Got a ticket in Riverside Co. CA- but it appears 'lost'??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Got a ticket in Riverside Co. CA- but it appears 'lost'??

I'm interested in hearing from anyone getting a speeding ticket in Riverside County recently. (Don't be speeding on 79 past Anza going to Palm Springs even with a radar detector- there's a top-gun cop that likes to keep his radar off until the last second. He got me for 75 but graciously wrote me up for 65 instead.)

I got a speeding ticket in January and never received a courtesy notice. The court
date was fast approaching (3/23/06). I tried calling for information last week and
this week on what to do and quickly got frustrated. Phoning was a waste of time since the phone was either busy or would give me varying fine $ depending on what numberI called. I had no desire fighting the ticket and have no problems qualifying for traffic school since I haven't had a ticket in 8 or so years. I assumed the notice got lost in the mail.

Well today I drove to Temecula to deal with the ticket and request traffic school.
Much to my surprise the Court Clerk couldn't find any record of the ticket. So I'm
wondering to myself how screwed up is this county? There's no way to pay a fine and get traffic school approved. The clerk suggested that I use the time- clock to stamp my ticket so I could prove that I tried to resolve the ticket.

I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence or am I just lucky. I'd hate to get
pulled over in 5 years and find out that there's a warrant for my arrest for failing
to appear. I'm sure my kids would be shocked to see daddy getting arrested.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do? One part of me says to ignore and hope the CHP 'lost' the ticket and the other part of me thinks the ticket is on someone's desk awaiting data entry and it's just a matter of time that I need to pay up.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I got a speeding ticket in January and never received a courtesy notice...

I'd hate to get pulled over in 5 years and find out that there's a warrant for my arrest for failing to appear.
Courtesy notices are not required, so some jurisdictions don't even bother with them.
The good news is that you probably won't be arrested for missing the court date; other stuff will likely happen before then. If the ticket is located, it may be sent to collection and you can then set a court date through the collection agency, or your license will be placed on "hold" for renewal until resolution of the ticket and you will find out about it then.
"Ignorance is bliss" in this case... G/L.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Make sure you have proof you went in! I had the same thing happened to me in Beverly HIlls about 5 years ago, before I knew it I had a warrant out. (edit, see you time stamped it)

Luckily I had proof I went in. I think they have up to a year to file.

edit: Wow, should have read your post more