I'm thinking of buying a GSR

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a GSR

Like the title says, I am considering buying a GSR. I need a daily driver for school/work that won't be too much of a hassle to take care of.

I was looking at a 1995 GSR 4 door, its really clean, 145k highway miles. Not showroom condition, but it has a bunch of new things like clutch, tires, brakes, A/C, and all maintenance has been taken care of EXCEPT the timing belt which I will need to do right away.

Again, I know its got high miles, but I'm not too worried about that as I will get all the needed maintenance done (if there is anything else besides the timing belt).

Anyways, do any of you have experience with GSR's? What should I look for when I go to look at it? Any recommendations for mods

Thanks guys
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only thing I would watch out for with those is thievery. They get stolen like hot cakes. I would know.....

Other than that they are absolutely great cars. Mine had 184k on it the time of theft and it ran great with nothing wrong at all.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by Shotgun3131
The only thing I would watch out for with those is thievery. They get stolen like hot cakes. I would know.....

Other than that they are absolutely great cars. Mine had 184k on it the time of theft and it ran great with nothing wrong at all.
When I was researching them, I was surprised to find out that this was one of the "common issues."

I always knew Integras got stolen a lot, but I didn't know the extent of the problem. I guess I'll invest in a decent alarm...hopefully that will help out a little bit..
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the brake and fuel lines beside the frame, they all like to rust out over the years, I have replace them lots of time over the years on Integras. Also check the bottom sliders on each rear caliper, as they like to seize as well and then you have no back brakes or parking brake. Also check the engine and tranny torque mounts as they like to tear with old age.

Other then what I just said to check, they are very well cars to have/drive. I love my 99 DC4 to death.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Your mom is in

Its got some rust on the rear fender wheel well on the quarter panel, I know of that much.
I'll be sure to check the calipers and motor mounts as well

Any known engine/transmission problems?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:20 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Another former 3G(or, G3) Integra owner here. I had a 95 LS sedan myself. I'd pick up a GSR myself too, but the high possibility of getting it broken into is too much for me. Hope you enjoy yours in good health and safety.

I'd be careful of rust, though I know my friend had a leak in his hatch somewhere. I think the sedans had seal issues too, but I can't recall where to check for the leaks. I'm no body shop guy, but I think quarter panel repairs can get costly, and rust will only get worse over time.

Make sure you bookmark team-integra.net. I haven't been there in a looooooong time but it was a good community when I used to frequent it. Only problem I had with mine was the thermostat got stuck open so it would take a long ass time to warm up, but that was taken care of. And the poor car was the unfortunate subject of a clueless wrench monkey (me) but I learned a lot from her, and she was reliable even at 165k.

I'd get a CAI to start. I had a cheap older AEM one, but I didn't really look into other mods. CAI sounded great after I learned how to rev-match I remember reading that the DC header had issues with clearance and cracking, but that's the 4-1, but that was a while ago.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Your mom is in

Here's a picture of the rust in the ad...

Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Former '94 LS owner here. Great car. But the paint faded badly, and I also noticed some rust.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Your mom is in

I'm going to see if I can't grind that rust down, fill it with bondo, and paint over it.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Has a 95 Black on Black GSR. Man I miss it. Needing a functional back seat meant TL Type S so still in the family.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
5th Gear

Ouch that rust hurts. Why fill it with bondo? If your going to do it might as well fix it right.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
If this car is only being used as a DD/beater, I wouldn't care much for mods. It'll only make the car more attractive to thieves. I'd fix the rust, maybe install some projetor HIDs and some suspension, and call it a day. Maybe an anti-theft system that includes fuel shut-off. That'll give you a break on insurance as well.

I wouldn't know how to check, but look for any signs that it's been previously modified. It's been years since I've seen a stock Integra.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by hahaha38
Ouch that rust hurts. Why fill it with bondo? If your going to do it might as well fix it right.
How would you fix it right?

I don't want to go through the hassle of cutting out that quarter panel and cutting one out of another integra.

Thats why I suggested I might just grind out the surface rust thats built up, fill in some bondo to smooth it over, then paint. Seems like the simplest solution I can think of.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by Aman
If this car is only being used as a DD/beater, I wouldn't care much for mods. It'll only make the car more attractive to thieves. I'd fix the rust, maybe install some projetor HIDs and some suspension, and call it a day. Maybe an anti-theft system that includes fuel shut-off. That'll give you a break on insurance as well.

