I'll see your flaming Durango...and raise you a "quality" Chevy Cruze!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 AM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl

Really?

Yea, really!

It's called sarcasm, didn't think I needed red text.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I would assume if/when it happens its not a wide spread problem.

BUT...a little research does reveal at least 2000 Cruze's were recalled for this issue. I wonder if its a bad parts supplier.
A quick analysis of the metal would reveal this. Chevy right now is analyzing the metal in its steering wheel components. That metal look like it sheered right off, almost like the mom yanked it off. The spline shaft looks like it was not torqued down correctly.

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 04-13-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
That assumption would appear to be incorrect according to the 3 or 4 car news sites I checked.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...an-detach.html
2011 Chevrolet Cruze Recalled Because Steering Wheel Can Detach

Published Apr 11, 2011

8 Ratings
Just the Facts:

* General Motors is recalling 2,100 2011 Chevrolet Cruze sedans because the steering wheel can detach from the steering column, according to NHTSA.
* GM issued a stop-sale order on the sedans, but says the problem is "an isolated incident."
* There was no crash and no one was injured in the one incident that GM reported to the federal government.

WASHINGTON — General Motors is recalling 2,100 2011 Chevrolet Cruze sedans because the steering wheel can detach from the steering column, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"During manufacturing, the steering wheel could have been improperly fastened and may detach from the steering column," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "Should the steering wheel detach from the steering column while driving, the driver could lose the ability to steer the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash."

GM issued a stop-sale order on the sedans, but says the problem is "an isolated incident."

"The daughter of a Cruze owner driving on March 14 experienced the separation of the steering wheel from the column," said GM in other documentation filed with the federal government. "She was able to guide the vehicle to the side of the road. There was no crash and no one was injured."

GM told NHTSA that "the owner (of the aforementioned Cruze) has said she is willing to accept another General Motors vehicle in place of this vehicle. We are pleased she is staying in the GM family."

GM said it has made changes to the assembly process so that "the tool used to fasten the steering wheel cannot operate if an incorrect part number is read by the tool's scanner."

"We inspected more than 2,100 vehicles at the assembly plant and found no issues," GM said. "Additionally, in order to confirm our findings, we asked GM dealers to immediately inspect vehicles in their possession and inform GM engineering of the results. To date, GM has inspected more than 650 vehicles at dealerships with no issues."

Chevrolet dealers will inspect to verify that the steering wheel is assembled properly. The recall has begun. Owners can contact Chevrolet at (800) 630-2438.

or

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...73764F20110408

(Reuters) - General Motors Co is recalling about 2,100 Chevrolet Cruze small cars to inspect for an improperly fastened steering wheel after discovering one vehicle with the defect.
Originally Posted by silver3.5
a one time incident wouldn't have led to a recall.
Kinda looks like it was
Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
how can Sarlacc stick up for a car when the steering wheel falls off?? really? Taking a car to its basic elements, that's one of the most important systems in a car.

:awaitingsarlaccsquoteandresponsetomyresponse:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
how can Sarlacc stick up for a car when the steering wheel falls off?? really? Taking a car to its basic elements, that's one of the most important systems in a car.

Did you even read that there was only 1 incident of it
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Kinda looks like it was
Looks like it was one incident and Chevy was quick to remedy it. Usually recalls are done with more than one incident or complaints. Good for Chevy but bad for publicity and probably sales. We'll wait and see if any more steering wheels will come off.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
now is the time to go buy one of these, rip the steering wheel off and crash the car into a pole or a wall. Then money starts rolling in
Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL

Yes youre right...

Bad car! bad bad bad car!!!

Nevermind what make you are....BAD CAR!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
^ yea it could have but it didn't. I have never never heard f a steering wheel falling off.
I work in the auto industry and have personally seen both Mercedes and BMW's have similar things happen to them. Every make and model will have some catastrophic failure.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
I work in the auto industry and have personally seen both Mercedes and BMW's have similar things happen to them. Every make and model will have some catastrophic failure.
I doubt this could happen to a BMW, I've removed a few BMW steering wheels and I recall the spline teeth design are much wider and deeper. Those teeth on the Cruize wheel are extremely fine so I can understand how it could have occurred. The rational I'm guessing is that GM engineers allow the factory workers to center up the steering wheel with just the wheel instead of adjusting the tie rod ends which required more time and alignment effort.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
So you have personally seen a MB or BMW's steering wheel fell off too?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Got pics? I've never seen that happen on a BMW. I've worked on quite a few (thousands) and encountered some weird stuff, even on cars that were just delivered off the truck, but never anything as serious as that. If the car has a lot of miles on it and has had tons of work then its not the same since there are plenty of hacks out there who cause weird issues.

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I doubt this could happen to a BMW, I've removed a few BMW steering wheels and I recall the spline teeth design are much wider and deeper. Those teeth on the Cruize wheel are extremely fine so I can understand how it could have occurred. The rational I'm guessing is that GM engineers allow the factory workers to center up the steering wheel with just the wheel instead of adjusting the tie rod ends which required more time and alignment effort.
It has nothing to do with the splines. That wheel fell of due to a part failure. It looks like the center of wheel fell out where the bolt holds it to the upper steering column. That or the threads stripped out inside the steering column.

Last edited by mclarenf3387; 04-14-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Got pics? I've never seen that happen on a BMW. I've worked on quite a few (thousands) and encountered some weird stuff, even on cars that were just delivered off the truck, but never anything as serious as that. If the car has a lot of miles on it and has had tons of work then its not the same since there are plenty of hacks out there who cause weird issues.

It has nothing to do with the splines. That wheel fell of due to a part failure. It looks like the center of wheel fell out where the bolt holds it to the upper steering column. That or the threads stripped out inside the steering column.
The threads in the column do not look stripped at 40-50 seconds into the video. My guess is the was either the bolt was not properly torqued or maybe it's threads got striped. My point is the spines are very fine and unless there was a compression force put on them via the bolt, they are useless to allow the steering wheel to turn (they could have been also damaged when the wheel was installed if the splines were not aligned). I've only seen BMW and Honda steering columns and they have much deeper and wider spline shafts.