I might get the new c230k

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we paid $31k + OTD on our TSX w/ navi, and $37,500 OTD on the c230 and we are located in Los Angeles
Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by biker
Well, it is an entry level luxury 4 door sedan with a 4 cyl engine.
isn't that what the TSX suppose to be
Old 07-20-2004, 09:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Well, it is an entry level luxury 4 door sedan with a 4 cyl engine.

No argument there, but I said in my eyes. I said the same thing back when MT compared the two. Just not 2 cars I'd cross shop, but thats me.

TSX NOOB. A difference of $6,500. Not quite 10K but still some serious change to some people, myself included. Again, I'm not disparaging the C just saying that it SHOULD feel more refined and better built considering the name plate and price. And that seems to be the general consensus from members and reviews so far.

domn, who now prefers MB over BMW, which was'nt the case 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX noob
isn't that what the TSX suppose to be

I think he made that comment because I said the two weren't competition.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by domn
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The C is my eyes is'nt competition for the TSX. Maybe its because I live in Canada where a comparable C is more than 10K the price of a TSX.
What is competition for the TSX then? If not a 4-cyl lux/near-lux sedan, then what?

10K more... Canadian?? That's not that much, eh?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

whoah, a lot was posted since I started that reply
Old 07-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Advanced

domn: IMO performance wise BMW is still better than the MB, but that's what the wife wants, that's her car.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcg878
What is competition for the TSX then? If not a 4-cyl lux/near-lux sedan, then what?

10K more... Canadian?? That's not that much, eh?
No I dun think C230 is a competitor of TSX too.... C230 is not refine enough, well build enough, reliable enough to compete. IMO.

After I got my 6sp tsx(actually test drive it), I can't live with the notcy manual tranns of my E46 ne more. And 1 of my friend traded in his CLK320(he keep insist that his CLK is better than my 328) for a 6sp tsx 1 week after he drove my tsx(he can't sleep and keep thinking how can a Honda be that better than a MB). So how I can keep faith and praise on a German! But sure I will get flame again by some1 just consider German or even some1 never own a German.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saintor
Yes, at 33K$ get a TL. Or a 325Ci; at least it has a 6-cyl.
or just go all-out & get VW Phaeton it has a 12-cyl.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Instructor

In the US it's all about the prestige or percieved image of what one drives. You are what you drive in the US. On the other hand, there are also those of us that are moreso interested in the driving experience of their automobile vs the prestige of the hood ornament.

The TSX won Car and Drivers 10 best for it's driveability and it's value.
The C230K is an excellent car, I came very close to buying one so don't get me wrong, but it's emphasis is somewhat different, Its a luxury car first and a sport sedan second .. that combined with it's price X'd it from C&D's 10 Best contenders list.
But those of us who are moreso into the luxury and prestige factor then I can totally see the affinity towards the Baby Benz...
Old 07-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Advanced

I think you are getting bad info. DMC has only a marginal association with Mits/Hyundai and shares next to nothing with them. Actually other than giving them a few left overs, MB shares little with Chrysler for now.
And what you will find in most cars nowdays is that most problems don't come from drivetrains - it's all the other crap that they stick into cars that are failing.
Biker, I don't want to split hairs or get this thread too off track, but MB has little say over what Chrysler is given by DaimlerChrysler. Daimler *is* the parent of both of those companies. From Jeep all the way to the precious MB's, Daimler has shown to be prone to problems. Hell, I even remember a friend of mine buying a brand new Neon (... I know) and the dash started smoking on the drive home from the dealership. Hello, POS?

Furthermore, here is a quote that I can link you to if you so desire later:
Originally Posted by website
The companies´ [read: mitsubishi, hyundai, daimler/chrysler] strategic alliance will include the following:
- Joint development and manufacture of a family of four cylinder gasoline engines between DaimlerChrysler, Hyundai Motor and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.
- Distribution of Hyundai Motor´s Atos and Verna (Accent) passenger car models into the Mexican market through DaimlerChrysler´s affiliate
- Joint procurement activities
- Supply by DaimlerChrysler of medium duty engines (OM 906) to Hyundai Motor for medium buses
Anyway, my point is, and remains, even without someone else telling me they are crap, I've seen enough of it with my own eyes and will steer people away from them just as I do with GMC now. (2002 Pontiac Trans-Am WS6 is owned presently and it's a crapper.)

Good luck in your own ventures, however.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by toddstuh
In the US it's all about the prestige or percieved image of what one drives. You are what you drive in the US. On the other hand, there are also those of us that are moreso interested in the driving experience of their automobile vs the prestige of the hood ornament.
Don't you find it a bit odd you make this statement while driving an "Accord" that was rebadged to appeal to the US snob factor you mentioned?

/bill
Old 07-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbradley
Don't you find it a bit odd you make this statement while driving an "Accord" that was rebadged to appeal to the US snob factor you mentioned?

/bill
nice.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Instructor

As someone who owns both the TSX and a C230K, I can say that they are different cars in feel, ride, and materials used. They are both good cars and depending on what area of the country you live in, the price difference can be less tha $4000. Heres a list of my positives and negatives of both cars.

