I love my old beat up Yukon with its pushrods

Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
I love my old beat up Yukon with its pushrods

It's no secret that I'm a huge GM fan. Were I buying American I needn't even look at the other two; that's not to say they don't make good cars either, but you know. I prefer GM, big time. If I had 60k for a truck? Black GMC Sierra Denali HD with the Duramax, thanks. No looking back.

I have a 2003 Yukon SLT w 70k. it's not mine, but it sort of is. Might as well be. It's at my disposal, and doesn't really get driven much (belongs to my family, hardly driven). But I love it. It's scratched up, has hail damage, dinged up, probably not worth much but it runs and drives perfectly--and I love the way that it does everything. More on that in a sec.

It pretty much sums up GMs strengths and faults (at least that model year and "era"). Sure, the dash is ugly, hollow if you bang on it, and the hood release thingy has popped out of the trim. The CD player is ugly too, and is shared in pretty much everything from GM. The key and keyfob are cheap. The power windows are slowing down. The horn is PATHETIC.

But, in the almost 9 years I've been driving it, I can't think of one time I've successfully fooled the transmission or not gotten a shift "right now" when needed, or not smiled to myself when I hear (but not feel) the huge, old school Chevy pushrods screaming at close to 6000RPM. It's hardly what I call a "fast" car, at 6000lbs, but it's definitely quick for what it is. It's about an 8.5 second vehicle 0-60, but feels MUCH quicker to me. I can think of several, several, SEVERAL times I've been stared at in awe/disbelief as I've blown past someone. The truck NEVER feels as if it's underpowered, and this is just the 5.3. Never had the pleasure to drive a 6.0 Denali, Escalade. Credit to the strengths of a Chevy small block and a damn good automatic transmission, even if it is considered archaic now with only 4 gears. Try to fool it, just for fun. You can't. The way they tuned the throttle shift mapping (or maybe it's "learned"?) makes the thing feel incredibly light on it's feet, especially off the line and under about 40. If you pull out from a stop light/sign on the gas it won't immediately upshift; it holds it for a sec. Even after it does settle down into second if you are driving sedately, it will SLAM back down into first faster than you can floor the pedal if needed, which is basically what I meant when I said I'm very impressed with the responsiveness of it. GM knows how to make powertrains. Drive my truck and then an Expedition of the same year. If you like a nicer interior, sure; different strokes. But I'll take the vehicle where the extra money was put into the powertrain, and it's so clearly evident that this is the case with my truck. Go drive an '03 Expedition/F-150 and the difference is night and day. The way this Vortec is so willing, so eager to scream (being an OHV), tranny so ridiculously eager to kick down RIGHT NOW, and how it all sounds so DAMN GOOD doing it, well it's why said vehicle IS NOT an '03 Expedition Eddie Bauer. It's also why I love the CTS-V spanking all the Germans with basically the same motor, but clearly tuned up/tricked out. They can all suck on the Caddy's pushrods. Lol. Watch youtube videos of Vettes, CTS-V's, they actually sound somewhat similar (albeit much more powerful and faster revving) to the V8 in my Yukon.

Another thing that I love is, Ruby, being beat up as she is, is still an immensely capable and sound truck. Only 70k on the clock. She's been driven hard, through alot, towed a boat for 5 summers, beaten up all to hell (maintained like clockwork, though), and it still feels and runs tight as a drum. I actually prefer driving her to my TL sometimes because it's so freakin' easy. One finger is all the wheel takes, and said engine and tranny (even when driven sedately) are so competent and seamless you hardly notice what revs you're at or gear you're in. It's just nice to not have to shift once and a while, and this auto does it with the best of them. The throttle linkage, the way the gas petal feels and operates (so, so easy) is something lots of car makes should take notes on. No, this is no MB S550 on the highway, but the ride seems almost luxury-car smooth to me, and I actually prefer it to my Acura in terms of highway ride comfort. The gas mileage? Not so much. Lol.

