AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   How did Lexus get so far ahead of Acura? (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/how-did-lexus-get-so-far-ahead-acura-917200/)

ScottLong 09-03-2014 02:59 PM

Lexus sold over 32,000 Units in the month of August. At this rate, they might even take back the Sales Crown from BMW/Mercedes by as early as this year.

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 15145654)
He's an <strike>Acura</strike> Mopar fanboy! :tomato:

I own Mopar now, but I like, love, and look at other vehicles.

Before we settled on the Cherokee I looked at and suggested everything to my wife.

We both don't like the Rav4, I like the Sportage but it came up short on interior feel (Kia is doing great things, especially with cars...the SUVs are still catching up) I test drove the Kia Sorento...pretty nice inside, though I don't love the design...the 3.3 V6 was anemic and the transmission kept searching for gears...so I was turned off. Wife drove and didn't love the Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The Tiguan has no interior space, especially in the rear cargo area and its overpriced. The new Highlander looks nice, interior is great...but I was bored with our current highlander we were replacing and the new one was too new to get really good deals. Parents as new Ford Escape as rental last time they visited, it was nice, and they look great. But it lacks some of the features of the Jeep and costs more.

I did just find a 72 bmw 3.0S Bavaria that was in MINT...I mean MINT condition last week...7g....fucking thing sold in less than a day. I would have tried to buy that in a heart beat, it was amazing.

ScottLong 09-03-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 15145552)
Has Lexus released RC pricing yet? I couldn't find it when I did a quick search.

When I called the Lexus Dealerships, they said the RC-350 will be around the same price as the IS 350 F Sport. The much more superior RC-F will be slightly lower than the M4, but not by that much. Nothing's confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be slightly less expensive but equally loaded compared to the 4 Series and the M4.

wildeklave 09-03-2014 03:07 PM

not sure how relevant this is but Honda / Acura struggled in August

http://autospies.com/images/users/Ag...0-%20honda.JPG

Year over year the RDX is down 400 vehicles, the ILX was up about 80 cars sold, and the combined TLX/ TSX / TL was down almost 1000 vehicles compared to the same month last year. I have not looked at lexus to see if they were in a similar situation but sales don't lie.

ScottLong 09-03-2014 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 15145399)
Sure post a nicely build lexus, anyone would want that over a stock acura.

To me though the above Lexus have really ugly grills. I'm not down for the predator look. Only front end I think looks good is the IS-F.

If you ask me, Lexus doesnt look as luxurious as it used to. Im speaking ONLY looks. Where as I feel Acura has taken on a more luxurious and less sporty look. Its pure personal preference there.

The ILX is very tame. Add the OEM kit and it spruces up a bit. Add a splitter like I have and it looks far more aggressive.
The TLX, IMO, looks great in the front. Rear looks classy.
RLX, same as TLX but bigger and bulkier, exactly where the flagship of a luxury maker should be IMO. This is just my thoughts on the luxury brand. Not a sports car.

If you take Chan_Mike's TLX build lowered oem kit on vossens it will turn heads probably as much as that last lexus that was posted.
Take the wheels off the lexus and put them on the his TLX and id pick that all day over the Lexus... especially if Im making the payments.

I like Acura. My Dad still drives a 3G Acura TL as his 2nd car and at 140,000 miles there is no issues what so ever. Looks are personal opinion and I respect the opinions of everyone when it comes to the subject of 'looks'. That being said, Lexus to me make the better looking cars. Better quality and stronger Brand. Reliability? Acura is probably equal if not better than Lexus. More 'bang for the bucks'? Honestly? Probably Acura these days. Lexus has gotten more and more expensive over the years. A Base 2015 Lexus IS 250 with no navi will cost you around 38,000 MSRP now.

