Honda Ridgeline

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
It's certainly an odd looking "truck", but i'm sure it will sell well. I did already get a few phone calls on it, one most notably from someone who's interested in trading in his loaded Infiniti FX45 for one.
Interesting.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i went and test drove one and all i can say is honda did there research. the truck is great. yes the styling as many have stated is love it or hate it, but i like it. and for the average person whos looking for any type of utility, this is the truck. it rides great, very roomy, the box is ingenius (with the trunk in the floor) is it designed to to be replacing the HD's from the big 3, NO but it will fill alot of garages for those who dont need to tow 18,000 lbs (which is 99% of all truck owners). one of the magazines slapped a 5000 lb trailer on it and put it up against a f150 with a v8 and it was right on its heals the whole time.

im seriously considering it

OH and it looks better in the darker colors!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish there was a little more luxury in it, if so I would have jumped on it this weekend.

Michael
Old 03-08-2005, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Msnowdon
I wish there was a little more luxury in it, if so I would have jumped on it this weekend.

Michael
Maybe Honda will make an Acura version to compete with the Lade EXT.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Burning Brakes

First, it really doesn't look very pleasing to me, then again as a whole I doubt it does to many, utility will sell this vehicle, assuming it sells.

To me it is one of the multitude of attempts by car companies to carve niches out or perceived needs, the kind of stuff that "sounds" good on paper. Sometimes you hit a homerun like with the most recent tries at car/suv "crossovers". Sometimes it just doesn't work. I think if people truely consider their needs not a lot of these will sell.

For the person that needs the occasional use of a truck bed, it seems FAR more generally useful to have a SUV plus a utility trailer. Consider the Pilot with trailer vs Ridgeline, the price isn't that much different and you get more of everything with the former except you loose 1500 lbs of towing cap (500 with a boat) and currently you can get a decent deal on a Pilot, doubtful with the Ridgeline. Now I admit the trailer would be a pain (and some people don't have the space for a trailer) but if you use the bed that often the Ridgeline will likely not cut it as a "truck" for that person anyway. I see the niche as tightly defined, needing a bed just often enough so a SUV is out of place but not enough to need a standard small/mid truck, or the person that wants crossover quality ride but needs something between the magical 3500lb crossover tow capacity and 5000 lb and finally the person that needs to replace their outgoing Aztec and finds that this pleases their eye!

Its introduction comes at an interesting time for me, in that I need a vehicle roughly in this demographic, a crossover ride with occasional tow capacity 4WD capable of muddy trail running and not too "nice" to get the occasional tree branch scratch. However, it would just meet my boat towing capacity but would not quite meet my track car tow needs, just 500 more pounds capacity and some non-Honda brakes and it would have been on my radar. Thats leaves me spending a few thousand more and getting a Pathy or 4Runner with seating for seven, more luxury, subjectively better looks, more tow capacity and with a utility trailer more "bed" capacity. Although, due to tow capacity it wasn't in the running for me, I think the above formula with the Pathy and 4Runner make it a tough sale and there are several fine small/mid trucks if you lean a little more that way. I think they will sell (no $4500 rebates here) but I don't think the demographic is as large as some think. But then even though I was bullish on the Element it surprised me and quite a few others as well.

Vandy
Old 03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The more and more that I see this truck (saw one in black the other day) the more I'm beginning to really like it. If I hadn't just bought my F-150..........
Old 03-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i would take a titan over that thing anyday.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
get one then. why are all you guys saying you would get xxxx over the ridgeline? the ridgeline doesn't even compete with those. this is just a light duty 1/2 ton truck. xxxx can tow 8000lbs. so what? want a cookie?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
FYI Titans have been having real problems with their brakes....Customers have to change them every 3000 miles, and the ones that come out of the car after that time are fully worn...
Ed
Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro

i saw a white one on the road today going the other way while i was waiting to make a u-turn. i was like what is that then i was like oh shit that sthe new ridgeline. i cant believe they put amber on the tail lights.....yuck!!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
i love the titan i would deffinitely take that in a six speed manual. even if i would have to swap the breaks
Old 03-19-2005, 01:43 PM
White and Nerdy

I saw a white Ridgeline up in the 'Burgh yesterday. I thought that it looked much better than the drawings and pics that I have seen online, etc. Certainly better than alot of trucks from other carmakers. I thought I would really hate that front grille design, but it didn't bother me. As a whole, I kind of liked the way it looked...tough looking, but, hey, its a freakin truck!

The one I saw was white. I'll have to see how it looks in a darker color.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I love the Ridgeline, just wish it had a tad more power and more luxury inside.