I'm always driving behind brand new 403 HP 6 speed Yukon Denalis, and just wonder how ridiculously fabulous they must be to drive, if I get such pleasure out of my nearly decade old one. Really, it's a pleasure to drive. No wonder these (and GM half ton pickups) sold like hotcakes.

I'm not a huge HUGE fan of (new era) American cars, with the exception of a few. But trucks? We can definitely do those. I plan for Ruby to last me AT LEAST another decade and 100k miles, easily.

One more thing, that hideous tape CD deck as a part of the admittedly ugly dash? The Bose stereo attached to it is hands down one of the best I've ever experienced in any car, EVER. I guess that's what I mean. There may be some rough edges, but the money goes where it counts. This is why I prefer GM.

An '03 Expedition may have a suaver interior and less plastics, but flatfoot that at 30 MPH and you'll frown instead of grin as I do in my GMC.

Just felt like sharing.

Guess this makes me a Chevy guy ).

Last edited by MrX123; 09-06-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Duplicate sentence
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Pro

And BTW this isn't a slam to Ford/Chrysler. But, let the debate begin. Oh, Ford's new 6.2? Big deal. In 2007 Yukon Denalis were posting 6.2 second 0-60 times with it's 6.2L. EcoBoost? Very, very impressed, honestly, but nah, I'll stick with an American V8.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I gave up brand loyalty many years ago because I believe it doesn't serve my needs to be linked to one brand of vehicle. I my youth I was a solid Chevy man and just knew there was nothing better for the money (this was the 60's). But as I got older, I realized that brand loyalty is a foolish path to follow.

That being said when in the market for a new vehicle, my first recourse is to see what American companies have to offer me. If they have nothing of interest, I move on to something else. It's really that simple. Right now, the only car that Chevy makes which might interest me is the Corvette. As for GM in general, it would include the Cadillac CTS-V. But right now, I would be very reluctant to buy a "Government Motors" vehicle.

As for Ford, they turned me towards them with my '88 Mustang LX 302CID (I hate the term liters when applied to American cars). One of the most reliable and well built cars I have ever own, that little 302 was as solid as a rock. And yes, it was a pushrod engine. I currently have a 2001 Ford Ranger pickup and would not hesitate buying another one.

The small block Chevy engine is legendary. Very few engines have managed to serve buyers as this one has and especially when one considers it has been around in one configuration or another, since 1955. Hard to fault something so near perfect.

I'm pleased you are so enamored with your Yukon and have such good things to say about it. Nothing wrong with spouting off your likes and experiences with something that has served you so well.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
It's your money. I wouldn't buy one, but it seems like the trucks/suvs at least held up pretty well.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Meh it's a gas guzzling truck with an 80s era plastic interior. I see nothing special there.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
...ok
Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Dear Acurazine......
Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm all for GM doing well and supporting the American economy. That being said, I recently had the opportunity to drive and ride in a 2010 Yukon Denalli. I can't believe GM has the nerve to charge $60K for that thing. Sure, it drove nice but the interior plastics were atrocious... more like what I would expect in a Kia. It had 30K miles but the doors creaked like you would expect out of an old Jeep with many more miles, interior plastics were falling off, and the fake wood trim was peeling from the dash. Everytime I went to open the door from the interior, I thought I was going to break the flimsy pastic handle. I couldn't believe that poor quality of materials was actually used at that price point. At least use cheap metal to make it seem more upsale. The materials on my mothers old '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee felt more luxurious to the touch.

Like I said, I'm all for GM, Ford, and Chrysler succeeding and making a comeback. However, in this day and age, GM is going to have to step up their game. Producing and outputting products like that is a disgrace. No wonder the Japaneese, German, and Korean automakers are beating us at our own game. I'm glad there are loyal followers like you who still believe in these companies. I want to believe in theirproducts but its difficult to when the competition is so far superior.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
So harsh, guys!

Now many of you have had a car that was just your buddy, your reliable, your go-to car. I like stories like the OPs because he's obviously got a good relationship with the truck.