Lexus knew it had to evolve. This is what have impressed me so much about Lexus. Lexus was still a very very strong #3 from 2011-2013. Fourth was a very distance Audi or Cadillac(depending on the year) in terms of US Luxury sales. Yet even at a strong #3, Lexus started the panic and changed their direction. Instead of waiting for the Brand to slip down under 200,000 sales units, they began the massive overhaul when their cars was still selling a massive amount. (Just not as much as before). They changed their entire persona. Making their sedans more controversial. F Sport types. Grilles. Performance RC lines coming. Driver's car mentality. Etc etc. And it worked.
Lexus is still '#3' but rapidly closing in on BMW and Mercedes in sales. Will probably surpass BMW by the end of October. That's the way a luxury car company should conduct themselves. You 'freak out' when you are still very good but no longer great. Acura was never great. But they were at one time 'very good'. They haven't even began the 'freak out process' even when they hit 'average'.

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ScottLong (Post 15145700)
I like Acura. My Dad still drives a 3G Acura TL as his 2nd car and at 140,000 miles there is no issues what so ever. Looks are personal opinion and I respect the opinions of everyone when it comes to the subject of 'looks'. That being said, Lexus to me make the better looking cars. Better quality and stronger Brand. Reliability? Acura is probably equal if not better than Lexus. More 'bang for the bucks'? Honestly? Probably Acura these days. Lexus has gotten more and more expensive over the years. A Base 2015 Lexus IS 250 with no navi will cost you around 38,000 MSRP now.

Lexus knew it had to evolve. This is what have impressed me so much about Lexus. Lexus was still a very very strong #3 from 2011-2013. Fourth was a very distance Audi or Cadillac(depending on the year) in terms of US Luxury sales. Yet even at a strong #3, Lexus started the panic and changed their direction. Instead of waiting for the Brand to slip down under 200,000 sales units, they began the massive overhaul when their cars was still selling a massive amount. (Just not as much as before). They changed their entire persona. Making their sedans more controversial. F Sport types. Grilles. Performance RC lines coming. Driver's car mentality. Etc etc. And it worked.
Lexus is still '#3' but rapidly closing in on BMW and Mercedes in sales. Will probably surpass BMW by the end of October. That's the way a luxury car company should conduct themselves. You 'freak out' when you are still very good but no longer great. Acura was never great. But they were at one time 'very good'. They haven't even began the 'freak out process' even when they hit 'average'.

All I see is diarrhea of the fingers.

p.diddy 09-03-2014 03:19 PM

leading in sales doesn't make it a better brand, you keep putting this huge emphasis on sales. i also have to disagree that lexus has this ungodly lead audi also like you say. so acura wasn't great in the 90's are you serious lol.

oo7spy 09-03-2014 03:41 PM

Reliability? Acura is probably equal if not better than Lexus.

Lexus cars are more reliable than Acura in every (or just about every) category.

You wrote a lot of words, but I'm not sure what you are really trying to say. Are you answering your own question? :scratch:

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 03:54 PM

yeah...pretty sure I called this one since the beginning.

charliemike 09-03-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 15145683)
I own Mopar now, but I like, love, and look at other vehicles.

Before we settled on the Cherokee I looked at and suggested everything to my wife.

We both don't like the Rav4, I like the Sportage but it came up short on interior feel (Kia is doing great things, especially with cars...the SUVs are still catching up) I test drove the Kia Sorento...pretty nice inside, though I don't love the design...the 3.3 V6 was anemic and the transmission kept searching for gears...so I was turned off. Wife drove and didn't love the Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The Tiguan has no interior space, especially in the rear cargo area and its overpriced. The new Highlander looks nice, interior is great...but I was bored with our current highlander we were replacing and the new one was too new to get really good deals. Parents as new Ford Escape as rental last time they visited, it was nice, and they look great. But it lacks some of the features of the Jeep and costs more.

I did just find a 72 bmw 3.0S Bavaria that was in MINT...I mean MINT condition last week...7g....fucking thing sold in less than a day. I would have tried to buy that in a heart beat, it was amazing.

I remember you doing a lot of shopping. I recall you weren't initially looking at the Cherokee but once you drove it you were sold on it.

ScottLong 09-03-2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 15145708)
All I see is diarrhea of the fingers.

You a bit annoyed that I claim you 'offended me'. I was obviously not that serious. It's a forum. I can say all sorts of surreal disgusting vile things about your wife and family. And it still wouldn't mean anything. What exactly are YOU trying to do in this thread? I'm serious. I'm trying to do a variety of things:
1-Hear the opinions of posters on a site I'm new to.
2-Voice my own opinions.
3-If I annoy a number of posters on this site. It is what it is. So be it.

