pulsating grinding/squeaking noise when braking at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pulsating grinding/squeaking noise when braking at low speed

2006 Acura CSX, 230,000 km. For the last 4 years, a pulsating grinding/squeaking noise has come from the right front wheel during braking at low speeds. Calipers, rotors, and brake pads have all been replaced. Problem went away for a year, but now after having my tires rotated (swapped front tires with back) during an oil change, the noise has come back--pulsating grinding/squeaking sound when braking at low speed. I had the tires rotated because there was a loud humming sound at around 80 km/h, and a mechanic suggested rotating the tires to see if the humming noise would stop (which he thought would indicate an alignment problem). The humming noise is still there after the tire rotation.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2021, 05:03 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Wheel bearings? Brake dust shield not hitting or interfering in anyway?

Sound and vibration only when going straight? Same sound braking when turning left or right? Any other times.

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 03-26-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Wheel bearings? Brake dust shield not hitting or interfering in anyway?

Sound and vibration only when going straight? Same sound braking when turning left or right? Any other times.
Wheel bearings and dust shield were checked. Grinding/ squealing sound only when braking at low speed, regardless of whether going straight or turning. The humming noise occurs between 50 km an hour and 80 km an hour, also regardless of whether going straight or turning.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:04 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Possibly the brake caliper is stuck in the out position or the pins are not sliding?
Old 03-27-2021, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Are you going to the same mechanic each time? Maybe they over-torqued your lug nuts. I've heard that can distort the rotors. It's the only thing I can think of since you said problem went away for awhile but came back after tire rotation.

Also, in my experience, you cannot always tell if a wheel bearing is good or bad. It may feel fine at the low revolutions we check but then be problematic at highway speeds.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrmako
Possibly the brake caliper is stuck in the out position or the pins are not sliding?
Caliper position and pins were checked.

Originally Posted by wackjum
Are you going to the same mechanic each time? Maybe they over-torqued your lug nuts. I've heard that can distort the rotors. It's the only thing I can think of since you said problem went away for awhile but came back after tire rotation.

​​​Also, in my experience, you cannot always tell if a wheel bearing is good or bad. It may feel fine at the low revolutions we check but then be problematic at highway speeds.
​​​​​​Good points. It's been different mechanics each time. I'll ask to have the wheel bearings checked again.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,862 Likes on 3,482 Posts
Originally Posted by wpoet
2006 Acura CSX, 230,000 km. For the last 4 years, a pulsating grinding/squeaking noise has come from the right front wheel during braking at low speeds.
FOUR YEARS? WTF dude.
The following users liked this post:
1killercls (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Did you do a brake fluid flush when you replaced the calipers rotors pads?
Old 03-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
8 posts in and no one is mentioning anything about pulsating and grinding??? Seems like that would be normal in some cars around here...
Old 03-30-2021, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
If the issue can be easily republicated, take it to a different mech and get it checked.
It would be difficult if the issue is not always there... like whenever you bring it to the shop, the car is perfect fine. But when there is no one around, you can bet your ass that the noise is there.

My $ is still on the pad/rotor/calipers
I dont think rotating tires would cause this unless they accidentally damaged your brake components in the process. Have you tried to put your tires back to their original position and see what happens?

As far as humming noise, check your shocks to see if they are leaking. Also check for uneven or bald spots on the tires. My Gf's 2008 CIVIC, which i believe is the same as your CSX had those humming noise too. After many dealership visits, they still could not figure out what was going on. She lived with it for many years as well. Until there were more and more ppl complaining about it. It turned out to be the rear shocks failed prematurely that cause the tires to wear out much faster and unevenly. = humming noise at higher speed.

That Gen's Civic and CSX quality is just shit... brake sucks, shock sucks,... even the rear 3rd brake light sucks, headlight sucks everything about that car sucked! oh yah paint sucked too... i dont think i know any car that has worse paint quality than 8th Gen's Civic...