Don't tell me you guys don't have a favorite car or truck from your past (or present), that you just whale on and it just keeps going and going and going.....

I agree with SouthernBoy, slavish brand loyalty is silly (just look at all the former Acura owners who post here in Car Talk), but I understand what the OP is trying to say here.

Rock on, OP!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Meh it's a gas guzzling truck with an 80s era plastic interior. I see nothing special there.
Coast around for a sec at 30 and floor it. You may not think it's special, but it will at least make you say, "Damn, not bad for a 6000lb vehicle." This truck has towed a boat for years and years, been ragged out like CRAZY its whole life, beaten up off road paths, and still the powertrain is ROCK-SOLID. I don't give a shit if the interior is chintzy (it still works and the leather looks good), I just love the way it drives in general, and how it will snap your neck back when power is summoned. To me, those are attributes of a good and well-designed truck. I've driven many comparable Fords; sure the interiors are nicer, and the Triton does have some oomph and gets the truck up to speed okay, but it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (doesn't rev fast, no high rpm HP rush, nothing..for an OHC motor???) on a GM truck engine. That's what matters to me in a truck.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sclass88
I want to believe in theirproducts but its difficult to when the competition is so far superior.
Wow. Sorry you had a bad experience with a brand new one. The ones I've seen seemed to have pretty good fit and finish; better than mine. But then again, (even though it's a $60k vehicle), I'm not expecting LS460 quality in there. The money went to it being a truck, first and foremost. Tow a 2 ton boat for 6 years and the tranny still shifting like new is what I'm concerned about, and they deliver that with flying colors.

Not gonna debate who is superior now, but back then in 2003 these were near--if not at--the top.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
If the OP were talking about an Audi or a BMW, this would be a giant circle jerk at the moment I'm with you guys on the brand loyalty thing though.... luckily I gave that up very shortly after my teens.

I too love what GM and Chrysler are doing with 2-valve/cyl pushrod V8s. It just works. The OHV design by nature just has more low end torque. Given the right aerodynamics and gearing as well, you can achieve over 30 mpg on the highway too, like in the Corvette.

I also prefer GM trucks (Toyota as well for the Tacoma and it's predecessors). But I will buy what I like the most for the right price, regardless of who makes it or where it's from/manufactured in. GM automatic transmissions are generally well regarded too, at least in stock form. There's a reason why BMW used GM 5-speeds in some of their cars. Hell, I think some of them still do. Their powertrains are among the best.... it's a shame that the rest of the cars have yet to come up to par. I'm excited to see what the next Camaro and Corvette will be like, because the latter is getting long in the tooth and the former just has an ugly-looking interior.

Just love the Gen 3/Gen 4 GM V8s. I like it even more when it's bolted up to a Tremec 6-speed. Incredibly flexible powertrain. My Camaro isn't as nice or as capable as my friends' STis or Evos but it's just more fun to drive
Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Costco

I too love what GM and Chrysler are doing with 2-valve/cyl pushrod V8s. It just works. The OHV design by nature just has more low end torque.
Exactly. And what dumbfounded me from the day it was new and still does to this day is how it will happily run to redline with no strain, no harshness; it's almost like it's an overhead cam motor. That's what I was saying about the Fords. Smooth, semi-powerful, but there is (by comparison) absolutely NO high rpm horsepower rush, and it doesn't rev NEARLY as freely.