What exactly are YOU trying to do in this thread though?

A-Annoy me?
B-Get me to 'stop posting' on this site and leave?
C-Act like a 'tough internet bad boy'?

Because you say this thread has been done before 'countless' times.
Which means you have read it 'countless' times. Why are you reading it yet again? Why not just ignore this thread?

Ken1997TL 09-03-2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by wildeklave (Post 15145692)
not sure how relevant this is but Honda / Acura struggled in August

http://autospies.com/images/users/Ag...0-%20honda.JPG

Year over year the RDX is down 400 vehicles, the ILX was up about 80 cars sold, and the combined TLX/ TSX / TL was down almost 1000 vehicles compared to the same month last year. I have not looked at lexus to see if they were in a similar situation but sales don't lie.

Honda sold a TON of Accords in August.. that's the bread and butter.

ScottLong 09-03-2014 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by p.diddy (Post 15145712)
leading in sales doesn't make it a better brand, you keep putting this huge emphasis on sales. i also have to disagree that lexus has this ungodly lead audi also like you say. so acura wasn't great in the 90's are you serious lol.

Audi is different. They are the only teir 1 Brand in America without Tier 1 Sales to back it up. The reason being because of supply and demand. So Audi is the exception when talking sales. Audi is equal to if not better than Lexus..........despite selling a lot less at a similar price point. Simply because of the Supply/Demand De Factor Trade Clause Graphs Linear is Triangulum. You go up but you can't meet the side rush.

charliemike 09-03-2014 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScottLong (Post 15145686)
When I called the Lexus Dealerships, they said the RC-350 will be around the same price as the IS 350 F Sport. The much more superior RC-F will be slightly lower than the M4, but not by that much. Nothing's confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be slightly less expensive but equally loaded compared to the 4 Series and the M4.

That's about $46-50K for a RWD RC350 ... Eesh.

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 15145752)
I remember you doing a lot of shopping. I recall you weren't initially looking at the Cherokee but once you drove it you were sold on it.

I was always looking at it. I loved the way it looked. Once I drove it I was sold. Wife had final say though since its for her.

But on days where Im not working I help take the kids/pick them up so I drive it a fair amount as well.

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ScottLong (Post 15145753)
You a bit annoyed that I claim you 'offended me'. I was obviously not that serious. It's a forum. I can say all sorts of surreal disgusting vile things about your wife and family. And it still wouldn't mean anything. What exactly are YOU trying to do in this thread? I'm serious. I'm trying to do a variety of things:
1-Hear the opinions of posters on a site I'm new to.
2-Voice my own opinions.
3-If I annoy a number of posters on this site. It is what it is. So be it.

What exactly are YOU trying to do in this thread though?

A-Annoy me?
B-Get me to 'stop posting' on this site and leave?
C-Act like a 'tough internet bad boy'?

Because you say this thread has been done before 'countless' times.
Which means you have read it 'countless' times. Why are you reading it yet again? Why not just ignore this thread?

Im interacting with known denizens of AZ...you, I'm more or less ignoring as you're not adding or revealing anything new to this conversation.

oonowindoo 09-03-2014 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 15145764)
That's about $46-50K for a RWD RC350 ... Eesh.

still cheaper than 335i :rofl:

If it has the looks to back it up, Lexus will have no problem selling at $46-$50k in LA and Vancouver area, even tho the engine is still shit.

on a related note, I hope BMW loses its "10 best for 23 years in a row" crap one of these years, they are really getting too cocky at this moment. $55k for a 328i is just too much.

oonowindoo 09-03-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 15145774)
Im interacting with known denizens of AZ...you, I'm more or less ignoring as you're not adding or revealing anything new to this conversation.

Hey, he sounds respectful and we should be nice to him.

charliemike 09-03-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15145776)
still cheaper than 335i :rofl:

If it has the looks to back it up, Lexus will have no problem selling at $46-$50k in LA and Vancouver area, even tho the engine is still shit.

