AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   The Hyundai Equus/Genesis Story by John Krafcik (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/hyundai-equus-genesis-story-john-krafcik-779989/)

MyCarIsntInMyWifesName 06-15-2010 05:25 PM

What I'm really concerned with is the ground clearance, aerodynamics, and the side mirrors.

These define true luxury motoring.

Type34 06-15-2010 05:28 PM

Forget the fugly RL, how 'bout a 2010 Genesis 3.8 versus a 2009 BMW 528i?

A mildly spec'd Genesis 3.8 (premium pkg, no nav) will run about $36K (I just built one at www.hyundaiusa.com). It took me 2 seconds to find a 2009 BMW 528i Premium with 11K miles for $36K on Autotrader.com.

I find it hard to believe given those two scenarios, a buyer would choose the Hyundai. But Genesis sales are pretty strong, so I guess people are :shrug:

Rockstar21 06-15-2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by phee (Post 12098489)
im not paying for shit. all i do is pick up fluids (Which i haggle down to less than retail)

i have to go with this.
although i usually turn down all the food and drink items im offered..

i have never been screwed by my Acura Dealer in the least. always complimentary deeds and always a by name basis with everyone there.

in fact, there have been times when they game me cheap parts for FREE. i've also paid wholesale for parts many of times just because im a regular customer.

i know nothing about the Hyundai dealerships, but i know my local acura dealer kicks major ass... hopefully they come out with a desirable car in the future so i can continue getting work done and buying parts there.

F23A4 06-15-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Type34 (Post 12098599)

A mildly spec'd Genesis 3.8 (premium pkg, no nav) will run about $36K (I just built one at www.hyundaiusa.com). It took me 2 seconds to find a 2009 BMW 528i Premium with 11K miles for $36K on Autotrader.com.

I find it hard to believe given those two scenarios, a buyer would choose the Hyundai. But Genesis sales are pretty strong, so I guess people are :shrug:

I'm a HUGE E60 fan....but, I'd never consider the 528i. :sorry:

MyCarIsntInMyWifesName 06-15-2010 06:47 PM

I would buy the Hyundai for sure. I'd have a brand new car with more room, better economy, better performance, and rear drive fun.

Type34 06-15-2010 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4 (Post 12098760)
I'm a HUGE E60 fan....but, I'd never consider the 528i. :sorry:

I went with the 528i because the 535i is more in line with the performance of the Genesis 4.6 than the 3.8.

The 528i and the G3.8 are actually quite equal in many of their specs, which bodes well for Hyundai's new versus new argument given the price disparity. I still don't know if the argument of a new G3.8 versus a barely used 528i at the same price holds as much water.

For me, I'd choose the 528i in a heartbeat and never look back, but it appears more and more people are opening their eyes to Hyundai...

JediMindTricks 06-15-2010 09:57 PM

good read.

that hood ornament really needs to go.

F23A4 06-16-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Type34 (Post 12098846)
I went with the 528i because the 535i is more in line with the performance of the Genesis 4.6 than the 3.8.

The 528i and the G3.8 are actually quite equal in many of their specs, which bodes well for Hyundai's new versus new argument given the price disparity. I still don't know if the argument of a new G3.8 versus a barely used 528i at the same price holds as much water.

For me, I'd choose the 528i in a heartbeat and never look back, but it appears more and more people are opening their eyes to Hyundai...

...as they should. Hyundai is doing a great job despite some of the odds stacked against them. :thumbsup:

CocheseUGA 06-16-2010 07:38 AM

I hope that more brands pick up on the Service Valet feature. I know it would be a huge tipping point if I were looking at two similarly priced and spec'd vehicles.

Oh, and door latches? WTF, Hyundai.

Pure Adrenaline 06-16-2010 08:37 AM

At the last national dealer meeting I saw a computer generated image of an upgraded, premium dealership space for Equus owners. It's basically a sub-section within the dealership, catering to Equus owners and potential buyers exclusively.

But that is if they come to the dealership at all after purchase because their cars will be picked up for service.

I can't really say much that hasn't been said already. But at $60k, I think the Equus will sell. I've driven them numerous times and they are absolutely amazing cars whether you are driving, sitting shotgun or in the VIP seat (like the Lexus Executive feature in the LS but perhaps better).

fsttyms1 06-16-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4 (Post 12097976)
All that said, the question to me is: for similar money, would the buying public opt for a well equipped new Genesis 3.8 sedan OR say a CPO 09 Acura RL (ugly though it may be). And this is question that I've pondered on a personal level NOT something to cast any aspersions on Hyundai's plans.

