Have your automotive tastes changed throughout the years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Have your automotive tastes changed throughout the years?

I don't think this has been posted before.

Anyway, have they?

I was thinking tonight while I was covering a couple cars how some of my automotive tastes have changed throughout the years. I've always had my favourites, Ford and Ferrari, but I've noticed through the years that my tastes have at times deviated from one form to another. Cars that used to turn my head are now rarely given a second glance. I used to enjoy expensive Europeans, but now find my tastes gravitating towards cars having a particular, even unrefined, edge. Not to say they're better, but more appealing to me. Hell, I'm not sure I've liked a Ferrari after the 575M Maranello. And the allure of a period correct '32 flathead powered deuce can no longer be ignored.

How about you guys? Any changes throughout the years?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:11 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Mine have definitely changed over the years.

Because of when I grew up, my interests were always with german cars and imports. Eventually, becoming a big honda fan.

As I started autocrossing, I loved hondas/subarus, etc even more and was all about smaller wheelbased cars that were perfect for the sport.

Then, somehow a switch got flipped and big american muscle became my interest. And since my knowledge of cars is/was weakest with older American models, I have taken an interest in educating myself on American car history.

Nowadays, while I would love to once again own an older prelude...My interest really lie in American automobiles these days.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Nope, I still like the same cars years later for the same reasons.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Nowadays, while I would love to once again own an older prelude...
I've seen a few clean 3rd generation Preludes around here lately...
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Mine have definitely changed over the years.

Because of when I grew up, my interests were always with german cars and imports. Eventually, becoming a big honda fan.

As I started autocrossing, I loved hondas/subarus, etc even more and was all about smaller wheelbased cars that were perfect for the sport.

Then, somehow a switch got flipped and big american muscle became my interest. And since my knowledge of cars is/was weakest with older American models, I have taken an interest in educating myself on American car history.

Nowadays, while I would love to once again own an older prelude...My interest really lie in American automobiles these days.

I hear you David. I absolutely love my 6MT Accord. Without a doubt, one of the best cars I have ever owned. But I also love my older American stuff too. The Accord makes me smile when bringing it to redline and hearing it sing. And for a front driver, the chassis is remarkably well sorted and competent. My American stuff, however, makes be laugh when the big carburetorated V8s stumble, then roar.

Lately I've been think a lot about the first car that got me interested in cars so many years ago: a little MGA. Been looking around lately for one of those too.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I'm only 20 and mines changed a lot.

Started with the japanese cars because thats what I grew up around. My parents have owned a toyota's, honda's, nissan's and acura's. I'm glad I got my tl from my mom, best car we've had imo. When I was young and though about my first car it was japanese, normally between a 350z and evo.

Now I dont look at japanese cars as a future purchase.

I moved into german cars when my family friend introduced me to a gti.
Now I love german cars and are still top of my list. If you look at the cars I want to own in my life, its all german for now. GTI then M3 then Porsche (got some big dreams lol) I'll throw an italian in there though if my life turns out that great haha (ferrari)

What was on the bottom of my list (americans) has moved up on my list and surpassed japanese cars. Especially Ford. I'm liking the cars Ford makes now, and other american manufacturers have there good cars too e.g. CTS-V
Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I've seen a few clean 3rd generation Preludes around here lately...
For another time when the kids are bigger.

If I ever get another one it HAS to be a 5MT 4WS.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Nope, I still like the same cars years later for the same reasons.
x2

The only change is that some new cars are added onto the list of those that get my attention as time passes: Aventador added to the list along with the Miura and Countach, Ferrari 458 in addition to the 512BB, Cayman added to the list with the 914-6 and Fiero GT, SC300 as well as 3G Supras, 928s...

My dislikes remain the same, too-- still don't like the AMC Marlin, Ford Torino, post-1960 Rolls Royces or Bentleys other than the current Continental GT Coupe, etc.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Changes all the time.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorta, I used to want a fast car, now I could care less. Maybe it has to do with living in Hawaii, maybe it has to do with crashing a few cars, either way, I think for me it's been going more and more into creature comfort over speed.

I've also found myself liking more unique looking, or cars you don't see on the road too often. I guess I used to be into making like a civic/accord look unique, now it's more like buying a volvo C30, or Y34 Inifiniti M45.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mine began with Mustangs, as my dad was a judge for the MCA. That got me into other Fords of the era and earlier (Torino, Starliner, etc.) and that got me into Harley Earl Buicks and the Pontiac Catalina. I'm pretty much a fan of any 50's and 60's American cars.

When I was 13 or 14, I was hanging out with the country boys and my interest turned to off-road vehicles, and that didn't end until I was about 23. I wrote papers on Jeeps for high school. I was really into it. I had the "It's a Jeep Thing..." sticker, then I had "I do understand the Jeep Thing, that's why I drive a Toyota" because Jeeps are terribly unreliable.

I bought a BMW after my 4Runner, and fell in love with the marque, but I just don't know when I'll have the time to maintain my next one. That gets me to the current taste, which is still power, V8, RWD, but I'm mature and practical, so I chose the TL because I just don't have time to fix nagging issues prevalent on BMWs.