Originally Posted by Costco
GM automatic transmissions are generally well regarded too, at least in stock form. There's a reason why BMW used GM 5-speeds in some of their cars. Hell, I think some of them still do.
They're pretty much the best in the business. Take your pick, BMW, Rolls Royce, Bentley, even Mercedes used them at one point if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Pro

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-bRiaZMBT8Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>

This is what I mean. It kicked down to first before the gas was even floored (and trust me, I NAILED it). Revs quite quickly to redline for an old school pushrod. Sounds DAMN GOOD too.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ajt123
Coast around for a sec at 30 and floor it. You may not think it's special, but it will at least make you say, "Damn, not bad for a 6000lb vehicle." This truck has towed a boat for years and years, been ragged out like CRAZY its whole life, beaten up off road paths, and still the powertrain is ROCK-SOLID. I don't give a shit if the interior is chintzy (it still works and the leather looks good), I just love the way it drives in general, and how it will snap your neck back when power is summoned. To me, those are attributes of a good and well-designed truck. I've driven many comparable Fords; sure the interiors are nicer, and the Triton does have some oomph and gets the truck up to speed okay, but it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (doesn't rev fast, no high rpm HP rush, nothing..for an OHC motor???) on a GM truck engine. That's what matters to me in a truck.
What matters to me in a truck is durability and long term performance. You speak as if no other truck has done as much as your Yukon. Throughout the years, my trucks have been used to haul and pull extensively. Three thousand pounds of feed in the box and eight thousand pounds behind them. Started in -40 weather and used immediately. Some have gone over 300 000 on the clock and haven't had a valve cover removed. My business uses trucks as commercial vehicles and they are expected to be workhorses. And by far the best have been the Fords.

I recently purchased another, a 2011 F150 5.0 that is a marvel of smoothness and performance. A 4V DOHC, all aluminum design, the coyote is an example of evolving technology. The GM products I drove for comparison seemed lethargic and crude by comparison. The Dodge Ram, equipped with a 5.7 "Hemi" (quotation because the new hemi shares little with wonderful elephants of yesteryear and is more of a marketing approach) felt much livelier and more refined than any of the GM offerings as well.

Last edited by teranfon; 09-06-2011 at 10:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
65 Fury Convert (09-07-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by teranfon
What matters to me in a truck is durability and long term performance. You speak as if no other truck has done as much as your Yukon.
Not really; I'm just saying that it's been through quite a bit. I never said noone on AZ can own a truck/SUV that they've abused/worked the shit out of, nor did I say that my Yukon is the end-all, be-all example of a beater. But it's had a helluva lot more of that than 95% of the million others I see on a daily basis, and it has held up quite well. It was worth the cost.

I recently purchased another, a 2011 F150 5.0 that is a marvel of smoothness and performance. A 4V DOHC, all aluminum design, the coyote is an example of evolving technology. The GM products I drove for comparison seemed lethargic and crude by comparison. The Dodge Ram, equipped with a 5.7 "Hemi" (quotation because the new hemi shares little with wonderful elephants of yesteryear and is more of a marketing approach) felt much livelier and more refined than any of the GM offerings as well.
Keep in mind that I'm talking about a 2003 MY vehicle. You name me a Ford truck that had a powertrain that could hold a candle to it's GM counterpart of that year. And keep in mind I"m talking about the standard 5.3L. I'm not even comparing the 6.0 in the Escalade to the (same 5.4 as in F-150) Navigator, which is laughable.

Ford is so ahead of the game, right? Is that why their brand new PowerStroke doesn't even come close to hanging with the Duramax? I mean, now that they've FINALLY gotten a diesel right.

All I meant was that based on my experience with my truck, I wouldn't be thinking, "Oh Gee I should've gotten the Ford DOHC" every time I stepped on the gas if I bought a new one with the 6.2. GM has more than satisfied me with their powertrains. Not to mention they look a 10000000% better in my eyes.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Not really; I'm just saying that it's been through quite a bit. I never said noone on AZ can own a truck/SUV that they've abused/worked the shit out of, nor did I say that my Yukon is the end-all, be-all example of a beater. But it's had a helluva lot more of that than 95% of the million others I see on a daily basis, and it has held up quite well. It was worth the cost.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about a 2003 MY vehicle. You name me a Ford truck that had a powertrain that could hold a candle to it's GM counterpart of that year. And keep in mind I"m talking about the standard 5.3L. I'm not even comparing the 6.0 in the Escalade to the (same 5.4 as in F-150) Navigator, which is laughable.

