Here is a strange situation (on a newer car)..

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
They take back the car and either find her a suitable replacement or give her a 100% refund including all fees and taxes. The car should never have seen sold, especially as an CPO if they can't find the VIN in their system.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX
It is a Japanese AWD (BIG HINT), bought at the Dealership that sells the same brand. Trust me, the Dealer is stumped. I am 100% positive they know they vehicles and where to look to check all the Vin #s. Dealer has checked and also called the Big Cheese.... no record comes back to this car.

Like I said, they told her they will call her Tues and in the meantime, they have given her a Loaner. Tres bizarre, n'ect ce pas?
i don't believe it that all documentations on this car just disappeared. you're making it up...and not telling us the brand and model and where you bought it from only heightens my point.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
she does not want the car as they do not know where the car came from. What also scares her is that car has 20k on the clock and has an oil leak as well as the spots appearing on the 2 front seats..
Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Update:

they called said they have no clue about this but they will be putting the car back in the system. This was expected. So I told the g/f we will need to go in and speak with the Manager. I also told her she needs to think about what she wants to do and not walk in and say "I don't know".

here are the options:

1) they take back the car and find her a suitable replacement
2) they take back the car and pay her back whatever is owed
3) they take the car in on trade for a new car (not an option as she lacks funds).

anyone else have ideas on options and please be serious on this. It is a serious problem to us.

as for not paying on the car, you guys have to understand that the payments are to a Bank. It is not their fault that this has happened.
That's a line of BS.

The car is used. When the car was delivered and sold to the original owner, it must have been reported to the OEM. For any warranty issues since then, it must have been tracked and reported by its VIN. How, all of a sudden, is the VIN lost when it's resold as a CPO? It makes no sense and frankly, I would be extremely concerned. Sure, they are telling you it's okay and patting you on the back, but there could be other problems. Plus, how was the car even certified as a CPO when they supposedly didn't even have a record of that car being their own?

I would go back and politely but sternly ask to return the car, citing the concerns. Tell them to find you a car in their lot of equivalent model and features.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
So confused, does the car's vin come up in carfax?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Guys, quit asking for the carfax. I do not have it and as far as I know, for some reason, it did have a carfax up (they gave us one). When I go down tomorrow to talk with them, I will ask them to pull it up again.

Yes, this makes no sense at all. What are the odds. This happened cause she needed warranty work and contacted the Dealer close to her home. They looked and said, no such Vin #. Then the dealer she bought from was contacted and they said the same thing.

This is a Subaru. Bought with 16k miles and bought from a Subaru dealer. Thank goodness the make and dealer bought from is a match.

I will update when we go in and speak with the Manager. There is no way she wants them to sweep this under the rug and say, the car is fine even though they know not where the car comes. Isn't this so bizarre?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Have you generated a CARFAX report off of the car's VIN #??? ...as in recently over the past couple of days...

I think we are all asking you to answer that question.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
She didn't get it from Mike Scarff's Subaru did she?

Those commercials were highlighting their own shady practices

Last edited by endo022; 01-11-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Guys, quit asking for the carfax. I do not have it and as far as I know, for some reason, it did have a carfax up (they gave us one). When I go down tomorrow to talk with them, I will ask them to pull it up again.

Yes, this makes no sense at all. What are the odds. This happened cause she needed warranty work and contacted the Dealer close to her home. They looked and said, no such Vin #. Then the dealer she bought from was contacted and they said the same thing.

This is a Subaru. Bought with 16k miles and bought from a Subaru dealer. Thank goodness the make and dealer bought from is a match.

I will update when we go in and speak with the Manager. There is no way she wants them to sweep this under the rug and say, the car is fine even though they know not where the car comes. Isn't this so bizarre?
turbo at least?

and as far as oil leaks at 20k, there's an issue with that, not common (they have a couple of known leaks, but normally they don't show up till 70-80k miles plus+)(only thing i might say is that whoever did an oil change last did not pull the under shield to do it potential, and it was dripping down from that, the newer ones have better cut-outs to do it though, so you do not have to pull the full shield)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Have you generated a CARFAX report off of the car's VIN #??? ...as in recently over the past couple of days...

I think we are all asking you to answer that question.
Things are being worked on. I'm sure Eggplant-EX will give us all the important details when they arrive. I think he is trying to do things in an approved kinda way.

:wink:

Last edited by black label; 01-11-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
wow!!!... zanny situation to be in... that's an awful lot of paperwork moving around with no real vin to refer back to... any idea who the 1st owner of the car was?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by black label
Things are being worked on. I'm sure Eggplant-EX will give us all the important details when they arrive. I think he is trying to do things in an approved kinda way.

:wink:
thanks for understanding. And guys, please do not guess or name Dealerships. It makes no difference. I am just hoping for some good ideas/opinions which I have received.

as of today, the car is at the Dealers. They said the put the Vin # in the Subaru record but that is not acceptable. She still has the Loaner and she is not sure what is happening since they are not contacting her.