That engine is why I wouldn't consider it. #forcedinductionwhore that I am.

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15145782)
Hey, he sounds respectful and we should be nice to him.

Time will tell.

ttribe 09-03-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScottLong (Post 15145759)
Audi is different. They are the only teir 1 Brand in America without Tier 1 Sales to back it up. The reason being because of supply and demand. So Audi is the exception when talking sales. Audi is equal to if not better than Lexus..........despite selling a lot less at a similar price point. Simply because of the Supply/Demand De Factor Trade Clause Graphs Linear is Triangulum. You go up but you can't meet the side rush.

At first, I was inclined to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but all this Audi sales level talk has me smelling Tommy. Am I alone?

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 15145790)
At first, I was inclined to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but all this Audi sales level talk has me smelling Tommy. Am I alone?

If I tried typing using a turd hanging halfway out of my ass I could come up with more coherent and interesting posts.

oonowindoo 09-03-2014 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 15145785)
Time will tell.

if u keep pushing him.. eventually he will explode.

We don't want the reputation that Cartalk is trying to ban every new member :rofl:

oonowindoo 09-03-2014 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 15145783)
That engine is why I wouldn't consider it. #forcedinductionwhore that I am.

i can live with the engine, but i can't live with autotragic.

Sarlacc 09-03-2014 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15145801)
if u keep pushing him.. eventually he will explode.

We don't want the reputation that Cartalk is trying to ban every new member :rofl:

I make the accurate comment this thread is a dead horse...he disagrees having not been here long.

Others agree...he goes on to say he is offended. Then he backpedals saying he can talk all sorts of weird shit and not actually mean it.

I don't have to push him to explode, it'll happen on its own.

I'm interested in ttribe's theory. how about an IP check...

p.diddy 09-03-2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 15145790)

+1

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 15145795)
If I tried typing using a turd hanging halfway out of my ass I could come up with more coherent and interesting posts.

dude im crying lol. i swear i read some of the funniest shit on this forum.

ACCURATEin 09-03-2014 04:48 PM

Lexus. The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection.

Acura. Advance.

Their slogans might help us understand why Lexus is leading the way.

p.diddy 09-03-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin (Post 15145847)

Acura. Content with being mediocre and bland.

Fixed lol.

ACCURATEin 09-03-2014 04:57 PM

lol! Maybe they should adopt that. People might like it! There are a lot of people content with being mediocre and bland.

H_CAR 09-03-2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin (Post 15145859)
lol! Maybe they should adopt that. People might like it! There are a lot of people content with being mediocre and bland.

This was Lexus until about 2013 with the GS.

oonowindoo 09-03-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by H_CAR (Post 15145959)

is this a fact or your opinion?

i have always thought GS was expensive and status symbol since the early 2000s... When i was in HS, GS sounded just as expensive and prestigious as BMW.

I had my CL-S already in my Senior year and everyone was like Acura who? :rofl:

ttribe 09-03-2014 06:43 PM

I think you are referring to the driving dynamics, only, right? (ignoring the IS-F and the LF-A)

Costco 09-03-2014 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin (Post 15145847)

Acura. Advance.

I thought Acura's slogan was "Made for Mankind" now.

You know, as opposed to made for giraffes. Or dolphins.

oonowindoo 09-03-2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 15146006)
I thought Acura's slogan was "Made for Mankind" now.

You know, as opposed to made for giraffes. Or dolphins.

No they have one for each model now.

ILX: The real world is waiting
TLX: It is that kind of thrill
RLX: Intuition unleashed by the will of the driver
RDX: Refuge for your next inspiration
MDX: Inspired by the standards of mankind

YeuEmMaiMai 09-03-2014 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ (Post 15144602)

the TL literally went from fun to drive to being a big fat pig overnight....

ScottLong 09-03-2014 08:32 PM

I don't think you can be the #1 Luxury Brand in the United States for a full decade by being 'mediocre'. Lexus's LS Flagship outsold the 7 Series from 2000-2010. You don't get to do that by being 'bland'.

