I test drove the new 2002 Maxima 6-speed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 08:26 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove the new 2002 Maxima 6-speed.

I just stop at a local dealer to check the new 2002 maxima.

First, I sat in the show room, fully loaded 2002 auto.

Least to say, I am impressed. It get even more features than TL-S with the excpetion of few feature.

1) Trip Compture, Mpg, miles to empty, elapsed time, average speed, etc... ( Acura, why can't we have that ???)
2) Head restraing system for both front seats ( anti-wiplash thing).
3) It has a auto-exit feature that push back the driver seat when you take out the ignition key. ( I use Seat Mem 2)
4) heat steering wheel
5) Auto up/ down for both front windows.
6) Moon roof with stepped settings ( .2 .3 .5 .75 100 ) openings

Maybe more....

Engine:
1) Variable length intake system (not only 2 steps like ours)
2) Variable Capacity muffler system
3) Variable VTEC like i-Vtec

It does not have a:

1) VSA.
2) NAV is CD-based. not DVD.
3) passenger sensing system (not sure if they have it)
4) heat mirrors ( Not sure)
5) flip down right mirror

I test drove the 6-sp:

1) The ride is as quiet as my CL-S if not better ( I have low profile tires)
2) The car is fast, In first gear the red line will come very very fast .. I almost hit the rev limiter....
3) at 6th, at 70MPH, 2200 rpm so the 6th is like our 5th.
4) The ride was rattle free.
5) the Egine is super smoth and quiet and fast reving.
6) the car is very fast...

The down side:
1) body roll is less than stock but not like my CLS with Comptech sways....
2) The Clutch is bit long and high...
3) I am NOT impressed with the 6-speed gear box. It has long throws, and there is no click click feel... and you can not find the gears easily. Missing a gear is just has to happen.... The sales rep insisted that I need to get used to it.... Oh I love the Acura SS... If we have a SS with 0.2 sec shifting time, that is a killer!

Oh, The sales rep was dying to sell me a 6-sp Max, He even said "I can throw the NAV ($2000) at no cost!!"

That is in short the outcome of my visit to the local Nissan dealer.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds pretty nice...too bad it has FOUR doors.

Shawn S
Old 12-06-2001, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
the should bring back the 240...call it the 250 SX silvia baby
Old 12-06-2001, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I found pretty much the same thing when I drove one. Except there is noticeably more road noise in the Max than in my CL-S. But that's probably mostly due to the Kumhos... I think they're quieter than the stock Michelins. I also had no qualms about the 6spd.
Overall, it's a great car. It's even more under-tired than the CL-S though and it needs suspension mods like the CL-S. But it's definitely faster. Considering the power to weight ratio and the 6spd, I would think high 13s are attainable with the right tires and launch. That engine is a GEM!
Old 12-06-2001, 10:06 PM
NHB for FUN

I wonder what 0-60 times are for maxima...
with auto?
with manual?
I was really considering the maxima
it's got everything you need.
it's very fast
but design is really bad, I don't know how they came up with that crap.
Plus it's too common. I think CL-TL has much more class to it.
It's not widely used. Not CL for sure.
I kinda envy maxima's speed though. That engine seems to really kick ass.
But you can't compare CL's auto with manual.
That's not really fair.
When CL comes out with 6-speed then we can compare the two.
But it's a relly nice car - reliable, fast, luxurious, and for the same or even less money then TL-S
But, design and it's wide-spread really turned me away.
I was into Acura from the start anyways
Old 12-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Maxima ... my take is short and sweet ... nice engine, looks are not my style, my local Nissan dealer sux ... no Maxima for me.

6-speed for CLS ... vroom vroom
Old 12-06-2001, 11:36 PM
Type S personality

I like 4 doors so I won't have to move to let people out. Definitely think the CLS is better looking than the TLS.

I bought a 2002 6 speed Max and almost completed the break-in period. I do like the TLS, CLS, but I don't like the owners in my area. :o
Old 12-07-2001, 01:04 AM
Pro

One thing to keep in mind is how old the Maxima chassis is.

Struts up front & a BEAM axle in the back.

Now , in 2003 when it goes over to the new Altima chassis
with the new all independent suspension up front , it will
be a better handling car.

I still think double wishbones at all 4 corners along with shocks
NOT struts is better.

BMW does great with front struts though & the back end can be easily tweaked with the right foot.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:42 AM
Instructor

My wife and I both test drove Maxima when she
was looking for a new car. We both thought
it looked and felt very cheap inside. Doors
were feather weight and they copied CL/TL interior design. I think Nissan put the money into motor but had to cut somewhere to keep a competitive price and they did it with interior.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:01 AM
Instructor

hmmm

I drove Maxima 6 spd about a month before I decided to purchase a CL. I could get the maxima fully loaded forr 27000 thru my job. I did not want it for a number of reasons.

Comfort---interior seems cheesy to me, leather is like pleather...nothing jumps out and says wow to me..

