have 15K to spend, need a used family car...help me out

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3rd row seating is great; that's probably one of the only reasons my parents still keep the '02 Odyssey parked around at the house...

And as we got older, we went from the minivan to the I35 for family trips. The slightly larger size of an Accord compared with a lot of the midsizers earlier this decade (and even some now) is probably perfect for a family of 4 and whatever junk we (the kids) decide to bring along.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by tnobori1
It comes in handy so many times, it's not even funny. There have been so many times when grandparents or friends want to come along with us.

Uhh... you realize the third row isn't in a permanently fixed position, right?
Sure, but the hardware with third row seats guarantee less cargo space. If the RX had third-row seats, it'd have less cargo space with the seats folded. They gotta go somewhere.

I agree that third row seats are convenient in general, but I don't think they're particularly relevant when looking for a baby car, you know what I mean?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Sure, but the hardware with third row seats guarantee less cargo space. If the RX had third-row seats, it'd have less cargo space with the seats folded. They gotta go somewhere.

I agree that third row seats are convenient in general, but I don't think they're particularly relevant when looking for a baby car, you know what I mean?
Nope, hardware does not make for less storage space. The seats fold into the floor of our MDX. Check it out sometime. As for preference, I understand that different people have different needs (it should kinda go without saying). That said, we needed a third row with our baby because seating for 5 just isn't practical with a growing family, even though we won't have more than two children. There are always in-laws, friends, etc that are nearby and it sucks taking two cars everywhere.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts

Not true. Sorry.

The Highlander rides on the same platform as the RX...the Highlander is longer, roomier and has third row seats. When the seat are folded down, you have a ton of cargo room. Just like any other flat fold seat in SUVs or Minivans.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
The Third Ball

Nope, hardware does not make for less storage space. The seats fold into the floor of our MDX. Check it out sometime. As for preference, I understand that different people have different needs (it should kinda go without saying). That said, we needed a third row with our baby because seating for 5 just isn't practical with a growing family, even though we won't have more than two children. There are always in-laws, friends, etc that are nearby and it sucks taking two cars everywhere.
I agree...and for my needs, 3rd row will become a necessity.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
300c...
Old 01-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Taking your MDX example, the third row seats fold flat into the floor right? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if the seats were removed, you'd have a lower floor?

You've convinced me, just asking.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:40 PM
The Third Ball

Taking your MDX example, the third row seats fold flat into the floor right? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if the seats were removed, you'd have a lower floor?

No because the 3rd row folds flat with with the rear cargo space.

Removing seats and storing them is SUCH a pain the ass.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,830 Likes on 4,281 Posts
Oddy or Sienna and be done with it.

3 rows...7 passengers and good cargo capacity with the 3rd row still UP.
4 passengers with huge capacity with the 3rd row down.
3rd row down and pull the 2nd row out...can haul full 4'x8' sheets of plywood....add an addition to your house
Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by pttl
Oddy or Sienna and be done with it.

3 rows...7 passengers and good cargo capacity with the 3rd row still UP.
4 passengers with huge capacity with the 3rd row down.
3rd row down and pull the 2nd row out...can haul full 4'x8' sheets of plywood....add an addition to your house
not within his budget for what they want. He has said it enough times.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,830 Likes on 4,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
not within his budget for what they want. He has said it enough times.
Talking to you guys...not him.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

No.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
No because the 3rd row folds flat with with the rear cargo space.

Removing seats and storing them is SUCH a pain the ass.
Yes.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
narrowed it down to an 08 accord, going to snag one up this weekend, there are two dealers in town with a good amount of CPO cars....hoping I can swing a V6, most in the 30-50Kmile range go for 21...hoping I can talk down to 19 and get 4.5 for her accord.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Have a few friends who have an '07 or '08 Accord with TWO children (one in infant rear-facing seat and the other child in convertible rear-facing seat) and it does them just fine with plenty of room in the trunk for every day travel. For trips of longer than an hour or for when they need the cargo space, they have a van.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
It comes in handy so many times, it's not even funny. There have been so many times when grandparents or friends want to come along with us.

