Hyundai to pay owners for overestimating MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hyundai to pay owners for overestimating MPG

I did not get the advertised 30/40 for my 12 Accent
Stuck at 27/28 overall. However for long freeway runs I do get 38 to 40!
So now Hyundai taken steps to pay owners for hyping things a bit.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpps/gree...12-jgr_4907734

http://hyundaimpginfo.com/overview
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
I never get the advertised MPG
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
lol no one does.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
lol no one does.
In a Hyundai maybe..

A list of my current cars.

TSX Wagon = EPA says it'll do 22/30. I get 34 mpg without problems on the highway.

CR-Z 6MT = EPA says it's 31/37. We got 42.5 COMBINED on our last 1,000 mile trip which included quite a bit of downtown driving in Seattle.

'06 S2000 = EPA says 18/24. I've never gotten less than 22 and as high as 32 mpg.

So Honda is being VERY conservative. The same story applied with my '03 TL, 33 mpg was very easy to get.
oo7spy (11-04-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Prius is rated at 51/48

I averaged 35-38...no bueno.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Pro

Ripple effect? How will other people who drive other cars respond to this? Looks like I will be getting about 160 per year for as long as I own the car. Sweet since I have no money to buy anything else for the next who know how many years.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Press Release

Hyundai/Kia to Correct Overstated MPG Claims as Result of EPA Investigation

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today announced that Hyundai Motor America and Kia Motors America will lower their fuel economy (mpg) estimates for the majority of their model year 2012 and 2013 models after EPA testing found discrepancies between agency results and data submitted by the company.

The auto companies have submitted to the EPA a plan for cars currently on dealer lots to be re-labeled with new window stickers reflecting the corrected mileage estimates. The mileage on most vehicle labels will be reduced by one to two mpg, and the largest adjustment will be six mpg highway for the Kia Soul.

"Consumers rely on the window sticker to help make informed choices about the cars they buy,' said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator for EPA's Office of Air and Radiation. "EPA's investigation will help protect consumers and ensure a level playing field among automakers."

At its National Vehicle and Fuel Emission Laboratory (NVFEL) in Ann Arbor, Mich., EPA routinely tests vehicles – 150 to 200 a year, or about 15 percent of the possible vehicle configurations – to ensure that their performance matches the mileage and emissions data required to be submitted to EPA by automakers.

This auditing helps to ensure that vehicles on the road meet tailpipe emission standards to protect public health and the environment and that all carmakers follow the same procedures for calculating mileage estimates. EPA conducts both random and targeted audits, based on factors such as consumer complaints.

EPA had received a number of consumer complaints about Hyundai mileage estimates. Through the agency's ongoing audit program, staff experts at EPA's NVFEL observed discrepancies between results from EPA testing of a MY2012 Hyundai Elantra and information provided to EPA by Hyundai.

The agency expanded its investigation into data for other Hyundai and Kia vehicles, leading to today's announcement.

EPA's audit testing occasionally uncovers individual vehicles whose label values are incorrect and requires that the manufacturer re-label the vehicle. This has happened twice since 2000. This is the first time where a large number of vehicles from the same manufacturer have deviated so significantly.

EPA and DOE are updating their joint fuel economy site, www.fueleconomy.gov, to reflect the Hyundai and Kia corrected numbers.

For more information, please see: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm

Voluntary Recall Press Release

HYUNDAI AND KIA INITIATE VOLUNTARY PROGRAM TO ADJUST FUEL ECONOMY RATINGS ON SELECT VEHICLES

Automakers' Average Fuel Economy Rating Reduced 3 Percent; Affected Vehicle Owners to be Compensated

ORANGE COUNTY, Nov. 2 – Hyundai Motor America and Kia Motors America today announced that, following discussions with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), they are voluntarily adjusting the fuel economy ratings for approximately 900,000, or 35 percent of, 2011-13 model year vehicles sold through October 31, 2012.

Procedural errors at the automakers' joint testing operations in Korea led to incorrect fuel economy ratings for select vehicle lines. As part of Hyundai/Kia's corrective actions, the fuel economy ratings for vehicles currently in showrooms are being voluntarily relabeled. With these changes, the 2012 Hyundai/Kia fleet fuel economy level is reduced by an average of 3 percent – from 27 to 26 MPG.