I wouldn't know how to check, but look for any signs that it's been previously modified. It's been years since I've seen a stock Integra.
Its already got several mods from suspension, to I/H/E, and some other mods I can't think of atm.

Definitely going to do the projector HID's, I'm not going back to stone age halogens even though its my beater.

Wow, I'll say it again, I always heard of these things getting stolen, but didn't know it was truly that bad. I'll definitely have to invest in a decent alarm system now that you guys mention it.

It's not stock, has a decent bit of mods done to the engine,drivetrain, etc.

Going to do a full tune up as soon as I get it back to SC (spark plugs, seafoam, oil change etc)
Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by Costco
Another former 3G(or, G3) Integra owner here. I had a 95 LS sedan myself. I'd pick up a GSR myself too, but the high possibility of getting it broken into is too much for me. Hope you enjoy yours in good health and safety.

I'd be careful of rust, though I know my friend had a leak in his hatch somewhere. I think the sedans had seal issues too, but I can't recall where to check for the leaks. I'm no body shop guy, but I think quarter panel repairs can get costly, and rust will only get worse over time.

Make sure you bookmark team-integra.net. I haven't been there in a looooooong time but it was a good community when I used to frequent it. Only problem I had with mine was the thermostat got stuck open so it would take a long ass time to warm up, but that was taken care of. And the poor car was the unfortunate subject of a clueless wrench monkey (me) but I learned a lot from her, and she was reliable even at 165k.

I'd get a CAI to start. I had a cheap older AEM one, but I didn't really look into other mods. CAI sounded great after I learned how to rev-match I remember reading that the DC header had issues with clearance and cracking, but that's the 4-1, but that was a while ago.
Where do you live to where you're worried about it getting stolen?

I'll get the rust taken care of, either way this will be a beater for maybe only a year or less.

Already started roaming around team-integra...looks to be alright. Probably will yield some decent info.

Something funny about this whole thing is that I learned how to drive stick when I was 15, but only drove a 5 speed for a few weeks. Its now 7 years later...so I'm a bit out of touch with manual cars, but I hear its like riding a bike, once you learn, you never really lose the skill.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I love those cars. The only reason why I am not currently looking for one is because that shit will be gone in a day parking it in SF (would buy it for my g/f). Instead it is most likely going to be a Scion tc
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by pmptx
Has a 95 Black on Black GSR. Man I miss it. Needing a functional back seat meant TL Type S so still in the family.
I loved the 4 door Integra
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by subinf
I loved the 4 door Integra
Yup its a 4 door, I'm actually already getting shit for it not being a coupe from my friends, hah.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Where is Sly Raskal at?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm in

Here is Sly's thread about his GSR...

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/went-back-time-383121/

Last edited by PPLAPW; 10-07-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm in

Here is Sly's GSR...

Old 10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Word to the wise, it's not just the ripoff factor; it's also the insurance payments that come with it. If you do get it, de-badge it at least.
-Mirror

P.S. The most effective security device is a detachable steering wheel, although you lose your airbag that way.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 AM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMirror
P.S. The most effective security device is a detachable steering wheel, although you lose your airbag that way.
Also you could install a fuel cutoff switch. The electric lead for the fuel pump is in the drivers door sill, just putting a switch on that alone would help. Another option is pull the fuse for the fuel pump when you park. A buddy of mine does this with his Type R everywhere he goes.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by thevikas87
Where do you live to where you're worried about it getting stolen?

I'll get the rust taken care of, either way this will be a beater for maybe only a year or less.

Already started roaming around team-integra...looks to be alright. Probably will yield some decent info.

Something funny about this whole thing is that I learned how to drive stick when I was 15, but only drove a 5 speed for a few weeks. Its now 7 years later...so I'm a bit out of touch with manual cars, but I hear its like riding a bike, once you learn, you never really lose the skill.
lol... I KNOW people who are/were car thieves. Not intentionally of course, they just revealed it to me after I knew them for a while.

I don't live in a bad area, San Jose is supposedly one of the top 10 big cities in the entire US. Whatever.... all I know is downtown SJ is a shithole, and that's where I got my car broken into.

Not just stolen, you'd have to have some serious hardware for someone to want to steal your car. Even having some wheels will probably get a thief to become curious, and if there's anything inside (like a radio faceplate you happen to not put away, one time in a million) they might just pry your window backwards, unlock it and run off with your Alpine, shift knob, and some other things in your trunk.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by Shotgun3131
Also you could install a fuel cutoff switch. The electric lead for the fuel pump is in the drivers door sill, just putting a switch on that alone would help. Another option is pull the fuse for the fuel pump when you park. A buddy of mine does this with his Type R everywhere he goes.
Where do I put the steering wheel when I take it off? Do I carry it around with me?

