Infiniti infringe on BMW's "M"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
A lot of people that have posted in this thread need to take a basic business class.
A lot of people here (myself included) have grown weary of how litigious we have become as a society.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
there does NOT need to be any real actual cases of confusion between the 2 brands for infringement to occur. The mere fact that there is a possibility of confusion is enough to prove infringement.

If BMW advertised their M cars as "M", and infiniti starts advertising their cars as just "M", even if every single person in the world knew at all times which "M" the ads were talkign about, the mere fact that there is possible confusion means there is infringement.

I can say, 'I drive an M' to someone i just met. He will think BMW. I can say 'I drive an M' to someone else 5 minutes later, and he will think Infiniti. BMW did not sue because Infiniti has an "M" series or an "M35" or an "M45" or an "M6" package. BMW sued because Infiniti used "M" and/or "M6" in an ambiguous manner that creates the POTENTIAL for confusion: "The new M" or "...available with M6 package" or something similar.

If you open up a pizza restaurant called "Mike's Pizza" and someone else opens up a "Mike's Pizza" down the block afterwards, he is infringing on your trademark. Everyone may know that "Mike's Pizza" down the block sucks, so everyone goes to your shop (no actual cases of confusion), but as long as there is the possibility, he is infringing on your trademark.
:nailmeethead:
Old 03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
A lot of people here (myself included) have grown weary of how litigious we have become as a society.
If YOU invented something that made YOU hundreds of millions of dollars and a competitor came out with a near identical product using the same name (or likeness), what would you do? Be real here, you'd sue the company to protect your investment.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,248 Likes on 5,212 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
how is he?
an entirely exclusive engine is a little step up from a "trim" package.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
and u're right bcause...???

why would ppl buy a car from one car company and expect it to perform like a car of a another company?

ppl loooking to buy a BMW M know what the hell they are buying and would never mistake it for another car
people do lots of stupid things. just because its something you or I or anyone else here wouldnt do, doesnt mean its something someone else wouldnt do.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CLpower
that's retarded
I was not being entirely serious about that comment.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

A lot of people that have posted in this thread need to take a basic business class.
thank you. wait, are you supporting me?? lol
Old 03-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

there does NOT need to be any real actual cases of confusion between the 2 brands for infringement to occur. The mere fact that there is a possibility of confusion is enough to prove infringement.

If BMW advertised their M cars as "M", and infiniti starts advertising their cars as just "M", even if every single person in the world knew at all times which "M" the ads were talkign about, the mere fact that there is possible confusion means there is infringement.

I can say, 'I drive an M' to someone i just met. He will think BMW. I can say 'I drive an M' to someone else 5 minutes later, and he will think Infiniti. BMW did not sue because Infiniti has an "M" series or an "M35" or an "M45" or an "M6" package. BMW sued because Infiniti used "M" and/or "M6" in an ambiguous manner that creates the POTENTIAL for confusion: "The new M" or "...available with M6 package" or something similar.

If you open up a pizza restaurant called "Mike's Pizza" and someone else opens up a "Mike's Pizza" down the block afterwards, he is infringing on your trademark. Everyone may know that "Mike's Pizza" down the block sucks, so everyone goes to your shop (no actual cases of confusion), but as long as there is the possibility, he is infringing on your trademark.
Thank you. That's all it's about, isn't it. It's not about the probable fact that person x could not have reasonably assumed that a vehicle denoted as "M" was a BMW and bought that vehicle based solely on that fact, without looking at any other factors or indicators thereof, to only later find out it was an actually an automobile manufactured by Infiniti. No, that's not why this went to court. I should have never gone to law school. (glad I quit).

Last edited by srika; 03-23-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
If YOU invented something that made YOU hundreds of millions of dollars and a competitor came out with a near identical product using the same name (or likeness), what would you do? Be real here, you'd sue the company to protect your investment.

Oh brother

I hate it when I get confused between a M5 or M45, happens all the time... I have to do a double take

all I know is... there are only 26 letters in the alphabet... give me a break.

it's NOT like a combo. of letters like the "AMG" or something... I mean... what about the "GT"? Or "S"? Or "R"? What about the "GTO" between Pontiac and Farrari?

In fact, my neighbor just named their child "David" which is MY dad's name... maybe I should sue them? Cuz, I don't wanna get confused with their kid and my dad...
Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by is300eater

Oh brother

I hate it when I get confused between a M5 or M45, happens all the time... I have to do a double take

all I know is... there are only 26 letters in the alphabet... give me a break.

it's NOT like a combo. of letters like the "AMG" or something... I mean... what about the "GT"? Or "S"? Or "R"? What about the "GTO" between Pontiac and Farrari?

In fact, my neighbor just named their child "David" which is MY dad's name... maybe I should sue them? Cuz, I don't wanna get confused with their kid and my dad...
Again, you simply don't know the law nor business. I guess I will create a MP3 player and call it the JPod
Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I shoot people

Again, you simply don't know the law nor business. I guess I will create a MP3 player and call it the JPod
You should, what's wrong with "JPod"?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I shoot people

why doesn't Apple go after ALL those aftermarket products/accessories with "i" in front of it?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
like Maximized said, you obviously don't know anything about business or law or the purpose and application of trademark laws.

