I drove a new Civic Si 6MT today

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove a new Civic Si 6MT today

It's coming up on the one year anniversary with my '07 TL-S 6MT, and I'm entertaining the idea of going back to a 4 banger. Fuel economy is really driving this endeavor, but I want to stay with something fun to drive.

Before the TL-S, I owned an '06 TSX 6MT. Considering that my TL-S is a consistent mid-5 second 0-60 car, the fuel economy isn't too bad I suppose... but it still isn't great. I miss the economical nature of my former TSX, even though the best 0-60 I could squeeze out of her was 6.71.

In addition to considering a lightly used '06-'08 TSX, I checked out the '09 TSX and was disappointed. I've also thought about a well equipped Civic Si sedan, and today I drove one.

After throwing that J35 around for almost a year, that little K20 feels really anemic. It was practically brand new, so I didn't beat the hell out of it... I'm sure once it's broken in and you rev it to 8000+ RPM, it's probably not that bad. My first impression though was that it needs more twist down low. I remember the K24 in my '06 TSX being a nice balance of midrange pull and high end power. This K20 had a pretty linear powerband up high, with a noticeable change in sound at about 6000 RPM or so. It sounded nice.

I thought the Si felt really nice on the road--the ride was decent and the car seemed reasonably responsive. The steering seemed a little light to me, but I got used to it. I still think the steering in my TSX was superior. In fact, I think the weight and feel of the steering in my TL-S was better.

I found the car very easy to drive. The DBW felt much more agreeable than my TSX, was similar to my TL-S. The clutch and shifter were very easy to use, and after only 3 or 4 blocks I was pulling off shifts that were more seamless than an automatic.

I never got to toss it around a lot but it felt like it had some promise in the fun-to-drive department. I took a few quick turns and the car never felt like it was upset by that. It certainly felt lighter and more reactive/nimble than the big TL-S, as expected.

Overall it seems like a nice car, but I think now that I'll pass. The steering just doesn't cut it for me, and the engine is too much of an unknown. I enjoy a high revving engine of course, but I'm not sure how versatile this one will be in the real world.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The TL Type-S does EVERYTHING better than the Civic Si, including handling. Fuel economy is the ONLY negative. TL Type-S > Civic Si coupe/sedan.

I have the same car as you do, and it would be hard for me to downgrade to a Civic, albeit an Si.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read a number of articles recently about the concept of trading in a lower mileage vehicle for something more fuel efficient. Mind you, the articles are generally talking about full size SUV's being traded for a hybrid. The articles clearly state by the time you factor in the loss of value on your trade, taxes, fees, etc...you never really make up for the expenses in fuel savings.

That being said, it would be even less likely if you trade in a 22mpg TL-S for a 26-28mpg TSX or Civic Si. You are looking at about 100 gallons of gas difference over a year (assuming 12K miles a year). That is a $400 savings. How many years would you have to keep the next car for this to pay off?

If you like your TL-S...its power, steering feel, features, etc. Keep it and know that you could be getting a lot worse mileage in some other vehicles (pretty much any SUV or truck).

Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ As gas prices continue to rise it may soon be a wise financial move to get a more fuel efficient vehicle.

To the OP, I am not a fan of the 09 TSX, but had a 04 and loved it, while not a fast car by any means it offered fair performance for the level of economy it offered. I wanted a little more out of it and with a few basic bolt ons(header, intake/K&N filter) it became quicker and as an added bonus got better fuel economy as well, if I planned on keeping it I would have had the hondata reflash, and had even better performance and fuel economy. Perhaps you should try to find a killer deal on 06 TSX(latest model you can get a reflash for) and add a few basic bolt on's(also include a larger rear sway bar) and you'll have close to what your looking for.

I like the civic for what it is, but I don't think it would be the right move. Then again if you drive a lot and feel gas prices are going to skyrocket you'll be well served with a vehicle that offers, what you feel is, good fuel economy.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
^^^ As gas prices continue to rise it may soon be a wise financial move to get a more fuel efficient vehicle.

To the OP, I am not a fan of the 09 TSX, but had a 04 and loved it, while not a fast car by any means it offered fair performance for the level of economy it offered. I wanted a little more out of it and with a few basic bolt ons(header, intake/K&N filter) it became quicker and as an added bonus got better fuel economy as well, if I planned on keeping it I would have had the hondata reflash, and had even better performance and fuel economy. Perhaps you should try to find a killer deal on 06 TSX(latest model you can get a reflash for) and add a few basic bolt on's(also include a larger rear sway bar) and you'll have close to what your looking for.