Ford is so ahead of the game, right? Is that why their brand new PowerStroke doesn't even come close to hanging with the Duramax? I mean, now that they've FINALLY gotten a diesel right.

All I meant was that based on my experience with my truck, I wouldn't be thinking, "Oh Gee I should've gotten the Ford DOHC" every time I stepped on the gas if I bought a new one with the 6.2. GM has more than satisfied me with their powertrains. Not to mention they look a 10000000% better in my eyes.
Wow........

It certainly seems to have upset you that I have a varying opinion. And that's what it is, a varying opinion. I have mine, and you are certainly entitled to yours. You claim that particular vehicles are "laughable" and that again is your privilege. I confidently list plenty of what I feel to be better powertrain choices other than the one you obviously adore, but it seems as if you would only belittle it as you have everything else. Obviously, you consider your opinion beyond scrutiny. Most others, fortunately, aren't so blinded by brand loyalty that they can see that all manufacturers offer good products.

All hail the 2003 GMC Yukon. Unequivocally, the best truck ever produced.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Pro

Wow........

It certainly seems to have upset you that I have a varying opinion. And that's what it is, a varying opinion. I have mine, and you are certainly entitled to yours. You claim that particular vehicles are "laughable" and that again is your privilege. I confidently list plenty of what I feel to be better powertrain choices other than the one you obviously adore, but it seems as if you would only belittle it as you have everything else. Obviously, you consider your opinion beyond scrutiny. Most others, fortunately, aren't so blinded by brand loyalty that they can see that all manufacturers offer good products.

All hail the 2003 GMC Yukon. Unequivocally, the best truck ever produced.
Haha. I love how people try to mask their drama queen-ness by attempting to lay it on someone else. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's kind of a fact that (at least in 2003) GM, truck powertrain-wise, beat Ford easily. There's a reason they sold 39490239203290 Escalades, and about 19 Navigators. Comparing the 6.0L to the boat anchor in said Navigator is pretty laughable, my friend. You don't need to turn my affirmation of the truth into something as dramatic as me attempting to belittle you or Ford.

Until now, you couldn't take Ford seriously, truck powertrain-wise. That is also a fact. I'm sorry facts insult you.

I'm glad you're happy with your new Ford truck; all I was saying (again) is that based on satisfaction with my truck, I'd probably buy GMC again and NOT cry because I'm missing out on a Ford "revolutionary" Coyote. Vortec would suit me just fine.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Haha. I love how people try to mask their drama queen-ness by attempting to lay it on someone else. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's kind of a fact that (at least in 2003) GM, truck powertrain-wise, beat Ford easily. There's a reason they sold 39490239203290 Escalades, and about 19 Navigators. Comparing the 6.0L to the boat anchor in said Navigator is pretty laughable, my friend. You don't need to turn my affirmation of the truth into something as dramatic as me attempting to belittle you or Ford.

Until now, you couldn't take Ford seriously, truck powertrain-wise. That is also a fact. I'm sorry facts insult you.

I'm glad you're happy with your new Ford truck; all I was saying (again) is that based on satisfaction with my truck, I'd probably buy GMC again and NOT cry because I'm missing out on a Ford "revolutionary" Coyote. Vortec would suit me just fine.

Ok, whatever you say.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Pro

Precisely.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts

JnC (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm no expert but hasn't Ford's trucks outsold GM's trucks for nearly 40 years now? To me that says that they are doing something right whether you choose to believe it or not. There's more to a powertrain than acceleration and pulling boats. Before you trash anything non-GM why not test drive it first? Maybe because you're afraid you might prefer it to your Chevy? Not ragging on you, just an opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gfaze:
teranfon (09-07-2011), tmnhs81 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I bet it can pass anything but a gas station!