Michael
Old 03-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I just checked the lease prices....the one with leather/roof is a pretty expensive lease!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:23 AM
ric
Safety Car

Car and Driver's current issue runs a five-truck test including the Cevrolet Colorado LS, the Dodge Dakota SLT, The Nissan Frontier LE, the Toyota Tacoma SRS and the Honda Ridgeline. Honda comes out as #1

They note: You access the trunk via a hand dual action tailgate that swings open from right to lef and opens downwers. THe trunk is watertight and has a drain, turing it into a very large beverage cooler...... The Honda driving experience is in another leage, according to one of the tes drivers. The ride is on the firm side, but the payoff is a clear communications line beween the road and driver. We're not talking sports car feel here, but it's head and shoulders above the comeptitors.

Final comment - the bar has been raised.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

I'll pass.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I almost find it funny in that Honda, on their first pass, come out on top in a group that has been making trucks for a LONG time.

Unreal...
Old 05-26-2005, 08:39 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Scrib
I almost find it funny in that Honda, on their first pass, come out on top in a group that has been making trucks for a LONG time.

Unreal...
Maybe they were able to sit down at the drafting board unencumbered by their own past.......... allowed them to think out of the box a bit.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ric
Maybe they were able to sit down at the drafting board unencumbered by their own past..........
Ahh... This isn't hondas first truck... I'd love to have one of the old aircooled engine powered hondas (truck or roadster)...

http://www.hondasportsregistry.com/about.php

T360

It was shown alongside the T360, a small cab-over-engine pick up truck, and the S500, a larger-engined and larger-bodied version of the tiny sports car, both of which shared the S360’s basic engine design. The S360 never actually went into production because of conflicts with the contemporary Japanese Government’s size and displacement rules, and restrictive tax laws.

Fortunately for both us and Mr. Honda, his fiery character compelled him into fighting the government, and pushing forth with his plans to produce automobiles. The first Honda automotive product to actually go into production was the T360 truck in June of 1963. With a slightly detuned version of the S360 engine, it produced 30 horsepower at 8,500 rpm. Between June 1963 and August 1967, Honda produced 108,920 of these "sports trucks" in four different versions; a T360 with a conventional pick up truck bed (pictured); a T360F flat bed with wooden slats; a T360H with a flat pick up truck bed and sides that fold in addition to the tailgate; and a T360V "panel van" with an enclosed, hard cap over the bed.

T500

The T360's big brother, the T500, was produced from September1964 to November1967. It was available in two body styles; a conventional pick up bed, and the T500F, shown here, with the flatbed and sides that fold down in addition to the tailgate. Engine displacement was increased to 531cc, increasing the horsepower to 38 at 7,500 rpm. Total production over the four year span was 10,226.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 AM
go like hell

Originally Posted by gingerbread
i love the titan i would deffinitely take that in a six speed manual. even if i would have to swap the breaks
first of all you can't get a stick in the titan. number two:ATTENTION EVERYONE THE RIDGELINE IS NOT A HALF TON. IT'S A MIDSIZE TRUCK. so putting it up against a F-150,Titan,Tundra,Sierra,Silverado and Ram is not fair.
more fair class is: Dakota, Frontier, Tacoma, Canyon, and Ranger.
besides everyone bitching about the tow capacity of the Ridgeline. it's the second highest in it ties the second highest in class. only one above it is the Dakota because they offer a V-8. So if you need something heavier than 5000 lbs you're gonna have to go to 1/2 ton. I think this is good for guys who want decent mileage but still occassionally pull a smaller boat, or hauls dirt bikes,jet skis. stuff that is small. your truck owners who hauls/pull large items is still gonna go with the "big 3" because they usually(except with the Titan) have the largest tow/hauling capabilities.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Ahh... This isn't hondas first truck... I'd love to have one of the old aircooled engine powered hondas (truck or roadster)...

http://www.hondasportsregistry.com/about.php

T360

It was shown alongside the T360, a small cab-over-engine pick up truck, and the S500, a larger-engined and larger-bodied version of the tiny sports car, both of which shared the S360’s basic engine design. The S360 never actually went into production because of conflicts with the contemporary Japanese Government’s size and displacement rules, and restrictive tax laws.

Fortunately for both us and Mr. Honda, his fiery character compelled him into fighting the government, and pushing forth with his plans to produce automobiles. The first Honda automotive product to actually go into production was the T360 truck in June of 1963. With a slightly detuned version of the S360 engine, it produced 30 horsepower at 8,500 rpm. Between June 1963 and August 1967, Honda produced 108,920 of these "sports trucks" in four different versions; a T360 with a conventional pick up truck bed (pictured); a T360F flat bed with wooden slats; a T360H with a flat pick up truck bed and sides that fold in addition to the tailgate; and a T360V "panel van" with an enclosed, hard cap over the bed.

T500

The T360's big brother, the T500, was produced from September1964 to November1967. It was available in two body styles; a conventional pick up bed, and the T500F, shown here, with the flatbed and sides that fold down in addition to the tailgate. Engine displacement was increased to 531cc, increasing the horsepower to 38 at 7,500 rpm. Total production over the four year span was 10,226.