Thats a easy one fore me. Genesis HANDS DOWN. After having driven both (father has the genesis and has already racked up 21k trouble free solid miles on his 2010) the genesis is a better car to me in every aspect

fsttyms1 06-16-2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Type34 (Post 12098599)

You can get the Genesis cheaper than that at dealers. My dad got 3.8 with premium package WITH navi out the door for 31500.

And his experience at the Hyundai dealer was far better than the one at the BMW dealer when he was comparing and looking at a 5 series. I dont think there should be any concern about the dealers.

chungkopi 06-16-2010 10:18 AM

Car & Driver four-way comparison--Genesis 3.8 smokes Buick LaCrosse CXS, Ford Taurus Limited, and Lexus ES350.

Interesting stats from the article:

Genesis - fastest to 60, fastest 1/4, fastest rolling, fastest 30-50, best road holding - .83 g, fastest lane change - 59.4, lowest sound level across the board except for 70 mph cruise.

Ride: 9 of 10. Best in class.

F23A4 06-16-2010 01:00 PM

MSN Interactive comparison

chungkopi 06-16-2010 01:10 PM

RL is a very nice car. but too bad it looks like a 35k car. you park genesis next to RL and you would think Genesis should cost at least 10k more.

WSJ agrees with me.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...-inspire-lust/

Hapa DC5 06-16-2010 01:27 PM

It was a very good read. I wish more industry execs will reach out to the public in that manner.

Legend2TL 06-17-2010 06:13 AM

:thumbsup: Good article thanks for posting

CFoote 06-17-2010 01:56 PM

Another new Hyundai: The Equus

Interesting article from the CEO of Hyundai.

I'm curious what others think about this. Now that they will have 2 premium sedans, I'm not sure the whole "let's have the 50k cars and the 20k cars in the same dealership" is going to work well.

I like the valet service idea though, that is very cool. We'll see how long that lasts though.

Read away and comment.

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/eq...n-krafcik.html

robarsan 06-17-2010 03:23 PM

Go to Edmunds and read the latest 5 of 6 reviews of the Genesis. Although the overall rating is pretty good for the number of reviews, the less than favorable reviews expose some cause for concern. Numerous reviews complain about the transmission surging, finding the wrong gear etc. One person said the ride was so jerky that it literally made him sick.
Another common complaint was the suspension. Again, adding to a terrible ride. Maybe all the hype about this vehicle was a little premature.
To be fair I checked out the reviews for the RL in 2006, the year after the initial release. Again, the reviews were good for the number of responses and there were some negative reviews. The complaints were more in line with comfort or defects not associated with the overall drive experience.

I'm not writing off Hyundai, they are trying to overcome the bad rep they earned years ago. They just need a few more years of refinement before I would consider buying one, valet service or not.

NJ SHAWD 06-17-2010 05:37 PM

I spent months researching the Genesis in 2009. My research involved everything from written, to test drives and finally joining Hyundai's think tank (which I have been actively involved in for about a year now). The 09 Genesis was plagued with suspension problems and detail issues that kept me from buying. The other major issue was dealing with the sharks in all three dealerships that I dealt with. In the time that I have been involved with the think tank, the biggest issue I have tried to get them to address has been changing their method of distribution. They can't possibly be successful selling the high end products they have in the existing dealerships.
They have since worked the bug out of the Genesis, and the Equus is incredibly well put together. The new concept of going to market could very well be another notch on the belt. This company is going places. I still don't own one, but I see the writing on the wall...who knows, maybe #38?

neuronbob 06-17-2010 05:55 PM

Moving to Car Talk.

BTW, I sat in the Equus at the NAIAS in January. This car is freaking amazing. It will sell like hotcakes, and will eat Acura's lunch. I'm hoping Acura responds to this competition in some meaningful fashion with the next RL.

MyCarIsntInMyWifesName 06-17-2010 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 12104949)
Moving to Car Talk.

BTW, I sat in the Equus at the NAIAS in January. This car is freaking amazing. It will sell like hotcakes, and will eat Acura's lunch. I'm hoping Acura responds to this competition in some meaningful fashion with the next RL.

Doubtful. Honda won't make it big enough, powerful enough, or elegant enough. I can see it now.

