with fuel grade and power is bullshitting you. What you WILL notice, is the hole in the side of your block.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:56 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Shoofin
I'm pretty content pumping my own gas in NY!
I also do not mind pumping my own gas but when in NJ I love to pull up to the pump and say fill r up. Actually yesterday when I was getting gas during a rain storm I was wishing I was in NJ. Despite the covering over the gas pumps I still got wet.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:15 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
I didn't notice until we ended up at our destination. All things being equal, I run the cheap stuff unless the car calls for the high test. Knock sensors are great, but there is only so much you can do to prevent detonation with fuel that is not resistant enough. You can only pull timing so much and then you have (premature) detonation.

Anyone that tells you they notice a difference with fuel grade and power is bullshitting you. What you WILL notice, is the hole in the side of your block.
We must be lucky (knock on wood) using regular gas in the cars we have and had owned that recommended premium. When we sold our 1991 Mazda Mx-6 GT for $5,000 3 years ago, it had 250,000+miles, with the original engine, turbo, clutch, transmission and ran excellent. We also owned a 1998 Eagle Talon TSI-awd, that had 125,000+miles when we sold that. It also had the original turbo, engine, clutch, transmission and ran excellent. We now have 84,000+ problem free miles on our 06 tsx.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the first time i pumped my own gas was at age 20 when i moved to NC... im now back in nj and i hate waiting for these shit heads to pump my gas... i was driving my fathers 09 3.5 altima the other day and this idiot gas station attendant who was on his cell phone after i specifically said 20 dollars SUPER puts regular in the car... i didnt realize until after i did a little quick math of 20 dollars divided by the price of the regular fuel...

i miss the freedom to pump my own gas and ive lived in jersey for 20 years of my life... 9 months out of this hell hole reminded me just how absurd it is to wait for someone quite possibly more likely to fuck up the act up filling a car with gas than i am.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I drive to NJ I enjoy the lower prices but I am always nervous about someone else pumping.

Now for a question that I have often thought about. Say I live in NJ and I need gas for my mower. I assume I would be required to take my gas container to the pump and have someone else put the gas in it. Then I drive home and I am then free to dispense the gas however I want?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by spdy0001
When I drive to NJ I enjoy the lower prices but I am always nervous about someone else pumping.

Now for a question that I have often thought about. Say I live in NJ and I need gas for my mower. I assume I would be required to take my gas container to the pump and have someone else put the gas in it. Then I drive home and I am then free to dispense the gas however I want?
no -you need the gas cop to do it-
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Step 1: Remove nozzle from holder

Step 2: Select fuel (the buttons you dont push with your finger, you push it with your palm, they're that big. one says 87 (regular), the other 89 (Extra) and 91 (premium)

Step 3: Insert nozzle in fuel pipe (this is assuming that you were smart enough to pop the cover open and unscrew the cap...it's like opening a fridge and unscrewing a beer

Step 4: Squeeze until dollar amount on pump equals dollar amount in wallet.

Step 5: Stop squeezing, reinsert nozzle into holder

Step 6: put cap back on, close door, go pay.

Do any of those steps require any advanced classes to handle? Does this pose a risk to pregnant women, to the elderly? If you can't pump your own gas...how can you even drive?

The funny thing is here in Toronto, the steps above (most of them) are written clearly as possible on the side of the pump. More foolproof than Oregon's method IMO
Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I grew up in NJ and remember how strange the self-service law seemed. Then again, liberal NJ is the land of overreaching and absurd laws. As a kid, I remember wanted a pet box turtle. The sale of pet turtles, however, was prohibited in NJ, so my parents would have had to bring me to PA to buy the turtle.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Step 1: Remove nozzle from holder

Step 2: Select fuel (the buttons you dont push with your finger, you push it with your palm, they're that big. one says 87 (regular), the other 89 (Extra) and 91 (premium)

Step 3: Insert nozzle in fuel pipe (this is assuming that you were smart enough to pop the cover open and unscrew the cap...it's like opening a fridge and unscrewing a beer

Step 4: Squeeze until dollar amount on pump equals dollar amount in wallet.

Step 5: Stop squeezing, reinsert nozzle into holder

Step 6: put cap back on, close door, go pay.

Do any of those steps require any advanced classes to handle? Does this pose a risk to pregnant women, to the elderly? If you can't pump your own gas...how can you even drive?