Glad you love your truck. That's how I feel about my honda
Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Gfaze
I'm no expert but hasn't Ford's trucks outsold GM's trucks for nearly 40 years now? To me that says that they are doing something right whether you choose to believe it or not. There's more to a powertrain than acceleration and pulling boats. Before you trash anything non-GM why not test drive it first? Maybe because you're afraid you might prefer it to your Chevy? Not ragging on you, just an opinion.

I never said Ford made bad trucks, I just stated the FACT, that, until now (how many times must I repeat this??) Ford has been YEARS behind the competition when it comes to their motors. GM (and everyone else) ran circles around Ford in the powertrain department, until now. GM trucks, while not "fast" cars, don't feel slow. All Ford trucks I've ever driven did, and that's a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I'll take the word the of the guy who has owned several vehicles and beat the shit out of them on a daily basis for his career, sorry.

A lot of us feel the way you do about a particular vehicle we own/owned...but total blind brand loyalty...well, it makes you come off as a 16 year old kid who just his first car.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I'll take the word the of the guy who has owned several vehicles and beat the shit out of them on a daily basis for his career, sorry.

A lot of us feel the way you do about a particular vehicle we own/owned...but total blind brand loyalty...well, it makes you come off as a 16 year old kid who just his first car.

I love how these get turned into gigantic pissing contests.

It's been established that I am happy with my GMC, and would probably buy another. Brand loyalty doesn't make someone an idiot like a lot of you claim. I'd buy a Rolex over a Cartier without even looking either, does that make me an idiot? Or just decisive? I know what I like.

BTW, I'm still waiting on someone to give me an example of a 2003 Ford truck that will satisfy me the way the 5.3 does in my Yukon.

....Still waiting.......

That was my only point. I like Fords, too. But I'll always drive a Chevy truck.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 PM
The Third Ball

I love how these get turned into gigantic pissing contests.

It's been established that I am happy with my GMC, and would probably buy another. Brand loyalty doesn't make someone an idiot like a lot of you claim. I'd buy a Rolex over a Cartier without even looking either, does that make me an idiot? Or just decisive? I know what I like.

BTW, I'm still waiting on someone to give me an example of a 2003 Ford truck that will satisfy me the way the 5.3 does in my Yukon.

....Still waiting.......

That was my only point. I like Fords, too. But I'll always drive a Chevy truck.

There is no pissing contest coming from anyone other than yourself with "factual" claims.

So, I guess this means you are just pissing on yourself?
The following 5 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
65 Fury Convert (09-07-2011), JnC (09-08-2011), mrsteve (09-18-2011), teranfon (09-07-2011), tmnhs81 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Pro

I'm crushed you're going against me and not going to buy GM the rest of your life, really.

BTW, there are an equal amount of human beings (if not more) who will say the EXACT same thing about their Chevys being better beaters than Ford. I respect his opinion and am glad his Ford work trucks have held up well, but it's not like there aren't millions of Chevy owners who wouldn't say the exact same thing.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Pro

lol

There is no pissing contest coming from anyone other than yourself with "factual" claims.

So, I guess this means you are just pissing on yourself?

Originally Posted by AJT123

....Still waiting.......
Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 PM
The Third Ball

2003 SVT Ford Lightning.

/thread
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,083 Posts
^ Damn beat me to it!

Ford re-introduced the Lightning in 1999 based on the new-for-1997 F150. The new truck features an Eaton supercharger to boost power. Produced from 1999 through 2004, a total of 28,124 trucks were made. The truck was only offered as a two-door standard-cab truck, with step-side bed. The truck offers 360 horsepower and 440 lbs-ft torque, and records a 6.2 second 0-60 time.