But I hope I'm 100% wrong.

mcflyguy24 06-17-2010 09:07 PM

Freaking love it! Loaded to the hilt with luxury, has about everything the Lexus LS and Audi A8 have. The only grip I have is their execution on the wood trim, looks a little cheap and laid out a little weird on the dash. Have no clue how it drives though, alos I'm sure it's priced very aggressively knowing Hyundai.

fsttyms1 06-18-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by robarsan (Post 12104571)
Go to Edmunds and read the latest 5 of 6 reviews of the Genesis. Although the overall rating is pretty good for the number of reviews, the less than favorable reviews expose some cause for concern. Numerous reviews complain about the transmission surging, finding the wrong gear etc. One person said the ride was so jerky that it literally made him sick.
Another common complaint was the suspension. Again, adding to a terrible ride. Maybe all the hype about this vehicle was a little premature.
To be fair I checked out the reviews for the RL in 2006, the year after the initial release. Again, the reviews were good for the number of responses and there were some negative reviews. The complaints were more in line with comfort or defects not associated with the overall drive experience.

I'm not writing off Hyundai, they are trying to overcome the bad rep they earned years ago. They just need a few more years of refinement before I would consider buying one, valet service or not.

I havent experienced a single one of those traits at all in my dads 2010. He has had it for 20k miles now. Ride is no different than the 5 series, sporty yet smooth.

Steven Bell 06-18-2010 10:00 AM

Man, that's a good looking car. Look at that interior and rear seating!

knavinusa 06-18-2010 10:43 AM

Great looking car for sure. I do think the center console could use a little styling work, though. It looks a little cheap.

juniorbean 06-18-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 12105796)
Isn't this a repost??

:nod: Merging with topic in Automotive News...

stangg172004 06-19-2010 02:45 AM

M

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName (Post 12095569)
Interesting story. Thanks for posting.

Though I do disagree with Hyundai comparing their sales and market share to the true sport luxury sedans.

Define true...

Good read. Hyundai is quickly becoming my favorite car brand...

Shift_Acura 06-19-2010 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by chungkopi (Post 12101126)
RL is a very nice car. but too bad it looks like a 35k car. you park genesis next to RL and you would think Genesis should cost at least 10k more.

WSJ agrees with me.

What kind of Hyundai do you own chungkopi?

MyCarIsntInMyWifesName 06-19-2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by stangg172004 (Post 12108666)
M

Define true...

Good read. Hyundai is quickly becoming my favorite car brand...

I worded it completely wrong. I meant that Hyundai isn't in the same class as those vehicles with which it compares the Genesis.

It's the same formula by size, power, luxury, etc., but it still isn't in the same class as a 5-Series, A6, XF, E-Class, etc.

In another example the new MKS has lots of the same technology, luxury, and size of something like the 7-Series or Audi A8 but it is still not a competitor to those cars.

SSFTSX 06-19-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by chungkopi (Post 12101126)

WSJ agrees with me.

THis is clearly not well written piece. how those plain $50K E/5 turns heads around?. Acura RL turns more heads around than all those plain cars.

Indeed, the RL has its fans and they like to say theirs is the thinking person’s car, not meant for conspicuous status seekers. Deep down I know they have a point, but I still couldn’t buy an RL because it fails tow of my main tests: It neither turns heads nor sets my heart afire. Is it asking too much of a car to do both?
Only Audi A6/RS with S line packages to create that brute look, pearlacent paints and LEDs turns head around

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/ge...scaled_600.jpg

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-...erior-dark.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...uattro/250486/
For a diesel-powered limo weighing substantially over two tonnes as tested, the A8’s performance is frankly preposterous. Making full use of its all-wheel drive system, that 590lb ft of torque and its army of tightly stacked gear ratios, it hits 60mph in 5.0sec flat and 100mph in 13.0sec, numbers you’d have needed a supercar to match 10 years ago. It is the fastest-accelerating diesel car we have tested, and by a huge margin.
remember 4.2TDI is 200kg heavier than 4.2TFSI with 30 bhp less. your essentally looking at car that goes 0 to 100mph under 13sec second time. and goes to 0-130 mph in about 22 second. all on 19inch standard rims.
It is all from non-turbo engine with fuel economy of V6.

Only new Audi A8 meets definition of super sport luxury class. It is ride height adjustable with airsuspension, tubular rollbars, sport differential, and new lighting and one of the best ergonomically design interior.
Car without effective AWD system is not sport luxury anymore. as luxury does not just mean interior refinements but aerodynamcis, handling and height adjustments for such long vechicles.
i am not even going into aero measurements.