Vin # was run in Carfax and it does come up. So the car is in Carfax but not in the Manufacturers records. Carfax shows no accidents or damages but when we get the car back, we are going to have to have the car checked.

She contacted an Attorney/friend and was told to contact the AG's office. We also have a guy here (Jesse Jones) on King 5. It all depends on what happens when we speak with the actual Manager. We do not want to car..... The fact that they do not know what happended and the spots on the seats makes us weary...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I wish I could help you but I don't know the brand so I'm not sure it's worth buying a second one ...

I'd get out of it without much blood lost and move on ... If it's a Mitsubishi
Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by charliemike
I wish I could help you but I don't know the brand so I'm not sure it's worth buying a second one ...

I'd get out of it without much blood lost and move on ... If it's a Mitsubishi
already said it was a subie
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I say trade out of it, get a good deal from the dealer/mfg. Let them worry about it. Might take a lawyer to undo the deal. I don't understand. Vin's are sequential I thought. They contain manufacture date, plant, model, engine, trans, etc.

Is this vin not in sequence? Where are the cars produced just before and after?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by MR1
I say trade out of it, get a good deal from the dealer/mfg. Let them worry about it. Might take a lawyer to undo the deal. I don't understand. Vin's are sequential I thought. They contain manufacture date, plant, model, engine, trans, etc.

as far as when they are manufactured, not always, but most of the time they are though (or real close to it)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by MR1

Production date is not in the VIN, it's on a tag inside the drivers door jam. He's in a very odd situation here where a car obviously exists but somehow Subaru lost track of it.

You never want to trade in right away in a situation like this. He may have other means of correcting the issue that won't cost thousands of dollars.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Update?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

so here is the latest.. We saw the GM on Sat and he was real nice. Of course, he was so hoping we would keep the car. But we asked for a replacement and he said no problem. He does not have a 07 with low mileage (20k) but said he would find one with similar mileage and transfer the CPO warranty to the replacement. Said he was fine with either replacing hers with a 07 or even an 08 if he finds one.

now to wait for the Dealership to find a replacement and we do get the option of yay or nay one any car he finds.

when we get it all settled, I will name the Dealership. I do not want to count my 'chickens' yet.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Nice!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so here is the latest.. We saw the GM on Sat and he was real nice. Of course, he was so hoping we would keep the car. But we asked for a replacement and he said no problem. He does not have a 07 with low mileage (20k) but said he would find one with similar mileage and transfer the CPO warranty to the replacement. Said he was fine with either replacing hers with a 07 or even an 08 if he finds one.

now to wait for the Dealership to find a replacement and we do get the option of yay or nay one any car he finds.

when we get it all settled, I will name the Dealership. I do not want to count my 'chickens' yet.
Are they going to be taking your old car back as part of a trade-in? Will they pay the bank loan off and then process another bank loan for the new car? This will impact your credit if they have to pull another report out. What if they find another vehicle but it's valuation is worth less than what you paid for your current car? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered, the problem won't be resolved so easily.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Suzuka Master

just told us that they will take care of everything and switch everything to the other car... I am assuming the loan, the transfer and the CPO status. They are the dealer and I assume they can do it all. At this point, I have to trust as they are a large Dealership and they have been straight up with us. I am definitely going to check out an Impreza hatchback from them the next time I need a car...
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Of course, he was so hoping we would keep the car. But we asked for a replacement and he said no problem.
Nice. Good to hear.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Good to hear that it's going toward a good resolution.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

I'm glad it's working out for you. What ever happened to the "origins" of this car? Did that ever get fully explained? It seemed like a very interesting situation.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Crazy story. Waiting to hear the resolution. Hope it does all go your way.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
I'm glad it's working out for you. What ever happened to the "origins" of this car? Did that ever get fully explained? It seemed like a very interesting situation.

Yes, I want to know the story as to why the VIN on the car was not in the system-- grey market car, typo/number entry mistake, stolen VIN, experimental, foreign market only car, or ???
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

the reason explained to us was the car came in from another Country and the Dealer did not catch it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM
B A N N E D

just told us that they will take care of everything and switch everything to the other car... I am assuming the loan, the transfer and the CPO status. They are the dealer and I assume they can do it all. At this point, I have to trust as they are a large Dealership and they have been straight up with us. I am definitely going to check out an Impreza hatchback from them the next time I need a car...
:shakehead so underpowered, without a hairdryer (turbo) on there

the reason explained to us was the car came in from another Country and the Dealer did not catch it.
was it Canadian? (speedometer primary in kilometers, with mph secondary?)
Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
glad to hear this is headed in the right direction...
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a bit of a sigh of relief there, let us know if they follow through.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
At least it's not an altered vehicle or something nefarious.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Glad all is well!