Uhh... you realize the third row isn't in a permanently fixed position, right?

we have zero friends or family out here...not worried
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by greddycl-s01
300c...
did think about that...there is a pretty SRT8 at the dealer

just not comfortable with the reliability and fit and finish of the 300C
Old 01-22-2011, 04:45 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Have a few friends who have an '07 or '08 Accord with TWO children (one in infant rear-facing seat and the other child in convertible rear-facing seat) and it does them just fine with plenty of room in the trunk for every day travel. For trips of longer than an hour or for when they need the cargo space, they have a van.
that kind of makes me nervous....because the accord will be our long trip cargo space vehicle....

that said, we've somehow survived in two door coupes for a long time. 3 moves cross country, etc....
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 AM
teh Senior Instigator

alright, today i'm loading up the accord with a ton of stuff and taking it to reconsider an explorer
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
You were able to bring one home overnight?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 AM

that kind of makes me nervous....because the accord will be our long trip cargo space vehicle....

that said, we've somehow survived in two door coupes for a long time. 3 moves cross country, etc....
Everyone I know with a van loves it. They always grumble and hate getting one, but after using it for a week or two, they bow their heads and mumble that they actually kinda love it and don't know how they lived their lives without one. The other advantage of a van when you have more kids is that you can sit in the back with them on long trips to help keep them calm and entertained (read: quiet).

There are definitely vehicles that will make things more convenient and easy, but I know plenty of families who have two children (one family with three kids) still in car seats who have Mazda 3s, Mazda 5s and Pontiac Vibes as their ONLY vehicle and they've managed just fine with a regular ole back seat and tiny cargo hatch. Somehow, people always make things work. I'd opt for something bigger, but they've been living life with their eco-sized cars and doing alright....somehow. So I'm sure you'll have no problem finding something that you'll both be happy with (that isn't a van).

Last edited by Street Spirit; 01-22-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
The 08 is the current version of the Accord, which is a large car.

Our 07 AV6 was great for daily use with our then infant daughter. But it was our trip to Va Beach (from NJ) with her, our other daughter and wife's aunt (and a full trunk of luggage) that led us to reconsider our family car needs when it came to prolonged road trips. This is what led to us trading it for our 09 MDX. However, the AV6 was GREAT on gas....which (aside from being newer) is the only reason why I'd recommend it over the 5.5G Maxima/I35.

In line with NSXNEXT's post, my son has an 05 Altima and it has a VERY roomy interior, large trunk and is well built. So well cared for 05-06 Altima 3.5SE/SL wouldn't be a bad way to go. (I'd say SE-R but it wont have the ride quality of the SE/SL.)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
The 08 is the current version of the Accord, which is a large car.

Our 07 AV6 was great for daily use with our then infant daughter. But it was our trip to Va Beach (from NJ) with her, our other daughter and wife's aunt (and a full trunk of luggage) that led us to reconsider our family car needs when it came to prolonged road trips. This is what led to us trading it for our 09 MDX. However, the AV6 was GREAT on gas....which (aside from being newer) is the only reason why I'd recommend it over the 5.5G Maxima/I35.

In line with NSXNEXT's post, my son has an 05 Altima and it has a VERY roomy interior, large trunk and is well built. So well cared for 05-06 Altima 3.5SE/SL wouldn't be a bad way to go. (I'd say SE-R but it wont have the ride quality of the SE/SL.)
Then my friends must have an '07. It was the last gen. Know 2-3 families who fit two seats in both the current gen Altima and previous gen (although current one seems roomier).... In reality, everyone I know who has *chosen* to stick with a sedan has done fine. My friends and people I know who have had a sedan and then gotten a van have sung the praises of extra space....but again, did just fine with the car too. A car definitely is not the way to go if you plan on having more adults in the car + their cargo on a regular basis. Car works well if you just use it for your family's needs.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts

It's a lot different with the kid. I'm just saying. I hate the idea of a van, but if we had another kid it would have been a necessity. Hell, half the time I wished we had more room than the Pathfinder.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Roof rack? You could mount one of those cargo thingers on top to hold smaller things on long trips, and use the trunk for larger cargo. I know they make tow hook attachments as well. Could be helpful with your long trip issue.

Or you could just rent a car for those times, unless you do a LOT of long trips. Renting a van for long trips > owning a van for long trips, IMO
Old 01-22-2011, 03:56 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by dallison
You were able to bring one home overnight?
no no, meant he accord coupe we have

Went looking at the explorer and accord today. Frankly I think the explorer is overpriced. I was able to talk the honda dealer down A LOT on a 08 V6 w/ 35K. White with the tan leather. I think i'll pull the trigger monday, still going to go look at a used older gen pilot before I make a final decision

we are looking to buy a house end of the year, and frankly all the SUV's and Vans are just out of our range for the reliability factor we want. That said, buying used is also a plus because resale should be much kinder then buying new
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM

Roof rack? You could mount one of those cargo thingers on top to hold smaller things on long trips, and use the trunk for larger cargo. I know they make tow hook attachments as well. Could be helpful with your long trip issue.