Gotta love it. Especially the logo................. they really are cute as a button.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Unreal...
Like to see how Honda does with a V8 powered RWD coupe (2+2).
Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
Like to see how Honda does with a V8 powered RWD coupe (2+2).
A V6 RWD coupe would be enough for me...with an Acura badge preferably...
Old 05-26-2005, 11:09 AM
go like hell

Unreal...
I think Honda/Acura acts on possible problems/wants of the consumer before they arise. (true you got the transmissions in CL,TL and v-6 accord) but as far as layout things like that. Ford,Chevy and Dodge they kind of modify the truck by generation from previous mistakes and/or what the consumer wants.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ric
Gotta love it. Especially the logo................. they really are cute as a button.

To bad some of the cuteness didn't rub off on the Ridgeline

I think the Ridgeline is one of the best trucks out there (cost is no object), but it's still fugly like it's sibling, the element...
Old 05-26-2005, 02:24 PM
ric
Safety Car

To bad some of the cuteness didn't rub off on the Ridgeline

I think the Ridgeline is one of the best trucks out there (cost is no object), but it's still fugly like it's sibling, the element...
I hear you - but I think some of the uglyness of the Ridgeline is because the proportions are not typical for a pickup due to the size of the cab, and the unitized body makes one "miss" the separation between the cab and the flatbed that is typical in pickups of that size. I think it may, over time, become more conventional as others look at the unitized body.

As for the Element, it is purposefully ugly, it has an intended "edge" designed to appear to post-adolescents still hooked on grunge, I think. It sort of revels in its tonkatoy quality. In that sense, though I'd never buy one, I can sort of respect what the designer's intent was.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ric
I hear you - but I think some of the uglyness of the Ridgeline is because the proportions are not typical for a pickup due to the size of the cab, and the unitized body makes one "miss" the separation between the cab and the flatbed that is typical in pickups of that size. I think it may, over time, become more conventional as others look at the unitized body.

As for the Element, it is purposefully ugly, it has an intended "edge" designed to appear to post-adolescents still hooked on grunge, I think. It sort of revels in its tonkatoy quality. In that sense, though I'd never buy one, I can sort of respect what the designer's intent was.

In both cases I understand the thinking behind the design...so I don't think they are that ugly.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Element is ugly. Period.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ric
I think part of the reason for the ridgeline styling is due to it being a new truck for honda. They really needed something that was totally different, to help set it (and several of it's design features) apart from the competition.

I'm sure the styling will "soften" a bit when it's due for it's MMC in a few years.

I love the utilitarian aspects of the Element, but your right, it's too "edgy" for a older guy like me... It's funny, but I love the looks of the Scion Xb
Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
Element is ugly. Period.

Yeah, I guess an opinion can have a "Period" after it too.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I think part of the reason for the ridgeline styling is due to it being a new truck for honda. They really needed something that was totally different, to help set it (and several of it's design features) apart from the competition.

I'm sure the styling will "soften" a bit when it's due for it's MMC in a few years.

I love the utilitarian aspects of the Element, but your right, it's too "edgy" for a older guy like me... It's funny, but I love the looks of the Scion Xb
the main styling that throws the look off (to some) is the C pillar design on a truck. its not that they really wanted to, but to achieve the desired structural stiffness they had to design it with the sloped C pillar due to it being unibody designed and not body on frame

the ridgeline looks best in Black hands down
Old 05-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Yeah, I guess an opinion can have a "Period" after it too.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
the main styling that throws the look off (to some) is the C pillar design on a truck. its not that they really wanted to, but to achieve the desired structural stiffness they had to design it with the sloped C pillar due to it being unibody designed and not body on frame

the ridgeline looks best in Black hands down
You know, I don't think I've ever seen one in black...but Honda's do look their best in black.

Does anyone know how well the Ridgeline is selling? It's been out for a couple months now and we should start seeing sales figures. It's a critical success, but is it a market success?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

the main styling that throws the look off (to some) is the C pillar design on a truck.
I don't mind the C pillar. It's the front end that kills it for me...
Old 05-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't mind the C pillar. It's the front end that kills it for me...
I kinda like the front end...too bad it has the aerodynamics of a brick wall.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
You know, I don't think I've ever seen one in black...but Honda's do look their best in black.

Does anyone know how well the Ridgeline is selling? It's been out for a couple months now and we should start seeing sales figures. It's a critical success, but is it a market success?
our dealer cant keep them in stock. every time they get a shipment with in a week they are all gone
Old 05-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

our dealer cant keep them in stock. every time they get a shipment with in a week they are all gone
That's cool. I like seeing a new product be successful. I haven't seen any on the roads yet...weird.