Acura has to follow Audi. upgrade Sh-AWD, improve interior which is already very good design and aerodynamics, introduce LEDs, put standard 19inch like ZDX. and boost power to 370bhp with hybrid addition. after all Audi with 375 bhp is beating 5.5L MB and 4.4 turbo BMW 7 in straight line.

PortlandRL 06-19-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SSFTSX (Post 12109298)
THis is clearly not well written piece. how those plain $50K E/5 turns heads around?. Acura RL turns more heads around than all those plain cars.

:pofl:

Please....people think the RL is an Accord most of the time. I can't say I've ever had anybody turn to gawk at it.

chungkopi 06-19-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura (Post 12108669)
What kind of Hyundai do you own chungkopi?

I traded my MDX to Santa Fe 2 years ago. House comes first. :tongue:

but most likely I'll be driving Sonata turbo next summer and let my wifey drive Santa Fe. I almost pulled a trigger on gen coupe 3.8 track, but wifey said no. :annoyed:

SSFTSX 06-20-2010 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by PortlandRL (Post 12109456)
:pofl:

Please....people think the RL is an Accord most of the time. I can't say I've ever had anybody turn to gawk at it.

Honda Accord has become bigger in size with 195 inch length and 72.5 inch width with $30K price tag. RL is very understated design but with quality. Just like Toyota Land Cruiser. No one thinks that it is $65K SUV. Most people think it is a Highlander.

tmnhs81 06-20-2010 12:59 AM

Can we leave this discussion to Hyundai Genesis/Equus?

mcflyguy24 06-20-2010 03:31 PM

Didn't see the story at the beginning of this thread because of the merge. I like the idea of them sending a salesman to your house to show you the car and the idea of having them come and pick your car up for service and bring you a loaner in the mean time. Also like the iPad owners manual haha! I really think this company is gonna change the industry over time. They still need to build a dealer network though IMO given time.

yohan81718 06-20-2010 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by SSFTSX (Post 12110147)
Honda Accord has become bigger in size with 195 inch length and 72.5 inch width with $30K price tag. RL is very understated design but with quality. Just like Toyota Land Cruiser. No one thinks that it is $65K SUV. Most people think it is a Highlander.

yumcha should grant you a nice break now :thumbsup:

NJ SHAWD 06-20-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24 (Post 12110905)
didn't see the story at the beginning of this thread because of the merge. I like the idea of them sending a salesman to your house to show you the car and the idea of having them come and pick your car up for service and bring you a loaner in the mean time. Also like the ipad owners manual haha! i really think this company is gonna change the industry over time. they still need to build a dealer network though imo given time.

+1

vas25tl 06-22-2010 12:16 PM

Soon it will be:

Acura/Honda
Toyota/Lexus
Nissan/Infiniti
Hyundai/Genesis

Great article.

mcflyguy24 06-22-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by SSFTSX (Post 12109298)

Only Audi A6/RS with S line packages to create that brute look, pearlacent paints and LEDs turns head around

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/ge...scaled_600.jpg

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-...erior-dark.jpg

remember 4.2TDI is 200kg heavier than 4.2TFSI with 30 bhp less. your essentally looking at car that goes 0 to 100mph under 13sec second time. and goes to 0-130 mph in about 22 second. all on 19inch standard rims.
It is all from non-turbo engine with fuel economy of V6.

Only new Audi A8 meets definition of super sport luxury class. It is ride height adjustable with airsuspension, tubular rollbars, sport differential, and new lighting and one of the best ergonomically design interior.
Car without effective AWD system is not sport luxury anymore. as luxury does not just mean interior refinements but aerodynamcis, handling and height adjustments for such long vechicles.
i am not even going into aero measurements.

Acura has to follow Audi. upgrade Sh-AWD, improve interior which is already very good design and aerodynamics, introduce LEDs, put standard 19inch like ZDX. and boost power to 370bhp with hybrid addition. after all Audi with 375 bhp is beating 5.5L MB and 4.4 turbo BMW 7 in straight line.

:drool:

I can see your point about Hyundai not being on the same tier as Audi, but for the money/features list they are def getting there. Audi obviously is true luxury simply because of having the performance to go along with all the bells and whistles and they have an established image that pretty much defines luxury. I have a feeling Hyundai will be the next Acura though and play the value card much better in this category than Acura has lately.