Got a new SUV- Infiniti QX56

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that qx56 is one bigass suv! it's so tall that it trumps the TSX. the height of the TSX only goes about halfaway to where the the start of the glass windows of the QX56 start.

nice choice, but 2 bad things i don't like about the QX56 is the horrible gas mileage 10 city/13 highway and the fact that it's the only infiniti not made in japan.

i'm hoping that infiniti makes another suv that is like pathfinder size to fit in between the FX and QX models.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by Mokos23
that qx56 is one bigass suv! it's so tall that it trumps the TSX. the height of the TSX only goes about halfaway to where the the start of the glass windows of the QX56 start.

nice choice, but 2 bad things i don't like about the QX56 is the horrible gas mileage 10 city/13 highway and the fact that it's the only infiniti not made in japan.

i'm hoping that infiniti makes another suv that is like pathfinder size to fit in between the FX and QX models.
I love driving my TSX for just the reason that you inferred...it is small and very enjoyable to drive. The QX is more of a luxury liner.

Gas mileage is not that bad. Sticker is 12/17 for 4WD and we're getting almost 15 w/just 1400 on the clock so that should improve some. This is right in line with the rest of the class.

I know that the QX is made in Canton, MS which has had multiple start up quality issues. So far, so good b/c I have not found one fit/finish issue on our truck. I know that Ghosn has been on MS factory to get their act together b/c the quality gaffes were killing Nissan's reputation.

Supposedly the next QX will be built in Japan too and will no longer share the Armada platform. Ironically enough, we almost bought the QX4 when we got the Pathfinder, but could not justify the extra $$$ and were not in a financial position at that point to just do it b/c we "wanted it". The rumors on the Nissan/Infiniti boards that I frequent are that Infiniti will put out a 3 row CUV bigger than the FX, but not quite QX sized. I don't see Infiniti giving up the QX model b/c it acts as a halo type vehicle and competes nicely for the Escalade/Navigator/GL/LX570/Range Rover crowd.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by keg1997
Are you sure on that price? The MSRP has not dropped at all...in fact it was raised $200 on 2/1. Since ours was fresh from the factory, we got hit with that increase.

These things definitely lose some value, but we had to have a 08 b/c of the new interior and the only used ones that I saw were only a couple grand cheaper. Not worth it to me for something that we'll keep for a good while.
Yea, it was some ridiculous figure like that with taxes. Ridiculous because he didnt need the truck and that was about equal to his income at the time.

Then I saw this on CL last week http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/car/600010344.html Half price!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 AM
on to the next one...

Congrats!

the mrs. and I are considering the Seqoia or the Denali. The Escalade is just too much$$, though I dove a fully loaded 08 for the last 5 days, and I must say, I wish I could afford it.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Congrats!

the mrs. and I are considering the Seqoia or the Denali. The Escalade is just too much$$, though I dove a fully loaded 08 for the last 5 days, and I must say, I wish I could afford it.
Thanks! I don't see how the Escalade is worth that much more than the Denali. It does have some neat/cool features over the Denali, but not enough to warrant the extra dough. Both are good vehicles and you'll be happy with either one. Good luck and post pics when you get one!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,429 Posts
The rumors on the Nissan/Infiniti boards that I frequent are that Infiniti will put out a 3 row CUV bigger than the FX, but not quite QX sized.

hmmmmmm interesting
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by is300eater
hmmmmmm interesting
+1.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Armadas are freaking huge inside and they're pretty fast too.

I'll refrain from any negative comments, congrats.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT
Then I saw this on CL last week http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/car/600010344.html Half price!
that's most likely a 2WD model since 4wd isn't mentioned. significantly less expensive than 4wd.

Last edited by zeroday; 03-31-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Hey now!
Please tell me that you're not a Dook (sucks) fan

The funny thing on that is that when I sold the PF on Craigslist, the guy who bought it (for full KBB ) kept telling his wife that it was "meant to be" since he was buying it from a fellow Carolina fan. I threw in the hitch cover for him

Dook.... I go to NC State...so I'm a State fan....when we have a team...which is never...
Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by HKD LA
Dook.... I go to NC State...so I'm a State fan....when we have a team...which is never...
Good....I don't mind State. My buddy has season tix to State football and I've gone to a few games at Carter-Finley. Nice atmosphere for football, but I missed the Chuck Amato commercials this year. He was hilarious....
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Pro

thats a big ol truck. im thinking about getting a 2002ish qx54.

right now im rockin the 05 highlander, its a small SUV with decent gas mileage and pickup. i get the comforts of a SUV and the ride of a landcruiser but with better mpg. the only problem is that there are literally MILLIONS of highlanders on the road so it loses its appeal quickly.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by Trojanman750
thats a big ol truck. im thinking about getting a 2002ish qx54.

right now im rockin the 05 highlander, its a small SUV with decent gas mileage and pickup. i get the comforts of a SUV and the ride of a landcruiser but with better mpg. the only problem is that there are literally MILLIONS of highlanders on the road so it loses its appeal quickly.
They did not start making the QX56 until '04. There was a QX4 until '03/'04, but it was a clone of the Nissan Pathfinder. If I were you, I'd steer clear of the '04 QX's...it was their first year and they were not the most reliable models. Plus the interior is
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM
on to the next one...