My brother was recently the Regional Director of the MCA and had the largest Mustang enthusiast site in the world. I still have a love for them but my taste is all over the place.

I guess my taste now ranges from hot rods, rat rods, and rat bikes, to new Harleys, Ferraris, and even tasteful lifted diesels. I just don't like anything bland. It's gotta have character.

I really don't see myself buying another FWD car for myself anytime soon though.

Last edited by NWSTL; 06-08-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Not the basic things such as engine performance, manual transmissions (an absolute must in my personal driving machine), good handling and braking abilities. I am more interesting in straight line performance than Porsche or Corvette-like twisty characteristics, but I do appreciate it all. So the same sort of accouterments that attracted me in my later teens, still gets my blood going today.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,819 Likes on 4,277 Posts
My tastes have changed too. I was always a Japanese first guy, because of their reliability. Now I just find them to be exceedingly boring.
I also no longer want FWD. I want the front wheeld to steer and the rear wheels to push...with great authority.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
^^^ 3.8 genesis track 6MT?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
^^^ 3.8 genesis track 6MT?
Maybe. I'm waiting to see what happens at Ford. Mustang 5.0 is, by far, my first choice.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
American muscle used to be my thing. That started to change after a roll over incident in a 73 Lemans (100% my fault) that may have been avoided with a better braking system and the ability to handle corners. This lead me to smaller less outright powerful but still quick cars that were better equipped to corner and brake instead of just being outright fast and powerful in a straight line. I still love the old American muscle but my tastes have definitely evolved to a more rounded machine.

I guess my path is the opposite of Sarlacc.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Mine have most definitely changed. I have never been a big supporter of Ford ( even though i owned 2 expeditions) but they have become very appealing to me as of late. There have always been brands i said over the years id like to own and others i said id never own.. I have always been a big Honda supporter and liked them and their size and vowing to never be like my dad and like the bigger cars but as i get older the larger cars have become more appealing to me. Id like to have something the size of the Genesis to the A8 now as a car, though i still need to have my smaller handle well sporty car. Hyundai is a maker i never thought i would ever look at but they have changed my opinion on them. I find myself with an open mind on all manufacturers now.
Ferrari will always be my dream car though..
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Maybe. I'm waiting to see what happens at Ford. Mustang 5.0 is, by far, my first choice.
What if Hyundai puts their new 5.0 in the Genesis Coup
Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Yes and no.

I still like the same sports cars I liked growing up. Porsche, Ferrari, etc. I think the design of them continue to attract my attention.

What has changed is that I was always a fan of driving and owning a tastefully modded car. While I still enjoy looking at them, I really don't have as much fun driving them anymore.

Lastly....I always thought Mini-vans were horrible and unattractive. That has also changed a bit. There are a few of them that I would own.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Nice idea.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
That would be really I would like them make the car look a little more "grown up". That's one of the great things about the 'Stang....it still looks like a 'Stang.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
yeah as i was growing up didn't really have a preference, shit i was young had crappy jobs couldn't really be to picky so settled for what i could get.

younger years anything small and fast was my preference. civic's,integra's,240sx's so forth so on. Only owned one out of that group 240 sx.

As time passed was more interested in bigger cars sedans with power. Such as mazda millenia"s, Tl's,maxima's. While being able to drive all only owned TL's.

Had the exotic car phases but that thus far has been just wishful thinking for the fact they cost way to much money. Maybe in the future. At the same time i still eye them to keep up with the news.

Now i would have to say i am evolving again my tastes are changing as i am on my 3rd TL i am feeling like a more luxury yet still sporty approach needs to be taken with my next purchase of a vehicle. Will be keeping an eye out on various companies to see what they do. Shit hopefully ACURA attempts something in my line of thought in the future then i won't have to shop elsewhere.

As much as i like to push the car when i have the chance as the next man i am getting older and i see my fast&the furious days slowly SLOWLY fading away looking more to a better mixture of luxury & sport. It comes to the point now that luxury is more than just leather seats,power everything & a sun roof.

lol the other day while hanging with the boys having car talk they told me i need about 3 different cars then i will satisfied.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Yes and no.

I still like the same sports cars I liked growing up. Porsche, Ferrari, etc. I think the design of them continue to attract my attention.

What has changed is that I was always a fan of driving and owning a tastefully modded car. While I still enjoy looking at them, I really don't have as much fun driving them anymore.
Pretty much sums me up as well. Before I'd buy a car and see what bolt-ons I can put on it. Now, I just do a couple little things but try to keep the car comfy. I don't care so much about going fast anymore. It's more about keeping the car looking good and keeping it functional. I think the fact that we've owned a different level of car has a lot to do with it as well. Bolting on an intake and exhaust to a 3.0CL or TLS is one thing... not not something I would do to our E350...
Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I still like all the same types of cars I did when I was growing up - American muscle, Porsche, and the occasional Japanese import. The only thing that has really changed is my opinion on spoilers...used to like them, now I don't 95% of the time, regardless of type or actual functionality.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,273 Likes on 2,640 Posts
I also fall into the same category of yes and no. There are some cars that I still love from when I was in high school. BMW M1/733i/633i/533i, Porsche 928's and Ferrari 308's. But mostly I look for great design, whether it be a Honda Odyssey or new Fiat 500. Doesn't have to be a sportscar, that's one reason I would rather have a M5 over a C6 Z06.