I like the civic for what it is, but I don't think it would be the right move. Then again if you drive a lot and feel gas prices are going to skyrocket you'll be well served with a vehicle that offers, what you feel is, good fuel economy.
Gas would have to be $8/gal for a 5mpg differential to be economically justifiable unless you made an even trade.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
A few weeks ago in NJ people were lining up at gas stations on a Friday in anticipation of the gas increase for the week-end. Honestly, I paid $5 more than usual to fill up the day after. It's not as bad as people say.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,842 Likes on 2,582 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
A few weeks ago in NJ people were lining up at gas stations on a Friday in anticipation of the gas increase for the week-end. Honestly, I paid $5 more than usual to fill up the day after. It's not as bad as people say.
In the small term...youre right its not.

But nearly 3 years ago when I bought my truck it cost around 40-45 to fill up...now its 60ish.

To tack on to what everyone else is saying... I have a piggy of a truck...just the nature of it. But I owe nothing on it...so, its counter productive to the pocket book to add on a new car payment to "save" on gas.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by charliemike
Gas would have to be $8/gal for a 5mpg differential to be economically justifiable unless you made an even trade.
That may not be a joke in a few years.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Drinking Beer In

I traded down from a GTO, doubling my gas mileage and getting $3500 back, to boot.

Originally, I bought an '06 Si, but the interior was pretty cheezy IMO. Also, I know I'm supposed to be in awe of Honda's ability to get these high HP numbers out of small displacement engines, but frankly, I don't want a daily driver that revs to 8000 rpm.

Clearly, the GTO spoiled me and made me a torque junkie, but vtec on the Si didn't even kick in until 6500 rpm!

Sold the Si after a month, bought an '06 Miata for the same price, with leather. Life is good.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I don't understand the whole downgrading phenomenon. Fine, if you commute 20,000+ miles a year, then get a fuel efficient vehicle like a Prius. But like its been said, the savings negligible once the incurring fees are added on.

While it may not be a wise financial move to buy a different car and sell your current one, I think it would be satisfying/worthwhile IF you're bored of your current car and want something different. Say if you had a roadster for a few years and wanted to buy a small sedan, sure. I don't think its worth it to get rid of a fun/nice car in exchange for a boring ride even if I pocket a few thousand in the process. I'll just regret my decision, and be reminded of what I did every time I drive the car. Unless you're on the brink of financial suicide then I don't see what the big deal is.

Hell if I ever drive a Prius and only a Prius. Sure, the extra 25-30 mpg would be nice but its still not worth it to me. If it was, you'd see me driving one. And if you think it is, why AREN'T you driving one?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:52 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I don't understand the whole downgrading phenomenon. Fine, if you commute 20,000+ miles a year, then get a fuel efficient vehicle like a Prius. But like its been said, the savings negligible once the incurring fees are added on.

While it may not be a wise financial move to buy a different car and sell your current one, I think it would be satisfying/worthwhile IF you're bored of your current car and want something different. Say if you had a roadster for a few years and wanted to buy a small sedan, sure. I don't think its worth it to get rid of a fun/nice car in exchange for a boring ride even if I pocket a few thousand in the process. I'll just regret my decision, and be reminded of what I did every time I drive the car. Unless you're on the brink of financial suicide then I don't see what the big deal is.

Hell if I ever drive a Prius and only a Prius. Sure, the extra 25-30 mpg would be nice but its still not worth it to me. If it was, you'd see me driving one. And if you think it is, why AREN'T you driving one?

I said it another thread...I might be retarded but I'm still serious about wanting a challenger...I just cant help it.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

IMO, when gas prices quickly reach the point where the trade in would be worth it, that wont be your issue.

Trying to buy a gallon of milk for $10, or a carton of eggs for $6 ...thats gonna be the issue.

Besides, if my 2.4L turbo brick can get 24mpg, the sedans on this board should be able to as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i really need to change my spark plugs when i get home... :sigh:
Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
If the OP really wants to save some money, he/she should opt for a Civic EX 5MT. That said, the fuel savings between the Si and TL-S is fairly negligible for average driving. My wife gets bet 26-28 mpg in mixed driving with our AV6 5AT; as such it has become her primary vehicle as she drives much further than I do.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Seems the op was really focusing on the performance aspect of both cars, with that being the case you are not going to get good mileage with either car. I would just hold on to the TL and tone down the heavy acceleration, save that for a weekend drive.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
That may not be a joke in a few years.
I wasn't kidding. Gas is definitely more expensive but the hysteria around fuel economy is making people make stupid financial decisions.

As I mentioned I think 5mpg is the minimum level of fuel economy increase needed before trading vehicles makes sense. At an even swap. If there's cash involved then that has to be accounted for in the trade-off.

If it's +5mpg but you can go from premium to regular then it's a no-brainer as there's upwards of a $.30+ price differential between the two grades at most places around here.

Again with diesel, because of the 12%+ price differential between regular gas and diesel, and then the extra cost of a diesel engine, you need to be at least +15mpg.