The funny thing is here in Toronto, the steps above (most of them) are written clearly as possible on the side of the pump. More foolproof than Oregon's method IMO
that is good if people would actually follow those instructions. I have seen people put the nozzle in, set it on auto-stop, get back in the car. The auto-shut fails to work and the gas is now flowing on the ground.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

that is good if people would actually follow those instructions. I have seen people put the nozzle in, set it on auto-stop, get back in the car. The auto-shut fails to work and the gas is now flowing on the ground.
Hm, in that case maybe you do need trained professionals to fill up gas in your car.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Moto Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
... OR are if you're on a bike or filling a company vehicle at an unmanned commerical station, like a Pacific Pride or similar.
So yeah, that was going to be my question. What happens when you ride up to one of these places on a motorcycle? Do you still have to have the schmuck attendant fill up $4 in gas?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Hm, in that case maybe you do need trained professionals to fill up gas in your car.
I did not say it was me- I have seen it happen while pumping gas in my car (Yes, I do know how to) I also know how to change a flat tire, check tire pressure and the oil and the other fluids.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by taitando
So yeah, that was going to be my question. What happens when you ride up to one of these places on a motorcycle? Do you still have to have the schmuck attendant fill up $4 in gas?
Motorcycles and airplanes are exempt..

Apparently us 'car' people are too stupid
Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Motorcycles and airplanes are exempt..

Apparently us 'car' people are too stupid
How many motorcycles have you seen ride off with the nozzle still attached to the bike?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
How many motorcycles have you seen ride off with the nozzle still attached to the bike?
None of course
Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by JD23
I grew up in NJ and remember how strange the self-service law seemed. Then again, liberal NJ is the land of overreaching and absurd laws. As a kid, I remember wanted a pet box turtle. The sale of pet turtles, however, was prohibited in NJ, so my parents would have had to bring me to PA to buy the turtle.
since we are on the subject of laws- you can not sell or buy fireworks in NJ. In Pa (at least when I lived there) they could sell fireworks but if you were a PA resident you could not buy them. If fact I tried to go in a fireworks store near where I lived. They wanted to see my driver's license and would not even let me in the store. My friend, with her jersey license, was allowed and bought them.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by taitando
In NJ even on a motorcycle or if you bring your 1 gal gas can you have to have a gas attendant fill it.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I can't imagine not being able to pump my own gas.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I did not say it was me- I have seen it happen while pumping gas in my car (Yes, I do know how to) I also know how to change a flat tire, check tire pressure and the oil and the other fluids.
I didn't mean you, I meant the public in general, sorry for the misunderstanding.

It would probably be a stupid idea to remand the law now though. Then people would really not understand how to pump their own gas after having it pumped for them all their lives.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Pro

since we are on the subject of laws- you can not sell or buy fireworks in NJ. In Pa (at least when I lived there) they could sell fireworks but if you were a PA resident you could not buy them. If fact I tried to go in a fireworks store near where I lived. They wanted to see my driver's license and would not even let me in the store. My friend, with her jersey license, was allowed and bought them.
The alcohol laws are also extremely restrictive in NJ. Grocery stores do not sell alcohol of any kind; in fact, there was only one store to buy alcohol in the town where I lived in NJ. Overall, NJ has the most restrictive laws of any state that I have visited in the US. Politicians run amok.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 PM

In NJ even on a motorcycle or if you bring your 1 gal gas can you have to have a gas attendant fill it.
Ill be damned if I let some punkass kid fill my bike up and spill gas all over the tank. Thats when the mini-bat comes out from under the seat...
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

We must be lucky (knock on wood) using regular gas in the cars we have and had owned that recommended premium. When we sold our 1991 Mazda Mx-6 GT for $5,000 3 years ago, it had 250,000+miles, with the original engine, turbo, clutch, transmission and ran excellent. We also owned a 1998 Eagle Talon TSI-awd, that had 125,000+miles when we sold that. It also had the original turbo, engine, clutch, transmission and ran excellent. We now have 84,000+ problem free miles on our 06 tsx.
Well, those cars pulled enough timing that it was not an issue. In that case, you most likely sacrificed power. A few years ago the AV6 recommended premium for the quoted power output, and you got less when you ran lesser grades. If memory serves, a car rag or a forum member ran dyno tests that proved that to be true.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Oregon will let motorcyclists pump their own fuel but the attendant has to HAND the pump to the rider. They just don't want to abandon their complete control of the public.

Quick Reply: I've Been Brainwashed, Too