Although I mod'ed cars alot when I was younger these days I prefer stock, even the BMW Alpina or Porsche Ruf cars turn me off compared to the stock originals. But that's just personal tastes.

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Yes and no.

Lastly....I always thought Mini-vans were horrible and unattractive. That has also changed a bit. There are a few of them that I would own.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I think my attitude towards cars has changed a lot... I was never one to worry about actually driving the car or using it for its intended purpose -- but I always kept it spotless and got great pleasure out of taking good care of it.

Now, I take good care of the cars but don't have a single worry about driving any car all day, every day regardless of if its brand new, old, clean, dirty, has stone chips, is raining, snowing, or sunny. I know there will be some stone chips during our years of ownership, etc. I don't go out of my way to damage the car, but I'm certainly in less of a rush to keep a perfect car and just enjoy it whether it's 100% spotless or not that day.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Good idea, Terry. My first car poster was the Countach. Now, that has graduated to the Aventador. But my reality is Acura.....

Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Nope, still a BMW whore at heart.

Although there arent many cars that get my attention anymore on the streets. I rather look at some vintage cars instead of a the latest Ferrari.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
My tastes haven't really changed per se. I'm still into the overall feel of honda's and BMWs/Benzes and admire Ferrari's and Porsche's from afar.

However, 'new' doesn't wow me as much as it used to. I do feel an appreciation for older, late 80s and 90s cars that are well maintained now. Says more about the owner to me.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:56 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
My taste in cars hugely changed a few years ago when I started actually getting into them, learning about modding, and started autocrossing. I used to not care what I drove, whether it would be a jeep or my old mazda, but now I'm really particular with what I'm going to have next: something relatively small, sport oriented, and with at least 6 cylinders (probably a 350z or Z4)
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Wanted a sports sedan when I was young. So I bought a 3G TL.

Wanted a pocket rocket when I graduated from college. So I bought a Mazdaspeed3.

Want a small roadster (Miata/S2K). Failed to convince my lady.

At the same time, I love the Mustangs. (V8 5.0/Boss)
The Challengers, I like.
The Camaros, no way.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The only change for me is the country cars are made from. Like I used to hate all American cars. Now I'm a fan of quite a few.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Sporty somewhat practical coupes, sedans and wagons all the way. Only change is that as I age I'm more into comfort. The TL works fine for me, a Mustang not so much anymore.

I think I might enjoy a TDI Jetta Wagon but can't justify the price. Miatas and S2k's are just to much of a pain to get in and out of. This was the previous design of choice.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Yes?

It's no different than my taste in food, music and women, beer, etc. they all change randomly. And I can enjoy almost everything, whether it comes to cars, food, music, etc. so I wouldn't say my taste has changed.... more of the same actually.

I think the SVT Raptor is one of the baddest vehicles in production today simply because of what it's capable of. Can't even think of anything else purchasable through a dealership that was purpose built to do what it does. People think it's weird when I mention that I like muscle cars (I'm Asian) but I fell in love ever since I saw and heard a white 93-97 Camaro do a huge burnout near my elementary school right as I was getting picked up by my brother.

I would be happy driving/riding a multitude of vehicles. I toyed with the idea of getting an ATV once, seriously considered a motorcycle (flip flopped between the ideal of a HD V-Rod or some Japanese supersport), would be happy in an Integra, Lexus GS or a very loud Mustang, even a truck.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Ever since I started watching the early seasons of Top Gear, I'd say my car tastes have changed dramatically.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Nope, still a BMW whore at heart.

Although there arent many cars that get my attention anymore on the streets. I rather look at some vintage cars instead of a the latest Ferrari.

I find myself doing the same thing. And Ferrari? Unless it's a front engine, I rarely do a passing glance at anything past a 328.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Not really. My favorites have just evolved...there was no Pagani or Koenigsegg growing up. But, still love the same types of cars...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I do think the internet may have ruined my excitement to see exotics in person. I see them on the internet all the time so seeing it in person loses its lust.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Actually my taste has changed alot, I used to love earlier honda's those in the 89-95 year range then I saw the 2000 body style and was hooked at that since, but now the only thing that I have eyes for now is the older japanese/european roadsters and classic style cars.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yes.

no longer interested in exotics or high end europeans.

lately been looking at older japanese (ae86, preludes, integras, 240sx, etc.). going back to simple, light, low, easy to drive.

also really interested in trucks and SUVs with mild lift kits (4"). F350s, V8 4Runners, tahoe/escalade.

Quick Reply: Have your automotive tastes changed throughout the years?