Obviously, if someone drives 8k miles a year it probably doesn't make much of a difference. If they drive 15,000+ miles then we start to see pretty big numbers in savings.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 AM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I own an 08 SI and have put about 12k miles on it. It's a great car. IMO its a verstaile car that can give you good gas mileage or fun performance. Just because it has a 8k redline does mean every shift will be at 7.5k. For optimal fuel economy you shift around 2.5-3k. The higher RPMs are always there for when you need them. This car does beg you to run in a gear lower than you should. If you should be in 3rd, you'll want to run it in 2nd so it's just itching to snap ur neck back and start screaming. LOL But it'll empty the gas tank that way.

The car handles great, the are some rattles but thats almost a given with Honda/Acura. I haven't had ANY issues with my car thus far. It's good in the snow also. The AC compressor is a tad bit weak but the car will burn you alive in the winter time. LOL It fusses a bit when trying to start in weather under 30 degrees but always does. The seats are very supportive/comfy for long trips. The interior materials arent the best and can scratch easily.

I think for $23k OTD I got a reliable DD with decent performance and good gas mileage. As with most honda/acuras it'll run forever if properly maintained.

A few other tidbits:
- The paint is kinda thin, which is nothing new for HOndas
- The steering is kinda light but you get used to it. I hated it when my g/f got her 07 but I got used to it. Kinda just dawned on me.
- It's hard to mod it at this point if thats your kind of thing.

Last edited by sonnyboyacura; 05-20-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
This article pretty much sums up what I have thought for the last couple years regarding hybrids and older used cars regarding mileage

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/the-ultimate-pr.html
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
The TL Type-S does EVERYTHING better than the Civic Si, including handling.

~2800 lb vs. ~3500 lb

Yeah that 700 lbs just falls away in the twisties.

I suppose you smoke M5's all the time too?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

^^^

I just downgraded to a 98 Integra GS-R Sedan from a 6spd CL-S. I knew going in that the Integra is a much better handling car and I'm not biased towards what car I own as my validation. I had previously owned a '97 GS-R Sedan as well.

Anyone wanna buy my CL-S?

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 05-20-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Drinking Beer In

I don't disagree. There's a lot of panic selling right now. In my case it made sense, first and foremost, because I have 4 cars and have been unemployed for 8 months. I'm "retooling" (back in school), so something had to give.

Plus, when I bought the goat, I was driving 35 hwy miles a day (commute) - 22 MPG. Now that I've joined the ranks of the unemployed, it's all urban and it's 14 mpg.

The OP should leave well enough alone. The '07 TL is a fantastic car, and while not a gas sipper, the mileage isn't bad enough to warrant a change.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sonnyboyacura
- It's hard to mod it at this point if thats your kind of thing.

As of '03 and '04 the newer honda and acura's were getting harder and harder to mod.

Integra and older gen Civic FTW.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM
2010 SHAWD

I'd have to agree that you should prolly keep the Acura. If you were simply looking to buy a new car without an existing vehicle, I'd highly recommend the SI. I believe it gives you the best of both worlds. But since you have a car that's decent on gas, I wouldn't "downgrade" to the SI.

IMHO if you downgrade, you need to get a prius or a regular civic to get MAX fuel economy. The SI can achieve awesome MPG but it takes a concentrated effort.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 AM
2010 SHAWD

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

As of '03 and '04 the newer honda and acura's were getting harder and harder to mod.

Integra and older gen Civic FTW.
Not to stray too far from helping the OP. I think that I'm going to wait until the warranty expires before modding. I probally won't do anything too serious. I/H and maybe a supercharger down the line. I'm sure they'll crack the barriers sooner or later. Being my DD, I don't expect much from this car other than being reliable. I'll have a weekend car in due time.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

Not to stray too far from helping the OP. I think that I'm going to wait until the warranty expires before modding. I probally won't do anything too serious. I/H and maybe a supercharger down the line. I'm sure they'll crack the barriers sooner or later. Being my DD, I don't expect much from this car other than being reliable. I'll have a weekend car in due time.
I'm doing the same with my teggy, intake, headers, and suspension. don't know how much farther I want to go without sacrificing reliability either.

K, back on topic.

Civic SI Sedan is a great looking car. I would love to own one in white.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
The Third Ball

I'm doing the same with my teggy, intake, headers, and suspension. don't know how much farther I want to go without sacrificing reliability either.

K, back on topic.

white or black

I love them, very fun to drive.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd have to agree that you should prolly keep the Acura. If you were simply looking to buy a new car without an existing vehicle, I'd highly recommend the SI. I believe it gives you the best of both worlds. But since you have a car that's decent on gas, I wouldn't "downgrade" to the SI.