Lexus have become more 'cutting edge' now and more performance oriented. But it was always the Mercedes that Mercedes never build. It was never once 'bland and average'.

ScottLong 09-03-2014 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 15145805)
I make the accurate comment this thread is a dead horse...he disagrees having not been here long.

Others agree...he goes on to say he is offended. Then he backpedals saying he can talk all sorts of weird shit and not actually mean it.

I don't have to push him to explode, it'll happen on its own.

I'm interested in ttribe's theory. how about an IP check...

I'm not Tommy. Is that a troll or some 'forum enemy' of Acurazine? IP check me asap. Get a moderator. You sound really really paranoid. Why keep coming back to this thread?

Stop it. You say you come back to 'interact' with your 'online friends'? These same online friends are in other more relevant and worthy threads. Why keep coming back to mine? I'm serious. I really do want to hear your answer.

I think the answer is:
"You annoy me newbie. I don't like the way you post. I'm going to indirectly bash you and your thread because I feel like I have some 'senior' privilege bestowed upon me in a virtual World.

This thread is to talk about Lexus and Acura. Not just Lexus and not just Acura. This thread is to talk about sales figures and company directions. The 'what ifs' and 'what did they do wrongs'. If you don't like this thread? By all means. Leave. If you feel like I deserve to be kicked out of your site? Or I'm some 'Tomy' troll? By all means report me and IP check me.

I'm going to respectfully ask you to either leave this thread now or join in the discussion.

Rick_TL-S 09-03-2014 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 15145399)
To me though the above Lexus have really ugly grills. I'm not down for the predator look. Only front end I think looks good is the IS-F.

If you ask me, Lexus doesnt look as luxurious as it used to. Im speaking ONLY looks. Where as I feel Acura has taken on a more luxurious and less sporty look. Its pure personal preference there.

Because Lexus had to make a bold move to attract an younger crowd. Before that grille, Lexus' really was something of an older folks' car. You had the IS for the young guys, but everything else was styled a lot more conservative to what it is now. The clientele for each model is actually still roughly the same (bar the RX), but the cars like the ES certainly don't look like Grandma's Avalon gussied up with "L" badge anymore.

In the end, it worked out perfectly.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15145776)
on a related note, I hope BMW loses its "10 best for 23 years in a row" crap one of these years, they are really getting too cocky at this moment. $55k for a 328i is just too much.

$55K if you tick every single box, sure. A 328i with just the Premium & Technology package is all it really needs; under $50K.

You'll find this trend in all the Germans, though.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15145976)
is this a fact or your opinion?
i have always thought GS was expensive and status symbol since the early 2000s... When i was in HS, GS sounded just as expensive and prestigious as BMW.

It's a pretty well founded opinion because again, the styling Lexus continued with was pretty conservative & now it looks even more outdated with the new styling.

Hard to believe how much older the left looks now considering these are both 4th Generation LS'.
http://4carcentral.com/wp-content/up...xury-sedan.jpg

p.diddy 09-03-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S (Post 15146178)
Because Lexus had to make a bold move to attract an younger crowd. Before that grille, Lexus' really was something of an older folks' car. You had the IS for the young guys, but everything else was styled a lot more conservative to what it is now. The clientele for each model is actually still roughly the same (bar the RX), but the cars like the ES certainly don't look like Grandma's Avalon gussied up with "L" badge anymore.

$55K if you tick every single box, sure. A 328i with just the Premium & Technology package is all it really needs; under $50K.

It's a pretty well founded opinion because again, the styling Lexus continued with was pretty conservative & now it looks even more outdated with the new styling.

Hard to believe how much older the left looks now considering these are both 4th Generation LS'.

i actually like the one on the left better. not a big fan of the grille on the newer LS.

ScottLong 09-03-2014 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S (Post 15146178)

It speaks to how good the LS is though when this is the oldest car in the segment and yet it still finished neck and neck against the 7 series in 2013. The LS is a 76,000USD+ car and managed over 10,000 sales in 2013 with a very old and outdated model. The 'Refresh' helped, but it's essentially the same old LS. I fully expect the new LS to take over the segment lead again once it launches sometimes in 2016.