For 2001, the truck receive several upgrades. The air intake manifold offers improved airflow, to yield 20 additional horsepower to reach 380hp. Torque also improves to 450 ft-lbs. Resulting 0-60 times have dropped to 5.8 seconds. The truck features an aluminum driveshaft, and a 3.73:1 rear axle ratio. Mono-tube Bilstein shocks improve handling, while the passenger side shock is repositioned in front of the axle to reduce axle-wrap.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
How can there be facts about an opinion?
The following 3 users liked this post by CocheseUGA:
65 Fury Convert (09-07-2011), CLtotheTL32 (09-07-2011), teranfon (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
I'm in shock that the OP went after Terry and Sarlacc. I mean, Terry presents his opinion based on hundreds of thousands of miles using multiple brands of trucks in a business setting (a lot more than the OP has), and it gets discounted because the 2003 MY Yukon is just a better truck? And 70K miles over a 9 year life makes it better truck than multiple models / brands over hundreds of thousands of miles? And the OP's experience with other trucks is......?

The better answer, instead of being an egregious ass like you are coming off as, is to say that other companies may make better vehicles but IMO, I think the Yukon is a great truck.
teranfon (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I feel stupid just for posting in here. I only read the first post.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
2003 SVT Ford Lightning.

/thread
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Just the facts...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing that makes me laugh the most is that in the first couple lines you state the truck is not even yours...but then you take ownership for the truck and, of course, your opinions.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
When Terry laughs at you, you might as well give up on life.
mrmako (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Pro

2003 SVT Ford Lightning.

/thread
I'll give you that one, but I overlooked it because I've seen 3 in my lifetime. Not really in the same league as to what I'm talking about. I'd buy a Lightning to take to shows and drag race, not tow boats and beat up on for a decade. So technically, yeah. But are you knowledgeable guys honestly trying to say that the Ford 5.4 Triton even comes close to the Chevy small-block? It's OHC, yet doesn't rev as freely. More sophisticated, but NOTICEABLY slower. Explain to me how I'm wrong here. That's all I've asked, several times. I'm sorry I offended people when I said that a Navigator's powertrain is laughable compared to an Escalade, but, well, it's the truth. You have a 6000lb suv that goes from 0-60 in 7.4 seconds versus one (that was 6k more expensive) that does it in 10. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is the better setup. My original point was that GM obviously puts more money into the powertrains, while their interiors suck. This is a general statement, but the case usually with GM is spotty fit and finish, superb powertrain. To me, output is more important. Sheesh, that's all I was saying.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrmako
I'm in shock that the OP went after Terry and Sarlacc. I mean, Terry presents his opinion based on hundreds of thousands of miles using multiple brands of trucks in a business setting
Take a xanax for your shock.

I certainly don't recall "going after" anyone. On the contrary, I said (more than once) that I'm glad so-and-so is satisfied with their Fords. I don't recall saying the man was full of shit and has no credibility. All I'm saying, AGAIN, (AGAIN!) is that until this year, Ford was extremely far behind everyone else (not just GM) in the powertrain department, and they were. That's great that they make great beaters but I don't like slow cars. I know you all are the end-all, be-all experts of everything, but I'll trust all the professional testers, not to mention I've never ridden in/driven a Ford truck that didn't feel underpowered. GM trucks don't. I also can't remember reading any publication (again, until THIS YEAR) where the truck WAS NOT criticized for it's lack of power. I really don't feel like wasting my time researching and copying all of it to here, and I shouldn't have to, because it's common knowledge!

Also, again (AGAIN!), for every person who says they think Ford makes the better work truck, there is an equal amount of consumers who will say the same thing about Chevy.

That doesn't mean I'm insulting whomever about their experiences with Fords.

Originally Posted by mrmako
The better answer, instead of being an egregious ass like you are coming off as, is to say that other companies may make better vehicles but IMO, I think the Yukon is a great truck.
It clearly has its faults. Re-read my OP. The interior sucks, feels cheap, the button detents are pathetic, the horn sounds about as good as a 90's Civic, the CD player is the same one out of a Cavalier (though it's a superb Bose setup), and worst of all, that hideous, rectangular, hollow dash. It's not a perfect truck. But it never feels slow, and the way the powertrain operates makes up for it. There are others who would choose a better interior with a less competent powertrain; I'm not one of them, and that's ALL I WAS SAYING!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I love my old beat up Yukon with its pushrods