I drove a BMW 328 Steptronic (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 05:31 PM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove a BMW 328 Steptronic (long)

A co-employee had a loaner car today which was a 328 with the steptronic (I think that is what they call it.) He let me drive it to comment on the difference between that and the CLS. I won't comment on anything other than the transmission as it wasn't a fair fight (it was a 328 not the 330)

1) Shifting was smoother from gear to gear. Did not feel as much "jump" between gears. This was both on the upshift and the downshift. I especially notice the 3rd-2nd downshift on our cars is very harsh.

2) It allowed you to downshift to 1st and did not auto upshift to 2nd. I thought that I would like this, but did not. 1st gear is more of an annoyance than anything else. Acura made the right decision.

3) When you initially shift into sportshift mode, the car remains in automatic mode until you make the first shift - up or down. I liked this.

4) It prevented you from shifting into a very low gear at high speeds - similar to ours - at 90 it would not let you get back down to 3rd for example.

5) When in sport shift mode, if you stomped
on the gas, it would downshift whether you told it to or not. I was in sportshift mode, I was in 5th; I floored it; it downshifted twice to 3rd without me hitting the shifter - I thought that was maybe okay - you could argue it both ways. HOWEVER, it would not then upshift automatically. So as I hit high speeds, it would not go back to 4th or 5th - I had to shift it up. This is really different than ours and again, you could argue it both ways on which is preferred.

6) The delay when you sport-shifted between gears was about the same as on ours. It was about the same in both directions - but again it was smoother than ours which I liked.

Those are the differences which I noticed. Questions?

Another employee is getting a 330ci in a few weeks and then I will get some good compares - I might need some headers to compete!

Sorry for the length.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, Road Salt Finish by Mass DOT, only 1 scratched rim

[This message has been edited by MikeS 18 (edited 01-26-2001).]
Old 01-26-2001, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Comment on (5):

I though out car does downshift for you when you stomp on the gas in SS mode, doesn't it?
Old 01-26-2001, 05:36 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike,

Once you decide on Headers... count me in, I am itiching to get springs, sways, headers and maybe CAI at one shot... Woahhh, that is big investment !

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 01-26-2001, 05:41 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RandyMax:
Comment on (5):

I though out car does downshift for you when you stomp on the gas in SS mode, doesn't it?
</font>
Really?! I don't think so but now you got me wondering. Anyone?

NNH - I can't afford any of this - My house renovations aren't paid for yet!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, Road Salt Finish by Mass DOT, only 1 scratched rim
Old 01-26-2001, 05:42 PM
Racer

I drove my girlfriends friends 330ci a few weeks back. I was very impressed. It was very peppy, but maybe not as much as the cl-s. The handling, however, was much better imho. Much lighter and more direct. I guess that's rwd for ya. I'd have to say if they were the same price I would have gone with the 330ci. But no way is it worth the extra 10-12k. BTW she had the sport&premium packages.

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-26-2001, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice analysis Mike.... I personally prefer the firmer shifting of the CL-S. It's funny but a buddy of mine with a BMW went for a ride in my CL-S today and said he liked the firmer shifting better. He also said that the CL-S shifted faster. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I always liked firm shifting tranys and upgraded my autos with shift kits.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-26-2001, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
A co-employee had a loaner car today which was a 328 with the steptronic (I think that is what they call it.) He let me drive it to comment on the difference between that and the CLS. I won't comment on anything other than the transmission as it wasn't a fair fight (it was a 328 not the 330)

1) Shifting was smoother from gear to gear. Did not feel as much "jump" between gears. This was both on the upshift and the downshift. I especially notice the 3rd-2nd downshift on our cars is very harsh.

2) It allowed you to downshift to 1st and did not auto upshift to 2nd. I thought that I would like this, but did not. 1st gear is more of an annoyance than anything else. Acura made the right decision.

3) When you initially shift into sportshift mode, the car remains in automatic mode until you make the first shift - up or down. I liked this.

4) It prevented you from shifting into a very low gear at high speeds - similar to ours - at 90 it would not let you get back down to 3rd for example.

5) When in sport shift mode, if you stomped
on the gas, it would downshift whether you told it to or not. I was in sportshift mode, I was in 5th; I floored it; it downshifted twice to 3rd without me hitting the shifter - I thought that was maybe okay - you could argue it both ways. HOWEVER, it would not then upshift automatically. So as I hit high speeds, it would not go back to 4th or 5th - I had to shift it up. This is really different than ours and again, you could argue it both ways on which is preferred.

6) The delay when you sport-shifted between gears was about the same as on ours. It was about the same in both directions - but again it was smoother than ours which I liked.

Those are the differences which I noticed. Questions?

Another employee is getting a 330ci in a few weeks and then I will get some good compares - I might need some headers to compete!

Sorry for the length.

</font>
good work mike. but I still love my CL-S

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Comment on (5):

</font>
It definitely does NOT do this. I tend to put the car in SS mode without putting my brain in SS mode and then floor it in 5th and nothing happens! DOH! *Click* *Click* *VROOOOOOM*

Old 01-26-2001, 06:53 PM
Adult Supervision

Don't get me wrong...I like mine better than the BMW. The only feature which I liked better is the fact it stayed in automatic until you shifted after sliding into sportshift.

------------------
Old 01-27-2001, 01:26 AM
Banned

Comment on (5):

</font>
Only in 2nd. If you stomp on it in 2nd, it will downshift to 1st if possible. All other gears require a manual downshift in SS mode.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 01-27-2001, 01:54 AM
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
Only in 2nd. If you stomp on it in 2nd, it will downshift to 1st if possible. All other gears require a manual downshift in SS mode.

</font>
I actually like it better that way. Sometimes when cruising at 5th at 4th, I like to give some throttle to merge in another lane or whatever, but without downshifting.

I'd guess that SS mode probably saves us some fuel and trans wear compared to the full auto mode...

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type S -- White/Ebony
1998 Honda Prelude -- Black, MN5
Old 01-27-2001, 10:16 PM
Instructor

I drove all kinds of BMW's that had the stiptronic... i dont like their stiptronic because its like an Automatic when u floor the car... it will shift and do everything for u for all the gears. it doesnt need the driver to change the gears for the car on the tiptronic when u floor it. from 1st to 5th the car will do the shifting if u didnt shift .. the fule wont cut like in our car between 2nd to 5th.

------------------
Gold CL-S with comptech headers, mufflers,Springs, V-AFC,AEM CAI. ACE hyper black Wheels 235-40-18ZR.
In the future..Supercharger or turbo if there is any.
Gtech run 0 to 60 in 5.41sec

My car pics are On http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...521&a=11013539
Old 01-28-2001, 04:18 AM