Here is a surprise: Mazda6 booted off CR's recommended list

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sipark

this guy must be or somethin.. or wants to be next sickLex, bashing tsx on tsx forum.
LOL! Priceless comment about sicklex
Old 11-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Love Heated Seats!

Hi All,

I've owned one Mazda and two Acuras. I've has fewer problems in twelve years with my Miata than I've had in four years with my Acuras. Problems with my 2001 EL were endless. The TSX has been better but still some issues -- stereo replaced twice, recent recall, center console and sunroof lights failed, stalled in the middle of the highway at -30, squeeks that I try to get used to, fog lights cracked and replaced, brakes squeek constantly....

I love the TSX but reliability has hounded both my Acuras. Could be just me, but Mazda is OK in my book. They just don't make a premium car with the features I want!
Old 11-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSXMiata
Hi All,

I've owned one Mazda and two Acuras. I've has fewer problems in twelve years with my Miata than I've had in four years with my Acuras. Problems with my 2001 EL were endless. The TSX has been better but still some issues -- stereo replaced twice, recent recall, center console and sunroof lights failed, stalled in the middle of the highway at -30, squeeks that I try to get used to, fog lights cracked and replaced, brakes squeek constantly....

I love the TSX but reliability has hounded both my Acuras. Could be just me, but Mazda is OK in my book. They just don't make a premium car with the features I want!

I've owned a 98 EL from late 1997 to this June, when I traded it in for the TSX. Been involved in 1 major collision. Never had a problem with the car besides poor factory wipers. Incredible value for the money. Sorry to hear about the problems you've had w/ your Acuras though. I hope you get everything resolved soon.

I seriously was contemplating the Mazda 6 as well before purchasing the TSX. IMO, the interior of the 6 ABSOLUTELY cannot compare to the Acura at all, fully loaded or not. Perhaps the person who mentioned that they were equal simply meant the same quantity of options for the price, but quality wise and ergonomics, there is no comparison.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Hi All,

Miata is made in Japan but Mazda 6 is made in USA. And also Miata have no electronic to break and every bugs should be fixed since it is a 15 yr old model. I love Miata too! I always thinking to get a Miata as a weekend car but weekend are always a family day for me, so a weekend car will be useless for me! Once my kids grow up, for sure I will get one...
Old 11-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Plus, in general, people travel < 10,000km a year with a Miata. It's usually a weekend car, so of course you won't be having too many problems with that car since most of the driving you with the EL or whatever other car you have.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Love Heated Seats!

I put 226000 K/m on the miata. It was my only car for 7 years. My brother has one, also. We bought them in '93 and still have both. They're wonderful cars but not very practical. That's what I have the TSX for. It's a wonderful sporty, prestige car that carries four. The Mazda 6 is nice but quality and reliability just aren't there.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
More reasons why I'm glad I didn't get a 6....
Old 11-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I put 226000 K/m on the miata. It was my only car for 7 years. My brother has one, also. We bought them in '93 and still have both. They're wonderful cars but not very practical. That's what I have the TSX for. It's a wonderful sporty, prestige car that carries four. The Mazda 6 is nice but quality and reliability just aren't there.
You drove it in winter? You had a hardtop?
Old 11-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
You drove it in winter? You had a hardtop?
my friend had a miata....till he got rear ended twice by two full size trucks...

softtop and he'd drive it all year round cause it's his only vehicle...donuts in the snow was fun
Old 11-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

Have to really question CR's credibility for putting a car on a recommended list one year and taking it off the next. That would seem to imply the car should have never been on the list to begin with and that their requirements to get on the list aren't dependable at determining reliability.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Love Heated Seats!

I think that CR bases the reliability on their annual survey and update it according to the latest. I guess that the 6 dropped below average on the latest survey so it got dropped.

And, yes I drove my miata in winter, mostly city. Had a hard top and blizzaks. Worked OK but I don't really recommend it.