TSX positives
6 speed manual
handling
guages
price
seats (very subjective)
looks (the TSX has grown on me)
engine ( nice for a large 4)

Negatives
BRAKES
Turning circle
poor standard tires
rattles (may be just my car)
Lights ( sharp cutoff makes hilly corners very nerve racking)
non lit steering wheel controls ( getting picky here)

C230K positives
Solid feel
handling (my car has the amg sway bars)
engine (very smooth for a small 4 and has good torq)
Panoramic sunroof (one of my favorite features in the car)
rear wheel drive (I just like it)
instrument panel computer

negatives
Guages( older C series has dated guages IMHO)
position of window switches and cruise control
Nav (older command system not nearly as good as the TSX nav)
Stereo (no standard in dash cd and non Bose systems are not that good.

Overall they are both very good cars. If reliabilty is your main concern, then the TSX is probably a better choice, although there is no guarantee of a trouble free car.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Good write up johns.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johns
As someone who owns both the TSX and a C230K, I can say that they are different cars in feel, ride, and materials used. They are both good cars and depending on what area of the country you live in, the price difference can be less tha $4000. Heres a list of my positives and negatives of both cars.

TSX positives
6 speed manual
handling
guages
price
seats (very subjective)
looks (the TSX has grown on me)
engine ( nice for a large 4)

Negatives
BRAKES
Turning circle
poor standard tires
rattles (may be just my car)
Lights ( sharp cutoff makes hilly corners very nerve racking)
non lit steering wheel controls ( getting picky here)

C230K positives
Solid feel
handling (my car has the amg sway bars)
engine (very smooth for a small 4 and has good torq)
Panoramic sunroof (one of my favorite features in the car)
rear wheel drive (I just like it)
instrument panel computer

negatives
Guages( older C series has dated guages IMHO)
position of window switches and cruise control
Nav (older command system not nearly as good as the TSX nav)
Stereo (no standard in dash cd and non Bose systems are not that good.

Overall they are both very good cars. If reliabilty is your main concern, then the TSX is probably a better choice, although there is no guarantee of a trouble free car.
but i kind of like the C-class gauges and interior.. it feels of a higher quality.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Advanced

in my case the C230 is the car if I'm taking my wife to a nice fancy dinner and for my spirited driving I use my WRX
Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gilboman
but i kind of like the C-class gauges and interior.. it feels of a higher quality.
I agree that the interior is of a higher quality than the TSX, but the guages (which have grown on me) are kind of dated compared to the TSX. I am talking mostly about the amber color and the lack of a temp guage. The new C class seems to have fixed this, although some people on the Mercedes site prefer the old gauges to the new ones.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Acura is marketing speak

Originally Posted by bbbradley

/bill
I have always been envious of the high performance Hondas that were sold abroad but were previously unavailable here in the US. Unfortunately when they finally bring one to the US, we haven't much of a choice but to buy it at your local ACURA dealership. That unfortunately is the way Honda sells this performance sedan in the US, under a contrived name that doesn't exist anywhere else except in the US&Canada. Personally I would've been just as satisfied with a K24 Accord if it weren't for the tepid styling. I own a Honda Pilot as well... which will chirp the tires when shifting to 2nd gear...but it has the same chassis & drivetrain, sans the chrome as the "Acura" MDX for about 10K less.

Read Car and Drivers last review of the C320 in the 35K sedan comparison where it came in next to last. It's as I'd said, the C class is a great car but it's priorities are luxury first, sport second. The TSX holds it's own against the A4 and the 325i which is pretty commendable but the car was designed with those competitors in mind.

I purchased the TSX for it's excellent engine, performance and value....and certainly not it's PLASTIC grill & emblem. I guess to some that translates to snob appeal but once you open the hood,the engine still says HONDA on it.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddstuh
I have always been envious of the high performance Hondas that were sold abroad but were previously unavailable here in the US. Unfortunately when they finally bring one to the US, we haven't much of a choice but to buy it at your local ACURA dealership. That unfortunately is the way Honda sells this performance sedan in the US, under a contrived name that doesn't exist anywhere else except in the US&Canada. Personally I would've been just as satisfied with a K24 Accord if it weren't for the tepid styling. I own a Honda Pilot as well... which will chirp the tires when shifting to 2nd gear...but it has the same chassis & drivetrain, sans the chrome as the "Acura" MDX for about 10K less.

Read Car and Drivers last review of the C320 in the 35K sedan comparison where it came in next to last. It's as I'd said, the C class is a great car but it's priorities are luxury first, sport second. The TSX holds it's own against the A4 and the 325i which is pretty commendable but the car was designed with those competitors in mind.

I purchased the TSX for it's excellent engine, performance and value....and certainly not it's PLASTIC grill & emblem. I guess to some that translates to snob appeal but once you open the hood,the engine still says HONDA on it.
just want to know..where do you get the idea the TSX holds its own against a 325i when all the mags have pointed out its no 3 series?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

just want to know..where do you get the idea the TSX holds its own against a 325i when all the mags have pointed out its no 3 series?
Gilbo, hold its own does'nt mean its equal its means it competes, even you can admit to that.

BTW Gilbo why not join us Aug 8 at Mospoprt to watch the TSX "more than hold its own" against the 325 in the Speed Touring car race
Old 07-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Can you say Real Time Racing ?!

Thanks for the clarification Domn.

Yes, the TSX isn't a 3 series, but as I'd said it holds it's own against the 3 series. Just look at the real time racing teams recent Road Ohio results where the TSX defeated an entire field of over a dozen 3 series.... this might have been luck but that's not too shabby for a 4 cylinder.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Advanced

its not just the car, but also the driver