I'm probably going to go with the fuel cutoff option.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You could be like any college boy with a Sparco steering wheel hanging from his backpack

Or you could just get a steering wheel lock. The most effective anti-theft devices are those that are most visible. The casual thief won't bother with something like that.

You could also get Lojack (tracking system), and maybe attach a sticker on the quarter window or something.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Where is Sly Raskal at?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
n00b

Originally Posted by thevikas87
Yup its a 4 door, I'm actually already getting shit for it not being a coupe from my friends, hah.
Tell your friends to f off. Integra sedans are hot, especially GS-R sedans. I miss mine.

Here was how mine looked before it was totaled.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
WOW, that car was in great shape. too bad it was totaled.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 PM
n00b

Originally Posted by justnspace
WOW, that car was in great shape. too bad it was totaled.
Thanks to a fucking drunk driver.....

http://vwong.net/db8-rip.html
Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
omg drunk at 1040am!?

sorry for the hijack.
please carry on.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

I also agree that 4dr Integra's are hott. Here is a pic of my gsr before I sold it to buy my Cl. I loved that car and miss it but it was time to move on. It had a 98spec Type R swap and i ran it up to 9000rpm pretty much everyday for the 3 years I owned it and I never had any problems. Funny thing, I came across it about a month ago for sale on Honda-Tech. It is still running strong with the same setup.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by osiris152006
I also agree that 4dr Integra's are hott. Here is a pic of my gsr before I sold it to buy my Cl. I loved that car and miss it but it was time to move on. It had a 98spec Type R swap and i ran it up to 9000rpm pretty much everyday for the 3 years I owned it and I never had any problems. Funny thing, I came across it about a month ago for sale on Honda-Tech. It is still running strong with the same setup.
i'd had to have bought it back, that car is really nice
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I love Integra GS-R sedans

It really is too bad thieves love these cars, otherwise I would have owned one a long long time ago.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm in

Originally Posted by vwong
Thanks to a fucking drunk driver.....

http://vwong.net/db8-rip.html

What a nice GSR... so sad...
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm in

I have 2000 GSR and the one thing I hate about it is the unwanted attention... Such as cops pulling me over (for no reason, its the attention this car gets), or 18 year-olds trying to race me.

I get asked by random people if I would sell my car... On numerous occasions I get shady looking people circling my car as if they're casing it.

Other than unwanted attention, my GSR is a solid car. I have no exhaust on it, I don't want it to sound loud. Just and AEM V2 intake. I highly recommend suspension upgrades such as coilovers, and JDM Type-R sway bar. Clean wheels too such as Sly's...

Can't go wrong with this car, other than its highly stolen and its hard to fine clean titled ones.

I wouldn't boost it if you want to keep it economical.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
It's quite bad in Oregon (fellow resident here), the police will follow you if you're in certain types of vehicles. I had a '91 Prelude and simply did not like the attention, the tailgating and the idiots trying to start something. My RL gets completely ignored and I love it.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm in

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
It's quite bad in Oregon (fellow resident here), the police will follow you if you're in certain types of vehicles. I had a '91 Prelude and simply did not like the attention, the tailgating and the idiots trying to start something. My RL gets completely ignored and I love it.
I couldn't agree more.

In my 3G TL i was never bothered, same with my B7 A4... but in the GSR, it can be ridiculous at times.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 PM

Yeah.... imports get a ton of shit it seems, no matter where it is. I basically did a burnout once in a u-turn in my Camaro (dumb, I know.... I just got it and was a big headed teenager) lo and behold a little farther down the street there were 2 police cars parked along the side. Uh oh.... hope they didn't hear that.... yeah right, my car is loud as hell. An officer shook his head and shined his flashlight at me as I passed by, but that was about it

Another time, while stopped at an intersection a lowered Del Sol with a ricey body kit followed by a Prelude made a left turn in front of me, and the police car in the left lane made a u-turn to follow them. sucks.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by vwong
Tell your friends to f off. Integra sedans are hot, especially GS-R sedans. I miss mine.
Gorgeous Integra man, you put it together real well, I'm sorry that kid messed it all up for you.

Looking at yours, I wish the one I'm getting was white...dark green will have to do..

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of buying a GSR