Hyundai to pay owners for overestimating MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Here is a second article by Motortrend which summarizes the real-world mpg of recent Hyundai/Kia models:

http://wot.motortrend.com/mpgate-we-...es-286419.html

Short term road tests are not factored in as most of them focus on performance driving.

However, in pretty much all the long term tests, the cars deliver worse than the EPA combined rating.

Also, in most, if not all the comparison tests, the Hyundai/Kia models have the worse real world fuel efficiency. This is a trend observed from 9 different comparison and long-term tests. Similar trend has been noticed with other car mags too.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Hyundai and Kia are doing the right thing, but something like this shouldn't have happened in the first place with overestimating power and MPG. Paying back owners is somewhat a step in the right direction, but the crappy MPG has more effects down the road in resale value, etc. .
I agree it's nice that Hyundai is doing the right thing but they really had no choice. I know a lot of Japanese car fans are hoping for Hyundai to really falter from this but it will probably blow over with not to many issues that their use too. Used car values probably wont be affeceted either being KBB and ALG are already saying they shouldnt be affected much if any at all.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/06/w...-resale-value/

Originally Posted by csmeance
Trust me, there are a lot of car companies that seem great until you own one. My 760 goes through a quart of oil every 5-7K, and BMW policy is that a car can loose 1 quart per 1000 miles and be fine operationally. Tons of BMW V8's have failing valve stem seals and coolant leaks that cost 8-10K to fix. Many new BMW owners with turbo V8's are having a LOT of issues as well from oil pump failures, turbo failures, overheating, etc and BMW is really not doing anything widespread to fix it.
This is also Honda/Acura's policy and probably becomming a norm in the industry. If you go over to the 4G TL section there are many threads about oil consumption and people have been told by Acura reps and HQ that 1 quart for every 1000 miles is normal also and i believe some vehicles also have a 10k mile service interval.

IMO, individual dealers play a bigger role than anything when it comes to how your looked after when you have a problem with your vehicle. Its nice to hear Honda has looked after you when you've had issues but unfortunately mine have been the complete opposite when it comes to Honda/Toyota etc.

I had a Civic years ago that ate head gaskets for some reason and Honda never backed their product and said it must be something im doing wrong. A year or two after i sold it, i found out Honda new about the issue at the time and had released a revised head gasket and torque ratings for the problem.....It was sure nice of Honda to keep that quiet while I had to dig into my pocket for their issues that they blamed on me. ......Dont even get me started on the POS, Odyssey we have at work.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Some people on Hyundai-Forums who are completely losing their panties over this really need some hobbies or some...*ahem* stress release.

Hyundai is doing more for their owners over two MPG (some twenty miles over the course of a tank) than Honda and Acura has ever done for their owners with bad transmissions. This is also more than Toyota has done for the MILLIONS of owners with recalls for sticking accelerators, poorly designed floor mats, window switches that catch fire and engines that seize due to sludge. Keep in mind both of those brands (mostly Toyota) stuck to blaming the owners for the problems, sometimes for years, before finally agreeing to a recall or extended warranty.

I'll be getting reimbursed for the difference AND inconvenience so long as I own the car and that's around $100 that I wouldn't have had otherwise. If the owners angry about this don't want money for driving their car, sell it and buy one where you won't get paid.

I signed up, I'm eligible and guess what, I'm still smiling.
I agree 100%,

Enthusiast's on these forums always get upset, just like on most of the Japanese and NA car forums are hoping Hyundai/Kia will be out of buisness because of this in a couple years..

I have asked a few people i know that owned a vehicle affected by this and they could care less about the 1-2 MPG difference. If anything, when i mentioned they could go to Hyundai and get a rebate they where shocked and happy about how hyundai is handling the situation.

Myself, like many believe what Hyundai did was wrong (much like the HP issue 10 years ago) but Hyundai is handling it very well and appears to be controlling the problem with the media also extremely well. When this was announced earlier in the week, it was the top story in the consumer news and the media was portraying Hyundai as hero's for standing behind their product.

Will Hyundai get sued?? Yup, just like they did in 2002 for the HP issues.
Will they get fined by the EPA?? Very good chance
Will Hyundai continue to grow and get stronger?? You bet they will

How Hyundai controls the media will dictate how this plays out
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
my friend got new accent and he is getting 44mpg

my sentra gets 23mpg mixed, which is sucks as hell

Last edited by StreetKA; 11-09-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
my buddy has a new Sonata. he beats the EPA ratings
Car and driver praised their long term sonata for its good gas mileage

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ng-term-review
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
1-2 mpg.... who cares.

Last time i got 24mpg in my s2k was about 1 year ago. Been 16-20 with 80% freeway.

but is Hyundai going to offer more discount on their cars? i would gladly take the 1-2 mpg loss for more discount.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Car and driver praised their long term sonata for its good gas mileage

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ng-term-review
Only the EPA ratings of the Sonata HEV have been revised as seen here:
http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-hy...or-286177.html

Back to that long term review, it's interesting that the Sonata 2.0T is getting 25mpg....as C/D also managed to get 25mpg in a long-term test of the Honda Odyssey:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wrap-up-review
Old 11-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Ooooh iforyou, long time no see.

I see you are... the same as before.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
1-2 mpg.... who cares.