If I were you, I'd steer clear of the '04 QX's...it was their first year and they were not the most reliable models. Plus the interior is
not that it necessarily matters, but the QX56 is the only US made Infiniti model, isn't it?

EDIT: Mokos beat me to it.

Originally Posted by Mokos23
Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Everyday Joe

[QUOTE=bgsm1th] not that it necessarily matters, but the QX56 is the only US made Infiniti model, isn't it?

Probably why they are moving it back to Japan for the next iteration of the QX! Although our QX is rock solid thus far (knocking on wood)...no rattles and fit/finish is superb. In conversing w/other '08 owners, this seems to be the consistent theme. The '05-'07's steadily improved in the Consumer Reports surveys (for whatever they are worth) and perhaps with the improvements incorporated with the '08's, this will be a typical, reliable, low maintenance Infiniti.

I'm waiting to send in the JD Powers survey b/c I know as soon as I send it in w/nothing noted as an issue, we'll have something pop up
Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
what kind of person needs such a vehicle?!!

NO ONE!!!

Gas is at record highs and continues to skyrocket and that thing gets, what, like 9 miles to gallon in city driving and maybe 15 highway???

congrats on your purchase!!

"oh i have a wife and 2 babies so a 6 year old pathfinder just wont do"

do you know how much of an asshole that makes you sound like?????

there are millions of families with twice as many children as you and 1/2 as much resources and they do fine. life is too short, set a better example for your children and lay off the self absorbed, narcisistic behavior!!! And while your at it, show some environmental personal responsibility...your kids have alot longer to live than you do and driving a fucking tank will only ruin further what we have already destroyed on this planet.

have a nice day!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by BubbaMarkTL

NO ONE!!!

Gas is at record highs and continues to skyrocket and that thing gets, what, like 9 miles to gallon in city driving and maybe 15 highway???

there are millions of families with twice as many children as you and 1/2 as much resources and they do fine. life is too short, set a better example for your children and lay off the self absorbed, narcisistic behavior!!! And while your at it, show some environmental personal responsibility...your kids have alot longer to live than you do and driving a fucking tank will only ruin further what we have already destroyed on this planet.

have a nice day!
dude, relax, and stop thread-crapping.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM
on to the next one...

NO ONE!!!

have a nice day!

And what do you drive? A fucking Honda Insight?
Unless you drive an electric (or at the very least, a hybrid) your a complete hypocrite.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bgsm1th

And what do you drive? A fucking Honda Insight?
Unless you drive an electric (or at the very least, a hybrid) your a complete hypocrite.

I drive a 2003 Acura TL-P

not the best car in terms of MPG but certainly LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than a QX56!!!!! Certainly not hypocritical by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, the TL-P is even a ULEV rated car.

you can think what i said was harsh but EVERY LAST WORD of it is gospel truth and you and everyone else reading this thread knows that for a fact. Period.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

not the best car in terms of MPG but certainly LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than a QX56!!!!! Certainly not hypocritical by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, the TL-P is even a ULEV rated car.

you can think what i said was harsh but EVERY LAST WORD of it is gospel truth and you and everyone else reading this thread knows that for a fact. Period.
But how many people do YOU carry around in your car? I'll bet you usually commute by yourself like most Americans. Why do you need such a big car? Wouldn't a Honda Civic Hybrid be just as good and more economically friendly? For that matter, why do you need a car? Motorcycles get much better fuel mileage. Heck, why do you need a motor? Just ride a bicycle to work and set the best example for you children.

Starting to see how ridiculous your style of reasoning gets? Quit knocking the guy. Sure I disagree with his wife's choice to stick to the large SUV, but that's her choice. You acting like a douchebag about it is not going to make that choice go away.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:08 AM

sure, you're right in regards to mileage, and yes, there are many that are unfortunate.

however, unless you know the OP and his current/future situation and needs for a new car, what makes you think you have any right to say he doesn't need this car and/or shows any "self absorbed, narcisistic behavior" to his kids?

seriously. at the end of the day, you're the one that comes off as having the self absorbed, narcisistic behavior.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Love it.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
But how many people do YOU carry around in your car? I'll bet you usually commute by yourself like most Americans. Why do you need such a big car? Wouldn't a Honda Civic Hybrid be just as good and more economically friendly? For that matter, why do you need a car? Motorcycles get much better fuel mileage. Heck, why do you need a motor? Just ride a bicycle to work and set the best example for you children.