IMHO if you downgrade, you need to get a prius or a regular civic to get MAX fuel economy. The SI can achieve awesome MPG but it takes a concentrated effort.
That's cool. I assumed the fuel economy difference would be more than you all are making it out to be, but I guess not. I based that assumption on the fact that my TSX got me at least 5mpg better in mixed driving than the TL-S, and perhaps as much as 7mpg higher sometimes on the freeway. I figured that with the Si being smaller, lighter, and having a slightly smaller K series engine, it might be able to do 2 mpg more on top of that.

I'm sure part of my problem is that I have a hard time staying out of the throttle in the TL-S. Maybe I should just disable a couple of the injectors on the TL-S?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
2010 SHAWD

Originally Posted by junktionfet
That's cool. I assumed the fuel economy difference would be more than you all are making it out to be, but I guess not. I based that assumption on the fact that my TSX got me at least 5mpg better in mixed driving than the TL-S, and perhaps as much as 7mpg higher sometimes on the freeway. I figured that with the Si being smaller, lighter, and having a slightly smaller K series engine, it might be able to do 2 mpg more on top of that.

I'm sure part of my problem is that I have a hard time staying out of the throttle in the TL-S. Maybe I should just disable a couple of the injectors on the TL-S?

I can get 30-35mpg on the highway if controlled driving. Normal driving, city/highway mix, I got 25 mpg.

If you have a hard time staying off the gas in the TL, it'll be worse in the SI. Just for the simple fact that all the power is up top. You want the power, you want the sound of the banshee engine hollering at the top of its lungs and you sacrifice at the pump for it.

It's good on mileage if you keep the RPM's down. It's fun to drive when you wring it out. I like to have that choice. It's a good car and like any other it has it's issues. I'll be more than glad to elaborate further if you have any specific questions.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
2010 SHAWD

K, back on topic.

Fuji Blue Pearl is where it's at. I too prefer the sedan. The tail end of the coupe is too feminine for my tastes. The tail of the sedan reminds me of the Audi's a tiny bit. It has a nice aggressive look to it.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts

+1
Old 05-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Race Director

good review
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Unless you're downgrading to a Smart Fortwo or something like that, getting rid of your TL-S wont financially change your life that much. You'll just be an unhappy guy driving a slow car. (Yes, the K series engines aren't that powerful feeling around town for the milage they offer.)
Old 05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Race Director

yep i know that myself with the TSX.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM
2010 SHAWD

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Unless you're downgrading to a Smart Fortwo or something like that, getting rid of your TL-S wont financially change your life that much. You'll just be an unhappy guy driving a slow car. (Yes, the K series engines aren't that powerful feeling around town for the milage they offer.)
While I agree that he shouldn't downgrade, I do disagree that the K20 is "slow".
Old 05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

While I agree that he shouldn't downgrade, I do disagree that the K20 is "slow".
Anyone that says that has no clue how drive a 4 cylinder Honda
Old 05-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
Anyone that says that has no clue how drive a 4 cylinder Honda
Riiight, I never wrung out the K24 in my 06 TSX, and dont know what the acceleration characteristics of a Honda 4 banger are

Any K-series powered Honda is going to feel like a turd compared to a J35 TL-S, end of story.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

The K24 and K20 are VERY different beasts my friend. The cars are slower than the J35 6's I'll give you that. But the K20 is no slouch.

From a roll, when its on the cam, that motor is just plain nasty.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
The K24 and K20 are VERY different beasts my friend. The cars are slower than the J35 6's I'll give you that. But the K20 is no slouch.

From a roll, when its on the cam, that motor is just plain nasty.
Thats the beautiful effect of of a narrow powerband way up top. It gives you the sense of intense acceleration. That's one appeal of Hondas, they feel faster than they actually are, usually.

That, compared to the unending surge of speed in a car with a broad torque curve... those cars don't "feel" fast but usually are, and at much a wider range of RPMs.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 AM
2010 SHAWD

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Riiight, I never wrung out the K24 in my 06 TSX, and dont know what the acceleration characteristics of a Honda 4 banger are

Any K-series powered Honda is going to feel like a turd compared to a J35 TL-S, end of story.
Of course I'm a bit partial to the K20 but am able to be honest about what is and what it can do. That being said, you're doing the engine a disservice by lumping it together as just another 4-banger.

I've driven a loaner TSX in the past and I believe that there is a decently sized difference between the 24 and the 20. Nobody is comparing the K20 to your precious J35 but calling the K20 "slow" is simply inaccurate IMHO. Some would classify your J35 slow and that wouldn't be accurate. It may be slower but not outright slow.

I was recently reading that the k20 gets about 100HP per liter and that this stat is kinda of special? Is this true? Is 100hp/liter not common? Please educate me. LOL

Quick Reply: I drove a new Civic Si 6MT today