"I sincerely apologize to all affected Hyundai and Kia customers, and I regret these errors occurred," said Dr. W. C. Yang, chief technology officer of Hyundai/Kia research and development. "Following up on the EPA's audit results, we have taken immediate action to make the necessary rating changes and process corrections."

Both companies are putting in place a comprehensive reimbursement program for affected current and former vehicle owners to cover the additional fuel costs associated with the fuel economy rating change. Customers will receive a personalized debit card that will reimburse them for their difference in the EPA combined fuel economy rating, based on the fuel price in their area and their own actual miles driven. In addition, as an acknowledgement of the inconvenience this may cause, we will add an extra 15 percent to the reimbursement amount. Current owners will be able to refresh their debit card for as long as they own the vehicle. Prior owners of affected vehicles who have already sold their cars will also be reimbursed using the same formula. For more information about reimbursement and a complete list of eligible vehicles, customers can visit www.HyundaiMPGinfo.com and www.KiaMPGinfo.com.

The fuel economy rating discrepancies resulted from procedural errors during a process called "coastdown" testing at the companies' joint testing operations in Korea. Coastdown testing simulates aerodynamic drag, tire rolling resistance and drivetrain frictional losses and provides the technical data used to program the test dynamometers that generate EPA fuel economy ratings. Affected vehicles and their before-and-after EPA estimates are shown in the attachment.

Hyundai and Kia will continue to advance improvements in fuel efficiency through technology and innovation, and continue to fully support the recent rulemaking issued by EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"Given the importance of fuel efficiency to all of us, we're extremely sorry about these errors," said John Krafcik, president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America. "When we say to Hyundai owners, 'We've got your back,' that's an assurance we don't take lightly. We're going to make this right for everyone, and we'll be more driven than ever to ensure our vehicles deliver outstanding fuel economy."

"As a customer-focused organization, we are fully committed to providing consumers with complete and accurate information, and deeply regret the errors were made," said Byung Mo Ahn, group president and CEO, Kia Motors America and Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia. "Our reimbursement program is intended to ensure that all affected Kia customers quickly receive fair compensation."
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Seems the new modified MPG ratings will only differ from old ratings by 1-2 MPG

Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
They got caught, simple as that. These rumours have been floating around since the new Elantra came out. My question now is, who else will the EPA go after.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
In a Hyundai maybe..

TSX Wagon = EPA says it'll do 22/30. I get 34 mpg without problems on the highway.

CR-Z 6MT = EPA says it's 31/37. We got 42.5 COMBINED on our last 1,000 mile trip which included quite a bit of downtown driving in Seattle.

'06 S2000 = EPA says 18/24. I've never gotten less than 22 and as high as 32 mpg.

So Honda is being VERY conservative. The same story applied with my '03 TL, 33 mpg was very easy to get.
Yep, I'm in the same boat.

I'm in the midst of my worst week of gas milage since I got the car and I'm still going to get about 27-28, when the EPA ratings are 22/31/26. I just got back from a roadtrip the weekend before that and I got about 35 MPG driving the highway to get to my destination.

My old TL was about the same, it's rated 17/27/20, and I on a regular basis averaged 27. Even my friend who drives a Jeep Compass Limited is beating his EPA estimates, and another friend with a VW Jetta is beating his EPA estimate too.

I actually warned someone about Hyundai's inflated EPA numbers when they were looking for a car. It's good to have something to back up what I had suspected.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Didn't they get in trouble for overstating hp ratings in the past?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm not surprised. Of all manufacturers Hyundai seemed the worst at this
Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
Didn't they get in trouble for overstating hp ratings in the past?
Yup, back in 2002:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...-hyundai_x.htm

Hyundai Motor America, rocked last year by disclosures it had misstated horsepower for years, continues to advertise more power than its engines were able to produce in tests paid for by Hyundai.
The part in bold is totally ...they hired someone to prove that their engines continued to make less power than what was advertised.........