Or you could just rent a car for those times, unless you do a LOT of long trips. Renting a van for long trips > owning a van for long trips, IMO
True! If you don't take long trips regularly, you can always rent or borrow a larger vehicle. One of the friends who has 2 kids and the Vibe traveled a lot this summer, so they bought a soft cargo box (bag) for the roof. That served them well and was much cheaper than having a huge vehicle that they feel they don't have the need for the other 10 months of the year. Another friend actually had a VW Beetle and used that for her first child's entire first 1.5 years. Personally, don't know how she did it, but she made it work.

You can always resell and get something else if/when you have a second child and feel you need the space. In the interim, I'm sure you'll find something suitable and won't spend extra money on something that you don't need for a while.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
no no, meant he accord coupe we have

Went looking at the explorer and accord today. Frankly I think the explorer is overpriced. I was able to talk the honda dealer down A LOT on a 08 V6 w/ 35K. White with the tan leather. I think i'll pull the trigger monday, still going to go look at a used older gen pilot before I make a final decision

we are looking to buy a house end of the year, and frankly all the SUV's and Vans are just out of our range for the reliability factor we want. That said, buying used is also a plus because resale should be much kinder then buying new
I know some have mentioned the Pilot as well. My sister has one. Amazing value IMO. You can get a couple around 50K miles in your price range. They also have a ton of space.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

If you have not test drive one, I recommend taking one out for a spin.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM
teh Senior Instigator

alright, went to car max today so we could look at a few things, pilot is in the running, going to cost me more then i wanted.....accord still there....but also added the Ford Edge....what you guys know about them?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Heavy as fawk What year is it?

And if the Pilot is a bit expensive, take a look at the Highlander, or CR-V if you want to take it a step down.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

highlanders ain't cheap....weight isn't a concern
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
teh Senior Instigator

edge is lighter then pilot
Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Edge is pretty small compared to the Pilot no?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
The Third Ball

Edge is very highly rated. Most people I know with them, love them.

In fact...a friend who is pregnant with their first just picked up a pre-owned one for the baby.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
I just went through the same $15K price range search with a friend who has a 3-year-old.

The Pilot is probably #1 on the list, but finding a lower-mileage leather-clad vehicle in the $15K range will be difficult.

The 2011 Ford Edge is quite impressive, but the 2010 and older models not so much. The interiors are cheap, especially compared to the new one. The Explorer is antiquated, but as a former happy owner of a Ford Escape, I recommend the Escape. The design is completely changing next year, but if you can handle that, it's hard to beat the Escape.

One wild card is the Saturn Vue. Many people don't realize that the 2004-2007 Saturn Vue had the MDX's 3.5L V6. For a brief period, Honda provided GM the 3.5L V6 and GM provided Honda OnStar (I have OnStar in our 2006 MDX).

If you can get past some of the plastic, the Vue V6 (especially the Red Line) is a pretty reliable SUV with the Honda engine and can be had pretty cheap.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Edge is pretty small compared to the Pilot no?
seats are more roomy, no third seat so a little less back space
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/2106038607.html

'08 Highlander?

seats are more roomy, no third seat so a little less back space
And shitty brakes are also included. The first gen Edge is nothing special, I'd rather have a Pilot:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/edge/...ford-edge.html
Old 01-25-2011, 03:19 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I second the 3G TL. Im married & have 2 kids... 10 and 3.(3yo is still in a full size car seat) We fit great! 29-32 Highway ALL DAY LONG. Plus reliability, power and not to mention everything is voice activated... (well almost everything LOL) MUST GET THE NAVI THOUGH

Last edited by TRIOD3SIGNS; 01-25-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
As a matter of fact, Im going to put money on it. Before you buy the accord, go test drive a 3G TL, just test drive it.

YOU WONT BE SORRY.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
As a matter of fact, Im going to put money on it. Before you buy the accord, go test drive a 3G TL, just test drive it.

YOU WONT BE SORRY.
I agree.... If you want a more plush ride with good control and handling, then get accord. If you want a firm/solid ride with very quiet interior, go with the TL. I'm a paraplegic and when i have pax (aviation term for passenger) riding up front, they put my wheelchair in trunk. My chr is def bigger than a stroller....lol
Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
I see some people recommended Subaru. And that is always a good choice

But I would also take a look at a Volvo XC70. Yes, it's a wagon, but an AWD, great driving car with a good amount of space. Used ones from the 2004 model year are around $14K or less. This ad is for a dealer in PA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XC70-2-5L-CD-AWD-Steering-Wheel-Controls-Cloth-Seats-/400188264592?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item5d2d145090 #ht_19170wt_1167

I had a V70 for 5 years, and two car seats (plus a built in booster seat in the middle) and it was great. Nice handling and easy to drive and service.

Just a thought.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 AM
teh Senior Instigator

looked at the XC, almost bought one about two weeks back (was sold the night before I went to look at it)....hear reliability whore stories

Quick Reply: have 15K to spend, need a used family car...help me out