Last time i got 24mpg in my s2k was about 1 year ago. Been 16-20 with 80% freeway.

but is Hyundai going to offer more discount on their cars? i would gladly take the 1-2 mpg loss for more discount.
1-2mpg is not a big deal of course...but some issues:

1.) for some models, it's only 1-2mpg, but the whole range is between 1-6mpg. Many models are 3-4mpg off.

2.) Hyundai has been advertising the Elantra as a 40mpg car for a long time. Out of all the Elantra buyers, how many made the decision to buy the Elantra based on that?

3.) 1-2mpg might not sound like a lot to consumers, but companies spend a lot of money and time to develop technologies just to get that extra 1-2mpg. It literally takes a generation of a vehicle to gain that amount. Don't you think that's a bit unfair to other companies? And then there are those models that are 3-6mpg off.....

I don't know, but I certainly don't want other companies to follow Hyundai and Kia. Just imagine all companies exaggerate their EPA ratings. Later, one by one, each company will claim that there's an error with the testing procedures and each company will compensate the buyers.

This way, the company gets more initial sales, revenues, and profits. Then the company admits error and rolls out a compensation program. This makes the media happy and everyone will think the company is a hero. Is this what we really want?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Ooooh iforyou, long time no see.

I see you are... the same as before.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
1-2mpg is not a big deal of course...but some issues:

1.) for some models, it's only 1-2mpg, but the whole range is between 1-6mpg. Many models are 3-4mpg off.

I rarely get advertised MPG so unless something seriously is wrong. 1-4mpg less is within my expectation from any car. MPG has a lot to do with driving habit and conditions.

2.) Hyundai has been advertising the Elantra as a 40mpg car for a long time. Out of all the Elantra buyers, how many made the decision to buy the Elantra based on that?

i see many people do get 40mpg out of Elantra and many others don't. i personally think Hyundai did play some tricks with their MPG but it is still possible to get 40mpg just not for most of the buyers. my GF's civic gets 27 mpg, while many people say they get 37.

3.) 1-2mpg might not sound like a lot to consumers, but companies spend a lot of money and time to develop technologies just to get that extra 1-2mpg. It literally takes a generation of a vehicle to gain that amount. Don't you think that's a bit unfair to other companies? And then there are those models that are 3-6mpg off.....

You ask me what i think? i think 1-2 MPG improvement is all marketing tricks.
I have never felt any difference in MPG between 2G TL, 3G TL, accord, civics, Camry. Each Gen is all about the same for the past 10 years. That is real personal experience.

I don't know, but I certainly don't want other companies to follow Hyundai and Kia. Just imagine all companies exaggerate their EPA ratings. Later, one by one, each company will claim that there's an error with the testing procedures and each company will compensate the buyers.

This way, the company gets more initial sales, revenues, and profits. Then the company admits error and rolls out a compensation program. This makes the media happy and everyone will think the company is a hero. Is this what we really want?

I'd rather have a company that stand behind their product than a company who refused to acknowledge any wrong doing * u know who*
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'd rather have a company that stand behind their product than a company who refused to acknowledge any wrong doing * u know who*
1.) I think EPA, if possible, should do better in that area. For instance, instead of just checking 15% of the cars, may be check 30%? Obviously, EPA ratings numbers generated from EPA test cycles. If a car is rated at 20mpg city, 30mpg highway in EPA. Then that car should deliver 20mpg in the EPA city cycle, and 30mpg in the EPA hwy cycle. This is not to say the car will deliver 20mpg city in the real world, and/or 30mpg on the highway in the real world. The problem with the 900,000 Hyundai vehicles is that, IN THE EPA TESTS, they don't deliver, let alone in the real world.

2.) Of course I understand "your mileage may vary." This is why I rarely use my mpg for comparison. I like to use real world mileage in comparison tests. This is when cars are being tested on the same days, same driving conditions, with the same drivers. I also like to use Fuelly.com as it has more data (not the best, but better than just a person making a claim).

3.) Yea, as soon as they have made improvements in efficiency, the weight and power go up as well......lol....
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
1.) I think EPA, if possible, should do better in that area. For instance, instead of just checking 15% of the cars, may be check 30%? Obviously, EPA ratings numbers generated from EPA test cycles. If a car is rated at 20mpg city, 30mpg highway in EPA. Then that car should deliver 20mpg in the EPA city cycle, and 30mpg in the EPA hwy cycle. This is not to say the car will deliver 20mpg city in the real world, and/or 30mpg on the highway in the real world. The problem with the 900,000 Hyundai vehicles is that, IN THE EPA TESTS, they don't deliver, let alone in the real world.

2.) Of course I understand "your mileage may vary." This is why I rarely use my mpg for comparison. I like to use real world mileage in comparison tests. This is when cars are being tested on the same days, same driving conditions, with the same drivers. I also like to use Fuelly.com as it has more data (not the best, but better than just a person making a claim).

3.) Yea, as soon as they have made improvements in efficiency, the weight and power go up as well......lol....
EPA should test 100% of the new vehicles. Seriously, there are not that many "brand new" cars every year.

They should do something that actually matters to consumers.
It does not take much to figure out what the real MPG is. Stop assuming.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

epa should test 100% of the new vehicles. Seriously, there are not that many "brand new" cars every year.

They should do something that actually matters to consumers.
It does not take much to figure out what the real mpg is. Stop assuming.
+1.