Anyways, I don't think compensating the fuel costs for their customers is enough. I think Hyundai should pay for the "damage" done to other manufacturers too. One of the selling points, especially in this era of high fuel price, is fuel economy. Hyundai has been advertising that all pretty much all of its vehicles for the past several years, saying how they are better than other cars. This inevitably would have drawn potential Honda/Toyota/Ford/GM/Nissan/etc buyers to reconsider their decision. It will be hard to calculate, but these companies have certainly been affected in terms of sales, revenues, and profits. And we also need to consider the damage done to the reputation of the other brands too for "losing" to Hyundai vehicles in terms of EPA ratings.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Yup, back in 2002:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...-hyundai_x.htm

The part in bold is totally ...they hired someone to prove that their engines continued to make less power than what was advertised.........

Anyways, I don't think compensating the fuel costs for their customers is enough. I think Hyundai should pay for the "damage" done to other manufacturers too. One of the selling points, especially in this era of high fuel price, is fuel economy. Hyundai has been advertising that all pretty much all of its vehicles for the past several years, saying how they are better than other cars. This inevitably would have drawn potential Honda/Toyota/Ford/GM/Nissan/etc buyers to reconsider their decision. It will be hard to calculate, but these companies have certainly been affected in terms of sales, revenues, and profits. And we also need to consider the damage done to the reputation of the other brands too for "losing" to Hyundai vehicles in terms of EPA ratings.
Fortunately, in our system, companies and people can't get hit for indirect damages unless they can be proven to have actually occurred. The "damage" to buyers is a no-brainer; what you are suggesting is completely ephemeral and would require a substantial amount of litigation to both measure and prove. Get ready to open Pandora's box if something like this were pursued.

Last edited by ttribe; 11-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM

Of all the things that will never happen, this will never happen the most

Hyundai would never win something like this. Unless it was in SK or something.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Pro

How about buy my car back so I can get a Honda fit? Do it Hyundai.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by calgary2800
I bet you will complain about Honda Fit too once you get it.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
its all an average. Some will get better than others will get worse. ALl depends on location, driving type, etc... My dad gets better than the ratings with his genesis (which now has 100k trouble/squeak free miles) IMHO some people just complain to much over little things
Old 11-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
my buddy has a new Sonata. he beats the EPA ratings
Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by ttribe
Fortunately, in our system, companies and people can't get hit for indirect damages unless they can be proven to have actually occurred. The "damage" to buyers is a no-brainer; what you are suggesting is completely ephemeral and would require a substantial amount of litigation to both measure and prove. Get ready to open Pandora's box if something like this were pursued.
Originally Posted by Costco
Of all the things that will never happen, this will never happen the most

Hyundai would never win something like this. Unless it was in SK or something.
Yea, it's too bad for the other companies. Hyundai on the other hand gained some short-term customers. I wonder how would this affect their future. Then again, people tend to forget things easily, just like how people have already forgotten how Hyundai misstated hp ratings 10 years ago.....
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Yea, it's too bad for the other companies. Hyundai on the other hand gained some short-term customers. I wonder how would this affect their future. Then again, people tend to forget things easily, just like how people have already forgotten how Hyundai misstated hp ratings 10 years ago.....
I think HP numbers are a different animal though. While people will probably factor them in when you first get the car, they aren't something you will really see every time you fill up the car. It's still going to drive exactly the same, even if the number changes.

MPG though, it's something you see every time you fill up your car, which (for me at least) is about every 1-2 weeks. With gas prices rising and the economy still in the crapper, being misled on something like that will probably stick around a lot longer. I think the deciding factor will be how Hyundai/Kia respond to this, and to their credit they have already admitted they did it.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
In a Hyundai maybe..

2011 Ford Fusion SE: Up to 22 cty/29 hwy mpg
Over 37,000 miles, I consistently get 31.5 mpg mixed, mostly highway.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
Hate to see my car go but I cannot accept the bad MPG anymore. The final straw was the last freeway road trip, I got 27mpg. So tonight the Hyundai dealer gave me something like 2k over fair value on my car and I took it. I have a loan on my car and just added something like 800 bucks to it. The 3 was getting 21/22 50/50 hwy city. Cant go on like that.