Obviously, you can also check if they balanced your wheels/tires correctly. and also there is the bearing.. but you said you checked those already.

Now this is what AZ would recommend, get a new car. 100% fix.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-30-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
If the issue can be easily republicated, take it to a different mech and get it checked.
It would be difficult if the issue is not always there... like whenever you bring it to the shop, the car is perfect fine. But when there is no one around, you can bet your ass that the noise is there.

My $ is still on the pad/rotor/calipers
I dont think rotating tires would cause this unless they accidentally damaged your brake components in the process. Have you tried to put your tires back to their original position and see what happens?

As far as humming noise, check your shocks to see if they are leaking. Also check for uneven or bald spots on the tires. My Gf's 2008 CIVIC, which i believe is the same as your CSX had those humming noise too. After many dealership visits, they still could not figure out what was going on. She lived with it for many years as well. Until there were more and more ppl complaining about it. It turned out to be the rear shocks failed prematurely that cause the tires to wear out much faster and unevenly. = humming noise at higher speed.

That Gen's Civic and CSX quality is just shit... brake sucks, shock sucks,... even the rear 3rd brake light sucks, headlight sucks everything about that car sucked! oh yah paint sucked too... i dont think i know any car that has worse paint quality than 8th Gen's Civic...

Obviously, you can also check if they balanced your wheels/tires correctly. and also there is the bearing.. but you said you checked those already.

Now this is what AZ would recommend, get a new car. 100% fix.
Thanks for all your observations/suggestions. The steering now pulls hard to the right when I start driving the car but then seems to straighten out after a few minutes... I'll have the wheel bearings checked again. All of these noises started around the time that I hit a pothole really hard a few years ago.

Would love to get a new car but not an option right now alas...!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Did you do a brake fluid flush when you replaced the calipers rotors pads?
I haven't; thanks for suggesting that, will check it out.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wpoet
Thanks for all your observations/suggestions. The steering now pulls hard to the right when I start driving the car but then seems to straighten out after a few minutes... I'll have the wheel bearings checked again. All of these noises started around the time that I hit a pothole really hard a few years ago.

Would love to get a new car but not an option right now alas...!
This is what i would do... take the car to get all the suspension component checked.., especially shocks. If anything that needs to be replaced, replace it ... you can get Autozone (or whatever equivalent you have in Canada) shocks or any other aftermarket ones. I dont suggest to get the OEM ones as they suck, my GF got the OE replacement from Autozone and they solved the humming noise, tire issues and they lasted until she sold the car in 2020.
You can then get an alignment after. While you are at it, check all 4 wheels for cracks (inner side, where you cannot see from outside) and balancing...

I am guessing something broke when you hit that pot hole
Old 04-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Cruisin'

Took the car into the mechanic. He said the left rear and right front bearings and hubs should be replaced, along with the right front rotor. He gave an estimate of 2000 CAD or about 1600 USD. How difficult is it to change the bearings and hubs and rotor? Keep in mind I've never done anything harder than an oil change and have no tools; I live in an apartment.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

i personally would not spend $1600 USD to fix something on a 2006 CSX/Civic... it just does not make sense financially.

Call around to see if that is a legit price. I dont know how much they cost. But it just seems kinda high for what it is considering there is no extra work involved for rotors and the hub. Besides rotors can be resurfaced, until they can't be anymore. All the parts are relatively cheap.

Take a look at the videos on youtube and see if that is something you are willing to take on.... i dont think the parts are that expensive. You can also borrow tools. or just buy a tool set.
No matter what, it will be much much much cheaper DIY than $1600 USD.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-01-2021 at 06:52 PM.
wpoet (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,862 Likes on 3,482 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
i personally would not spend $1600 USD to fix something on a 2006 CSX/Civic... it just does not make sense financially.
Especially since the BlueBook value on a TSX (closest model I could get on KBB) is $1792-2843.
1killercls (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 01:07 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Dump the car. Not worth it to fix it.