IMPORTANT : headlight clearing business

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMPORTANT : headlight clearing business

Ok, where to start?

Back in January 06, I was looking to get my 03 TL-S headlights cleared. In September 05, I had purchased the clear reflectors from ricks2k.com as they were still available.

I inquired left and right about who would be the best suited for doing this job, Dan's name (known as to others) came out more than once. I went to his website (his name .com) and got seduced by the work he did and decided to email him about the job.

I was quoted 150$ labor + 50$ shipping (so he can send me back the works) for a total of 200$, considering I'm providing the headlights and the reflectors.

I ordered a pair of headlights from eBay, got them shipped to his place (with his approuval), they arrived safely. I proceeded to send the clear reflectors and a money order for 200$ over to his place; they arrived safely as well.

First week after the arrival of all stock, he emailed me saying that he broke one of the clear reflectors. Knowing that ricks2k.com does NOT sell them anymore, (excuse my words), I knew I was f*cked. I still contacted rick2k.com, they said they would need at least 50 requests before they can send out an order to the company to make more.

I asked Dan () to take pics so I can assess the damage with my own eyes. It took him 4 weeks to get me pics, at this point we're in end of March. I told him to go ahead and glue the broken reflector parts together, and continue with the work.

Mid-April, I email him asking for an update. Nothing.

One month later, mid-May, I emailed him again, asking for an update, nothing.

You can configure your mailing software to send you a "Read Receipt" when someone reads your emails, both times (in April and May) I got a receipt saying he read my email within 24hrs...

The purpose of this thread is simply to ask for advice. Each headlight cost me roughly 85$ + 15$ shipping. The reflectors cost me 80$ back in the days. The total price of this mod cost me roughly 500$ including the 200$ labor+shipping fees from . And oh yea, I'm still empty handed here.

I live in Canada, it's summer now. This all started in January and we're almost in June. What should I do? I wanted to get these installed by May, but who knew Dan would run or simply ignore me? My guess is that he broke something else, he's trying to fix it, and it's costing him an arm and a leg and he's avoiding it.

Has someone else dealt with him in the past? Has anybody else had issues with him? As mentionned, I'm from Canada, approximately 6hrs driving distance from his place in New Jersey, I wouldn't mind going for a drive. If someone stays close by, would they be willing to check up on it? I can provide full information about his where-abouts.

Any help/advice would be appreciated at this point.

Last edited by jacko74; 05-21-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Moving to Car Talk hoping you'll get some replies there. Honestly your best bet is to close this and start this thread in the TL section, but we can't move there from Off Topic, so Car Talk is your best bet for now....
Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats some shady shit. It sucks when one of the family jerks you.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Moving to Car Talk hoping you'll get some replies there. Honestly your best bet is to close this and start this thread in the TL section, but we can't move there from Off Topic, so Car Talk is your best bet for now....
I've opened a thread in the 2G TL forum. I'd appreciate if you could close this one, makes sense for me to get more answers from the TL forum.

Thanks a bunch jb