So now I drive a 2012 Accent SE in automatic. I tested the MPG tonight and 90% freeway got 27.5 but I'm sure it was improve as the car only has 135 miles. I'll post a pic later this week.
Should've got a FIT
Old 11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Some people on Hyundai-Forums who are completely losing their panties over this really need some hobbies or some...*ahem* stress release.

Hyundai is doing more for their owners over two MPG (some twenty miles over the course of a tank) than Honda and Acura has ever done for their owners with bad transmissions. This is also more than Toyota has done for the MILLIONS of owners with recalls for sticking accelerators, poorly designed floor mats, window switches that catch fire and engines that seize due to sludge. Keep in mind both of those brands (mostly Toyota) stuck to blaming the owners for the problems, sometimes for years, before finally agreeing to a recall or extended warranty.

I'll be getting reimbursed for the difference AND inconvenience so long as I own the car and that's around $100 that I wouldn't have had otherwise. If the owners angry about this don't want money for driving their car, sell it and buy one where you won't get paid.

I signed up, I'm eligible and guess what, I'm still smiling.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Some people on Hyundai-Forums who are completely losing their panties over this really need some hobbies or some...*ahem* stress release.

Hyundai is doing more for their owners over two MPG (some twenty miles over the course of a tank) than Honda and Acura has ever done for their owners with bad transmissions. This is also more than Toyota has done for the MILLIONS of owners with recalls for sticking accelerators, poorly designed floor mats, window switches that catch fire and engines that seize due to sludge. Keep in mind both of those brands (mostly Toyota) stuck to blaming the owners for the problems, sometimes for years, before finally agreeing to a recall or extended warranty.

I'll be getting reimbursed for the difference AND inconvenience so long as I own the car and that's around $100 that I wouldn't have had otherwise. If the owners angry about this don't want money for driving their car, sell it and buy one where you won't get paid.

Cool story bro. Hyundai still sucks
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gwhizkid
I find your reply shallow and pedantic.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
jnc2000 (11-06-2012), nj2pa2nc (11-13-2012), PortlandRL (11-02-2012), Sly Raskal (11-16-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM
The Third Ball

Even cooler story bro. You're retarded.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
PortlandRL (11-02-2012), Sly Raskal (11-16-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Did you get lost on your way to the 3G TL circlejerk?
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
PortlandRL (11-02-2012), Sly Raskal (11-16-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Oh noes...I've been insulted by a 3G TL owner. My life is over. Seriously dude...I've been a Hyundai owner for eight years now and I've heard every insult imaginable. They stopped bothering me seven years and six months back but thanks for playing. Now stick to what you folks do best and go do something seriously retarded to your car; I've got an empty Chinese food container you can hang from the rear tow hook.
The following 2 users liked this post by PortlandRL:
nj2pa2nc (11-13-2012), Sly Raskal (11-16-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Now stick to what you folks do best and go do something seriously retarded to your car; I've got an empty Chinese food container you can hang from the rear tow hook.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Even cooler story bro. You're retarded.
Man.. you guys are way too dense to understand sarcasm without red text.

I like Hyundais, so take a chill pill and appreciate the obvious mockery I was making of elitist car owners.

Next time, I'll make it red and bold for you OK? So you won't have to endure extreme butthurt.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM
The Third Ball

Man.. you guys are way too dense to understand sarcasm without red text.

I like Hyundais, so take a chill pill and appreciate the obvious mockery I was making of elitist car owners.

Next time, I'll make it red and bold for you OK? So you won't have to endure extreme butthurt.
Nice attempt at back pedaling...that was no sarcasm and you're still a retard.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Nice attempt at back pedaling...that was no sarcasm and you're still a retard.

I can see you are anxiously awaiting replies. Good luck
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Shallow and pedantic
Sly Raskal (11-16-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 PM
The Third Ball

Actually, I was over in ramblings

But you did reply...like the predictable retard you are
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Now stick to what you folks do best and go do something seriously retarded to your car; I've got an empty Chinese food container you can hang from the rear tow hook.

that one went way back. I tried to find the thread, without success
Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Hyundai and Kia are doing the right thing, but something like this shouldn't have happened in the first place with overestimating power and MPG. Paying back owners is somewhat a step in the right direction, but the crappy MPG has more effects down the road in resale value, etc.