1) is your dad a product or business that someone wants to buy?
2) does your neighbor's kid being named 'david' mean that someone who wants to buy your dad will end up buying or obtaining services from your neighbor's kid instead?
3) is your dad and your neighbor's kid a similar product or service?

I am guessing no, no, and no.

Your analogy has NOTHING to do with what this case is about.

The case is about Infiniti using "M" in their ads to sell a product, not "M35", not "M45", not even "M-series"...just "M" by itself.

BMW already trademarked the use of "M" and has the right to use it in ads to sell a similar product.

If the products are totally different like the Gillette "M" powered razor or whatever, then there is no infringement. but because both are car companies, and both want to use the same letter to MARKET their own cars, the owner of the trademark gets dibs.

it is NOT about who can or cannot use M in combination with other letters or numbers to denote car models. It is about the use of "M", by itself, in marketing material and ads to sell cars.

If your dad sold a product called "David's", and the neighbor's kid started selling a product with similar purpose called "David's" in your dad's market region, then yes, your dad has a right to sue him for use of the name TO SELL A LIKE PRODUCT. but your dad only being named "David" and your neighbor's kid being named "David" has squat to do with trademark infringement.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

why doesn't Apple go after ALL those aftermarket products/accessories with "i" in front of it?
duh...

apple doesn't own the trademark to every word with "i" in front of it.

"pod" probably isn't trademarked by apple, but the use of a letter in front of "pod" to sell a product of similar purpose to the ipod (another mp3 player) is and obvious attempt to capitalize on apple's trademarked "ipod" to sell your mp3 player.

if you want to sell hotdogs or burritos or whatever else called "jpod", apple would have no problem.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^ thanks for the only rational reasoning in this thread. hence, the reason why BMW won this in court.

BMW 1
Inifiniti 0

sorry, drive threw (sic), you lost.

let's party! lol
Old 03-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I shoot people

like Maximized said, you obviously don't know anything about business or law or the purpose and application of trademark laws.

1) is your dad a product or business that someone wants to buy?
2) does your neighbor's kid being named 'david' mean that someone who wants to buy your dad will end up buying or obtaining services from your neighbor's kid instead?
3) is your dad and your neighbor's kid a similar product or service?

I am guessing no, no, and no.

Your analogy has NOTHING to do with what this case is about.

The case is about Infiniti using "M" in their ads to sell a product, not "M35", not "M45", not even "M-series"...just "M" by itself.

BMW already trademarked the use of "M" and has the right to use it in ads to sell a similar product.

If the products are totally different like the Gillette "M" powered razor or whatever, then there is no infringement. but because both are car companies, and both want to use the same letter to MARKET their own cars, the owner of the trademark gets dibs.

it is NOT about who can or cannot use M in combination with other letters or numbers to denote car models. It is about the use of "M", by itself, in marketing material and ads to sell cars.

If your dad sold a product called "David's", and the neighbor's kid started selling a product with similar purpose called "David's" in your dad's market region, then yes, your dad has a right to sue him for use of the name TO SELL A LIKE PRODUCT. but your dad only being named "David" and your neighbor's kid being named "David" has squat to do with trademark infringement.
thanks!!! I still think law suits like this is lame though
Old 03-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SG81
and will Acura go after Benz for the "CL" & "CL-S"
Oh god this is so funny.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
good for BMW...

You think frivolous lawsuits are good?

Are Canadians really getting confused? Give me a break.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ashburner
You think frivolous lawsuits are good?

Are Canadians really getting confused? Give me a break.
how is this lawsuit frivolous?

Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

...so then maybe Nissan needs to bounce this back with a 'Z' countersuit (versus the Z4)....
Old 03-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

...so then maybe Nissan needs to bounce this back with a 'Z' countersuit (versus the Z4)....
it was already done in 2002.

Nissan sued saying that "Z3" is too close to "300Z", but i think they lost because they waited too long to file (the Z3 production started mid-90's, the lawsuit didn't occur until when the Z4 was introduced).

But that lawsuit is different from this one. Nissan wanted to stop BMW from using Z3 or Z4 as the name of the car completely. BMW did not sue Infiniti to stop using "M35" or "M45" as the name of a car. They sued to stop infiniti from referring to the M35 or M45 in ads and brochures as the "M".
Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

it was already done in 2002.

Nissan sued saying that "Z3" is too close to "300Z", but i think they lost because they waited too long to file (the Z3 production started mid-90's, the lawsuit didn't occur until when the Z4 was introduced).

But that lawsuit is different from this one. Nissan wanted to stop BMW from using Z3 or Z4 as the name of the car completely. BMW did not sue Infiniti to stop using "M35" or "M45" as the name of a car. They sued to stop infiniti from referring to the M35 or M45 in ads and brochures as the "M".

LINK?

Back on topic, interesting Detroit Free Press article from 2005 with a laudable conclusion. LINK
Old 03-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

LINK?

Back on topic, interesting Detroit Free Press article from 2005 with a laudable conclusion. LINK
i have to find it, but i know i read it a couple years ago when Nissan first filed the lawsuit.

but trust me, they already sued over the Z.