Starting to see how ridiculous your style of reasoning gets? Quit knocking the guy. Sure I disagree with his wife's choice to stick to the large SUV, but that's her choice. You acting like a douchebag about it is not going to make that choice go away.
For the record, i live in Chicago and take public transportation to work and pretty much everywhere, my car sits collecting dust in an underground parking garage accept for maybe 1 or 2 trips on the weekend.

youre right, nothing i or anyone says will change this guys decision, lord knows its impossible to back out of a vehicle sale, however if anything, hopefully it caused juts a twang of self reflection and consideration of the greater effects such decisions have. I dont care if hes living paycheck to paycheck credit card Jones, or if hes a millionaire, no one NEEDS a fucking MONSTER SUV like that, NO ONE!!!!

If vanity is so important to that guy he could have gotten one of the multitude of smaller, high-end SUVs out there...but no, he insisted on the biggest most ridiculous thing out there.....and on top of that, phrased his post to sound like this choice was a matter of necessity!!!?!! now THATS why he sounds like an asshole.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Race Director

if i lived in the city, in addition to having the TL, i would get a smart car and park anywhere. also, i would just gas up 1 or 2 times a month.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Racer

wow, no additional responses??? i rest my case!!! people know im right.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

For the record, i live in Chicago and take public transportation to work and pretty much everywhere, my car sits collecting dust in an underground parking garage accept for maybe 1 or 2 trips on the weekend.

youre right, nothing i or anyone says will change this guys decision, lord knows its impossible to back out of a vehicle sale, however if anything, hopefully it caused juts a twang of self reflection and consideration of the greater effects such decisions have. I dont care if hes living paycheck to paycheck credit card Jones, or if hes a millionaire, no one NEEDS a fucking MONSTER SUV like that, NO ONE!!!!

If vanity is so important to that guy he could have gotten one of the multitude of smaller, high-end SUVs out there...but no, he insisted on the biggest most ridiculous thing out there.....and on top of that, phrased his post to sound like this choice was a matter of necessity!!!?!! now THATS why he sounds like an asshole.
Umm, you should be quiet now. He never said that he needed it, just that his wife wanted a big SUV and they shopped around and found that one that both of them (and mostly his wife) likes. And they like it very much, apparently. So what if he or she doesn't really "need" it, it's their choice and you don't have to be such an ass when dolling out your opinion.

BTW you don't know anything. If you want to drive 4 adults and a kid (and/or baby), anywhere comfortably, an big SUV with a good size 3rd row or a Minivan are the requisite options. Realistically, an Odyssey is a huge car, and a QX56 is the Odyssey raised up on 20's.

Regardless, you're not in the same situation he is. So get off your high horse and go suck a lemon.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Everyday Joe

Check a mirror and look at the asshole.

How I spend MY money on MY family is between MY family and me. I feel no need to justify what WE do.

It is quite interesting that out of all of the replies to this thread, yours was the only negative one, and quite pleasantly phrased too. I'm sure that you're quite popular with such a friendly and demure personality.

Thanks for caring though

Last edited by keg1997; 04-01-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Should have bought a 2000 Ford E350 and saved thousands!!

Kidding. Looks really kewl :
Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Race Director

ok i'll bite. shut your pie hole.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by gsi00154
Should have bought a 2000 Ford E350 and saved thousands!!

Kidding. Looks really kewl :
We almost got a dumptruck. That would really impress the neighbors

Thanks for the laugh though!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Some of us actually work for a living instead of surfing AcuraZine all day, numbnuts.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

NO ONE!!!

have a nice day!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:57 PM

wtf..i've never seen that smilie before.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Everyday Joe

Thanks for the back up guys. I think that nearly everybody realizes that I was not trying to show off or impress anybody. I always enjoy when people write about their car buying experiences/comparisons and was looking forward to including mine. As you can tell by the time period that elapsed during our search, this was not a rash decision and much consideration was given to the ramifications of what we were doing. CGTSX2004 summarized it perfectly when he said that my wife wanted the QX even though I may have disagreed with it. Much like she thought I should just get an Accord instead of the TSX a few years back and much like she'd prefer I don't get a convertible for my next car.

Thanks again, but I have to do this...
:gheyhug:
Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
damn nice vehicle, but probably the least reliable vehicle on the road today. i really do like these vehicles also.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Race Director

i think the negative nancy's need to find a different thread.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the back up guys. I think that nearly everybody realizes that I was not trying to show off or impress anybody. I always enjoy when people write about their car buying experiences/comparisons and was looking forward to including mine. As you can tell by the time period that elapsed during our search, this was not a rash decision and much consideration was given to the ramifications of what we were doing. CGTSX2004 summarized it perfectly when he said that my wife wanted the QX even though I may have disagreed with it. Much like she thought I should just get an Accord instead of the TSX a few years back and much like she'd prefer I don't get a convertible for my next car.

Thanks again, but I have to do this...
noooo not the ghey hug...:shakehead

ok fine.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
noooo not the ghey hug...:shakehead

ok fine.

Embrace your "happiness"....typed while my wife has her friends over and I've been hearing 6 chicks hoot and holler over American Idol and Dancing with the Not so famous Stars