Drive...the car feels like a big ass boat...although the engine is the best 6 cylinder I have ever driven(sorry acura)..Plus this car is wicked fast

Radio---the worst I have ever heard in a new car....so bassy it sounds like crap....NO clarity.. Give me the cl stereo any day of the week.

Looks...Maxima is ok looking from the front and side but the ass is horrible...overal the car looks like a family sedan with big tires.....
My impressions of the Maxima and Altima are about the same...the engine rocks....the rest is either "eh" or it sucks.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Maximas only have 1 good thing, FAST. Everything else sucks. Besides I would rather be driving an Acura than a Nissan. Its different class. Try going into a nice restaurant/hotel in a Nissan, people wouldnt even glance at u, now with an Acura, at least they'll take a peek, maybe a smile if you are young. Speed and power you can always add later on, but the class you cant. To a hot chick, the brand of the car means alot. Who cares even if they cost the same, they wont know that, they are dumb. hehe
Old 12-07-2001, 08:02 AM
Type S personality

>Maximas only have 1 good thing, FAST. Everything else sucks. >Besides I would rather be driving an Acura than a Nissan. Its >different class. Try going into a nice restaurant/hotel in a >Nissan, people wouldnt even glance at u, now with an Acura, at >least they'll take a peek, maybe a smile if you are young. Speed >and power you can always add later on, but the class you cant. >To a hot chick, the brand of the car means alot. Who cares even >if they cost the same, they wont know that, they are dumb.

How old are you?? If you are so superficial as to say chicks are dumb and dig your car more, give yourself a shake.

People who knows cars are able to praise other cars, just like people with character can speak highly of other people. I chose the car I have because it fits my wants and needs. To a lesser degree, people can choose Nike vs NB vs Reebok. That doesn't mean "the road not taken" is a bad one. I don't speak lowly of Hyundai's, domestics, etc. They are just not for me.

As for class, if you need some "material things" so people will look at you, perhaps there is some self-worth issues. You are what you are because of dignity, integrity. If you need to spend $$ to make people respect you, get better service, etc, hmm...

You don't BUY class. You learn and choose to be and act classy.
Having said that, would you think it is feasible to buy a ROLOLEX and try to impress some 'chick' with what you have rather than who you are?
Old 12-07-2001, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
>
How old are you?? If you are so superficial as to say chicks are dumb and dig your car more, give yourself a shake.

People who knows cars are able to praise other cars, just like people with character can speak highly of other people. I chose the car I have because it fits my wants and needs. To a lesser degree, people can choose Nike vs NB vs Reebok. That doesn't mean "the road not taken" is a bad one. I don't speak lowly of Hyundai's, domestics, etc. They are just not for me.

As for class, if you need some "material things" so people will look at you, perhaps there is some self-worth issues. You are what you are because of dignity, integrity. If you need to spend $$ to make people respect you, get better service, etc, hmm...
First im 21. I didnt mean it the way u thought i meant. I understand what u r saying. All I am saying is that not everyone in this world think like that. Most of my friends are really rich so we go to "high class places" sometimes and when i pull up in my camry before, u can see the attitude that valet guy and the waitress, even the people look at you. You feel like you dont deserve to be there. And I dindt say all chicks are dumb, im saying alot of the ones that you NEED to know to get ahead in this world are(ur company's CEO's daughter for ex.). All they look at is your outside. I don't agree on that kind of thinking but I have no choice to follow what the world is thinking.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Instructor

THe worst is when ur gf's parents look down on you 24/7. They never used to look or talk to me. They thought I was some low life with a camry. I guess you woudlnt know the feeling until ur actually there. for the past year, even when me and my girl would go out, they would make me take her bmw cause my camry wasnt good enough. I guess you get that attitude when ur making over $300k. Now after I got the car, then they started thinking im a little bit worthy and started talking to me. I guess what im trying to say is there are some things in this world that you cant control. Im sorry if I sounded like an ass before.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:49 AM
Type S personality

Ah ok

Thanks for the clarification. The key is what YOU think, and not what others think. I don't mean to be inconsiderate, but happiness from external source only go so far. I have male friends who are overlooked because they are blue-collar workers.

Me, I try to be functional, respectful, considerate etc. I don't dress fancy, and am not into Tommy Hilfiger, as I can't even spell it. Some people look at someone with "NAME" clothes and get excited. If I see a nice Hugo suit and it is feasible then I might get it. I don't spend $$ on self to please other people.

The bottom line, doesn't matter what other things, as long as you are being considerate, responisible. Be happy with what you have, strive to be a better person daily, give to others, love you neighbours etc. No, I am not preaching
Old 12-07-2001, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

It has resistant sensor on the windows too. The sales proved that with one arm stucking out of the window and then press the window up button... It stopped, but it gotta hurt
Old 12-07-2001, 10:58 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

You can add to maxima:

1) Folding back seats
2) You acn open. close the driver window with the ignition key in the lock.
3) You can auto open the windows with Key FOB.

And maybe more...