Acura and Honda have been great to me. At 103K on my TL, my trans went out (23K out of extended warranty) and they replaced it at almost no charge to me. My dash cracked on my TL last year and they replaced it and asked for 100 dollars to remove & reinstall my ipod hookup and nav-tv hookup behind the dash. With my MDX getting lemoned, Honda went over and BEYOND in making sure everything was okay while waiting on my 2007 to be built.

Yes they did screw up in the past with their transmissions, but they did help a ton of folks with goodwill replacements. Yes there was the lawsuit and the warranty got extended to 125K anyway, but what matters is that they honored it.

Trust me, there are a lot of car companies that seem great until you own one. My 760 goes through a quart of oil every 5-7K, and BMW policy is that a car can loose 1 quart per 1000 miles and be fine operationally. Tons of BMW V8's have failing valve stem seals and coolant leaks that cost 8-10K to fix. Many new BMW owners with turbo V8's are having a LOT of issues as well from oil pump failures, turbo failures, overheating, etc and BMW is really not doing anything widespread to fix it.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by csmeance
Trust me, there are a lot of car companies that seem great until you own one. My 760 goes through a quart of oil every 5-7K, and BMW policy is that a car can loose 1 quart per 1000 miles and be fine operationally. Tons of BMW V8's have failing valve stem seals and coolant leaks that cost 8-10K to fix. Many new BMW owners with turbo V8's are having a LOT of issues as well from oil pump failures, turbo failures, overheating, etc and BMW is really not doing anything widespread to fix it.
I used to work for Audi and it was their policy that a quart loss between oil changes was 'normal operating condition'. Keep in mind this was the same company with the 1.8 liter four-banger that suggested a 10,000 mile change interval and then blamed owners for the sludge problems.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by EhkoXC
I think HP numbers are a different animal though. While people will probably factor them in when you first get the car, they aren't something you will really see every time you fill up the car. It's still going to drive exactly the same, even if the number changes.

MPG though, it's something you see every time you fill up your car, which (for me at least) is about every 1-2 weeks. With gas prices rising and the economy still in the crapper, being misled on something like that will probably stick around a lot longer. I think the deciding factor will be how Hyundai/Kia respond to this, and to their credit they have already admitted they did it.
Yea, I see what you mean when it comes to hp vs mpg.

I think Hyundai/Kia have no choice but to offer fuel money to people. EPA would probably force it upon them anyway.

Originally Posted by csmeance
Hyundai and Kia are doing the right thing, but something like this shouldn't have happened in the first place with overestimating power and MPG. Paying back owners is somewhat a step in the right direction, but the crappy MPG has more effects down the road in resale value, etc.

Acura and Honda have been great to me. At 103K on my TL, my trans went out (23K out of extended warranty) and they replaced it at almost no charge to me. My dash cracked on my TL last year and they replaced it and asked for 100 dollars to remove & reinstall my ipod hookup and nav-tv hookup behind the dash. With my MDX getting lemoned, Honda went over and BEYOND in making sure everything was okay while waiting on my 2007 to be built.

Yes they did screw up in the past with their transmissions, but they did help a ton of folks with goodwill replacements. Yes there was the lawsuit and the warranty got extended to 125K anyway, but what matters is that they honored it.

Yea, like csmeance is saying, the potential "damage" to current Hyundai/Kia owners is more than just the fuel money. Resale value will be lowered due to this. Mechanical/electrical problems/bugs are almost inevitable for all cars. But this kind of testing error from Hyundai is different than those reliability issues. I believe this is the 2nd time that EPA was forced to revise EPA ratings on a certain brand. The last time was the 2012 BMW 328i. That was just one model from BMW. This time, it's pretty extended as almost all cars from Hyundai and Kia are affected. There's really no arguing here unlike the issues that deal with transmissions, seals, turbochargers, etc.

And if we want to go further, we can talk about how other companies have lost sales to Hyundai/Kia because of their previous advantage in EPA ratings. Will Hyundai/Kia step up and compensate the other companies? Will hyundai/kia step up and compensate current owners will potential losses in resale value?

Quick Reply: Hyundai to pay owners for overestimating MPG